About the Recent Authenticator Change

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 25 Next
I would rather have a USB key in place of the current authenticator.
If you have AV installed, don't click on "Sex legg" links, and have an authenticator then you have very nearly ZERO % to get hacked. Hell, I'd give you 1% but I honestly think that would be waaay overkill. Again, what you payed for/downloaded for free is just added security.

That small % will get their characters, items, gold... all back normally the same day they call support. I'd say blizzard is doing fine.
07/25/2011 07:37 PMPosted by Mierin
No this thread is asking for a Blue response (see title). Which you already got, and they are looking into it. The rest is simply spam.

I assume you are referring to the EU post from Blizzard Customer Service rep Gelmkar on 10 JULY that said:
There are a lot of valid concerns, which our developers are aware about, however we cannot give a direct response to all posts made.

Never the less we are not ignoring any feedback posted, its read and noted.

Or do you know of some other response from the EU forums?

07/25/2011 08:38 PMPosted by Slorebox
That small % will get their characters, items, gold... all back normally the same day they call support. I'd say blizzard is doing fine.

If someone has their items and gold deleted on a shared computer system protected by an authenticator they will not get any of it restored because the account was not compromised by Blizzard’s definition. In the past Blizzard recommended that people who were vulnerable to such a situation get an authenticator.
07/25/2011 04:37 PMPosted by Shadowwind
The one flicker of hope is that his reaction to the news that authenticating your account on one computer grandfathered in every one of the OTHER computers as well, indicated that this might be a bug and that we may have a chance of seeing it fixed.

like it does with my acct
which for those that didn't read all the threads means every time I authenticate, I re approve the computer in china that previously hacked my acct(cause pre used, non authenticated computers were not asking me as of the last time I looked... i'm not going to ask my daughter to log on for me to reverify... which is basicly a massive bug)
Don't use an authenticator to babysit/prevent your kids from logging onto your account and get you banned.

Conversely, don't use your kids to farm/herb/skin/mine/archeology for you in exchange for gold for their accounts.

problem solved.
you might not get a reply if you demand attention from a blue.
We understand the concern many players have with the recent Battle.net authenticator changes. To that end, we’re exploring the idea of adding an “Opt Out” option within Battle.net Account Management, which would then force the prompt for an authenticator code whenever you log into World of Warcraft.

To be clear, we have gone to great lengths to ensure Battle.net accounts and authenticators provide players with a high level of security. Maintaining a safe and secure Blizzard gameplay environment remains a top priority for us.
It really might help if you didn't call it a "failed system", and claim it won't work or is insecure simply because you do not have an adequate understanding of how this stuff works. It is every bit as secure in stopping random keyloggers from getting access to your account as it has always been.

The system takes into account a lot of information in deciding if you can log in without the authenticator. You make assumptions, and you get upset and blame Blizzard, assuming they don't know what they're doing.
We understand the concern many players have with the recent Battle.net authenticator changes. To that end, we’re exploring the idea of adding an “Opt Out” option within Battle.net Account Management, which would then force the prompt for an authenticator code whenever you log into World of Warcraft.

To be clear, we have gone to great lengths to ensure Battle.net accounts and authenticators provide players with a high level of security. Maintaining a safe and secure Blizzard gameplay environment remains a top priority for us.

Thank you for this information.

Personally, I was hacked while using the dial-in authenticator (Blizz's response and response time was amazing btw, I've not complaints there) but the dial-in authenticator did not seem to be any deterrent for the hacking and it seems work in a manner similar to the keychain authenticator. So I'm very distrusting of the keychain authenticator not requiring code entry on every attempt.

I'd like these options in the account setting pages:
1a require the code on every login to the game
1b not require the code on every login to the game

2a require the code to login to the forums
2b not require the code to login toe the forums

And of course, make account management pages always require the code.
Man I have a career in the IT field dealing with the security side of networks and I still don't get what is wrong with this change. Kudos to Blizzard though for giving the people what they want.

Very glad to hear this, and thank you for listening.
"Passion has overthrown tyrants and freed prisoners and slaves. Passion has brought justice where there was savagery. Passion has created freedom where there was nothing but fear. Passion has helped souls rise from the ashes of their horrible lives and build something better, stronger, more beautiful." -- Harry Dresden
07/26/2011 02:14 PMPosted by Vathril
Man I have a career in the IT field dealing with the security side of networks and I still don't get what is wrong with this change. Kudos to Blizzard though for giving the people what they want.

Mostly people don't understand... and they follow all the conspiracy theories related to not being "secure".

I welcomed the change and have loved not needing to type in my code every time. But I do appreciate Blizzard giving the option since so many asked for it.

Only now "exploring the idea?" Come on, guys...

omg, I gotta make a phone call
ya, hi Satan, would you like to buy some space heaters?
what are you guys doing to get hacked anyways? lol
^ I am Interested to know as well
Mostly people don't understand... and they follow all the conspiracy theories related to not being "secure".

I welcomed the change and have loved not needing to type in my code every time. But I do appreciate Blizzard giving the option since so many asked for it.

Personally, I love the change when I'm using my regular computer and I don't have to reach for my iPod touch every time I log in or change accounts. However, a few weeks back I borrowed a friend's laptop to play (while waiting on a replacement graphics card for the one I burned out) and I didn't particularly like that after one successful login with my authenticator, that laptop was considered just as good as my regular computer and I didn't get prompted anymore. My friend with the laptop would still need my password to get into my account.... but still, it would be nice to have an option to keep being prompted for the authenticator code in situations like that one where a computer is being shared.
07/26/2011 02:31 PMPosted by Mnemonic
Only now "exploring the idea?" Come on, guys...

Well, the ignorant masses have complained and asked for a way to become less secure again so it took them a bit to get around to it.