Ideas for Death Knights in the next expansion

Death Knight
1 2 3 5 Next
Hi everyone.

These are some ideas I've come up with. The values, costs, durations, etc are all up for debate but the basic mechanism behind each ability is what I hope sounds fun and/or useful. I'm assuming a level cap of 95 but who knows. Hopefully this gives the developers some extra ideas (A Blue post would be awesome!). Feel free to post your own ideas here too :)

NEW ABILITIES

87- (FROST) Blessing of the Battle Maiden: Whenever you are killed causes you to return to battle as a Skeleton Warrior with 30% of your base health for 1 minute. If you survive for the full minute you are resurrected back to normal. Buff lasts 15 minutes. 15 minute cooldown. 2 Blood, Frost, unholy Runes. 10 second cast.

89- (UNHOLY) Banshee Consorts: Summons 3 Banshees to watch over you and increase movement speed by 15% while at least 1 banshee lives. Every fifth attack against you is reflected back to the attacker but kills a banshee. 2 Unholy Runes. 1 minute cooldown. 2 second cast.

91- (FROST) Lich King: For the next 12 seconds all your attacks gain a 30 yard range and your parry is rating increased by 15%. 1 Frost and Unholy Rune. 2 minute cooldown. Instant cast.

93- (BLOOD) Eldritch Engraving: Empowers your next attack to destroy 25% of the target's resource pool and slow their resource regeneration by 50% for 15 seconds. 25 Runic Power. 1 minute cooldown. Instant cast.

95- (UNHOLY) Horsemen of Apocalypse: For the next 60 seconds you go through 4 phases. War: your melee haste and armor are increased by 50% for 15 seconds. Famine: your auto-attacks leech 3% of the target's health to you. Pestilence: your auto-attacks debuff the target preventing healing to it. Death: all of your attacks strike for 3 times the damage. Any enemy that attacks you has a 10% chance to run away in fear for 3 seconds. 2 Blood, Frost and Unholy Runes. Depletes all of your Runic Power. 6 minute cooldown. 5 second cast.
NEW TALENTS
BLOOD: Blood Mills: Spawns a Desecrated Windmill behind you that increases your Health and Resource regeneration by 100% for 10 seconds while also decreasing enemy Health and Resource Regeneration by 50%. Becomes active after you make 5 critical strikes and requires you to have a Blood Shield active. 1 Blood and Unholy Runes. 45 second cooldown. 1.5 second cast.

BLOOD: Sinister Squashlings: Summons 5/10 Squashlings that attack the target that you're attacking. Each of their auto-attacks heals you for 1/2% of your total health. Each Squashling gets 10 attacks before it dies. Requires 1 Point in Blood Mills. (PASSIVE TALENT 2/2 POINTS).

BLOOD: Simulate: Allows you to cast Dark Simulacrum on a friendly player and increases the duration of the effect on both friendly and hostile units to 10 seconds. (PASSIVE TALENT 1/1 POINT).

FROST: Summon Frost Wyrm: Summons a Frost Wyrm for 10 seconds which flies in a 20 yard circle around you breathing frost upon the enemy closest to it. Once the effect ends any enemy within 5 yards of you is knocked back 30 yards. Only usable for 12 seconds after using Horn of Winter. 50 Runic Power. 3 minute cooldown. 1.5 second cast.

FROST: Piercing Winds: Your critical strikes also cause the target to bleed for 15/30% of the damage done for 8 seconds. (PASSIVE TALENT 2/2 Points).

FROST: Frozen Heart: Whenever you are stationary for 4 seconds you gain the Frozen Throne buff which increases your armor by 10% and causes your next Howling Blast cast within 5 seconds to debuff a 15 yard radius around the target with Frozen Rain which reduces enemy hit chance by 15% while Frost Fever is active. Requires 1 point in Howling Blast. (PASSIVE TALENT 1/1 POINT).

UNHOLY: Plague Machine: Spawns a Plague Cauldron at the target site. For the next 30 seconds any enemy within 15 yards of the Cauldron will be the target of Skeletal Engineers who toss plague barrels at them for burst and DoT damage. 2 Unholy and 1 Blood Runes. 3 minute cooldown. Instant cast.

UNHOLY: Wandering Plague: Enemies infected by your Frost Fever, Blood Plague and/or Unholy Blight have a 15/30% chance to inflict any active diseases they carry on any friendly unit within 10 yards. (PASSIVE TALENT 2/2 POINTS).

UNHOLY: Crypt Keeper: Empowers your Unholy Aura to also deal damage to anyone who strikes you. Whenever your Ghoul, Abomination or Gargoyle deals damage the cooldown on your Army of the Dead is reduced by 5 seconds. (PASSIVE TALENT 1/1 POINT).

NEW GLYPHS

-Banshee Consorts: Upon death the Banshee will curse the attacker with a strong 16 second DoT that also reduces all attributes by 5%. (PRIME)

-Blood Mills: Clears all snares, DoTs, poisons, diseases and bleeds from you when activated, but increases the cooldown to 2 minutes. (MAJOR)

-Summon Frost Wyrm: Also freezes any enemy who was knocked back for 3 seconds. (MAJOR)

-Plague Machine: Prevents the usage of any enemy healing spells in the area afflicted by the Cauldron. (MAJOR)

-Horseman of the Apocalypse: Causes you to levitate and leave an unholy aura on the ground where you pass which slows enemies passing through it by 30%. Unholy aura disappears if Death Knight is more than 15 yards away from the affected area. (MINOR).

Thanks for reading! ^_^
I gotta say, most of these ideas arent half bad and are actually pretty cool imo. Now, as for balancing I'm not sure how well it'd play out. In all honesty balancing us like above for the next expansion would totally be based on how all the other classes perform at the higher levels.

You also have to consider if blizzard would really put this much time into implementing these changes just for death knights when they have all the other classes. Even implementing these changes in an expansion might be a tad too...focused on one class? They still have raids, new quests, zones, PvP, and bug fixes to check besides catering to the death knight community.

All in all, very cool ideas, I would definately support these if they came into play, it just seems slightly unrealistic in my mind.
i really like this idea

87- (FROST) Blessing of the Battle Maiden: Whenever you are killed causes you to return to battle as a Skeleton Warrior with 30% of your base health for 1 minute. If you survive for the full minute you are resurrected back to normal. Buff lasts 15 minutes. 15 minute cooldown. 2 Blood, Frost, unholy Runes. 10 second cast.

GJ :)
It's nice to see some thought being put forth on some cool new abilities.
Blessing of the battle maiden is quite similar to that old Unholy dk talent that let them come back as a ghoul upon death though.
Wandering plague was a previous talent already.
I really like simulate though.

The ideas are nice but I think they would be a little OP, since it's hard to imagine what new abilities the other classes will have.
BLOOD) Eldritch Engraving: Empowers your next attack to destroy 25% of the target's resource pool and slow their resource regeneration by 50% for 15 seconds. 25 Runic Power. 1 minute cooldown. Instant cast.

25% is a bit exagerated, but the concept is nice, but 25%, in 4 mins you destroy the healerin an arena if he doesn't cast a spell, 10% would be more adequate imo
Blessing of the Battle Maiden: Whenever you are killed causes you to return to battle as a Skeleton Warrior with 30% of your base health for 1 minute. If you survive for the full minute you are resurrected back to normal. Buff lasts 15 minutes. 15 minute cooldown. 2 Blood, Frost, unholy Runes. 10 second cast.

./agree with the 30% base health for 1 min

./disagree if I get resurrected, either you make it that you can't receive heals during that minute or this spells become a self-brez like shammies + we already have a battle res.. cool idea though
Summon Frost Wyrm: Summons a Frost Wyrm for 10 seconds which flies in a 20 yard circle around you breathing frost upon the enemy closest to it. Once the effect ends any enemy within 5 yards of you is knocked back 30 yards. Only usable for 12 seconds after using Horn of Winter. 50 Runic Power. 3 minute cooldown. 1.5 second cast

nice spell imo, except that we already have it in our Unholy tree :P
As a frost DK, I wanna some skills to deal with kiting and range combat, the rest is just fine! :)
Heres what I would like to see

Frost:
Unbreakable Armor 1 min cooldown 1 Frost rune
Puts a thick layer of ice on the Death Knight's armor, absorbing the next (50% of armor) physical damage. while this is active you are immune to physical slowing and stoping effects. last 10 sec.

Unholy:
Bone Wall 3 min cooldown 1 unholy rune
Summins a bone wall infront of the caster, blocking line of sight for 8 sec. (bone wall does not block movement)

Blood:
Hungering Blade 10 sec cooldown 1 blood rune
The Death Knights rune blade hungers, causing a strike that burns 7% of the enemys mana and deals 100% weapon damage plus 50% of the mana burned as shadow damage. (using this will also put necro strike on a 10 sec cooldown)
Wow thanks for all the positive feedback ^_^

I really like all of your suggestions. Hopefully the developers like them too. In terms of class balance it might work out that everyone could be a little OP now and then (hence the lengthy cooldowns). Level 100 is not far off at this point so maybe we're starting to acheive epic/heroic status ;)
PURE AWESOME!!!

These kind of ideas are what blizz need to be thinking about.
those could be 31 point talent options but i dont think it would work if all specs got them
95- (UNHOLY) Horsemen of Apocalypse: For the next 60 seconds you go through 4 phases. War: your melee haste and armor are increased by 50% for 15 seconds. Famine: your auto-attacks leech 3% of the target's health to you. Pestilence: your auto-attacks debuff the target preventing healing to it. Death: all of your attacks strike for 3 times the damage. Any enemy that attacks you has a 10% chance to run away in fear for 3 seconds. 2 Blood, Frost and Unholy Runes. Depletes all of your Runic Power. 6 minute cooldown. 5 second cast.[/quote]

^^^^^^^^^
/Drool.
Something Very similar to this would be amazing, its a little too long and too OP to be implemented, but im sure blizzard would tweak with it how they liked to make it shorter.

Awesome idea mate. Maybe instead of them being buffs/debuffs we'd get similar moves like the four horsemen in naxxramas did. Like War: causes you to rain down a giant fireball from the sky that hits for x amount of dmg and increases dmg by x amount the closer its targets.

Also something i'd like to see: Bring back corpse explosion - Bone shrapnel 1/2 (increases the area of affect damage of your corpse explosion by 15%) 2/2 (increases the area of affect damage of your corpse explosion by 30%)

Might of the Lich King: your necrotic strike when used Defiles the ground underneath your target, causing shadow damage every second underneath them and becomes bigger for every 2 seconds they remain within the area only spreading to 20 yards but increases shadow damage taken by 5% every 3 seconds they remain stacking up to 3 times.

Edit - Cannot be used in conjunction with desecration or D&D
Also why not make Horseman of the apocalypse be a chance to proc ONE of those 4 abilities everytime you have a successful Dark simulucrum
Level 99 (Unholy) - Titan's Death Grip: draws all enemy targets in a 10 yard radius toward the death knight and forces them to attack the death knight for 3 sec.

Level 100 (Frost) - 4.0.3: Your Howling Blast does 100% cleave damage, and your Hungering Cold is instant again.
i like the piercing winds and summon frostwyrm ideas
however i think it would fit better if renamed piercing cold and went off your frost ability crits and possibly obliterate

for frostwyrm i like the idea seeing as frost is the only dk spec that doesnt have its own spec specific spawnable pet. unholy has gargoyle and blood has the dancing runeblade. i would suggest you make it so that the frostwyrm does the same thing as Rymefang in the scourgelord fight of Pit of Saron. damaging/slowing ice patches on the ground at the target specified would add a nice dynamic instead of a knock back putting more distance on your target.
Heh gotta say I love some of the ideas, mostly the first since its pretty much the same ability unholy got which let us come back as a ghoul, freaking miss that ability so much, but alot of them seem very op but I like all the deathy flavor that was put in them its what death knights need.
This has prompted my own theorycrafting side so here goes;

Glyphs

Dark Succor - Prime
Your Death Strike heals you for 2% for every 5 Runic Power you currently have. Up to 20% total.
Runic Power is not consumed by this effect.

Howling Cold - Prime
Your Howling Blast has a 8% per target to freeze an enemy, immobilizing them for 6 seconds and preventing any actions and increasing the damage dealt by your Frost Fever ticks by 100%. Damage other than your diseases will break this effect. This effect can proc on multiple targets
effected by a single Howling Blast.

Runic Obliteration - Prime
Obliterate now deals damage as Frost damage and deals 45% of the damage dealt as additional damage over 9 seconds.

Flash Freeze - Major
Hungering Cold is now instant cast and costs no Runic Power to use, but has a 3 minute cooldown.

Permafrost - Major
Increases the effect of Pillar of Frost by 10% and it's duration by 20 seconds, but increases it's cooldown by 1 minute.

Dark Transformation - Prime
Dark Transformation no longer consumes the stacks of Shadow Infusion, nor requires them to be cast. However, Dark Transformation costs 60 Runic Power to cast and is a permanent effect.

That's all I've got atm, I think up some more and edit them in later.
Thanks for the brainstorming thread, haha.