Roleplaying 101: A crash course on Characters

Wyrmrest Accord
Prev 1 5 6 7
This is very nicely done! I now have a lot of thoughts and ideas to work with to flush my characters out more fully! Thank you for making this!
Using this to flesh out a character I'm working hard to set a good foundation for, lookin' good so far.
Thank you so much for this! I'm not new to rp, but I am new to wow rp, so this was crazy super helpful. I would classify this as a towel, a la hitch hikers guide.
Thanks for this, I used it to flesh out a little more of my main toon =3 Read it top to bottom
Thank you for writing this work of art. you just helped create my favorite RP character too date and I am now a better RPer overall. you are now my god *gets on his knees and starts bowing rapidly*
This is a refreshing review - It's earned a bookmark. I've RP'd mostly in Tabletops for about 6 years now and recently rediscovered WoW (playing since Vanilla, it's understandable) and the incredible opportunities for fun I've missed over the past 9 years. I'm barely two months into it and the talons are sunk deep.

At any rate, thanks for taking the time in making this. It's cleared up a few things regarding my two characters (Humans, can't get enough of them) and helped reign in/define a few of my ideas.
Thanks for this - brand spanking new to rp and this sure helped me flesh out more details for my new toon
I gta be honest here, 1. First off i got nothing against RP one bit, I even dabbled in it before and I really respect the art form and enjoy Well done RP,
But upon review of this guide I must admit it does sound like a way to disrespect people and insult many different people view types, while trying to get away with by losing your audience, and I must be honest and say that this guide's intention does not seem to teach anything about RP, and thus I can't approve.

A. For those that wanna get into RP i highly reccommend Goblin as an easy starter, or even worgen(due to alot of starter material), also review the race and how they speak and try and emulate(many NPCs can help u with this) and just go for gusto(its not really being right or wrong but acting like ur toon as best as u can portray).
I must say that when i do that sometimes i find it fun, but in the end I value myself alot more and like being me...But RP is fun. I hope i atleast I've educated some in the lil lengthy post.
04/12/2014 03:54 PMPosted by Garbokk
I gta be honest here, 1. First off i got nothing against RP one bit, I even dabbled in it before and I really respect the art form and enjoy Well done RP,
But upon review of this guide I must admit it does sound like a way to disrespect people and insult many different people view types, while trying to get away with by losing your audience, and I must be honest and say that this guide's intention does not seem to teach anything about RP, and thus I can't approve.

Good to know I wasn't the only one who saw this post as rude. Good thing the person that posted this actually showed his true colors and no longer RPs/plays anymore (as harsh as that sounds, but he was a toxic person).

It's a good way to bring out the worst in someone and give them an elitist attitude.

Who this doesn't pertain to:

People who play "just to have fun"

People who use the excuse "It's my $15"

People who don't roleplay

People who could care less about lore, immersion, and realism in roleplay

I don't understand how this is, in any way, helpful. It's very rude. People can read what they want- they are a person, not some savage. I know some people who don't RP but enjoy the idea of it. It just isn't their thing, but what if they wanted to read what it takes to make a "good" character? :/
I think it plays more to a sense of social responsibility. You've chosen to participate in a pre-existing sandbox. You didn't create it. Blizzard did. It's their world with their races and their cultures etc. Just like you don't bring wood chips from the slide into the sandbox or sand from the sandbox over to the swing set, you don't flagrantly break lore or environmental norms because it's frowned upon socially.

The excuses like "It's my $15" or "I'm just playing to have fun" frequently get you ostracized from the prevailing culture on an RP server. It can happen in any MMO. This is because the environment, character stereotypes and world lore are already established and it's not done by the players; it's done by the game itself.

If you play your toon in a kind of willy-nilly RP on an RP server and then say "it's my $15" when you get called out, you've basically wasted $15 because people will stop playing with you. It can be kind of elitist, but again...pre-existing sandbox. Those 'elitists' aren't out to get you, they're just respecting, and playing by, the rules of the sandbox.

Though I agree "People who don't RP" probably should not be on that list.
From a complete newbie, thanks for this guide. It's got me excited to create a character I can be confident with.
nice guide
10/10

Awesome thread and read bro. I loved reading this. Now I know why so much professional RPers get upset when they go through all this effort to make a character, and then some other guy comes along with this backstory: "I'm a dragon"
This thread was very helpful for me in many ways. As an aspiring novelist and someone who enjoys immersing themselves into my character and environment, I could definitely learn a thing or two. Well, unfortunately my character is...uh oh....here it goes....an orphan. Well so she thinks. Her parents are presumed dead. But....I have a few good story telling tricks up my sleeve to make it unique and believable, and I like the dimension it adds to the character. But a lot of good tips.
Glad I've found this post. Read it all, amazing read!