Why are people leaving WOW lately?

General Discussion
I have been reading some forum discussions on why there is a slight decrease in WOW players lately. I have read all the 'They nerfed this' and 'this and that was a bad idea' threads. I have discussed this with a number of people and want to shart my insights. Wow is getting old, and thus people can wear out on it, get tired of the same grind all the time. Blizzard has done a lot and continues to do a lot to keep the game fresh and exciting. They have a paradox on 'cross realm' party runs. On one hand they shortened ques, this was a great idea. less waiting, more diversity. On the other hand, you could not make permanant friends you met on these runs. Also, people who never had to see you again could be rude and it didn't matter (no bad rep). I met a lot of people in the old system on PUG's and some joined my guild and became great friends.
I propose blizzard allow (cross realm pugs ... for speed and diversity) and IN realm pugs for bonding and friendships. How many times have you PUG'ed with a great healer or tank and added them to your friends list.
It is people and thier relationships that will keep a lot of us playing wow.
All in all, great job Blizzard...

PS. I have 15 level 85's, some horde and some alliance on 3 realms and have been playing 5+ years.
Eh, it's a combination of things. Nothing specific, really. There's always a dip in subcribers after an expansion and this one has been more than previous, but some people are just bored. I have to say that the biggest problem would be the way Blizzard is trying to cater to everyone, and failing at doing so, therefore not catering to anyone.
Don't read too much into what people say.

People get bored or frustrated and decide that something obviously evil happened to the game and then they have to pop up on a soapbox and declare to the world that their reason is obviously the reason the game has gone into permanent decline and is beyond saving.

This has been happening since patch 1.1.

This year is really the first year Blizzard has released subscription numbers for us to follow with any regularity. We have no idea if the ebb is normal for an expansion or not. We have very, very limited data points because all that Blizzard released to us in the past were numbers that went up (and sometimes there were rather long periods between announcements where we swore on a stack of bibles that everyone had left the game).

Honestly, the game is what you make of it. Want interactions with other players? Talk to them. Want to see content? See what it takes to see the content and do it. Want oodles of gold? Take the time to do what it takes to make gold in the game.

If you're unhappy with anything, tell us about it. But don't make your problem the obvious reason why people are leaving. Because it isn't. It's you. Which is important. So let us know, folks. Some people will agree. Some will disagree. Which makes this a discussion board. Not a soapbox.
I have been reading some forum discussions on why there is a slight decrease in WOW players lately. I have read all the 'They nerfed this' and 'this and that was a bad idea' threads. I have discussed this with a number of people and want to shart my insights. Wow is getting old, and thus people can wear out on it, get tired of the same grind all the time. Blizzard has done a lot and continues to do a lot to keep the game fresh and exciting. They have a paradox on 'cross realm' party runs. On one hand they shortened ques, this was a great idea. less waiting, more diversity. On the other hand, you could not make permanant friends you met on these runs. Also, people who never had to see you again could be rude and it didn't matter (no bad rep). I met a lot of people in the old system on PUG's and some joined my guild and became great friends.
I propose blizzard allow (cross realm pugs ... for speed and diversity) and IN realm pugs for bonding and friendships. How many times have you PUG'ed with a great healer or tank and added them to your friends list.

PS. I have 15 level 85's, some horde and some alliance on 3 realms and have been playing 5+ years.

While I agree with some of your points, in particular, the rude folks in LFD, Blizzard HAS made strides in upping 'the accountability factor' as it were. The system now works in such a way that if at all possible, you are grouped in a prioritized fashion with people from your own realm first. If such a group isn't available, then it goes searching cross-realm.

I really appreciate the positive tone of your post. It's very well thought out (though I'd remove the bit about the number of toons and years played as it only invites flaming) and thought provoking which is never a bad thing, in my book.

/gnomefist to you Shobel
were they thinking it was to stale or just haters :P
Mark your calendars. The end is near. 2012 is the end of the World... of Warcraft.
There is always a summer dead zone from June to late September. That was true in Vanilla, BC, Wrath, and now Cata.

I'm not saying this is the entire reason, but you should take it into account.

I'm hoping...just hoping...that the raid finder they put in is realm specific. The reason I say this, like on Stag for instance- I don't know half the names that are in trade anymore so I don't know who the good players are and who the bad ones are- unless they've been on the server for a long, long time (and a lot of them went to Illdian). With the old way, we used to know this stuff. Mainly the community was closer together. (OP I probably know you on one of your other toons lol).

Now it's, get into a group, gogogogogo, no one talks and boom you're done. (Actually in the older heroics people seem to be a lot friendlier- sometimes you at least get a "Hi"). I think Bliz has started to somewhat try to fix this problem by giving you more of a likelihood of being group with people from your own realm- but we've become so used to players from other realms, we don't even notice it anymore.

Personally I think the LFG system itself needs to have a more increased chance of joining you with same realm folks first, then start looking on other realms.

(BTW, tell Xblade Twil said hiyas).
Crepe writes:

This year is really the first year Blizzard has released subscription numbers for us to follow with any regularity. We have no idea if the ebb is normal for an expansion or not. We have very, very limited data points because all that Blizzard released to us in the past were numbers that went up (and sometimes there were rather long periods between announcements where we swore on a stack of bibles that everyone had left the game).

Honestly, the game is what you make of it. Want interactions with other players? Talk to them. Want to see content? See what it takes to see the content and do it. Want oodles of gold? Take the time to do what it takes to make gold in the game.

If you're unhappy with anything, tell us about it. But don't make your problem the obvious reason why people are leaving. Because it isn't. It's you. Which is important. So let us know, folks. Some people will agree. Some will disagree. Which makes this a discussion board. Not a soapbox.

I think he is right on! This is a nice addition to my starting post. Thanks
People raid, clear, then let their sub lag because they aren't interested in anything else. They maybe pop back for new content patch releases, then drop again. They come back, with a new expac looming, and the cycle repeats.

Nothing new, never was - as others have stated.

Those who hang around are either raiding still, or leveling alts (like myself) soloing old content (also myself) or achievement hunting, etc etc. Also nothing new.

WoW isn't dying - I see roughly as many people on my server as their usually was after a release, and everything has been done to death already by the top % of players on the server. The rest of us are just killing time, cuz we're addicts lol, exploring and enjoying the game without rushing through.

Come 4.3 the pop will pick back up for awhile, then drop again.

I'd say the biggest deterant for me was (This is all in my opinion) how character progression was drawn out simply to make content last longer.

Frankly, the rate of advancement wasn't worth it. You recevied no benefit once you capped your "points". I have hobbies which are more fun, why waste my time / money on a game when I could enjoy other things more?

I've returned to the game to check it out again, I feel kinda neutral about it now. Really debateing if its worth it.
I'd say the biggest deterant for me was (This is all in my opinion) how character progression was drawn out simply to make content last longer.

Frankly, the rate of advancement wasn't worth it. You recevied no benefit once you capped your "points". I have hobbies which are more fun, why waste my time / money on a game when I could enjoy other things more?

I've returned to the game to check it out again, I feel kinda neutral about it now. Really debateing if its worth it.

If it weren't for this one and my guild, I probably might have taken a mini break for now.

My main for 4- almost 5 years- was a hunter. I don't mind focus, what I do mind is only having 3 buttons to push. It gets kind of- boring. Though I had fully planned on keeping Twil as my main this expac, it didn't work out that way. We lost people due to the Cata changes and I had to switch mains (we lost healers so me- having one- decided to fill in). I've been having a lot more fun with this toon than I did on the hunter this xpac. I get on the hunter these days, and it's just a great big giant sigh for me (it's mainly the having to spam cobra shot/steady shot (MM) gameplay).

Figure if I'm going to use casted things, I might as well hop on the healer.
This article (relax, link is to a cnn.com article) should have you asking yourself how a game has managed to stay at the top of the charts for such a long time, compared to the present trends outlined in the article. Seems to me they're doing a bunch of right to me.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/08/17/finishing.videogames.snow/index.html?iref=allsearch
My main for 4- almost 5 years- was a hunter. I don't mind focus, what I do mind is only having 3 buttons to push. It gets kind of- boring. Though I had fully planned on keeping Twil as my main this expac, it didn't work out that way. We lost people due to the Cata changes and I had to switch mains (we lost healers so me- having one- decided to fill in). I've been having a lot more fun with this toon than I did on the hunter this xpac. I get on the hunter these days, and it's just a great big giant sigh for me (it's mainly the having to spam cobra shot/steady shot (MM) gameplay).

I'd have to agree with you. Sometimes I wonder if my boredom with the game is class related; yet I'd like to play a tank. However my time investment into Cappn makes rerolling seem very unattractive.
I'm sorry, Crepe, I've had a lot of respect for you in the past, but what you are saying is incredibly ignorant. There are obvious, glaring reasons why this game is currently losing players.

Ignorant would be the wrong word here.

I'm basing my observation on pretty close to 7 years of watching the feedback on the forums here.

Know what? It really hasn't changed much. The community isn't all that different than what it has been for several years. We've had ninja declarations on the forums since day one. We've had people complain about chat channel trolls for pretty much that long as well. The more you focus on it, the more it will become more severe for you personally. My realm can't possibly be all that different from every realm out there, but overall it's pretty decent. I know a lot of people on the realm and they're mostly good people. I run into a few bad apples in randoms just like everyone else. I put them on ignore so I don't see them again. A lot of them--in just a month or so--drop off my list into being a character that no longer exists.

If you wish a community you like and are part of, you have to make the effort to get out there and be part of it. You also have to be better than the standard you wish to be around you. Because all relationships take work. And that's what we're after--a relationship with the community around us.
09/03/2011 07:17 AMPosted by Cappn

I'd have to agree with you. Sometimes I wonder if my boredom with the game is class related; yet I'd like to play a tank. However my time investment into Cappn makes rerolling seem very unattractive.

You'd be surprised. For a good 3 of those years, I didn't have 1 alt. It wasn't until LK came out that I started exploring the different classes- this ended up being the favorite of all my alts.

The hunter is the one with the most achievements (only about 5K or so but she has seen more). But all my toons combined I probably have about 9K achieve points lol (not sure how many of those are overlaps though).
09/03/2011 07:19 AMPosted by Maybeyourmom
This is why I rarely like your post... you're more interested in defending Blizzard than finding out the truth. Truth is secondary -- as indicated by your post.

I don't defend Blizzard anywhere in this thread. I point out larger pictures.

FYI, you're apparently of the impression I work for Blizzard. I don't.

I'm also not defensive anywhere in the post, because there's nothing to defend. It's simply a point of view. I might suggest that you're simply seeing a different color and attacking it because it's different. But that probably isn't really the issue here. Though it might be a source of the vehemence.

So rather than attack people, why not discuss the issue. Because that makes it a discussion. Personal attacks are rarely grounds for discussion.

My point of view is rarely focused on immediacies any more when approaching a thread like this. Because I've seen the same thing over and over. People are bored or frustrated and take out their frustration on the game itself rather than ask why they're bored or frustrated. Honestly while people claim the game has changed dramatically, there are people who also state the game is stale and unchanging. Why do you think that is? Personally, to me it's very much the same game I started at launch. Kill stuff, get loot, upgrade gear, go kill bigger stuff. I'm still pressing the same keybinds I did back then, they just might have different names attached to them because my spellbook changed.