New Battle Chest and Free TBC Upgrade

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 Next
07/03/2011 06:57 AMPosted by Aderis
Time to bring the BC zones onto the Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms servers, since there is no longer any point in locking them from non-TBC players.

Well I doubt they'll be added to the servers as that would require rewriting code and leading to potential problems. The only area that I could potentially see this happening with is the area around Silvermoon City (and only if flight is added to the areas around Exodar and SMC since it'd be an absolute pain to be required to fly through the portal in the EPL).

The areas aren't locked......they just still exist on the BC server since there's only so much data the Kal/EK servers can hold.
06/28/2011 02:50 PMPosted by Kozakura
Level 60 players, who have no intention of going past lvl 60 but don't notice their bar filling till it's too late, might not see it that way

There is still an option to turn off XP, yet you may only play with other players with XP off in BGs. It's a good alternatives at any point so you may experience the game in the intended difficulty rather than being an OP being.

In any case, if you get out of content to explore at your level, you can always turn it on use the dungeon finder, get to the next "tier" of levels and enjoy the game again :)
07/04/2011 10:45 PMPosted by Houdigni
Level 60 players, who have no intention of going past lvl 60 but don't notice their bar filling till it's too late, might not see it that way

There is still an option to turn off XP, yet you may only play with other players with XP off in BGs. It's a good alternatives at any point so you may experience the game in the intended difficulty rather than being an OP being.

In any case, if you get out of content to explore at your level, you can always turn it on use the dungeon finder, get to the next "tier" of levels and enjoy the game again :)

I think you have missed the point. Players without BC already had their XP turned off as far as battlegrounds were concerned. For that reason, they never needed to "doubly turn off" XP. But, suddenly without warning, and in many cases without being able to prevent it, players started gaining XP where before they didn't and are now level 61 instead of 60.
they should do the same for lich king and cataclysm
What is so bad about being level 61? Can't you still do all of the things you did at level 60?

No, they can't cheat and get into level 60 exp on battlegrounds, they have to turn off exp and get stuck in the twink battlegrounds. Or not notice and level.

07/05/2011 10:55 AMPosted by Lorinall
I think you have missed the point. Players without BC already had their XP turned off as far as battlegrounds were concerned. For that reason, they never needed to "doubly turn off" XP. But, suddenly without warning, and in many cases without being able to prevent it, players started gaining XP where before they didn't and are now level 61 instead of 60.

Aww, poor baby. You can't cheat the system and get your twinks in the battlegrounds with normal people any more.

/point
/laugh
06/28/2011 04:04 PMPosted by Elaeni
So what about people who happened to buy a copy of Burning Crusade yesterday before this news? Is that box coming from UPS useless now?

You can use it to sweep the crumbs offa your desk into.
07/06/2011 12:38 PMPosted by Shalura
No, they can't cheat and get into level 60 exp on battlegrounds, they have to turn off exp and get stuck in the twink battlegrounds. Or not notice and level.

07/06/2011 12:38 PMPosted by Shalura
Aww, poor baby. You can't cheat the system and get your twinks in the battlegrounds with normal people any more.

Since 4.0, experience-off players and no-expansion players have been in the same level bracket. There was no "cheating."

The Vanilla account players have always been at a disadvantage compared to people who actually had Burning Crusade and turned off their experience. They could get dungeon gear from Outland, use armor with sockets, and train higher level engineering that actually had the capacity to kill somebody instead of just being annoying. And the experience-off'ers could actually level to the end of the level bracket instead of being stuck at the beginning. I honestly don't know where people get this idea of Vanilla players stomping regulars in battlegrounds from.
Good job, Blizz!

You just helped our 70 twink community grow a little bit larger! XD
06/28/2011 10:17 PMPosted by Jueles
Even though I just bought TBC a couple months ago I am glad that blizz does this. It is a gesture that shows that they aren't just after money, as many people seem to be saying lately.
Umm, I think this is evidence to the contrary. The problem is that people don't want to spend $100 to $150 for a single game. And who really wants to buy a $40 game just to play the beginning parts that nobody else cares about beyond using them as a stepping stone to get to the "end game"? A few people, to be sure, but certainly not the majority of players.

Now, for a while, people are just going to suck it up and pay Blizzard whatever they ask. But eventually it's not going to work, and charging extra for content that should be free just isn't making them as much money as releasing some of the content for free. Apparently, that point has been reached, and this is just a marketing strategy to get Blizzard more money.

If Blizzard had released Wrath as a full game that included all previous content for $50 I might have actually played it when it came out. As it turns out, the only reason I ever played it at all was because my friend wanted me to play with him and helped pay for it. I still have yet to pay for a second account for the same reason I almost never paid for the first - I'm not about to spend $100 so I can occasionally run my lowbies, swap mats more easily, etc. If a second account were a simple matter of adding a $15 per month subscription (like it's been on all the other paid MMOs I've played), I would have gotten an account over a year ago. In the end, Blizzard lost money on me.

Obviously, not everyone is like me, and Blizzard has been making bank off the other people, but as there are more and more people like me, they've got to change their ways, even if it's just in small increments. Still, as long as people are willing to pay $10+ for mounts and vanity pets, I think they'll be willing to spend a couple bucks on the extra expansions, meaning it's unlikely we'll see a $50 "everything's included" battle-chest anytime soon.
06/28/2011 03:25 PMPosted by Bloodpuke
they can always turn xp off for 10g

The problem with that, is then they will queue up only with other people who have xp turned off... and i tell you, those 3 hour queues for BGs are no picnic.

I'm gonna play your style:
Dude, for real? What you don't realize is that old vanilla accounts with BC 10 day trial left players with 1 XP from leveling to 61 (yes 1 xp). It's not that people are complaining about this change, they are complaining about how it was delivered as:

This is the important point - for someone who doesn't look outside the game for news, there is literally no warning. I'm not saying this change is not a great idea, and arguably overdue, but it probably should have been implemented with some consideration for players who genuinely just do not want to level past 60. Something as simple as exp gain being defaulted "off" upon this free upgrade would have prevented this.

Edit: I read elsewhere in the thread at least one person suggesting Blizzard was ripping people off with the Battle Chest, since BC is now part of Vanilla anyway. The Battle Chest includes not only Vanilla+BC, but ALSO strategy guides. So, you're paying 10 dollars extra for the strategy guides. I never ever buy strat guides for my games, so I don't know if that's a cheap deal or not, but that's what it boils down to.
07/11/2011 03:27 PMPosted by Wataki
they can always turn xp off for 10g

The problem with that, is then they will queue up only with other people who have xp turned off... and i tell you, those 3 hour queues for BGs are no picnic.

This was true before patch 4.0, but since then no-expansion and exp-off have been in the same bracket. Additionally, since battlegroups merged and the battleground queue bugs were fixed, the battleground bracket has actually had pretty decent wait times (though not nearly as fast as at 85).
07/12/2011 11:53 AMPosted by Lorinall
This was true before patch 4.0, but since then no-expansion and exp-off have been in the same bracket. Additionally, since battlegroups merged and the battleground queue bugs were fixed, the battleground bracket has actually had pretty decent wait times (though not nearly as fast as at 85).

Yup, This is very true! However, At level 85, I still do get a fairly long BG queue at times. This is mainly very late at night though, When most players are not playing.

As for The Burning Crusade expansion now combined with Vanilla WoW, Under one tree, I'm glad Blizzard did this.

Namely because it will make it cheaper to purchase the newer expansions, And allow those who only had Vanilla WoW to experience The Burning Crusade features!

Edit: Typo mistakes fixed in post.
Really random question- Now that you get BC with Vanilla, do free trial/starter edition accounts have access to the draenei and blood elf races? (Plus, the blood elf girl from the BC trailer is featured in the "now free to play up to level 20" ads.)
07/16/2011 06:22 PMPosted by Rinzuki
Really random question- Now that you get BC with Vanilla, do free trial/starter edition accounts have access to the draenei and blood elf races?

Yes, Trial accounts now have access to the starting areas for each race in The Burning Crusade, And the races as well.

You may read all about the newest features added to trial accounts by going to this page from the World of Warcraft Blog. If you still have any questions feel free to ask. =)

World of Warcraft Starter Edition:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3128270#blog

Edit: Edited post to provide information I located from this community site!
And thus, the level 60 twinks are officially dead.
07/20/2011 12:09 PMPosted by Churchill
And thus, the level 60 twinks are officially dead.

Essentionally, Yes, At the moment it appears that way. However, Don't forget there is always the option to turn off XP from being gained causing you to stop leveling up.

All you would need to do is remember to visit the NPC to turn off XP from being gained once you would reach level 60 in-game!

But in my opinion, I think level 70 is likely going to be the new level for most players that will have twinks when playing this game now. Should be interesting indeed how that plays out. More competition there is to be then. =)
19 bucks you say? thats not bad. same as the origional wow price but much better with tax but who cares about the small amount of tax? i dont cause you get 2 for the price of 1