Dragonwrath and YOU

Mage
Prev 1 3 4 5 13 Next
edit: checking things again
10% is quite significant. It is interesting, however, that the proc rate for frost was essentially unchanged for you. Granted, it might be the sample size, but these poor frost mages still derive roughly 10% of their damage from their pet, don't they?
I noticed that some of your Arcane Missiles were displaying 7 Hits. Were you casting it multiple times in a row at all, or is that from multiple procs during the same spell?

EDIT: I also saw you got two procs within 3 seconds of each other from Arcane Blast, so it doesn't seem to have an ICD. Some procs were dealing more damage than the initial hit, indicating damage modification from Mana Adept, Arcane Power or Arcane Specialization, but most procs weren't displaying this (specifically Arcane Missiles).
I noticed that some of your Arcane Missiles were displaying 7 Hits. Were you casting it multiple times in a row at all, or is that from multiple procs during the same spell?

Multiple procs within the same cast.

08/12/2011 04:25 PMPosted by Exo
EDIT: I also saw you got two procs within 3 seconds of each other from Arcane Blast, so it doesn't seem to have an ICD. Some procs were dealing more damage than the initial hit, indicating damage modification from Mana Adept, Arcane Power or Arcane Specialization, but most procs weren't displaying this (specifically Arcane Missiles).

I know for arcane blast this happens sometimes. For example if I'm at a 4 stack of arcane blast and I have missiles up but I want to remain at high mana. If I cast arcane blast at a 4 stack and want to use missiles right after, sometimes there is a very very small window when you transition from 4 stacks of ab to 0, so your arcane blast debuff will fall off, but the staff will proc, and put you at a 1 stack of arcane blast while you are channeling arcane missile.

These arcane blast procs will not gain the benefit of the 4 stack (since the stack fell off technically because you cast missiles).

If it procced off an arcane blast that wasn’t at 4 stacks then the proc would probably benefit from the increase in stacks.

If it procced off an arcane blast that wasn’t at 4 stacks then the proc would probably benefit from the increase in stacks.

That's also a good possibility.
08/12/2011 04:54 PMPosted by Glasse
so if it uses fof proc with an extra ice lance does it mean it could use/give more lunar/solar power?! If it did it could be ridiculously stong for a moonkin.

It seems that way, yes.
Thanks for the info dude and grats again. This will continue to make me more and more jelly as time goes on because making the legendary in 10 man is stupid.

At any rate, I've only skimmed over the logs a bit since I got home, but have you tried shatter combos on the dummies/players yet? I see from previous posts that Ice Lance takes away a FoF proc, but have you seen if the Dragonwrath proc'd spell will trigger a Shatter effect on something deeped/nova'd? I am assuming it can since it used up a FoF proc. If so, you could probably see frost mages easily global'ing people in pvp by doing 100k+ damage in one shatter combo (with two frostbolt crits and two ice lance crits).

P.S. Long live Daggerspine... well maybe only in vanilla :)! While you may have world first Legendary, I beat you to 8/8 T2! :P
08/12/2011 12:46 AMPosted by Einzbern
If you cast ice lance with only one FoF charge, and the proc happens, will the proc also get double damage? My guess would be no since you say it eats 2 charges of FoF.

That is correct, it will not.
So, my dear Gnome, does roughly 10% seem to be the final word?
08/12/2011 05:15 PMPosted by Saumor

It’s probably good enough to start theorycrafting for non pet specs

he said that Frost was 10.25% and TECHNICALLY frost is a pet spec due to the Water Elemental.
08/12/2011 05:23 PMPosted by Delritha

he said that Frost was 10.25% and TECHNICALLY frost is a pet spec due to the Water Elemental.

We can deal with decimals later. The idea is to get a rough yet robust estimate of the base proc rate.

We can deal with decimals later. The idea is to get a rough yet robust estimate of the base proc rate.

Other, more pet reliant, specs might get a larger bonus % so I wouldnt try applying frost’s results to other classes

Other, more pet reliant, specs might get a larger bonus % so I wouldnt try applying frost’s results to other classes

Precisely. I'm a warlock and I'm confident the proc rate will be adjusted appropriately. The base proc chance is just to get you an idea of what should happen to your damage, over time.
I'm surprised they went as high as 10% for the proc chance. That means that the proc on the staff is worth at least a 10% dps increase, perhaps significantly more for some classes (like Boomkins getting additional lunar/solar energy from the proc.) This will make the staff far better than anything in the next tier of raiding, and probably better than anything in the tier after as well (assuming that Cata has four raiding tiers.)

I'm curious, has any legendary had a "special" that was this good? I know Shadowmourne's was not. I guess Thunderfury...
Val'anyr, Hammer of Ancient Kings' proc was extremely good.
Val'anyr was introduced in the 2nd tier of raiding the last expansion and was used all the way through Halion 25h. So if Dragonwrath is used to kill heroic Deathwing it will merely match how good the healer legendary was in Wrath. You seem to have a very short and selective memory.

No legendary will ever come close to how overpowered Thunderfury was, to the point of being good enough to be used for progression raiding after the level cap was raised with a new expansion.

d) have you tested to see if the proc can miss?

Yes, the "proc" spell can miss. See below:

18:31:54> Siiz's Ice Lance hits Raider's Training Dummy for 4058 Frost.
18:31:55> Siiz's Permafrost heals Water Elemental for 0.(609 Overhealed)
18:31:55> Siiz's Ice Lance misses Raider's Training Dummy.

edit: Regards to the 10% proc chance, the numbers I have come up with so far is leaning me towards this, but as always, this could be off/wrong because of the little amount of data I have.