Tab Target

General Discussion
Prev 1 13 14 15 17 Next
know whats worse than not being able to get the target you want with tabbing? not being bale to get the target you want because you have entirely DC'd from the game because you were jumping and the direction in which you were jumping happened to have a 1mm raise in terrain. FIX JUMP RELATED DISCONNECTION ISSUES. It has been weeks. I am sick being DC'd or having my teammates DC in the middle of a rated battlegrounds.
its super annoying when im in a bg and i have a guy standing right in front of me hitting me and im tabbing and its cycling through all the people behind him im like AGHHHHHHH TARGET HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!
08/06/2011 06:06 AMPosted by Ebur
its super annoying when im in a bg and i have a guy standing right in front of me hitting me and im tabbing and its cycling through all the people behind him im like AGHHHHHHH TARGET HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was doing the JC daily where you do the test on folks in the city.

I was standing in front of the AH (where I usually stand), just alt-tabbing through and getting my quest done. I actually targeted somone outside the room (the walls). I had no idea where they were but the range on this thing is insane. Through walls onto people I don't even actively see.

Also tanking has been a treat since this has gone down.

This also might have something to do with the spike in times for the LFD lately. Tanks aren't queuing because of this?
Well tab targeting has always for me targeted something at long range or out of range. I focus on the tank target his target most of the time. What bothers me is that since they have change how hunters target IE like other ranged and no more auto target, it has been getting worse. As a melee I enjoy the fact I don't have to target by mouse or tab. I know I am damaging something. Encountered the dead mob bug in the last few days real bad yesterday. I also encountered the inability to right click a mob to activate auto attack. Even getting in range hitting an attack button and seeing my toon stand there picking its nose. Later on it went back to acting normal.

What I do like is that one I can aoe near a CC'ed target and not hit them.
That and and the hunter change is having an effect on tab targeting.

The guy that is beating on you and you are tab targeting him to hit back, try this click on screen away from them to remove your target, (sticky targeting unchecked) mob/player hits you, they then become your target.
Control V has an effect on your tabbing a target.
The mob getting behind you as a tank backing up in short half steps works for me.

For those of you that want a instant fix think of this windows has over 9 million lines of code, as WOW is constantly getting bigger they are adding more an more code lines making the job of finding the bug fix take longer.
We do have a fix for this ready, however, it will require a client-side patch to address. We're in the process of building a small patch to fix this and a few other issues which also need client updates. You're likely to see what we call a fast patch in the near future (a la patch 4.1.0A in recent past: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/patch-notes/4-1-0a).

Sorry, it's been a while since we've communicated anything about this. Our team has been very busy lately working on a lot of cool things, as well as finalizing plans for BlizzCon, but we're trying to keep our eyes on the forums as much as possible in the process. :)

I'm probably setting myself up for huge disappointment but I really hope the fix to tab-targeting also includes some overall improvements to the system in general. It would be nice to have options in the key binding interface to set tab to either /targestnextenemy /targetnearestenemy , etc. those are two very different commands and at present it seems the only option is for tab to /targetnextvisibleenemy which is nowhere near as useful.

Edit: Also, I would straight up loooove to see more "fast patches" and fewer to zero hot-fixes. Just putting that out there.

How do you know how it was prioritized? You don't and you are basing your entire angst ridden post on the fact that you think you do know. And again blues can only respond to issue when they have info from the devs. Otherwise the reason they are responding to silly threads is because they have nothing important to say at the time and interacting with the community on every level including responding to fluff threads is part of their job. They aren't here just to appease petulant children.

I am pretty sure that the fact that this bug has been around for months as a known bug is enough evidence that they prioritized it. If it was a high priority fix like it should be it would have been found and fixed within a week. And the fact that they are STILL working on new content and tweaking things while a bug is floating for months now shows that they are not even working on it like they should be.

It was reported the first day the 4.2 PTR was up. I'm pretty sure it was reported within an hour of the PTR being up. I read the PTR bug report forum a lot during that one.
08/06/2011 06:10 AMPosted by Ceea

Was doing the JC daily where you do the test on folks in the city.

I was standing in front of the AH (where I usually stand), just alt-tabbing through and getting my quest done. I actually targeted somone outside the room (the walls). I had no idea where they were but the range on this thing is insane. Through walls onto people I don't even actively see.

Also tanking has been a treat since this has gone down.

This also might have something to do with the spike in times for the LFD lately. Tanks aren't queuing because of this?

My only 85 tank is a druid. I did some tanking the first couple days of 4.2 until the targeting bug drove me nuts to the point where I stopped doing dungeons on him. So yes, tanks have definitely stopped queueing because of this. The last dungeon I did on him was the last straw...something ran at the healer, I first tried to mangle it...I had the correct mob targeted, but mangle caused it to switch to a dead mob, waste the mangle, and put it on cooldown. I then tried feral charge, ended up charging at something dead (didn't acutally charge, but it put charge on cooldown anyway). Then I tried taunt, only to have it switch again and target yet another dead mob and burn my taunt. So we ended up wiping, and I haven't tanked anything since.

My tank has officially been on strike, and will remain so until the bug is fixed.
I ... must be really... lucky.

I don't have issues tab targeting.. even on my tank.
I bet its annoying as hell.

Strange.
Any chance of there being a fix for the WorldFrame bug that's been causing headaches for anyone using a viewport addon in places like Uldum and Throne of the Tides since 4.1?
08/06/2011 09:25 AMPosted by Kurgul
WoW makes the whole party happen

Couldn't have said it better. I think we were all expecting top notch service, content, and patches when cata hit. The way they focused on streamlining certain aspects made the community believe bliz had finaly buckled down, and decided to show it's players a little more respect. Then cata hits and we're treated to another bug fest.

Everyone knows bugs are going to happen, that includes blizz. If you have people on the ptr telling you there's a bug, there should be a team of devs waiting to stomp it out. Instead we get to see crippling bugs like this go live, and bring down the experience for the players.

I knew what we were in for as soon as cata hit, and my warrior equiped his nice new crafted shield...in his armpit. Yeah a small graphical bug, but if they're willing to let something like that through, it's no wonder the number of other bugs that they are "unaware of".
I ... must be really... lucky.

I don't have issues tab targeting.. even on my tank.
I bet its annoying as hell.

Strange.

I have it, and yes, it is annoying as hell. I'm also teaching a friend to tank, and they've noticed as well. They try to taunt and fail because it goes on some mob that they weren't targeting.
Always love to hear from blues on stuff like this. As much as I love targeting dead bodies and enemies half way across the room I cannot wait to see this fixed.
THANK GOD! The tab-targeting nightmare has been the cause of much frustration and gnashing of teeth.
wanted to add my 2 cents...I noticed something strange the other day on my mage.

I physically targetted a mob. /petattack my pet attacks the mob i had targetted but I switch to something across the field..NOT..the target I had targetted...????

I have also noticed my pet seems to take off after things I have no clue to where they are going....very annoying when I need my pet close to me for certain freezing spells. But, I cant use them because he is off somewhere else.

FYI....lately when I log on...my settings have changed. Companions for example...I recently showed a guild member about Guild Page...when I logged and ported to another location ....this companion pops up. I checked my addon to see if this feature had been checked which may have caused the problem...it was not. Totally on server side, or at least that is what I am thinking it was.

I consider myself lucky because my macros use .../startattack on alot of my spells. But, I have noticed after reading this thread that I do have to click off target to remove my target and retarget something that I want to attack.

Something is definitly wrong with this game and i have to agree with this being a major issue with most of the players.
Targetting needs a complete overhaul really. Tab should target only the mobs in front of you within a small range while in combat, if there's no one in front of you then yeah, target the guy across the room behind a wall. In combat it should NEVER target a mob who isn't in combat with you.

Clicking needs to be more responsive, if your mouse is over a mob and you click it, the mob beside it shouldn't be the one selected. It used to work like that in vanilla, but during one of those extremely buggy patches leading up to bc, clicking got rewritten, and is now far to troublesome.

08/06/2011 02:20 PMPosted by Screwpunk
While we're on this topic, could you add an option where tab will NEVER target a totem or pet? Also, it would be nice if you could 'show enemy nameplates' without showing nameplates for totems or pets.

There's a keybind that will only target players characters. It's in the targetting section of the keybindings menu. Also there are some addons that will swap your tab key for the one you have bound to only target players in pvp. That way in pvp you can tab and be assured it'll only target the mage, not his copies.