Infinite dragonflight: good or evil

General Discussion
Post Limit:

The latest one. Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects. It's a good read if you're a lore buff.

Cool. This is one I was intending to get. Good to know I'll get to see some info on my favorite dragonflight.

Yep, I was on the fence as well but the fact that it delved into aspect lore made it worth the purchase for me. There are some parts that I went, "Eeeeeh...really?" at, but overall it's quite good!
but were absent for Mount Hyjal (where the timeline most likely would have been fine without any sort of interruption).

Are we sure? Dragons- especially infinite dragonflight members in many occasions- are known for their ability to disguise themselves magically. Perhaps agents of the infinite dragonflight were among the ranks of the scourge and legion without us even knowing?

Of course, that's just a theory. I can't prove it.
The Infinite Dragonflight wanted to alter the timelines to benefit THEM. They were not out to help any of the races on Azeroth by changing the time stream. "Think of the lives that would be saved if the Portal was never opened," claimed the dragon in CoT: Dark Portal. However, the bronze dragonflight told us that if the Dark Portal was not opened, the mortal races would have turned on each in civil war. Who benefitted if the mortal races fought and reduced their own numbers instead of uniting?

Would stopping Arthas from becoming the Lich King save lives? Yes. But if there was no Lich King, and no Scourge, what reason would the Horde and the Alliance have to unite against a common foe? Instead, they would have continued their fight with each other. Who benefitted from that?

We already know how singularly important Thrall has been to the Warcraft universe. The most recent books suggest that had Thrall died or not been freed, Adelas Blackmoore would have overthrown Loredaron and become king.

In all cases, with the mortal races at odds or distracted, it makes it easier to take them out. So far, the mortal races have been Loredaron's saving grace. Even Medivh admits this after the Third War. "The world no longer needs a guardian," he says.
good and evil are all a matter of perspective
If you consider the Infinite Dragonflight "good," I assume you feel the same way about the Burning Legion. They're not evil. They're trying to create ultimate order in the universe by destroying and/or subjugating all life.
08/05/2011 07:55 PMPosted by Fraxinus
If you consider the Infinite Dragonflight "good," I assume you feel the same way about the Burning Legion. They're not evil. They're trying to create ultimate order in the universe by destroying and/or subjugating all life.

you can always believe that one is good and the other is bad
08/05/2011 06:47 PMPosted by Wraifen
Just because future nozdormu doesn't agree with the titans, doesn't mean he is evil. Looking at what the infinite dragonflight is trying to do, i'd say we were the evil ones for stopping them. Im just curious though, why even bother with thrall in old hillsbrad, if they're going to attempt to stop medivh from opening the portal right after? And with the culling of stray, why not just go after malgannis before the plague was even spread at all? The infinite dragonflight sure does pick some weird times to intervene and change history.

when it came to old hills brad they failed so the portal was the 2nd pick

From our perspective. For all we know they started with trying to change the War of the Ancients, failed it, so then tried changing The Dark Portal, then Arthas, then Durnholde.
08/05/2011 06:38 PMPosted by Alona
The titans told Nozdormu when he was made an aspect that there is only ONE true timestream. The infinite dragonflight seeks to destroy that timestream by warping it. They are evil.

They tried to prevent the Arthas's rising- sounds good
they tried to prevent thrall's uprising.- sounds good to me, and might actually cause less dispute among horde/alliance because maybe the infinite saw a Warchief with a friendship amongst the Alliance that would cause peace.
black morass- tried to keep demons in their place

I think they are chaotic evil >:D like in D&D
They seem to do good things :P

I wanna join the infinite dragonflight! :D
08/05/2011 08:53 PMPosted by Frostblade
The titans told Nozdormu when he was made an aspect that there is only ONE true timestream. The infinite dragonflight seeks to destroy that timestream by warping it. They are evil.

They tried to prevent the Arthas's rising- sounds good
they tried to prevent thrall's uprising.- sounds good to me, and might actually cause less dispute among horde/alliance because maybe the infinite saw a Warchief with a friendship amongst the Alliance that would cause peace.
black morass- tried to keep demons in their place

I think they are chaotic evil >:D like in D&D

For the umpteenth time: As was emphasized in the books - if our timeline changes, some larger evil that we can't contain will ALWAYS take the place of the evils in our timeline. In most of them this means that the horde will never exist and thus when the high elves bring the legion into azeroth, we WOULD NOT be able to beat them. If we had never helped Thrall escape Durneholde, Blackmoore would have eventually killed him and the current horde would not exist.
08/05/2011 08:56 PMPosted by Alona
. If we had never helped Thrall escape Durneholde, Blackmoore would have eventually killed him and the current horde would not exist.

You say it like a bad thing?
bump
:)
They want to stop the first two wars, which looks good. But we stop them because the bronzes tell us it's going to destroy azeroth if those wars don't happen\.

I'm not sure if they're talking about the third war being lost, or something in cata.

It says in quest text during that place.

If the First War never happened...

The orcs would not have invaded Azeroth (good).

No common enemy would fracture the Alliance (bad)

The factions would turn on each other (bad)

It is easier to pick off many weak enemies than several strong ones. The Scourge would have done much more damage than they have in our timeline (bad)

In our timeline, the Horde and some humans following Jaina were the only ones who went to Kalimdor. In the timeline I'm explaining, only Jaina's humans would have gone there.

Without the assistance of the Alliance and Horde, the Night Elves would have been unable to stop Kil'jaedan (bad)

The Burning Legion would have been able to get to Azeroth (bad)

The Burning Legion destroys or corrupts all life on Azeroth (bad)

Tell me againt that stopping the First War is a good thing.
I think the phrase "the road to damnation is paved with good intentions" applies well to these fellows.
08/06/2011 05:37 AMPosted by Blackriver
I think the phrase "the road to damnation is paved with good intentions" applies well to these fellows.
lol
Escape from Durnholde is worth doing, if not for this lovely hat i have procured :)

but seriously, i want an infinite drake mount
and this
■Many people believe that the dragonflight is a force of good. If they had stopped Medivh from opening the Dark Portal, the Legion would have not invaded the Azeroth using demonized orcs. This would have allowed the humans, dwarves, and high elves alliance to band together and destroy the shattered remains of the Legion in the Eastern Kingdoms. Also the high elves' runestone at Caer Darrow would not have corrupted so they would have not broken away from the humans, allowing them to call for their help years later, during the Scourge attack on Quel'Thalas; the extra forces would probably have been enough to defeat the Scourge and high elves would had never turned into blood elves. This theory is suggested by Chrono-Lord Deja's comment during the opening of the Dark Portal: "Why do you aid the Magus? Just think of how many lives could be saved if the portal is never opened, if the resulting wars could be erased..." This suggests the Infinite Dragonflight wants people to survive. By stopping Thrall from escaping from Durnholde Keep, the Horde would never have formed and the Alliance could focus the attention on the orcs and defeat them without wasting resources to fight the Horde. If they had killed Arthas during The Culling, he would have never become the Lich King. This would have allowed Illidan to destroy Ner'zhul and the Scourge would be destroyed by the armies of the humans, dwarves, and high elves. The fact that Infinite Dragonflight wants mortals to survive is also suggested during the culling with Chrono-Lord Epoch's comment to Arthas, "the deaths you are destined to cause will this day be your own", suggesting the Infinite Dragonflight does not like death of innocent people, assuming his comments are truthful. In loreit's said that the forces of the Horde, Alliance, and night elves could defeat the Burning Legion without any help, but according to the theory of time travel, the adventurers that went back were actually the forces of the Alliance and Horde.

Honestly, this is how I like to think of the Infinite flight. And I like to believe this is how it would work too, not that some greater evil would take the place of the alterations. So, According to the titans there is one true timeline (didn't know that previously but ok), however, how do we know that it's the best case scenario? What does being the one true timeline as opposed to an alternate timeline mean? Do the bronzes really know what would happen with the infinites succeed? Someone has to be lying to us, or doesn't know the full truth. Honestly, I feel like we don't understand the Infinite dragonflight because as mortals of Azeroth and members of the Horde and Alliance we subscribe to the help the 5 dragon flight mentality and the Bronzes say it's bad so we time travel and kill some black dragons who are trying to change alter the events of history. We do plenty of questionable things in this game, and are rarely given the choice to do what we believe, but only to go with our factions.
Neither, they simply are.