Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide

Druid
Prev 1 22 23 24 51 Next
Use glyph of focus. Shift out of twilight realm at the last possible second. There is a travel time delay on wrath, so don't cast SS in lunar until you actually see the moon animation over your head.

12/10/2011 09:47 AMPosted by Duduhip
I've been following the rotation, starting with IS+Shroom detonate, MF, wrath -> SS, wrath -> lunar -> SS -> SF -> solar, while constantly refreshing my DoTs at 2 seconds.

Don't use your shrooms outside of solar. It's fine if you want to go to lunar first, but just make sure you're casting that extra wrath and waiting to cast SF until you actually see the moon animation, otherwise you risk backtracking on your bar.

Make sure you're using starfall only in lunar.

Your haste is pretty low, so yeah, you're going to probably be refreshing dots outside of eclipse. Try doing a double refresh, at least for solar dots (so cast them at the start of solar, and the once more in solar before NG falls off) and see if that gets you all the way through. You're probably going to have to play around with dot application to see what works best for you.

It's true your gear isn't that great, not really because of ilvl, but because you have a lot of crit items (or generally items lacking haste). You should also enchant your stuff, but especially get your leg enchant ASAP, because that's a lot of spirit to be missing (spirit that could be haste).
So i'm actually having troubles with my DPS, yesterday my guild did ultraxion and with everybody doing 25-28k while i myself was stuck at doing around ~21k. Is this normal?

I've been following the rotation, starting with IS+Shroom detonate, MF, wrath -> SS, wrath -> lunar -> SS -> SF -> solar, while constantly refreshing my DoTs at 2 seconds.

Am i doing anything wrong here? Or is it just my gear being too lousy?

You want to get as much haste as possible gear wise, and try to get DI from your warlocks if you have one available. The 3% haste and the 3% dot buff helps out significantly. You're going to want to get a third major glyph, you have the main two and all the other major glyphs are situational so its really just a flavor option. You should also consider dropping blessing of the grove and furor for perseverance to get the reduced damage, that helps your healers out a lot and the 6% damage buff on moonfire isn't that great since you aren't stacking lunar shower (and shouldn't have the talent anyway)

The problem with Ultraxion for boomkins is that we do very good sustained damage, and having to shift in and out of the twilight realm every 20-45 seconds hurts our ability to keep casting. Your dps is going to be lower than what you could normally pull on patchwork style fights because of the heroic will mechanic. That being said, try to squeeze as much as you can out of casting before clicking heroic will, the longer you are in the twilight realm the more dps you should be able to pull.

DS in general is not that great of a raid for boomers to shine on the dps charts due to all the movement and the melee ap buff, so don't let that get you down.
Ah! That explains a lot, I'll have to try to work things out somehow before my next raid. Hopefully something drops off LFR and FL for me.

My guild was unable to down ultra due to the dps i was doing, hitting enrage right at 2mil everytime ;(

Thanks for the help!~

On a side note, what # of haste should i aim for in order to have my DoTs last per lunar->wrath->lunar cycle?
Consider 4t13 + Glyph of Starsurge on multi-target fights. If "multi-target" is too broad of a term, maybe multidot makes more sense.

Ah but wouldn't that only be an issue if you're not already timing starfalls with lunar every single lunar Eclipse?

Currently at close to 2.8k haste, refreshing dots only once per Eclipse, starfalling every other Lunar, and with t12 4p, my Eclipse cycles take an average of ~42 seconds. RNG with euphoria procs, haste racials, haste trinks, tarecgosa, and the like are likely to change this figure so let's take 40 seconds as the base duration for a cycle.

Let's see how things might be with 4p t13. Removing t12 4p, that's approximately an extra un-Nature's Grace buffed starfire+wrath you're adding to an Eclipse cycle, so that's now a 40+1.6+2.2=43.8 second Eclipse cycle.

Add an extra target to the encounter, and that adds another 4-6 gcds into the cycle length, depending on whether you're refreshing dots once again at the end of solar, which you could choose not to do, but you miss out on some of the benefit from 2p t13, so let's take the 6x gcd option. That gives you a almost 50 second-ish Eclipse Cycle, and this is even further increased once you are able to spend that extra gcd every lunar for starfall(assuming of course you starfall in lunar at the earliest possible moment).

So with glyph of starsurge, you wouldn't even need any shooting stars procs at all, all you'd have to do would be to cast something like 2 or so starsurges after starfall, something that's pretty easy even with the 15 sec CD as opposed to 10 secs, and you'd have your starfall up pretty much every lunar on double target fights. Your Eclipse cycles could shorten significantly depending on RNG and your general haste level, which will no doubt increase with gear, but all the above isn't taking into account any Starsurge procs, which you are bound to get one or two of in an Eclipse cycle in any fight where there's more than one boss mob to put dots on.

Like I said though, there are things that could radically change this, like having berserk, lust, haste trink procs and 'good' RNG with Euphoria and Tarecgosa( I don't actually have the staff, but from what I've read it basically has a ~6% chance now to proc and grant you a free spell that generates Eclipse energy, essentially an Euphoria proc with a damage bonus) that would push you in and out of Lunar before starfall came off CD, but such scenarios really only cause you to miss out on starfall once or twice in a fight, and they might not even be something that a 10 sec CD on starsurge would fix.

Just my thoughts.
12/12/2011 12:31 AMPosted by Velaniz
Like I said though, there are things that could radically change this, like having berserk, lust, haste trink procs and 'good' RNG with Euphoria and Tarecgosa( I don't actually have the staff, but from what I've read it basically has a ~6% chance now to proc and grant you a free spell that generates Eclipse energy, essentially an Euphoria proc with a damage bonus) that would push you in and out of Lunar before starfall came off CD, but such scenarios really only cause you to miss out on starfall once or twice in a fight, and they might not even be something that a 10 sec CD on starsurge would fix.

You might be right. One fight to consider, however, is Madness - a heavy multidot fight with a 20% haste bonus that should be significantly shortening rotations.

But in general I think you're correct, the bonus simply isn't necessary.
Sorry if I sound pretty noob,

I recently got back into the game. I am still in the process of collecting my gear. My dual spec resto/boom. I was just wondering if the two spec can share the same items.

My thought is trying to have all pieces of gear containing haste and reforge spirit to mastery. Will this work?
Sorry if I sound pretty noob,

I recently got back into the game. I am still in the process of collecting my gear. My dual spec resto/boom. I was just wondering if the two spec can share the same items.

My thought is trying to have all pieces of gear containing haste and reforge spirit to mastery. Will this work?

Well, balance requires a specific amount of spirit (hit) while resto requires only enough for you to feel comfortable with your regen. After hit cap, balance wants as much haste as possible, where as resto prefers mastery over haste when you're in between break points.

So, the stats are similar, but you're not going to be able to excel in both specs using the same gear. You can gear towards one spec and just know that you'll be mediocre at the other, or you can build separate sets.

But that doesn't mean that the separate sets can't have pieces that overlap. It's not like every single piece needs to be unique.
Okay, before 4.3, I was doing around 26k single target dps. Now, I have not changed my rotation or anything, but I am only doing like 16-17k now. :( I now have replaced some of my ilvl 378 with 384s, 390s, 397s, etc and I think that may be where the problem lies. I am still using the standard rotation (IS>MF>STARSURGE->etc.) to proc eclipse and all that I always have used, except, now in heroics and raids, I see I am doing way less dps all of a sudden. My armory link is: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malfurion/Coleturner/simple

Please if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I don't understand how upgrading to better gear or if its the 4.3 patch (which i thought was minor changes to boomkins) that is giving me problems.... but, I don't like being 16-17k dps single target, when I had worse gear before doing 10k more dps. Any help is appreciated. Plus, solar beam never works on bosses.... pretty useless AOE interupt. I wish druids had just one interupt..... Just a wish I guess. Anyway, any dps tips will be greatly appreciated and if I need to change my reforging, let me know- but, for the most part, I am hit capped and I reforge into haste like I am supposed to I believe. Just let me know! Thank you so much!
Hello, wonderful guide you have there.
I still don't have 2 new trinkets and I don't know which ones to use. I have the one which stacks Intellect (normal) and the DMC, the Ragnaros one (Normal too). Is it better to buy the valor one?
Thanks for the guide :)
I would say use the Will of Unbinding (I'm very jelly) and VPLC (rag normal). DMC:V and VPLC are pretty close but what I use to value the trinkets shows VPLC ahead. Of course wrath calcs will give you a definitive answer. I personally would spend the VP on the belt, you aren't really hurting for a trinket and the belt is pretty amazing.

Okay, before 4.3, I was doing around 26k single target dps. Now, I have not changed my rotation or anything, but I am only doing like 16-17k now. :( I now have replaced some of my ilvl 378 with 384s, 390s, 397s, etc and I think that may be where the problem lies. I am still using the standard rotation (IS>MF>STARSURGE->etc.) to proc eclipse and all that I always have used, except, now in heroics and raids, I see I am doing way less dps all of a sudden. My armory link is: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malfurion/Coleturner/simple

Please if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I don't understand how upgrading to better gear or if its the 4.3 patch (which i thought was minor changes to boomkins) that is giving me problems.... but, I don't like being 16-17k dps single target, when I had worse gear before doing 10k more dps. Any help is appreciated. Plus, solar beam never works on bosses.... pretty useless AOE interupt. I wish druids had just one interupt..... Just a wish I guess. Anyway, any dps tips will be greatly appreciated and if I need to change my reforging, let me know- but, for the most part, I am hit capped and I reforge into haste like I am supposed to I believe. Just let me know! Thank you so much!

Your armory shows that you didn't do any Firelands so are you talking about your 5 man dps? Or are you having trouble in LFR? Both are different animals tbh.
thanks khalador
Just want to confirm, because whenever someone starts talking about Boomkin DoTs, they word things in ways the my brain is never 100% sure of. So I'm going to outline how I think your guide is telling me to work my upcoming Boomkin's DoTs in comparison to my good old Shadow Preist's DoTs.

On my Shadow Priest, I recast my DoTs normally with one tick left in their duration, unless I get a very powerful proc, like Power Torrent, or a strong trinket proc. If Only one of these procs, I generally just recast Vampiric Touch and just recast Devouring Plague whenever I normally would. If many of these procs line up, I'll recast both of them.

Should I worry about recasting DoTs when my Boomkin gets these types of Procs? As long as I don't recast an uneclipsed DoT over an eclipsed DoT?

And just to verify, you say not to clip my DoTs, though it would be beneficial to make sure I recast my DoTs before leaving Eclipse, but to otherwise, refresh them like any other DoT. In the past, I had read that it's best to recast your DoTs as soon as you hit eclipse, and to recast them again right before you get out of Eclipse. You're saying not to do this? If my boomkin's DoTs are ticking for several seconds after transitioning into an Eclipse State, don't refresh them until they only have one tick left?
You don't recast when you hit eclipse. The reason is that your previous eclipsed DoTs are going to do roughly the same damage as the ones that you would put up, no need to put up more. Also if you wait until there is one tick left on your previous eclipsed DoTs before refreshing them in the next eclipse then you might get out of eclipse fast enough to not have to worry about clipping your DoTs at the end of eclipse.
Ah! That explains a lot, I'll have to try to work things out somehow before my next raid. Hopefully something drops off LFR and FL for me.

My guild was unable to down ultra due to the dps i was doing, hitting enrage right at 2mil everytime ;(

Thanks for the help!~

On a side note, what # of haste should i aim for in order to have my DoTs last per lunar->wrath->lunar cycle?

Something that your going to want to try on Ultraxion, (if you aren't already doing) is saving BL for after your first sub 25% Hour of Twilight. This should give you enough haste and healing to get through the last part of the fight. I know on our first few attempts we were lusting at the start, but in reality you do almost the same amount of damage w/o lust before the first HoT anyways.

as for haste and one dot cycle to slide the bar 200 points left or right. lunar you should be cool with anywhere close to or above 2500 haste (very rough estimate) the cast time of your SF needs to be around 1.8 seconds with NG to have your dots last the entire cycle with out euphoria procs. as for wrath, you probably won't be able to get all the way across the bar with one set of dots, so i usually refresh my dots at the end of my solar eclipse phase while i still have NG up and those dots last me until I proc lunar eclipse.
which trinket combo is the best single target DPS?

Will of Unbinding

Insignia of Corrupted mind

Variable Pulse Lightning Capacitor (heroic ver.)
I'm testing out many different things including 3p LFR with 1p 397 t13, as well as LFR IotCM, and H Vplc. What's interesting is Having the normal DW staff and LFR IotCM proccing at the same time for almost 7k haste. I just got IotCM so I'll see how much my damage increases next week. Currently I'm pretty low on dps, 3-6k behind other classes that have legendaries and I don't QQ. Oh I was using H Necromantic Focus/DMC V + H Vplc until I got the Insignia, I'll post the difference in DPS, Probably from H Ultraxion next week. This week I did 29-30k and used Tranq and BR.
if i can't reach my 12th tick haste break point, should i just reforge haste back to mastery and stay just above my 11th tick haste break point?
No,stick with haste, it's better even in between breakpoints.

The only time where you might want to reforge down to a breakpoint is if there is a lot of AoE on a fight and you are having trouble with it, just know that this will drop your single target dps.
Dear fellow Boomkins,

Hello! First off, let me say I really appreciate that someone has put a guide together where we can all flock to share ideas about the obvious best class in WoW. Now I have been playing my druid for close to three years and have always played Restoration and only playing around with Boomkin as an offspec when we had to many healers and needed dps for raids. Recently I have switched guilds and they want to to be a boomkin. I feel as though I am lacking behind and getting discouraged when I see me in 12th 13th and 14th place consecutively. It may be a gear issue only being 383 while my entire new guild is rocking heroic FL gear or it may be operator error. I'm at almost 20% haste unbuffed (2552) with 16.41 Mastery and 16.72% crit. I always try to go to Lunar first and get my SF off asap while keeping my dots up probably 99% of the time but still only manage to pull 25-30k. I just feel as if I should be doing more but like I said, it may be a gear issue that will resolve itself in time.

For my Rotation I tend to favor Lunar and start off like this: IS, MF, wrathx2, SS, wrath until eclipse, Starfall, refresh dots, SS, and before exiting an eclipse I tend to clip the dots to make them last until my next eclipse. I also throw out treants in the begining before casting spells.

Any pro-tips or helpful hints would be very much appreciated. Thank you for your time and have a Merry Christmas/New years.

Love, Restopresto