Let's face it, Transmogrification is... #2

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5
To be fair to WoW's artists and modelers, whether gear is "cool" or not is highly subjective. Many people posted how much they disliked TBC gear, years ago, and since then many other people have waxed nostalgic over the TBC gear appearance.

I'm pretty sure the artists will make the best looking armor and weapons that they can, and that they'll hope you'll want to display it. If not, or if for other reasons we prefer a different appearance, how is having the choice a bad thing?

I in no way believe the artists are going to stop trying to make awesome looking armor. I also believe that a lot of today's armor that gets panned will be looked back on next expac as the look of "the good old days."

T6 with some troll shoulders ;)
To be fair to WoW's artists and modelers, whether gear is "cool" or not is highly subjective.

This. With every new gear set, every single one since the beginning of the game, there have been people who like it and people who hate it. This will not change with tranmog. What will change is that the people who hate it can wear what they like instead.
wth people begged for something like this for 5 years

Now when they say we can have it all you do is cry and !@#$% that it isnt the way you want it

Now when they say we can have it all you do is cry and !@#$% that it isnt the way you want it

To be fair, the people who are crying are probably not the same people who were begging.

<-- begger, now very very happy :)
Paladin. Lawbringer set minus helm and shoulders. Add Dawnsteel Shoulders.
Think to yourself, "Oh, that's pretty cool! I should get that for a transmogrification!"

Notice that while that pattern is for anyone, the shoulders are BoP. Cry, curse, spit venom, rage, and rock yourself in a corner till you get over the fact that you can't ever have it.

Oh wait...we skipped over bargaining! Can we get some of these old craftable items made BoE? Purdy please???

People wanted to be able to recolor their gear and make matching sets of gear along those lines. Something like taking the T12 gear and coloring it blue or yellow or ANYTHING because I'm going color blind looking at red instances filled with fire on a character that is all red and fiery.

Back in vanilla, everyone had their clown suits on and it when people started getting their tier sets together, it looked amazing. The full dungeon sets looked amazing as well and all because you actually had gear that matched. This same trend followed into BC with gear looking like christmas trees until you started matching it up from drops. Wrath it actually got better since they tried to keep the leveling gear sets somewhat similar in appearance with the color only being the major difference for most and on top of that a lot of the tier gear was easier to obtain.

Transmog is just another example of how blizzard is reusing content instead of focusing on new art designs. It's like someone asked the question, how can we implement this without a lot of work? On one side, you could just change the appearance of something to art that they have already created and on the other side required designing multiple different colors for every piece of armor in the game. If you look at it like that, then the decision is easy. If you look at it from a player perspective though, it's causing all the questions and issues that have already come up. Not to mention the development time making sure stupid things like farmer joe with his straw hat and pitchfork isn't tanking ragnaros.

I'm ultimately frustrated because the gear design hasn't developed with the game. In the recent twitter or whatever feed discussing it, a question came up about the designs of the gear sets and how they were focusing on themes for the sets based on the tier of content. That's all fine and great, but moving some spikes around and changing the color is not a new design and that's where my big complaints are coming from. I like things being themed, but what I don't like is the entire design of the set being tied up in the shoulders/helm and the rest of the pieces being boring as hell. This is all on top of the lack of real design changes that have come out of the sets.

I want gear to stand out because it's different. T2 pally was great because when it was released, it was incredibly different from the previous gear sets. But, aside from a few outliers over the years, they fall back to the same concepts when designing gearsets. Hell, looking at the pally t12 set, I have the same exact battle kilt from T2 with just a different skin and recolor. It's not a new design.