Idea: World of Warcraft Map Editor?

General Discussion
What if there was a tool where you could create your own personal WoW environment, your own zone, the like, and it had a terrain, buildings, of your choice, NPCs of your creation, and your own quests/dungeons, and perhaps even custom lore?

It'd be quite similar to the Map Editor back from WCIII and WCII for those of you who remember that or know of it.

What would your map contain? Discuss your map in the forums below, or your opinion on this idea.

inb4 someone links this idea to Minecraft.
Let's leave the Warcraft creating to the professionals.
Sounds to me there's not too much word on this.

Some hardships on the editor would be the difficulty and the size, size of the maps, hosting those maps and a number of things.

In theory.

Would take quite a compressing.

On the bright side, it reflects more of a personal reflection through this, more of an opening and more of a...recording of idea, sort of speak.

Blizzard has already said NO.

They have no desire to give away trade secrets by releasing a set of creation tools for WoW.

I see. I was unaware of this.

May you please reference this?
I can understand the desire to keep things secret but, maybe give us some striped down version so we could make things on a smaller scale. For example buildings and such.

Nothing to elaborate just a tool we could use to share our idea with blizzard (a.k.a. user generated content) the stuff that is top notch blizzard could then develop and add to the game.

It could be a way for blizzard to increase content while reducing development costs.
Blizzard has already said NO.

They have no desire to give away trade secrets by releasing a set of creation tools for WoW.

Trade... Secrets?

That's a joke right? Because there's really no such thing in the industry.
What if there was a tool where you could create your own personal WoW environment, your own zone, the like, and it had a terrain, buildings, of your choice, NPCs of your creation, and your own quests/dungeons, and perhaps even custom lore?.

Blizzard already has that, its in house only (of course.)

Not really sure what your point is.

----------

Reference it? Why would the poster have to "reference it"? You've HEARD of intellectual property, and/or COPYRIGHT? See, they don't want anyone else to use it because they use it to make their copyrighted game, which is their intellectual property value, in a public company with shareholders.
In the Official World of Warcraft Magazine, there are screenshots of the WoW Map Editor being used to shape the scar through the Barrens, and place some trees.
The problem with something like this, is if player creations were to be made public, we would see quests like:

'BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.

GO BLFGHF AND THEN FHOASDHF TO GET Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker'

And a zone with flying trees.

Flying. !@#$ing. Trees.

Of course, it's a nice idea, but would need a stupidity filter.
And a zone with flying trees.

Flying. !@#$ing. Trees.

http://www.wowhead.com/zone=3518
This program already exists, however it is unavailable to the public as far as I know.
08/23/2011 10:40 PMPosted by Valdorii

I think this was actually brought up by a blue/dev, or in an interview, a while back. That they were thinking about ways that it could happen, but that if it was going to happen it was a long way off.
08/23/2011 10:40 PMPosted by Valdorii

LoL.

I fined it funny when people make statement like this. Did a professionals invent the Air Plane? No. The Wright Brothers did in their garage. Two guy that knew as much about aviation as any one in that day and age.

Yes professionals can make some amazing things. But never underestimate the armatures!
Star Trek Online has user-created content, and it works out much better than you think it does in an MMO.

The content created in STO can't really replace normal game activities, but it allows you to earn the equivalent of something similar to Valor points. Since you already get Valor points in this game by doing stupidly simplistic activities (running 4.0 heroics most notably), and that list is sure to expand in Pandaland, player-created content might not be a horrible idea.

LoL.

I fined it funny when people make statement like this. Did a professionals invent the Air Plane? No. The Wright Brothers did in their garage. Two guy that knew as much about aviation as any one in that day and age.

Yes professionals can make some amazing things. But never underestimate the armatures!

The Wright Brothers invented Airplane because they didn't go to school. Scientists at that time proved that it was impossible to create Airplane.
Did you ever see the back of a 20 dollar bill man??? Did you ever see the back of a 20 dollar bill on weeeeeeeeeeeddddd?
good idea but it would create alliance and horde players making zone that are all about watching them kill the other faction.