Ask The Devs #10 - Damage Dealing (Answers)

General Discussion
Post Limit:
Prev 1 7 8 9 26 Next
Disappointing but not surprising.
Actually, I take that back. I am surprised they did not answer at least one of the softball questions posted by hunters.

I did not expect anything significant in terms of answers, but I think they made a pretty clear statement by nixing hunters from this process.

I have been a subscriber to wow since launch, but I can no longer justify supporting the game.

Hunters definitely cry a lot, and the poster who asked most of our questions got forum banned (maybe deserved, did not see the final offending post, but frustration was high)

Still, to completely remove the class from the Q/A seems a bit harsh.
Last laugh goes to Bliz i guess, gg
06/24/2011 10:21 AMPosted by Bailamos
This is madness.

Madness?

This is Blizzard.
When you like something a lot and it's not feaching your expectations you conplain

Ok agreed but if all you do is complain about your class then how is that you liking it if you want all these changes to make it ur perfect class it just seems like its gonna be a never ending cycle that is never gonna change like everyone says that frost mages are op as ever but thats because they cant beat them on there class so they do one of two things complain that there class needs to be fixed or the other class nerfed imo complaining is a useless way of sayin i hate how my class is changed it

We're complaining about certain PARTS of the spec that are causing it to under-perform in important areas of the game. We like the overall package, but there are certain things that a majority of the community sees as detrimental to the overall function of the spec..

So we go to Blizzard and say "Hey, this isn't working right. Could you do something about it? Please?
I would say no one playing a spec would be because of it having a flaw or two that can be addressed.

I played unholy back when it was very op(it was due for a nerf), and i was doing 15k in maybe 333 ilvl. When 4.0.6 came around it dropped down to about 6k on my best day. Then i went frost and was doing a good 10k+. While i know one person of millions means nothing, its still there.
I vastly prefer frost to fire and arcane, yet my damage done is nothing compared to when i go arcane.
I enjoy beast mastery, but the pet AI is so poor, and the kill command 5 yard range thing makes it so it says "your pet is out of range" when the boss twitches to the left. The black arrow buff, many say, will not be comparable to how good marksmanship is (i dont bother with all this theory and math whatnot), and i absolutely hate marksmanship.
The multidot system for shadow priest (and affliction) i dont think is the best decision by blizzard. Combined with the very random shadow orb proc (ive gone 3 or more vampiric touch durations without seeing a single one) for the so very mandatory buff that is the red orb icon(if its not up your damage will plummet), shadow priest has gone from my favorite spec to one of my least.
I tried subtlety to(but ive never really played rogue) and all i have to say about that is it feels like the feral dps of cataclysm. There is so much to watch and the damage is just very low.
06/24/2011 10:26 AMPosted by Mcslushy
When you like something a lot and it's not feaching your expectations you conplain

Ok agreed but if all you do is complain about your class then how is that you liking it if you want all these changes to make it ur perfect class it just seems like its gonna be a never ending cycle that is never gonna change like everyone says that frost mages are op as ever but thats because they cant beat them on there class so they do one of two things complain that there class needs to be fixed or the other class nerfed imo complaining is a useless way of sayin i hate how my class is changed it

I like how the class is played, i like the lore of the class, i like being a melee class that use spells to attack.

What i don't like is having an ultra complex AoE mechanic that in the end is doing less damage than everything else. I don't like seeing all my friends just skyrocketing their dps while mine is just stable even when we both get gear at the same rate.

Why would i want to play a class i don't like the way it's played just because it give bigger numbers? 'm not the type of guy who just go for the flavor of the month class.
Pretty let down about the parser answer. Silly people will always abuse tools. No reason to stop making those tools. Best to just add it in and cut down player reliance on 3rd party mods to help enhance security as a whole. This, auto vendoring, and my random mount mod are the only thing keeping me from going mod free and I'd love to see all of them implemented.
Hard - somewhat hard questions. Hard, if not hard to read sometimes, answers.

You gave specific answers and it's cool. Gpod work on this one, guys. You delt with a potnetial volatile topic and you passed it with awesomely. Still feel bad for rogues though!

Also: too many neck beard-ish shaman questions.
On the ingame dps meters question, it would be nice if they included only a Self DPS value if anything to allow players to at least see what they are doing and doesn't have to be compared to anyone else.
06/24/2011 09:49 AMPosted by Elgreezy
Really i would have been happier if they had just said piss off to all the other questions and just addressed the 9000 lb. elephant of melee vs. ranged in modern raids.

Because they've already addressed it several times in the past. They don't design raid encounters to be equally optimized for melee and ranged. Sometimes a tier is going to favor one or the other (how quickly people forget ICC the melee chew toy) and they're okay with that.

The difference is that raid comps in ICC still brought a sizable quantity of ranged DPS, because you were forced to.

Nothing is forcing a raid to bring even one melee DPS.
06/24/2011 09:00 AMPosted by Kaivax
The Fire Elemental is even more complicated than Searing Totem because the totem is the master of the elemental, not the shaman. It generally works pretty well focusing on the Flame Shock target, but we plan on rebuilding the spell so that the totem summons the elemental (and killing the totem could still despawn the elemental), but the shaman is considered the master, which will solve some of the problems that arise.

We have a name for our ele shaman's fire elemental: Herp-da-derp. He typically spends the entire fight wandering around aimlessly. :P Last night on V&T, he actually decided to target Theralion (who was up in the air) instead of Valiona, and we all had major giggles at him floating about in circles.

So yeah. xD Something needs to be done to fix this guy.

Q: Could you find a way to give a sense of responsibility to damage dealers as much as tanks and healers already have in instances? – Raghnar (EU-FR)

Pretty sure ya'll missed the point on this one. When a dps !*!*s up, it's the healers who suffer - by having to heal through the extra damage. Many people have offered up the suggestion of implementing certain debuffs (a la the slime auras in Putricide) that, when stood in, would lower your damage significantly.

Good to hear they're considering implementing a threat dump for warriors. Despite the fact that I love the philosophy of "a warrior's threat dump is death" (because it just suits the class so well), it is a pain in the ass when I'm tanking with my partner on his fury warrior. :P His burst is insane.
Ok to address the issues plaguing each class, Blizzard has come up with a solution that will appease everyone. All dungeon and raid bosses now have a hit counter of 10. All trash have a hit counter of 5. All DPS classes will be given one action "Attack" All tanks will be given one action "Taunt" and all healers will be given one action "Heal"

Battle will take place as a turn based fight. since all DPS are doing the same damage everyone is at the top of the DPS charts...

YAAAAY no more whining.
06/24/2011 09:01 AMPosted by Kaivax
Our three most powerful tools are doing predictive modeling for how classes will perform under various scenarios and with various levels of gear, actually testing these numbers using characters in the game world, and then measuring the numbers generated by actual players on PTR or live servers.

I assume your models match the numbers generated by measuring the numbers generated by actual players?

Do you ever spend time comparing the numbers you get from "measuring the numbers generated by actual players on PTR or live server" to what we are seeing in our logs? Are we getting accurate information in our logs?

The recent Frost DK hotfixes were puzzling since your posts say you thought DKs were too high in DPS but our logs show on average they were about 5th of 10 classes. There is an obvious discrepancy in how we are either viewing logs or what our logs show vs what your logs show (and I am guessing your logs are far more accurate).

Somethings are obviously missing like PW:B's absorbs do not show up in our logs while Tranquility does which sways how the healing meters are viewed in our logs. While I can not think of a DPS ability that doesn't show up, it would surprise me if there was not something like that which is not showing up accurately in our logs.
The shamans succeeded in stealing the limelight this time.

Too bad for them that Blizzard didn't really want to answer their questions (or has no idea how to answer them besides things they've already seen) no matter how many of them voted.

Too bad the hunters who spammed the thread to fill it up didn't get their questions answered either.

You mean the one hunter who asked all the pvp related questions? and took up what, 7.6% of the thread, with no repeat questions?