A Brief History of Alterac Valley

Battlegrounds
Prev 1 5 6 7 26 Next
Wonderful post. I agree with the OP, bring ALL BACK. Undo the BALANCE MONGERING.
Excellent post. I agree 200%. I remember once, we had an AV that lasted over 3 days. I was still in High school so this took up my entire weekend. We started at around 3 in the morning on Friday and didn't end til 8 on Sunday. I skipped school that Friday. 3 days without sleep. Man those hotpockets never tasted better.
I don't remember Korraz or the Gnolls and the other NPCs in AV but I do remember everything else.

That is what this game needs PvP-wise. A long, drawn-out battleground of blood, sweat, and tears.

I remember fighting in one and 16 hours later, requeue only to find out I'm back in the same BG I left earlier that day.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting to be back in the same BG I had to leave earlier.

I hate WSG, AB was annoying....but AV was truly epic. I hated PvP but I will be glad to be a meatshield for the Alliance again if this was added back into the game.

You got my support.
Old AV would be so much fun, thus, it won't happen.

Blizzard is all about getting people in and out when it comes to PvP.
I've made a decision.

Our campaign will be called Adopt-A-Turtle, and it will focus on defending the Captains first, then recapturing bunkers and towers. That way, players who want to fight will get a fight right away, but the turtle will still happen.

Please post additional thoughts now, before the Adopt-A-Turtle thread goes live.

This is going to be a rough ride, people.

We're going to need all the help we can get.
Join the Call to Arms.

"Why Isn't AV Fun Anymore?"
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2743697818
"It's Time for Some PvP Lovin'!"
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2878768615
"A 'Brief' History of AV"
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2952885503
As an avid classic AV player, /signed

I've been "adopting a turtle" since the zerg-mode patch came in.

and I'll keep doing it.

(posting on this toon since its the one I used to play in classic.)
FREAKING YES.

please? :3
omg OP i was remembering running along the sides avoiding the field of strife since it was filled with rogues. capping towers back in the day on my warrior and tanking Van those were the days.

Then as i read i saw how my favorite BG was being destroyed and disfigured into something unrecognizable i think this is why people are leaving because the game they once loved is being destroyed.

idk if blizzard does care about WoW any more i may just leave. If nothing is done about PvP in the next patch i may just quit.
I remember a battle that took 24 hours +, and joining the same AV game I logged off of the night before. The pvpers!!! want to race and not actually pvp should know that the old pre-bc map was rushable. I was in a guild that killed the enemy general in under 8 minute and thats with all the guards in the game including that murderous troll in the gy near the field of strife. The race now is really boring.(loss of subscription is a good clue that things are not working like they used to in any aspect of wow) this is a great post that blizz should be made aware of. I would suggest that some not all but some send this link in an email to blizz. or we could make it a veritable blizzard of email to blizzard. (pardon the PUN) If I see any message in game concerning the defense of bases I will definately be there to help out.
I will never understand you people who have such a fascination with AV.

It's gone, and it's never coming back - and that is in the best interest of the game.

The reality: there just aren't enough people who would partake in it for them to spend time implementing it. I know you guys seems to think so, but think about after the first 2-3 months when the freshness of it wears off.

It's gone, and it's never coming back - and that is in the best interest of the game.

The reality: there just aren't enough people who would partake in it for them to spend time implementing it. I know you guys seems to think so, but think about after the first 2-3 months when the freshness of it wears off.

We understand that classic AV is not for everyone. Which is why we have proposed that it be taken out of the random queue. And honestly, in its current form it just simply doesn't offer much actual "PvP." I really don't understand how you can defend modern AV unless you're just in it for the honor. Most matches are just too formulaic and it the honor system discourages fighting the other team.

As for it getting old? Maybe, but everything gets old after a time. If Blizzard were truly worried about that we would never get any new PvE content as it all gets dated when the next patch hits. With my RL schedule I would only have time on weekends usually to partake in such epic fights (from beginning to end, hopefully). Would take a while to "get old" for me.

We understand that classic AV is not for everyone. Which is why we have proposed that it be taken out of the random queue. And honestly, in its current form it just simply doesn't offer much actual "PvP." I really don't understand how you can defend modern AV unless you're just in it for the honor. Most matches are just too formulaic and it the honor system discourages fighting the other team.

I'm not defending it, I am indifferent to it.

I just understand Blizzards philosophy of bringing battleground completion time to ~25 minutes because it is healthy for queue times.

As for it getting old? Maybe, but everything gets old after a time. If Blizzard were truly worried about that we would never get any new PvE content as it all gets dated when the next patch hits. With my RL schedule I would only have time on weekends usually to partake in such epic fights (from beginning to end, hopefully). Would take a while to "get old" for me.

Respectfully, I don't really understand your correlation between you wanting 9 year old content reinstated (and essentially placed into suspended animation) getting old, and Blizzard releasing new content every 3-4 months.

Basically, what I see happening if Blizzard were to implement it is a decent honeymoon period where everyone who has been asking for this for years clamors to get in, but then eventually the newness wears off, less and less people queue which increases queue times more and more.

Soon, the queue times become so high that people stop wasting time sitting in long queues causing queue times to get prohibitively long and then the whole thing dies about 6 months after inception.

You are asking Blizzard to introduce content that pretty much anyone can see is going to be a dead end ghost town, driving the vocal die-hards to the forums demanding Blizzard do something to fix the queue times.
/sign

You have my highest support.
history is made. Now we must deal with the future. I will assist in any way possible. I'll see if my guild is willing to help. also, there may be several achievs earned with this.
Our campaign will be called Adopt-A-Turtle, and it will focus on defending the Captains first, then recapturing bunkers and towers. That way, players who want to fight will get a fight right away, but the turtle will still happen.

Please post additional thoughts now, before the Adopt-A-Turtle thread goes live.

This is going to be a rough ride, people.

We're going to need all the help we can get.

Foury what if we could find away to get players to send out the ground attacks from capturing their mines? Then they would see the fun of doing quests to send out better units not just upgrading your GY guards by handing in the pieces of broken armor, and of course that will then increase reinforcements making the games longer and hence giving us more time to make players see the greatness of old AV?
finding a way to turtle it without losing the reinforcements AND managing to turn in the quests... we'll need some of the trinkets. If we can see the summons i think we can consider we completed an objective. 1k crystals/bloods to summon.

And http://www.wowwiki.com/Quest:Remember_Alterac_Valley!
Remember Alterac Valley!
Just wanted to pop in and show my support for this idea. Alterac Valley in its current state is a disgrace.

We should organize some old school Lok-summoning, Airstrike-calling, Cavalry-charging goodness the entire span of next AV weekend. Noesis will be in attendance.

For the Horde!
08/08/2011 10:45 AMPosted by Reshu
You are asking Blizzard to introduce content that pretty much anyone can see is going to be a dead end ghost town

See every raid ever.

New tier? Less players. New expansion? Ghost town.

08/08/2011 12:48 PMPosted by Tanosia
Foury what if we could find away to get players to send out the ground attacks from capturing their mines?

Without a dedicated team of about 5-10 players, there simply isn't enough time before the enemy zerg shows up. We would need a large team of turtlers, plus a team of resource-gatherers. And on top of that, we'd have to fight without killing or dying too much.

It's doable, but only with either a premade or a massive shift in general attitude.

Join the Call to Arms.

08/08/2011 03:56 PMPosted by Foury
You are asking Blizzard to introduce content that pretty much anyone can see is going to be a dead end ghost town

See every raid ever.

New tier? Less players. New expansion? Ghost town.

The difference being that Battlegrounds are made to be persistent, consistent parts of the game, hence why we are still playing things such as WSG.

Battlegrounds are not designed to become "outdated" like raid content is. The fact that you can (or refuse to) see the difference is startling.

The difference being that Battlegrounds are made to be persistent, consistent parts of the game, hence why we are still playing things such as WSG.

Battlegrounds are not designed to become "outdated" like raid content is. The fact that you can (or refuse to) see the difference is startling.

Maybe the comparison isn't perfect. If I spoke in haste, it was because your original comment was insulting. You assume that we will tire of Old AV within a few months?

With one minor exception, Arathi Basin hasn't changed at all since it was introduced. Do you know why my subscription still exists? It's not for raiding. It's for Arathi Basin. After five years of playing this game, I am still excited to see the AB loading screen every time it pops up.

Maybe Classic AV will enjoy only a temporary influx of new players, but as long as it is well crafted, people will continue to play it.

Join the Call to Arms.