Holiday Bag Hotfix

General Discussion

Please! I've been playing for 3 years, this is my 4th fire fest, & I don't have either the scortchling or frostling!

Up the droprate please! :(

I understand both sides of the argument, and while I don't really think you can make any change without deciding that one side is less right, I think a dynamic drop rate would fix this. (increases with unsuccessful attempts, although at what point, by how much, and to what limit need to be decided.)
No one should still be trying to get anything for 4 or 5 years. Unlucky for one or two years, maybe, after that just pay up.

Honestly infinite attempts wouldn't hurt considering the limited nature and 3% drop rate I gotta say is just stupidly low for a pet considering how limiting the bags are compared to the old system where you would get 5 times as much loot granted you rolled against people but some people like myself don't care about the scythe for example.
Allow players to get a bag everytime they queue for a boss event.

I dont see whats the big deal with it and I just find that normal a player get it if they put a lots of work for the pet/mount.

What I dont consider "normal" is someone who put a lots of work doing it everyday and not getting it.
06/29/2011 06:48 PMPosted by Milez
Starting with your [Haunted Momento] which no longer haunts you with a ghost

wait what? mine still works... most of the time.
We’re going to be applying a hotfix soon to remove holiday-specific bags when the holiday period ends. The specific bags in question are:

Loot-Filled Pumpkin (Hallow’s End)
Keg-Shaped Treasure Chest (Brewfest)
Satchel of Chilled Goods (Midsummer Fire Festival)
Heart-Shaped Box (Love is in the Air)

These bags will only exist while their holiday is active, and when the holiday ends they will be removed. This is to resolve an exploit revolving around keeping these bags beyond the holiday period to re-roll their contents.

You’ll want to be sure to open and remove the contents of any holiday bags before the holiday ends. If you still have any bags from previous holiday events they'll be removed when this hotfix goes live.
What a pointless and offensive change.
06/29/2011 09:02 PMPosted by Killercaitie
Can we please fix the god awful drop rate on the frost pet for Midsummer festival, please or make him purchasable.

Please! I've been playing for 3 years, this is my 4th fire fest, & I don't have either the scortchling or frostling!

Up the droprate please! :(

Same here, am beginning to lose hope.
I would agree that I wish the drop rate would increase. For all the holidays that I have participated in, I have only gotten the Brewfest Kodo.
I can understand people being a bit upset about this (losing the ability to whip out a broom in the summertime etc) But I think the real reason they're doing this is because those bags contain or used to contain the actual armor and weapon drops. If you saved a bag from BC and opened it in Cata you could potentially end up with a nice shiny purple that you probably shouldn't have.

I could see this being a big problem when they pre-patch content before a holiday. Once the items have been updated you could open the bag and actually get the updated item before the holiday starts. Imagine getting the new Horseman helm in August or September.

This is just my guess as to why this has to be changed.
So... Good bye to using hallow's end brooms during midsummer festivals D:

Translation: We are nerfing more fun and witty technique because we gave you the ability to dance in combat back. You must sacrifice. Starting with your [Haunted Momento] which no longer haunts you with a ghost, and cannot be thrown. ..except away, since it no longer does anything at all. NERF FUN! IRON FIST! BLIZ FTW!

Hold up a second...is this just for the holiday bags people are saving over the years for some reason? Or does this include the contents also? Such as...Vile Fumigator's Mask from Love is in the air holiday, if it's the contents I'd be pissed too. If it's not the contents then why are people complaining or even saving bags over the years? Open them as you get them instead?
Okay Blizzard, i am fine with this change so long as you do i more thing for me. Make all the temporary items in these bags have charges instead of a limited "time" (read: day amount) duration. That way people can keep their Swift Magic Broom & Magic Broom and have some fun with them until the charges run out.

Seems a bit silly to restrict these items further by changing these bags.
Magic Broom <-- Am i missing something, or is this going to be unlimited use? Look at the tooltip for it. When you hover over this, and click on it to get sent to the Armory page for it, it shows no restrictions. On WowHead, however, it does show a restriction of "Requires Hallow's End".

So, which one is right?
I can understand people being a bit upset about this (losing the ability to whip out a broom in the summertime etc) But I think the real reason they're doing this is because those bags contain or used to contain the actual armor and weapon drops. If you saved a bag from BC and opened it in Cata you could potentially end up with a nice shiny purple that you probably shouldn't have.

I could see this being a big problem when they pre-patch content before a holiday. Once the items have been updated you could open the bag and actually get the updated item before the holiday starts. Imagine getting the new Horseman helm in August or September.

This is just my guess as to why this has to be changed.

Fatbeard is 100% correct...People were opening bags from last years hallows end and getting ilvl 365 (aprox) gear...This is the only reason they hotfixd it.

They not trying to ruin your fun o.O
i'd like a permanent broom
06/30/2011 05:58 PMPosted by Bloodpuke
i'd like a permanent broom
As would i, which is why i am only a little excite by the tool-tip associated with this: Magic Broom . Perhaps it's just bugged atm on the WoW Armory, or WoWhead has it wrong.

Anyone see anything that said these items were being changed? Would love to know for sure, but i suppose i can TRY to wait until Hallow's End......

is it October yet?
I understand both sides of the argument, and while I don't really think you can make any change without deciding that one side is less right, I think a dynamic drop rate would fix this. (increases with unsuccessful attempts, although at what point, by how much, and to what limit need to be decided.)
No one should still be trying to get anything for 4 or 5 years. Unlucky for one or two years, maybe, after that just pay up.

Err what both sides? There is only one side, up the drop rate. What's the other side?

Err what both sides? There is only one side, up the drop rate. What's the other side?

Basically this or add something like more tries per day (up to infinity) or purchasable alternatives. Who would actually say "Oh no a 0.0000001% drop rate on something is Working as intended, btw you only get 5 days to do it hehe."
Wow... wait what!? you can change the bags contents!?
People were getting this year's ilevel of gear from bags they kept around from last year. This is something unintended and as such is considered an exploit. It has been fixed.

Low drop rates are intended, limited chances at things are intended...these are all time-honored game mechanics designed to keep your interest. If everything was just handed to players on a silver platter no one would keep playing (and paying for) the game.

Suck it up and realize you are not entitled to getting everything, that some things are harder than others to get and that if you don't get it this year you can try again next year. Above all, realize that if you are "gaming the system" for your advantage in a manner unintended by the designers...you are exploiting and it will be fixed.

A nerf is when a change is made that softens the game, not fixes a problem.
/facepalm