Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide

Druid
Prev 1 33 34 35 51 Next
It shouldn't affect the main post, but I have released the second version of my haste breakpoint calculator! You can view it here:

http://www.unyieldingvalor.com/calc.php
02/09/2012 02:11 PMPosted by Eluial
I don't honestly know how to value the titahk proc, since I've never had a chance to play around with it, but I hear it's terrible.

15% chance to proc on successful casts (doesn't proc from damage/healing), 45s iCD. My best uptime is around 20%-ish, but I've gone a good minute between casts since the proc rate is so low. Bonus haste doesn't apply to you, only for the 3 nearby allies. And of course, basic Murphy law applies: it rarely matches when you're reapplying DoTs.

It might be worth it if the legendary isn't an option and you're sitting right after a breakpoint.
It shouldn't affect the main post, but I have released the second version of my haste breakpoint calculator! You can view it here:

http://www.unyieldingvalor.com/calc.php

Hey Kieble, that's awesome! I love the toggles you added, especially. Thanks for the great work!

02/10/2012 11:47 AMPosted by Tsuki
I don't honestly know how to value the titahk proc, since I've never had a chance to play around with it, but I hear it's terrible.

15% chance to proc on successful casts (doesn't proc from damage/healing), 45s iCD. My best uptime is around 20%-ish, but I've gone a good minute between casts since the proc rate is so low. Bonus haste doesn't apply to you, only for the 3 nearby allies. And of course, basic Murphy law applies: it rarely matches when you're reapplying DoTs.

It might be worth it if the legendary isn't an option and you're sitting right after a breakpoint.

Thanks for the info. The timing with dots shouldn't matter unless it's putting you above a breakpoint. In non-BiS, this is definitely a possibility, but you should be doing your best to reach the 3101 breakpoint with static haste (assuming no DI), meaning that H vagaries is going to be a better choice.

You sure about the bonus haste not applying to you? The tooltips on wowhead seem to think they do (though I don't particularly trust tooltips, personally).

need help with dps on first 6 bosses, mostly first 4 i think. HM only.
Looking to rank on morchok, yorshaj, and hagara in particular.

working with only 6% SP buff, raid comp is all melee except healers and spriest.

looking for very specific tips on rotation and gear. For example should i use an on - use trinket for hagara to maximize dps in stun phase? Should I stack more mastery on aoe fights like yorshaj?

Without DI and a legendary, and only 6% int you're pretty unlikely to be ranking, unfortunately. Basically, you can be just as good a player (or better) than the guys that are ranking, but if they have every buff available and you don't, their DPS is just going to be that much higher than yours. DI alone is a good 2-3k.

I'm not trying to say that those guys getting top 10 or even top 50 parses are just being carried by their buffs - they're good players! But to get on that list, you also need to have the right buffs.

But if you're trying to improve on those fights, you might take a look at the parses of the top rankers, and compare their spell breakdown to yours. What are they casting the most, when do they cast specific spells, etc. The only fight where I wouldn't really do this is Spine - most of the people ranking there are just padding the meters by dotting up all the bloods in the last 2 phases.
02/10/2012 02:50 PMPosted by Eluial
You sure about the bonus haste not applying to you? The tooltips on wowhead seem to think they do (though I don't particularly trust tooltips, personally).
It would be worthless if it didn't apply to you. The staff holder gets a large haste boost and three random people nearby get a smaller boost.
02/10/2012 03:39 PMPosted by Tagartou
It would be worthless if it didn't apply to you. The staff holder gets a large haste boost and three random people nearby get a smaller boost.

Yeah. But I mean the small bonus. The wowhead tooltip says this:
Your spells have a chance to grant you 1542+386 haste rating for 10 sec and 386 haste rating to up to 3 allies within 20 yards.

So, the 1542 is the bonus you get, and the 386 is what you give to the people close to you. But that says you get 1542+386. So I'm curious, do you actually get 1928 haste, or 1542 haste (for regular)?
I have uploaded my UI!

I've never done this before, so... hopefully it actually works. But if anyone is interested, or wants to just use certain elements of it or w/e, it's here:

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info20836-EluialsMoonkinUI1440x900.html

If anyone happened to download this, I've made a few updates to it. Basically cleaned up the file structure. But I do highly recommend getting the updated version if you are using it.
02/10/2012 03:55 PMPosted by Eluial
So, the 1542 is the bonus you get, and the 386 is what you give to the people close to you. But that says you get 1542+386. So I'm curious, do you actually get 1928 haste, or 1542 haste (for regular)?

Oh now I see what you mean. The weapon has a different tooltip ingame and on wowhead, hence the confusion. On wowhead it says 1740+435 for the main proc, which is the same as

Ti'tahk, the Steps of Time

But just to clarify, from that you get 2176 haste and that's it. The smaller proc to 3 nearby targets (435 for that version) won't ever apply to you even if there are less than 3 eligible targets (party/raid members) in range.

Without DI and a legendary, and only 6% int you're pretty unlikely to be ranking, unfortunately. Basically, you can be just as good a player (or better) than the guys that are ranking, but if they have every buff available and you don't, their DPS is just going to be that much higher than yours. DI alone is a good 2-3k.

I'm not trying to say that those guys getting top 10 or even top 50 parses are just being carried by their buffs - they're good players! But to get on that list, you also need to have the right buffs.

But if you're trying to improve on those fights, you might take a look at the parses of the top rankers, and compare their spell breakdown to yours. What are they casting the most, when do they cast specific spells, etc. The only fight where I wouldn't really do this is Spine - most of the people ranking there are just padding the meters by dotting up all the bloods in the last 2 phases.

Yeah I am only sitting with 6% spellpower, No legendary, and No DI. Our group does not have many caster buffs. And you will notice your dps is much lower. I try to compare myself with other logging moonkins. But all of them have legendaries. So its impossible. I notice the number difference, however I am still doing competitive dps .
I have uploaded my UI!

I've never done this before, so... hopefully it actually works. But if anyone is interested, or wants to just use certain elements of it or w/e, it's here:

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info20836-EluialsMoonkinUI1440x900.html

If anyone happened to download this, I've made a few updates to it. Basically cleaned up the file structure. But I do highly recommend getting the updated version if you are using it.

In the process of installing this right now. This will be the first time I've found a UI that I've really liked since, well, since I first started in Vanilla haha. It's clean and minimalist, two things I really like. Keep up the good work!
02/15/2012 09:26 AMPosted by Cellkin
In the process of installing this right now. This will be the first time I've found a UI that I've really liked since, well, since I first started in Vanilla haha. It's clean and minimalist, two things I really like. Keep up the good work!

Yay! glad I could help. Let me know if you have any questions.
02/15/2012 09:42 AMPosted by Eluial

Yay! glad I could help. Let me know if you have any questions.

Will do! I actually have a few - where would ya like me to ask em?
02/15/2012 11:00 AMPosted by Cellkin
Will do! I actually have a few - where would ya like me to ask em?

Here is fine, or if you prefer you can send me a PM on themoonkinrepository.com (nickname is just Eluial).
Hi guys! I'm looking for some advice. I believe my rotation is my main issue, but after reading and re-reading I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

In regards to my gear - I'm about one heroic away from getting revered with Hyjal, so I'll be able to get my helm enchant soon. I believe that's the only thing I'm missing, gem/enchant wise.

I primarily run LFR. However, I'll be running my first normal DS 10 this weekend and want to make sure I'm absolutely prepared. Perhaps I shouldn't rely on DPS meters in LFR since there are usually a lot better geared players, but I'm typically around 10-12 on the DPS meters. On trash I can usually pull around 20-30k, depending on the mobs, however on boss fights it's much lower, sometimes barely getting over 20k.

If we're doing trash, I'll start off IS>MF each target, starfall if I'm in lunar eclipse (although still not sure about doing that, I've heard it's best that you do it then though) and then rinse and repeat.

Boss fights, I'll keep dots up (keep lunar eclipse dots up too), star surge when it's up, and starfire until solar eclipse, wrath until lunar eclipse. Also keep starfall on CD as well as Force of Nature. However, recently I've been using FoN at the beginning of the fight, but will try using them only when heroism/lust occurs.

I can't seem to get the hang of mushrooms yet. I've used them on boss fights, and either I'm looking at it wrong, or something but I sometimes see it come up as immune when I detonate. Any tips on that would be helpful.

I haven't been using flasks/buff food/potions while in LFR, but will be using them in normal DS 10.

TLDR: Trash DPS seems to be okay, boss DPS is an issue with me barely getting over 20k sometimes. I think it's a rotation issue as I think I'm gemmed/enchanted/reforged correctly, and as far as I know, my gear is complete unless I pick up pieces from LFR/DS 10.
Hi guys! I'm looking for some advice. I believe my rotation is my main issue, but after reading and re-reading I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Two things I noticed right off the bat - you have a stronger shoulder enchant from Inscription, and you're a decent bit over the hit cap.

Also, you said the start off trash by DoTing everything up - just to be clear, this is while in eclipse, right? If not, you're better off getting into eclipse first.
Two things I noticed right off the bat - you have a stronger shoulder enchant from Inscription, and you're a decent bit over the hit cap.

Also, you said the start off trash by DoTing everything up - just to be clear, this is while in eclipse, right? If not, you're better off getting into eclipse first.

I didn't think about Inscription. Thanks I'll check that out.

Yeah, I know I'm over hit. I don't have any hit pieces, so would you say I should reforge spirit into what I can? (I'm not even sure if that's possible, not able to log onto the game right now.)

Trash, no I usually don't get into eclipse before dotting. Excuse my noob question, but when you say eclipse, are you talking about either lunar or solar? Should I just wrath spam until I hit lunar eclipse so I get the buff for starfall as well?
For reforging, you can use wowreforge.com to get it all set up.

If we're doing trash, I'll start off IS>MF each target, starfall if I'm in lunar eclipse (although still not sure about doing that, I've heard it's best that you do it then though) and then rinse and repeat.

Trash doesn't matter. That said... for pretty much all DS trash you want to be in solar the whole time. Dot everything, use starfall, and use mushrooms if you can. Then just use starfire to fill in the time between needing to refresh dots. If you do nothing but roll dots + starfall on zonozz trash you will blow everyone away.

02/16/2012 10:15 AMPosted by Keiora
Boss fights, I'll keep dots up (keep lunar eclipse dots up too), star surge when it's up, and starfire until solar eclipse, wrath until lunar eclipse. Also keep starfall on CD as well as Force of Nature. However, recently I've been using FoN at the beginning of the fight, but will try using them only when heroism/lust occurs.

LFR rules for treants is just use them on CD, because only baby cenarius knows if/when heroism will be used. For an actual organized raid, ask when heroism will be used and plan accordingly. If it'll be more than 3 minutes into the fight you can use them off the bat then again for hero. If not, wait to use them. Just make sure you get a countdown so you can drop them *before* heroism, so they get the buff.

For dots, it's not just about "keeping them up." It's more about keeping them eclipse and NG buffed as much as possible.
Do not clip a DoT just because you reached eclipse, but do make sure to refresh your DoTs *before* eclipse runs out, so that you have eclipse and NG-buffed DoT(s). The goal with DoTs is to have a high eclipsed and NG-buffed uptime of both DoTs. Therefore, if you've reached the end of your eclipse and you realize you don't have enough time left on your DoTs to reach your next eclipse, you *do* want to clip your dots.

02/16/2012 10:15 AMPosted by Keiora
I can't seem to get the hang of mushrooms yet. I've used them on boss fights, and either I'm looking at it wrong, or something but I sometimes see it come up as immune when I detonate. Any tips on that would be helpful.
The immune you see is from fungal growth. Bosses and most boss fight adds are immune to it. Don't worry, they're not immune to the damage. For single target boss fights, you shouldn't be using shrooms that much - just once at the beginning (and they should be pre-planted before the fight begins) and then you can drop them anytime you have to move and detonate them in solar.

02/16/2012 10:46 AMPosted by Keiora
Yeah, I know I'm over hit. I don't have any hit pieces, so would you say I should reforge spirit into what I can? (I'm not even sure if that's possible, not able to log onto the game right now.)

Not sure exactly what you're asking here, but hit = spirit for all intents and purposes. Most people use the two terms interchangeably, so when someone says something about hit, they really mean hit RATING, which comes from both hit and spirit.

02/16/2012 10:46 AMPosted by Keiora
Trash, no I usually don't get into eclipse before dotting. Excuse my noob question, but when you say eclipse, are you talking about either lunar or solar? Should I just wrath spam until I hit lunar eclipse so I get the buff for starfall as well?

For trash, or really any multi-dot situation, you want to be in solar eclipse. If you get caught outside of an eclipse, you can put up a couple dots, then make your way to the closest eclipse, but it's always best to plan ahead and be in solar.
02/16/2012 11:39 AMPosted by Eluial
Not sure exactly what you're asking here, but hit = spirit for all intents and purposes. Most people use the two terms interchangeably, so when someone says something about hit, they really mean hit RATING, which comes from both hit and spirit.

Well, since I'm over hit cap, other than getting completely new gear, I wasn't sure how I could avoid that. That's why I was asking if me being over hit cap is a major issue whether I needed to reforge spirit to something else.

Thank you for all the information though. I will give that a try and hopefully my DPS will increase. =)
02/16/2012 11:58 AMPosted by Keiora
Well, since I'm over hit cap, other than getting completely new gear, I wasn't sure how I could avoid that. That's why I was asking if me being over hit cap is a major issue whether I needed to reforge spirit to something else.
Your gear can never have enough spirit that you are hit capped permanently. Just go to wowreforge.com, load yourself up, and hit optimize. and it will reforge your spirit down to the hit cap.

As for the rest of your gear, if you have the money I would suggest getting Reckless gems for your yellow belt and ring slots, and throwing a Brilliant gem into your chest's blue slot. You also need to get that helm enchanted, I think it says you are only 95 rep away from that so just make sure to get that before you raid.

For rotation make sure that you aren't overly clipping DoTs. Refresh them with ~1s left if you are in eclipse, and clip them when you are one cast from leaving eclipse if your current set of DoTs won't take you to the next eclipse. As for Starfall usage, try to use it with lunar. For Starsurge you do want to be casting it on cooldown, with a few exceptions. If you are about to enter and eclipse, save it. If you are about to leave and eclipse and it is instant, use it after your last eclipsed cast. If you have already cast SS in lunar and you get an instant proc, save it for use after your last lunar cast. If you are in pre-solar and your energy is a multiple of 20, save it til solar.

Additionally make sure that you have at least BPT as listed in the UI section, it's predictive eclipse helps a ton with SS usage, DoT clipping, and precasting eclipses.
Thanks for the guide! While doing my boomkin thing, I kept refreshing dots as soon as I get into a presence, giving me a DPS loss D:. Going to see what I can do later today though!