Mage
Prev 1 8 9 10 70 Next

- What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
Both.

- If PvE, what type of PvE?
Raids.

- If PvP, what type of PvP?
Rated BGs.

- What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?
The water elemental says "in combat" for several seconds after combat ends, keeping me from mounting.

- What makes playing your class more fun?
When 2+ specs are viable, and I can switch between them. It helps when the stat preferences aren't radically different.

- What makes playing your class less fun?
Pets. I chose this class deliberately to avoid pets; it was the ONLY ranged pure DPS class without a pet! It's too late to remove the Water Elemental, but please back off with it and don't add any new pets.

- How do you feel about your “rotation”?
Fire's rotation is fun when you have enough crit to get Hot Streak procs. It's boring at low crit rates.

Arcane needs another button. Simple is fine since it also watches mana, but the current simplicity is too much. Another button in the burn phase would help especially.

Frost's need to squeeze pet Freeze into a GCD in the core rotation is obnoxious due to the targeting requirement.

- What’s on your wish list for your class?
I'd like Blink not to be a DPS loss. Blink's mobility is the most fun part of the class, and it's sad that optimization discourages us from using it. Consider how Incanter's Absorption mitigates the DPS loss from the Mage Ward GCD; I'd like something similar for Blink.

Arcane needs more mobility. Burst needs to be immobile for PvP reasons, but there's no need to punish the mobility of the conserve phase. If anything, it can enjoy high mobility for contrast.

Pyromaniac overspecializes Fire towards AE. I'd like a complementary mechanism for Fire's single-target.

- What spells do you use the least?
Frostfire Bolt. Except for Frost where it's Fireball. Why not merge them?

Fire Blast, except with Impact. I almost never use it for mobility; there aren't enough points to get the talent that makes it useful.
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

This feedback is about PvE, although I play some PvP too.

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Heroics, some casual raiding.

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?

I'm not sure that I understand the question, so N/A.

What makes playing your class more fun?

- Being able to choose a damage tree which suits one best (fire, frost, arcane) and the diversity they provide. Talents trees not providing (approximately) equal DPS potential is a big preventer for that (see below).
- Being able to insert massive short burst phases into a fight

What makes playing your class less fun?

- It feels like the damage trees are not providing equal PvE damage, and people play (or are naturally expected to play) the tree providing the highest damage potential. There are minimum DPS requirements on most fights after all and 1K DPS might make the difference...

- The fire tree (hot streak procs) feel way too RNG dependent for the available crit %. I suggest to smooth out the damage somehow, more procs, less damage per proc.

- The current play style of arcane is not very fun IMO, see below.

- I really like the frost play style, but the damage is just too low for serious PvE.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

This feedback for arcane:
- It feels like there is no "rotatation". Arcane is a two-button spec. Yes most people disagree since playing arcane requires so many more abilities to use properly, but what I mean is that >90% of the damage comes from AB and AM, thus 2 buttons. In comparison to other classes / specs this seems awkward.
- I really do not enjoy the mastery which is probably the only one in the game that requires you to preserve the classes energy resource to the max in order to do max damage (except for the burst phases which end in reloading mana immedaitely to >90%). I truely believe that is more fun to manage your energy resource to optimal depletion with a (short) rotation in order to do max dps.

This feedback for frost/fire:
- I like the reactive play style of these talent trees.
- I really do not enjoy how much they fall back in potential behind arcane and other DPS classes.

What’s on your wish list for your class?

- Make frost PVE damage comparable to arcane, fire and other pure DPS classes so that it can be a serious PvE spec... finally.

- Improve AOE capabilities and play complexity (comparable to other classes)

- Fix the RNG issues for fire

- Redesign arcane entirely. It sucks as is.

What spells do you use the least?

I use all of them regularly. Teleport: Darnassus probably the least.
•What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

PVE, I did PVP a long time ago on a different mage but that interest has since past due to changes made in the PVP genre.

•If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

All. Raiding multiple days and toons, heroics nearly daily, quests as much as I can. I do all of it. I'd do more if it didn't feel so grindy; I DON'T do dailies for this very reason.

•If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

BG's and Arena. I use to live in WSG, but alas, my teams flagroom is no longer my Fortress of Magical Domination.

•What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

A firespec that is based LESS on crit and the RNG factor of crit. Overhaul it, I don't care, I'm just tired of the spec that is the reason I started playing a mage to be nearly unfulfilling till gear brings me above 50% crit.

•What makes playing your class more fun?

Using all my skills in a battle. The main reason I enjoy PVP at all is because I get to use the spells I don't normally use in creative ways. Raid fights pretty much force you into certain specs and rotations as oppose to allowing use of many skills.
As an offshoot from that, also kiting. Mages and Hunters are the forerunners in kiting (as they should be) and I would like to be doing more of it. That was what made my class unique, powerful, and fun. Saving the group from a wipe because I was able to kite the last mob to death alone is empowering.

•What makes playing your class less fun?

Fights where I sit and spam 2-3 buttons and stare at a mana bar or damage log to manage my effective DPS are absolutely boring! Also, as a raid leader, it takes away from my potential as a player if I have to lead and play a class that requires you to monitor such details constantly; this could partly be a Q of L issue as well. I want to move around and do stuff!

•How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

It's too simple in most cases. Fire can have it's moments, and Frost really takes the lead on a fun rotation, but arcane is an absolute bore! I honestly feel like arcane should be about spell weaving more than any of the other two specs, but it does the least. I've often pondered with friends about what a good setup would be needed to have a spec or class that combined spells or cast certain spells together for a larger more dynamic effect. I feel arcane is a prime candidate for something like this.

•What’s on your wish list for your class?

As I mentioned in the rotation part, I'd like to see dynamic spell weaving. This could be in the form of casting multiple spells at once or combining spells for a new effect.

I also find myself often saying, "I wish I had THAT spell," when facing certain NPC's.

•What spells do you use the least?

Ring of Frost, Frostfire Bolt (outside of frost and even then it's only a proc), counterspell. I find counterspell odd to be on here, but frankly, the CD is way too long to really use it as much other than a quick save for someone who missed their assign inturrupt target. These spells see much more use in PVP but only because the reasons they aren't in PVE are the very reasons they are used in PVP. I feel like the tug of war between these two genres is limiting the Mage's potential.

Oh, and Fire Blast. It's really only good for Impact now and we have to talent that...
Part 1 of 2 (character limit was too much)

PVE

Heroic raid content

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

The 5 minute CD on tables doesn’t make sense to me.

Charges on mana gem seems outdated. It is clearly intended that we can use more than 3 charges on longer fights since we can re-summon them as much as we want in combat. Fights lasting more than 6 minutes have not been uncommon in Cata content so far so that means we have to re-summon the gem regularly, which just feels like wasted time. It seems the last logical step after removing the 163 individual mana gems that we used to have.

To be honest I just love everything about playing a mage; the way we do our dps, the mobility in combat, the mobility out of combat, all of it. I’ve played one since Vanilla and while I’ve had alts I’ve never once had the desire to switch mains.

Only when mages are in such a bad position that there’s always a reason to bring other classes. Everyone gets their turn topping the meters, but when things or so bad that nearly all other classes bring better dps and other utility then its an issue although this admittedly hasn’t happened very much nor in some time.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

Arcane (single target): I’d like to see some more involvement from Arcane Barrage in the normal rotation. At the moment it is only used for clearing your stacks if you are in a conserve phase or during movement. Having a spell to use during movement is fine, but I would just like to see another spell used during Arcane’s rotation. I am fully aware that the “complexity” of the spec comes from watching your mana, procs, and CDs – which is fine with me, I don’t feel that most PVE dps rotations are particularly complicated – but it seems a little dry to me. And as we get into T13 gear/stats we will be able to afford to fish more and more for an AM proc during our conserve phase, using Abarr less and less.

The other problem with Arcane’s rotation as we get into T13 gear is that a lot of that “mana management” could very well disappear. Right now, with fairly decent heroic T12 gear, when I am in my conserve phase I have to bounce between 3xAB-> AM and 4xAB-> AM because doing 4 ABs isn’t mana neutral and 3 ABs is too mana positive. I enjoy that part of the game, trying to judge what I need to do next and when I need to switch between the two or fish for a proc versus clearing with Abarr. But once we get another tier’s worth of gear the stats should be enough where that won’t be necessary and we’ll be back to ICC’s straight 4xAB rotation during the conserve phase, which definitely takes some of the skill away while making the spec less interesting to play.

Arcane (AoE) – I like the interaction of AE and keeping your AB stacks up, while also being in melee range. While the melee range component seems to be something people complain about it I think that makes it more fun. If we really need ranged AoE then we can go Fire or figure out strategies like standing away from the rest of group for the seeds on Rag then blinking into melee range.
What type of content do you focus on? PvE

If PvE, what type of PvE? Raids, but I run instances for gear and currency.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? - Mage Ward is annoying to keep up in fire fights -- it's a 30 second buff with a 30 second cool down, meaning there is no such thing as refreshing it early.

What makes playing your class more fun? Big bangs -- one of the most enjoyable aspects of Fire is that you get to see things explode. Arcane not so much.

What makes playing your class less fun? Unreliable class mechanics!
- Mirror Images not dropping aggro, not dropping targeting on me, not DPSing after a target switch or transmogrification. 2pc T12 in permanent aggressive stance.
- Flame Orb tripping over a pebble on the ground and disappearing before it can do any damage -- at least 4 of the boss rooms in FL have these barriers.

If I have to move for more than 3 GCDs (Arcane spec), my DPS drops through the floor. In Fire spec, movement simply dropped my DPS by a bit. I would like some middle ground available for Arcane, i.e., stationery == high DPS, moving == mid DPS.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? Arcane is a delicate balancing act. It's easy (and mundane) during a burn phase, but gets very tricky on phase transitions or when you have to break transitions because of movement or boss phase change. Mana conservation phase feels very much like the game of Joust, or perhaps paddleball. It's very challenging and it frustrates me no end that I cannot keep up with the other mage in my guild even though we have similar gear. I still prefer Arcane to Fire "rotation".

Fire requires so much target switching and prioritizing that I feel I just can't keep up. If you've seen an old shot of a typewriter and several keys getting jammed, then you get my feeling when two procs and a cool down happen at the "same time".

- Guest teleporter -- allow you to teleport a friendly player that agrees to it. Don't have to be in party with them, and thus lose your spot in RDF.
- Mage class mount.

What spells do you use the least? Teleport/Portal spells to Exodar/Shattrath, Polymorph (anything but sheep -- I'm a traditionalist), Frost Armor, Dalaran Brilliance
Part 2/2 (character limit reached)

Fire (single target) – Current damage aside, I like how the Fire tree is set-up and its rotation.

Fire (AoE) – The problem I have with Fire AoE is that its strength, which is on higher health adds that you can build up a good combustion on then spread it, is that its then dependant on a 10% proc (impact). Using Blastwave and/or Flamestrike on a large group of adds generally guarantees an impact proc but those aren’t the situations where you are really looking to get one because lots of adds generally means weaker adds which are going to die fairly quickly. Its when you have a few big adds that you want one, but then trying to get an impact proc while maintaining a good ignite for combustion becomes very subject to RNG. I’m sure there are PVP considerations if the proc is either upped or made something we can control due to the stun component but there has to be a better way to work that out.

Frost (single-target) – I really like the re-design of Frost’s playstyle that took place for Cata and think it’s a really fun spec right now. I even used it in place of Arcane for all our normal mode kills in week 1 of FL. I’d love to see it a little more competitive.

Frost (AoE) – I’m not sure you could consider Frost’s AoE a rotation. I don’t know if it’s been shown that keeping the Flamestrike dot on the ground while spamming Blizzard is better than just Blizzard spam but I think we can all agree that Frost’s AoE is pretty lackluster from a gameplay perspective.

Ignite. The DoT fix certainly helped, but the problem still exists of ignite munching from spells which hit too closely together. And the problem with that is that Fire has Hot Streak, which once it procs is always going to be fired off right at the end of whatever other spell you are casting and even with different flight times (I *think* Fireball and Pyro have different flight times though I’m not positive) they still hit together too often and create situations where ignite damage is lost.

The best solution I could come up with fixing that problem would be each spell having its own ignite dot, which would all be rolled into Combustion when used. That should work, but creates the problem of all the extra dots Fire mages are putting up and if you have a 25 man raid with 4 mages then that’s a lot more debuffs on the target. I know there is no debuff limit any more but that doesn’t seem like the cleanest solution although it is all I could think of. I really think it does need to be fixed or re-designed (if not for 4.3 then for next expansion) because it becomes a problem for balancing Fire mage dps.

Mana Shield. Cone of Cold/Dragon’s Breath/Frost Armor/Ring of Frost (they are probably more for PVP though anyway). Slow Fall (why bother when you can just blink near the ground?).

A last comment regarding our 3 specs. One thing that I believe has been done very well with each tree is the flavor and playstyle for all of them. They all have a very different style and feel when playing them, which is awesome. What I think needs to be a little better is identifying what type of role you expect each spec to have and better balancing between them based on that. What I mean by “role” is what its strengths and weaknesses are. I don’t think that every spec has to, or even should, do everything well. Our trees and playstyles are already there to emphasize certain things more (Arcane for single-target dps, Fire for AoE and/or mobility) but the problem is when one spec doesn’t really have a strength (Frost at the moment; you could say PVP but I’m talking in strictly PVE terms here – its single target is theoretically good but hasn’t been shown to be achievable and its AoE is laughable although movement isn't that bad for it) or you have a tier that doesn’t need the strengths of a specific. My 2 cents.
PVP

BGs

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? Running low of mana before a healer can be killed in PVP. Nothing worse then a healer spaming heals on themself and still have 95% mana and im out of man as a frost mage. healers can run and run healing themselves to the point they wait for me to be out of mana so they can turn on the offensive with enough mana to take me out.

What makes playing your class more fun? Frost mage, being able to slow, freeze and have a pet/sheild up.

What makes playing your class less fun? Sheeping, rather freeze targets then sheep.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.) Feel fine as a pure frost mage.

What’s on your wish list for your class? Better man pool to deal with healers, or more interuptes to stop the healing spam.

What spells do you use the least? Fire spells.
■What type of content do you focus on? [Both]

■If PvE, what type of PvE?
[Raids]
25 man Heroic raids at that

■If PvP, what type of PvP?
[Arenas, BGs]

■What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
Would have to be broken mage tables or the fickleness of target reticles over terrain changes and definatly why do spells still have pushback seems abit archaic at this point doesnt it i mean evocate loosing ticks can just be devasting to an arcane dps rotation.
And why haven't all movement imparing slows in the game been normalized at this point? with all the melee gap closers in the game

■What makes playing your class more fun?
Duel Spec made this class alot more fun for me b/c now I only have to respec once a week instead of everyday I wanted to pvp which usually left me ignoring pvp on this character

■What makes playing your class less fun?
Feeling pigeoned holed into one spec using one spell tree, i used to enjoy some of the off the wall specs but understand why you removed them to a certain extent b/c they are hard to balance for (40/0/21 anybody)

■How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
This is where things get dicey for me.
Arcane-Concept is interesting but in practice very annoying b/c you are really set button mashing for long periods of time i think its very close to being complete though
Frost- Very fun pve rotation shame that b/c of the lack of aoe and the situational viableness of fire each tier i never get to roll with a pve frost spec
Fire- My personal love ever since I leveled my mage back in original wow. Although the rotation is essentially the same as is was since the 3.0 patch( ? ) you know when hot streak was introduced. The crit rates just arent here anymore to keep you busy even with the 4piece t12 on its very bland and has to many basically you need X to do Y but you should also have Z to be able to do any kind of decent damage with Y moments therefore leaving you not being able to use your 2 minute cooldown for upwards of 45+ seconds after its available now thats frustrating.

■What’s on your wish list for your class?
Living Bomb- Either bring back the bomb part or allow us to spread it with impact its not like theres not a presidence for a spell like that to be able to be spread constantly

In my humble opinion all 3 mage specs need a castable dot that takes the taltent specialization bonus from whatever tree you are in and that works very similar to the way that immolation works for warlocks or devoring plague works for spriests in that when you cast it it does a fair chunk of damage upfront and ticks for the rest of its damage over say 20-30 seconds so as to not really screw up the rest of the mage rotations but it definatly should have a 1.5 seconds base casttime so that it can be interuptable. This would help fire b/c fires mastery is dot related anyway and needs something else to do when procs arent procing. Help arcane b/c of giving it something else to do during regen and possibly even burn phases. And not overpower frost pvp much more b/c if its interupted it would lock us out of all 3 spell trees the way i envision it and/or could be dispelled

■What spells do you use the least?
Across all 3 specs id have to say Arcane barrage as it does crap for damage and only really usuable when moving during a regen phase b/c during a burn id rather just move slightly away from whatever bad thing was getting ready to incinerate me and continue my ab stacks

■What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

PvE mostly, just a little bit of PvP on the side

■If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Raiding

■If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

The only kind of PvP that interests me is something along the lines of Tol Barad, although TB is awful. Wintergrasp was the most fun I've had PvPing in this game.

■What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Reagents for portals and teleports and the bag space they take up, along with the bag space Mana Gems take up.

Playing anything but Arcane

Playing Arcane

■How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

Fire is fun, although I would like to be less reliant on RNG and procs.

Frost is fun.

Arcane is just horrid. It's so boring and it deserves every bit of criticism it gets. I understand this is personal preference, but I would prefer the other specs to be able to keep up with it in a raid so that I don't have to play it and complain about it.

All specs raid viable. I would also like there to be some interaction with other mages and specs. For example, if I'm in a raid with another mage or two, I'd like there to be a talent or spec that works together with a different mage's and we would compliment each other. As it is, it's just a cut-throat competition that breeds contempt. If the other mages in a raid could coordinate certain things and cause each other to be more powerful, it would no doubt lead to us encouraging the raid leader to bring along more. FM is a nice to step towards that, but it's only for one spec.

I cancelled my account so I can't log in the game to check. I cancelled the account, because the game isn't fun. I'm writing in response to this question before my time runs out in hopes of Blizzard actually taking some things into consideration. I want to play the game again, so I'll keep checking MMO-Champion and seeing what comes of this.
■What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

Mainly PvE

■If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Raids when possible, but I do a lot of solo questing and adventuring. Love the epic stories.

■If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

none

I think perhaps a Mana Gem should be a permanant item, instead of something you continue to make. Or perhaps instead Mages could have the ability to distribute them to the raid, much like Warlocks and their healthstones.

Any cool or interesting wizard like spells seem to make a Mage appealing to me.

We are quite squishy, and have no real way to recover like a lot of other classes (lack of shields and/or regenerative abilities) Evocation can heal you if you glyph into it, but you can get pushback when struck by enemies.

I think the Mage rotation is fine. Not too complicated, but not one button like in Wrath.

I would love to see an increase in how much damage Mana Sheild can take...four thousand damage was a lot to absorb in Wrath, but now, most enemies can hit for that or even more.

I don't find myself using Mage Ward that much. It was a good idea to condense Fire Ward and Frost Ward into that ability, but I still don't ever use it.

Overall, I'm very pleased with Mages at this point in the game; my only complaint would be the lack of survivability when soloing (at least as far as Arcane goes) as compared to other classes.

PVE

Raids

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
I Love the arcane mage rotation because even though people think it is simple, it actually takes skill to maintain dps after Cds are used.

I like how mages have different raid mechanic functionality like blink and ice block.

I,ve honestly have nothing to argue about arcane mages but in general I hate classes that their rotation depend a lot on random procs like ele shamans and ret pallys.

Rotation is fine, but i think that arcane should have some kind of dot. the "dot" ive been using is flame sphere and thats not really a dot.

a Dot for arcane and hello we are frost....water walking, also for long fights 3 charges of mana gem are not enough they need to be fixed!!!

frost bolt and fireball but those are not for my spec.

Mostly PvE, though I do splash some PvP in there.

Raids (currently Firelands). Heroics would be a bit more worthwhile if I didn't get as much of a benefit (valor points) from a single Firelands boss kill. A bigger Heroics reward would be appealing.

A few arenas, and some Rated BGs

Materials for things like the table, and a cooldown for the table. Accidentally moving and then having to wait 5 minutes to cast it again is kind've a pain, especially when we're the only class in the game with such a channeled ability.

Another minor issue is in mana gems, as having only 3 charges means, for some boss fights, either going without it or spending the time to make a new one only to bite into it a half-second later. This wouldn't be so bad if the gem didn't take a significant amount of time to make in the first place or have a part in DPS (with the talent).

The ability to move seamlessly between different single targets and AoE is pretty nice, and for me at least, seeing how the different specs have changed and how one has become more dominant is actually interesting (most of the time the change that buffs or nerfs a spec makes either that spec or another spec more fun).

Having to use spec-specific AoEs to be most effective (and, being arcane, I only have one AoE that pales in comparison to most others. I believe a bit more variety in AoEs would be nice).

How do you feel about your “rotation”?

Honestly, like most others, I'd like to see something besides the 2-button combo. Perhaps buffing arcane missiles and then having them charge-based would help. By this I mean, say your missiles fire for 2.5 seconds, and you get 5 of them. Normally a missile would be fired every 0.5 seconds, but what if you could moderate when the missiles go off at the cost of possibly wasting a missile (not getting the last one off in the 2.5 seconds before the channel ends) OR undercharging a missile and firing 5 weak ones that aren't nearly as efficient.

All that aside, when most players write off arcane as "too easy" and "2-button mashing", even if it isn't really the case (awareness, cooldowns, maximizing mana, etc.) people may resist playing a mage for a fear it's "too easy"

More arcane spells, of course, as well as more AoE options. I believe fire, with fireball, frostfire bolt, scorch, fire blast and pyroblast have a nice healthy mix, and frost gets frostbolt, frostfire bolt, ice lance and deep freeze as well as their cooldowns and control spells.

Another possibility for arcane would be to have arcane blast store energy which can be used to cast a single other spell at higher power. For example, ramping up arcane blasts to cast an empowered arcane barrage or missiles, instead of having the buff only work on itself and get wiped (without affecting) by the next-case arcane spell.

Arcane: Arcane Barrage, I almost always get away with waiting for arcane missiles.

Fire: Fire blast (unless I'm spreading dots), and either fireball/frostfire bolt (depending on which one is my main nuke, I ignore the other one entirely).

Frost: I honestly don't use frost much, but I use Ring of Frost for PvE to some effectiveness (if only to say HEY LOOK, ADDS), but some things (spiders in Beth'tilac anyone?) see better use. The only thing in frost I have trouble with is actually Cold Snap, since there's either a perfect time to use it (removing the CD on Ice Block comes to mind, or another Ring, Frost Nova or Elemental in an emergency), or it sits there staring at me, daring me to click it.
# What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

Both

# If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Raids

# If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

All

# What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Failing to complete the ritual of refreshment on accident puts it on cooldown, making it not usable for the desired purpose.

# What makes playing your class more fun?

Mages have many different spells and three highly different specs that take a high skill cap to completely maximize output and utility, and master. I like Frost's burst and level of control in PvP as well as Arcane's consistent damage output and on-demand burst in PvE.

# What makes playing your class less fun?

All three sprecs have horrible AoE abilities. For Arcane, arcane explosion does OK damage, but the threat of death from being in melee is dangerous. For Fire, the limit on the amount of Living Bombs that can be spread as well as the limit on how many targets they can explode on weakened Fire's AoE capabilities. In addition, Fire's AoE needs to wait for the explosion and the weak damage from Flamestrike does not compensate, even if it can be instant cast. For Frost, Blizzard does not do enough damage and costs way too much mana to even consider using.

Fire not being a viable spec in PvE or PvP even though it has a lot of potential to be great in both.
In PvE, it is too dependent on RNG to do consistent damage since the spec is entirely crit dependent for Ignite damage and Pyroblast procs, and without those, Fire's damage cooldown, Combustion, cannot always be used when desired (eg. procs line up, boss takes increased damage) to maximize output.
In PvP, it takes too long to ramp up damage and has no dispel protection. Both Fire's DoTs and procs can be dispelled without any sort of consequence. It is hard to set up shatter combos if the roots get dispelled or broken early. Due to needing two crits in a row to proc Pyroblast, the burst Fire can do is not on demand like Frost.

# How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

In PvE: Although I do enjoy Arcane's focus on mana mangement, its rotation needs something more than Arcane Blast and Arcane Missiles. It also suffers heavily on movement intensive fights. In addition, although Arcane does good damage, it has to take out 6 seconds every 2 minutes during a fight to evocate, during that time not doing any damage at all. Most classes, if not all, have some way of doing damage while not being able to attack the target themselves, except for Arcane. If Arcane had to manage some sort of DoT as well, it would solve both issues.

In PvP: Frost is very good as is.

# What’s on your wish list for your class?

More health, Blastwave being turned into an AoE fear instead of slow, Arcane getting a little more complicated rotation, Fire being viable again for PvE and PvP.

# What spells do you use the least?

Blizzard. I use all my other spells in the right context.
What type of content do you focus on? I play PvE almost exclusively occasionally doing PvP but mostly just for achievement points.
If PvE, what type of PvE? 25man Raiding and Herioc Raiding, and 5 mans to accumulate enough gear to start raiding. Always the newest content.
If PvP, what type of PvP? I dabble in Arena and BGs mostly, and for the most part only for the achievements or for conquest points to get the occasional PvP piece. but never for competitive matchmaking.
What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters. As a mage there are not many issues that I could think of that fall into this category. I would like there to be more to the wand other than just stats. I haven't used it since t5 and has always seemed like a wasted space. I do like however the continued use of Runes for portals and teleports. But maybe take away the reagent cost for a mage table. This would line up with other classes support abilities having cost no money. Of couse it's trivial the amount of money but it's still there. if you wanted it to be a money sink let it be a money sink and jack up the price of the reagent. Otherwise take it away.
What makes playing your class more fun? Honestly, blowing sh*t up. I like seeing huge numbers or a bunch of little numbers very quickly. The mobility is awesome as well. And although other classes have abilities that are similar or counters to Blink I still love it. My final thing is the differences between specs. This may be a annoyance sometimes, but the play styles are so unique to each class that it makes it a lot of fun to play.
What makes playing your class less fun? Having to choose only one spec to play unless it's for a gimmick fight. I love arcane but it's tedious and boring. Having to manage my mana pool is a unique challenge that I love to have but if I wanted to switch to fire or even frost I would like that choice. I understand why I can't though, and why it's so hard for you as developers to balance that. But if there was a way to isolate PvP and PvE in the game and allow for PvE balancing that wouldn't break PvP that of course would be ideal. There are components of frost for example that would make it great for raiding if it did just a little bit more damage, but that can't happen because then it would be so beast in PvP you would have to nerf it to the ground.
How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.) Well for arcane it's quite mundane. Stand and deliver SpellA until your mana reaches X% then start using SpellB after you have casted SpellA four times. Wait for evoc and rinse and repeat. Fire is a little bit more fun with DOT control management. But even then it's limited as fire is only competitive on certain fights.
What’s on your wish list for your class? Better use of the Wand, more options when it comes to what spec I play. A Dot for Arcane, animations that incorporate what weapons I have equipped.
What spells do you use the least? This question is a little tough. Since I don't play frost at all I could put that entire part of my spell book into this section. But from fire I would say scorch, and from arcane, Arcane Barrage.

• What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

• PvE

• If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

• Raids, Questing, Heriocs

• If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

• BG's only

• What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

• No longer Requiring reagents for tables would be a quality-of-life improvement
    No longer having a cooldown on table if its not put down would be a quality-of-life improvement
    No longer having to use reagents for portals would be a quality-of-life improvement
    A reagent that covers everything would a quality-of-life improvement

• What makes playing your class more fun?

• Scorch Spec! I love to move around and cast scorch all day. it would be a viable spec if we had the old improved scorch that increases just scorch crits chance i think it was 3% or 5%

• What makes playing your class less fun?

• Arcane mages, I used to love playing arcane in b/c with no arcane barrage and no missle barrage. that took skill to play back in b/c to play. now its just faceroll.
    No pom pyro spec
    we are the glass cannon class. Yet we have the same health as most other people. Nerf our health but buff our dps. You can't spell damage without mage
    Playing all 3 specs, getting pom, ice block and pyro was nice in b/c, but due to the new changes where you need to go down the whole talent tree mages are less fun cause its more focused on 1 type of tree. A perfect example would be having ice barrier and pyroblast or ice barrier and pom.

• How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

• Arcane is not fun. I have arcane blast bound to 3 keys and i just spam them for most effective cast cause of latency and lag.
    Frost i think is the most fun in pve right now cause it's all about reacting to your procs and being smart
    Fire i see it as a debuff watcher. I have the addon need to know and all i do while playing fire is watch those bars and make sure there up all the time.

• What’s on your wish list for your class?

• I really don't have a big wish beside the ones i stated in previouse answers

• What spells do you use the least?

• frost fire bolt
    Flame orb/frostfire orb
    cone of cold
    Portal to X (not orgrimmar)

->Both

->normal 10m raids, heroics, as Arcane

->all, as Fire

->Mirror images are controllable for frost mages but not for fire or arcane mages. It's really not fair. They break sheeps ALL the time, to the point where I'm thinking about unbinding the spell entirely. With them chaincasting frostbolts the chance of getting a sheep off between them is almost nil. In addition, they can be taunted by a resourceful player and there's nothing I can do about it.

->Living bomb puts us back in combat when it explodes--very annoying when you need to mount up or drink in BGs or arenas.

->Overall the cata changes to fire mages were good, and I'm having a lot of fun with the spec in pvp. Arcane mastery is pretty neat, although it doesn't seem to penalize me much when I mess up my mana.

->Fire having bad dps and combustion getting nerfed anyway. I'm hoping some compensation happens soon; in the mean time it's tough. Being constantly badgered to play frost in pvp. Arena rating sellers spamming all over the place... hunters eating me alive on ring of valor...

->Arcane is very basic, but I don't really mind. It lets me focus on leading the raid.

->Molten Fury and Pyromaniac are bad talents. Pyromaniac is almost impossible to get up against most arena comps and raid encounters. Molten Fury is bugged and doesn't even work for our DoTs. PVP fire mages are forced to get Fire power, which is clearly supposed to be a PVE talent, and adds another RNG way for sheeps to be broken (flame orb explosion). I suggest changing one or both of these talents, maybe to something involving fireball, which I feel should be a little more rewarding if you are able to cast it in pvp (and it would help single target PVE dps as well).

To sum up: molten fury and pyromaniac need changes, mirror images need to be controllable for all mages or no mages, living bomb explosion needs to not put us in combat, and damage needs some sort of increase.

molten armor.
- I mainly focus on PvE content.

-Heroics and Raids.

-Arenas (what little i do)

-No Problems here as far as i am concerned.

- I love mage because i love all the direct damage the class offers, i enjoy that alot more than DoT based classes and melee, i also enjoy all the self utility a mage has like iceblock (to get rid of that one super nasty debuff in a raid that happens every once and a while) and blink for the good mobility.

-I don't think i can answer this question without being biased, i love everything about mages, all 3 specs. That's the reason i play a mage.

-I feel the rotations are in a good place. Some people might say arcane is to "boring" or "easy" but it's no harder than the next person, it's just different (watching your mana instead of making sure you hit the right buttons/hit your procs ASAP).

- Nothing much, though more AoE damage for frost would be nice for raiding, since that's the only place it realy falls hard on.

-I use them all a fair amount, though i belive it would be nice for frostfire bolts DoT with the glyph to be a little stronger, ticking for ~350 with 3 stacks realy isn't anything good at all considering bosses have 32-70 million HP (on 10 man, and that dosn't include heroics).
What type of content do you focus on? PVE

If PvE, what type of PvE? Heroic Raids

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? Conjuring Mana Gem between every pull, Table going on CD when it fails

What makes playing your class more fun? blink, spellsteal

What makes playing your class less fun? With every major "balancing" patch I'm forced to respec to whatever does the most damage. The trees are never close enough to being balanced. Cataclysm was supposed to be when we got to play the trees we wanted and still be competitive. This could not be further from reality. The difference has to be VERY minor in order for this to be true.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? with low crit rating fire rotation is awful, arcane and frost always feel dynamic

- trees actually being tuned close enough to choose what I want to play
- Impact talent making Fire Blast ALWAYS spread your dots, not just when impact procs
- mana gem never being consumed

Frostbolt, Icelane, Blizzard, Frostfire Bolt