Roleplaying 101: A crash course on Characters

Wyrmrest Accord
Prev 1 2 3 7 Next
06/27/2011 09:03 AMPosted by Skintaker
TL;dr SOCIETYSOCIETYSOCIETYSOCIETYSOCIETYSOCIETY

Hahaha. Thanks for all the good feedback guys. Glad you like it.
I'd change the Wowwiki parts to WoWpedia.

Wowwiki isn't really supported anymore and there's viruses and stuff all over it.
I'd change the Wowwiki parts to WoWpedia.

Wowwiki isn't really supported anymore and there's viruses and stuff all over it.

Alright, I'll add that in.
This was more about getting the basics laid out than going into advanced character concepts, pop culture, and the like. I figured if this was a big success, I'd eventually write another post like this about advanced character ideas and pushing the limits without breaking them.
06/27/2011 11:25 AMPosted by Alinaris
pushing the limits without breaking them.

No! that's your limitation! You sit here closed off, locking away other life forms like some kind of king! That's nobody's limitation but your own - mark my words: This drill will open a hole in the universe! And that hole will be a path for those behind us! The dreams of those who've fallen! The hopes of those who'll follow!

-cough- I mean... I concur...
Also, FYI this inspired me to adorn my dusty RP gear from the bank, and write up a gigantic character summary in wordpad that (I think? XD) follows your ideals. If nothing else, you inspired this boring PVE'r. =]
You, good sir (or madame), are amazing.

/sticky bump
06/27/2011 08:38 AMPosted by Skintaker
SKINTAKERAPPROVESOFTHISTHREAD. And is going to tell his guild to report this for sticky, as it is EFFING flawless.

I hear and obey, O Great Master.
This is a fantastic thread and a great resource for anyone that finds themselves daunted on the task of fleshing out a character idea.

For some, the creative process is a little more organic. For the life of me, I don't think I'm capable of doing anything systemically. That said, I still touch bases with everything that Alinaris described, just in my own sweet time (and with a very generous definition on 'inevitably'!) For myself, character concepts always begin with a mood, a complicated pattern of emotions that coalesce into personality that's ready to introduce herself and tell me her story before I put things to pen.

Drawings, sketches even a bit of painting will result before I'm ready to unveil the character on server and see her story unfold within the greater setting of Warcraft.
My characters usually start with a vague idea.

"This will be my mute rogue"

"This is my very angry Night Elf Warrior"

"This is my incredibly old Mage"

and things just go from there.
Read all of this, requested sticky, finds it very coincidental that my Rogue is mute in character, and congratulates you, Alinaris, on a well-made guide. Nothin'g perfect, but this sure is pretty dang good.

If you read my entire post I support this fully and in fact use this method to get a vague idea, and then expand on it and develop it.

06/28/2011 12:32 AMPosted by Xæviar
Read all of this, requested sticky, finds it very coincidental that my Rogue is mute in character, and congratulates you, Alinaris, on a well-made guide. Nothin'g perfect, but this sure is pretty dang good.

Thanks a ton!
Bumpsicles.

This is great. As I was reading the whole thing, I recalled on some of the things I've done or seen in my experience roleplaying.

At least I know I'm complying by these rules now and it makes me feel that much more than I was. :D

If you read my entire post I support this fully and in fact use this method to get a vague idea, and then expand on it and develop it.

06/28/2011 12:32 AMPosted by Xæviar

Thanks a ton!

I did. I was just saying that, while I use a similar method, the way I begin is a little different. =)