How to speed up the download

Technical Support
If you are getting ridiculously slow download speeds when your internet connection should be going much faster...

1. Close the launcher. Your progress will be saved.
2. press ctrl+alt+delete to get to the "Task Manager"
3. In the processes, look for Launcher.exe and end that process. If you don't find it, that's fine, continue to step 4.
4. Navigate to your World Of Warcraft folder and run the background downloader.

That's it. I was getting like 90KB with the launcher, but with the background downloader I'm getting over 1MBps, which is normal for my 20+Mbps connection. I hope this works for yall too!

P.S. - give the background downloader a minute or two to initialize(it says it at the bottom before it starts downloading)
Oh after it's done, push finish and then open WoW again. The launcher will have a full bar this time with everything downloaded.
I got to connection info on background launcher and it still says 32.00 KB/s
06/28/2011 02:54 PMPosted by Septixe
I got to connection info on background launcher and it still says 32.00 KB/s

/sigh

Same, just checked and it's still jumping between 10 and 30 something kb/s. Damn it.
where wuz this post several frustrating hours ago?

*BUMP FOR AWSOMENESS*
06/28/2011 03:04 PMPosted by Beatrix
Try this just dropped my dl down to 4 mins from the blizzard background downloader click prefences then click don't throttle background download... now im at 99%

If you're still having issues with the background downloader.
i

06/28/2011 03:08 PMPosted by Forumtoon
Try this just dropped my dl down to 4 mins from the blizzard background downloader click prefences then click don't throttle background download... now im at 99%

If you're still having issues with the background downloader.

i did the same thing im flying now
DO this to make it work
Open game Launcher, Top left corner on drop down click on download pref. turn off peer to peer and turn off background download throttle. close the launcher and go to your wow folder and run the background downloader, should say 14.0gb/14.5gb but the .5 is the patch on top of your game. Peer to peer and the throttle have to be off for the background downloader to work for alot of people.
see i do those steps and after it always says i need to dl 20 MB more, so i do and then it always says i ened to run repair which restarts my downloader
it's useless
backround downloader didn't run you can can disable P2P(peertopeer).
two things...first when i go to my folder i see nothing bout background downloader, is that something i have to download first off some site?...second when i shut off P2P a message pops up saying how they recommend me to put it on because it would increase the downloading speed im confused and annoyed had the game for 3 days now and still havent came close to playing plz
I just wanted to say 'Thanks'. I was getting terrible download speeds (on Shaw). This little workaround solved it.
DO this to make it work
Open game Launcher, Top left corner on drop down click on download pref. turn off peer to peer and turn off background download throttle. close the launcher and go to your wow folder and run the background downloader, should say 14.0gb/14.5gb but the .5 is the patch on top of your game. Peer to peer and the throttle have to be off for the background downloader to work for alot of people.

Thank you so much! :D
This helped me. Thank you.
Thanks for the tip! It helped!!
went from 300kb to 2mb. THANK YOU!!!!
What is the background downloader and how do i get to it?
Eh. I'm on a new Harddrive, Did the steps listed by Amarizi, and went from 500-700KB/S to 2.0MB/s almost immediately, and still going up slightly overtime.

And yes, I do mean Download Rate. Not Downloaded.

What is the background downloader and how do i get to it?

In the location of your World of Warcraft folder (...\World of Warcraft ) you want to look for and APPLICATION FILE named "BackgroundDownloader" Not Blizzard Updateer. It's has a blue swirl icon. If you have your folder set to organize by Details, it's between Battle.net.dll and the WTF Folder.

Edit: Not long after posting this, am now at 5.65MB/s... Still going up.