Roleplaying 101: A crash course on Characters

Wyrmrest Accord
Prev 1 5 6 7 Next
Well, Hi 'der. My name-..or, well, what I'm known as is Kex. Due to some...persuading a few friends of mine did (*Cough* Stepphen *Cough*), I've recently hopped games from Runescape to World of Warcraft. Of course, the only reason I played RS was for roleplay; but when I got word World of Warcraft roleplay was...well, had higher standards, I immediatly (and by "immediatly", I mean after two or three months) got the game. I'm a bit unfamiliar with the way roleplaying is done here, because, well, I've never done it. Got any tips n' tricks for a veteran roleplayer from a different game, maneuvering their way into a completely different enviroment? Any help would be much appreciated.

12/31/2011 06:20 PMPosted by Rowetheil
Lore is extremely important in a roleplaying game. It's one of the biggest parts of roleplaying in the first place. Without following lore, and having some kind of structure, the roleplay found on WoW would be little better than that found in some roleplaying chatroom (the horror days of yahoo chat rp) and we'd have goku running around stormwind doing...whatever it is he does. (not that we don't already have that, but that's what we're trying to fix here.)

Then how come so many people run around lorebreaking, and everyone defends them?

For the same reason everyone believes everything they read on wikipedia.
The guide made my day. It was very funny xD
/liked
I read this constantly even after I created a character. Refreshing these ideas in my mind definitely grounds me and reminds me of my roots, where I began, and helps my roleplay stay fresh and new. Good job.
This was awsome, I actually converted to kindle so i could read it at the hospital haha. Great Forum (Btw, I Rp'd for the first time after reading this and did great.. aguildie called me a natural :) )
This guide is simply amazing. Thank you for putting in the effort to do this, and I couldn't have found it at a better time (trying to go over my roleplay, and my friend needs help building hers). This guide is a fantastic help and wonderfully written.
Thanks for the awesome guide, made me completely rethink the way I roleplay.
I can't say anything that hasn't already been said, but... This guide is lovely. Thank you.
Amazing guide. In all of my years roleplaying I have found little guides that have enriched myself as much as this one in character development. Thank you for giving us this amazing tool in the forums, it certainly helped!
When I'm RPing or writing stories, I do my best to remember what C.S. Lewis said:

"Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original; whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before), you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it."

I humbly hope this supplements the character guide, because it's helped me through writer's block many times.
Only after reading all of his posts did I realise how much I had just read. This will be very helpful.
Simply outstanding. Thank you very much, It'll help me a lot on my RP!
No idea if your ever going to read this but this really helped me out and I wrote around 4 pages of info on a character that I'd like to RP.

-Thanks
I wish I had this when I started Role-Playing, but fortunately I had an excellent teacher. I took the time to print this up and use it to set up new characters. Thank you for taking the time to type this up, and post it.

Really, this is truly a gem.
I'm to tired right now to fully read this guide, but from what Iv read over thus far is inspiring. I never really have done a lot of role play and never got around to asking how to start. For sure, im saving this into my favorites and plan on reading it fully through when I wake up. TY so much for making this guide!

~ The Seraph
Probably the best guide I've read so far, and I've looked.