WoW has been dying for seven years?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 17 Next
Since the second i got here a year ago... was a barrier to entry at first because the forums were rife with discontent...
The world is empty. There are less and less people in Org/SW.
My friends list is dead. My guild has people logging in less often if at all.
Subs are being lost in an amount large enough that Blizzard admits to it.
Servers are shrinking, some are darn near empty.

Yeah, WoW is fine.

M
09/13/2011 09:19 AMPosted by Merrywind
The world is empty. There are less and less people in Org/SW.

Don't worry. When 4.3 is released, Illidan will be crashing Kalimdor once again.
@Vreivai, I'll believe it if SWTOR actually does kill WoW. Given the poor track record of WoW killers predictions, I'm going to take your claims with a grain of salt and a wait and see approach. What's a "good" game to one person will suck in another person's eyes. Yes, my friend's claims were anecdotal and they weren't intended to be anything else.

While a lot of Bioware's games have a great deal of appeal to me, they have never been massively popular with other players. The games that they sell seem to be very PvP centric and that means it will have a somewhat limited market appeal to gamers and I say this as an avid PvPer. Most gamers are not as enthusiastic about PvP as I am. Speaking of my friend, he has never much liked PvP so I guess Star Wars would suck in his eyes if the other games that Bioware sells are any example. He won't be the only one either.
Much like corporations that cook their books to show they are doing better than their real profits would show... I would LOVE to see Blizzard publish on a regular monthly basis statistics on their player base.

Active subs
Cancelled subs
Banned accounts
How many active accounts have all expansions enabled?
Server populations with high and low concurrent players statistics.

It's a shame that stats like that aren't mandated by law as part of a transparency in business law. I suspect the reality of their statistics would show how badly the game is really doing.

Maybe Wikileaks needs to get someone on the inside to leak the real stats.
Lets not forget that of the 11.1 million active subs that only 18-22% of them are on North American servers now based on the various tracking sights. That would mean roughly 2.4 million active subs in North America. I think that's even less than Vanilla when BC was released.

11.1 million seems like nothing has changed and this game is as strong as ever, till you realize that over half of that is China's servers.
I really miss Dishonerable Kills :(
Wow was dying from the day it was released, because nothing lasts forvever.
Nice point Dracullord and I'm with Merrywind.

While op you're right that the "dying" is a pretty ridiculous statement, you can't attribute 600,000 in one fiscal quarter to bad accounts. A big part of the stability is the international growth as they get content after us in some cases.

Wow won't "die" for a long, long time. Just look at EverQuest! I was playing that 15 years ago and it's still got a following. Considering WoW is so much better, I wouldn't doubt that it will still be around another 15 years from now, most likely only dying when it's technology just won't fit with whatever modern tech is at that time.

That being said, I think there will be a "WoW Killer" in 2013 Q4 when Blizzard releases their next big MMO. Blizz is the best and the brightest in the business with a focus on quality and the customer that no one else can match. I can't wait to see what they bring us next!
Rofl you've made my day. :)
I remember when the forums were convinced that The Matrix Online was going to kill WoW. That was back so long ago that The Matrix was still a hot IP. Shortly afterwards, it was Guild Wars that was guild to kill WoW. You know - the first one.

In addition to the "WoW is dying" meme, the complaints about the WoW development team have also been floating around since day one. Shortly after release, back in 2004, complaints were rampant on the forums about how all the talent behind WoW left Blizzard during development, and how the game was finished/maintained by a clueless B-team. Things just never change here.
Blizzard: Attention every one! sorry it took so long, but we are proud to announce that atleast 85% of Specs will be viable in both PvE and PvP!
We have also tweaked the game and some of the hard modes so that both Hardcore players and casuals can have fun.
Hacking as been reduced by 90%, and Gold spammers have been shut down.

We have upped the frame rates, lowered system requirement, increased graphics, built a new engine, and players now have the ability to switch between a realistic look, or the cartoonish look so they can view their world as they like it.

In the process, we have:
Cured Cancer
Invented warpdrive
&
Made a better mouse trap.

Gigitygat lvl1: 1ST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shalebadon lvl90: Eh...
-----Bigbuddy lvl67: IKR? Just more crap! Maybe if Blizzard was not so focused on Titan!

Zulmibini lvl90: Proof WoW is dieing!
-----Joytrinket lvl87: Have you tried SW;ToR2 yet? It fixed all the bugs and unbalance fromt he 1st game!
09/13/2011 10:06 AMPosted by Klockor
Wow was dying from the day it was released, because nothing lasts forvever.
Even cold November rain.
Nice point Dracullord and I'm with Merrywind.

While op you're right that the "dying" is a pretty ridiculous statement, you can't attribute 600,000 in one fiscal quarter to bad accounts. A big part of the stability is the international growth as they get content after us in some cases.

Wow won't "die" for a long, long time. Just look at EverQuest! I was playing that 15 years ago and it's still got a following. Considering WoW is so much better, I wouldn't doubt that it will still be around another 15 years from now, most likely only dying when it's technology just won't fit with whatever modern tech is at that time.

That being said, I think there will be a "WoW Killer" in 2013 Q4 when Blizzard releases their next big MMO. Blizz is the best and the brightest in the business with a focus on quality and the customer that no one else can match. I can't wait to see what they bring us next!

That's true, not all the 600,000 subs were from the purge, a good chunk were from the news of the mass-nerfs heading out in patches and discontent people leaving, as well as oldbies who came back to see Azeroth re-formed and then leaving after they had their dose of nostalgia. (My mom and two of my sisters being part of those re-visitors.).

And I'm not denying that WoW will ever die, just the silliness of people constantly complaining or crying it's dead, or rapidly spiraling down. Even if WoW begins heading downhill the subs will take a damn long time to finally get to 'dead' numbers, and then servers will merge, it might end up becoming F2P.

And finally, it will be dead. But even then I'd assume Blizzard will keep servers up for people to play, and that won't be for a long. Long, long long time.

EDIT: @ SWTOR: That actually seems like a legit game that will tear away at least 500k - one million subscribers, my entire guild basically said they will be playing it. But they said they would -also- be playing WoW while they play it, I don't think it will be a WoW killer. But it will probably be the first real game to put a dent in the playerbase, at most.
Nope - WOW was growing for 6 years and has been dying for <1 year now.
Guild wars2 is going to kill wow D: oh noess what ever will we do when a big F2P games comes out.. wait wait wait I can play both!, but umm yeah that will kill wow /sarcasm

any new MMOs coming out will only give wow a run for its money.. thats about it.. and we just may get better things thanks to them ftw?

The only thing that will Kill wow is wow itself..
If wow ever dies...

LOL REINCARNATE.

HERE LET ME MASS REZZ 600K RIGHT NOW ;)
Pretty much.