A call to get Gilneas back.

Story Forum
Prev 1 2 3 4 8 Next
An as for the npc/quest givers?
That's such a preposterously sad reason to use against giving Gilneas back.

This entire thread is preposterous to begin with. Do you not think that with such similar cases as Echo Isles and Gnomergan (which should give you an idea about how much you can actually hope for) that Blizzard hasn't already decided what will be done with Gilneas?

Having Gilneas become an Alliance controlled zone is laughably absurd. Let alone a capital city, (once again, the gnomes and trolls "Took back" their homes as much as they ever will and they didn't get a capital city out of it). The closeness to the Undercity IS a legitimate concern. It would be as if the Horde took over half of, and then built a capital city, in Redridge.

The most you could reasonably hope for is a return their to continue the conflict. Mind you, its already technically in a state of perpetual conflict. It hasn't even been a YEAR and people already want major overhauls to the updated zones to wrap up the stories that for an MMO, will never truly be resolved.

Why so? Did you not even read my OP, let alone the entire thread? I don't want it back as a capital city but as a zone and quest hub for Alliance players. I don't really see how bad that is, and I've even suggest that Horde should get one as well from the return of Kezan and Lost Isles, coupled with my justifications for how that can be accomplished.

It would accomplish a lot in restoring the Worgen's identity because they don't have one that's as intrinsic as Goblins and it's apparent that they're not as expansionist as the other races, so I simply believe that in order to remedy this that we get them their home back and have it serve as a base of operations against the encroaching Forsaken. Heck I can't even find why Horde players would be against this because now they'll be much closer to Alliance skulls that they can crush. (Or get crushed by)

I'm not even demanding this happen in next patch, it can happen any time really. Just letting my voice be known that I would like to see a return for it, next expansion would be pushing it but I'd love to see it next expansion maybe since we're still in the dark about what exactly is going to center around the expansion.

09/18/2011 04:31 PMPosted by Heracolm
Oh? see how close that city is to UC. Come one you know some "macho man" from a pvp server with this lvl capped toon will waltz right into from Gilneas to silverpine an mash everyone in view or vice versa for the horde players, unless they introduce phasing into the area in some way it's just not gonna happen.

Silverpine isn't contested territory. You could argue Hillsbrad but high levels go there anyway to do the minigame there, so motivation is already there.
It's going to be interesting to see what they do with the holiday since, based upon the sound files and such, it would appear that it takes place in Gilneas. Yeah, I know it's a holiday and unfortunately it is proving that Blizzard has a plan for Gilneas, it's just not going to be a perment Alliance zone, rather a contested one that is going to sit empty except for around Halloween and as a instanced BG.

The problem, as it always has been, is that it's out of the way for Alliance players. If the Alliance was still questing in Hillsbrad, then Gilneas wouldn't be an issue. Players would go from Gilneas to Hillsbrad and then to WPL. Which if you think about it, would make more sense for the worgen since Blizzard set them up against the Forsaken, then sent them as far away as possible.

Unfortunately, the battle for Gilneas is the only storyline that the worgen have going for them. Outside of trying to retake Gilneas, what do the worgen have storywise?

Their morphing into night elves? We already have a faction of night elves, why do we need another?

You could make the case that Blizzard has been listening to the playerbase. The only problem is that it's outside the game, aside from the revamped Hallow's End.

Curse of the Worgen- Gives a much needed background to the whole starting zone rather than the "Night elves turned into worgen and escaped the Emerald Dream and made the night elves sad that they turned Gilneas into worgen."

Wolfheart- We finally get an explanation on why the worgen are such a nonfactor for the Alliance, and practically nonexistent outside the starting zone- they spend a majority of their time in the woods as worgen and shun civilization. So players aren't going to see them since they hide in the woods all of the time. And it explains why the worgen district was removed from SW. They wouldn't have spent any time there. The book even notes that the Howling Oak is empty since the worgen don't like it being in the city and spend their time in the woods. I guess this would also explain just how many Gilneans became worgen, practically the entire population.

The soluton for Gilneas is probably going to end up being phasing the entire zone. The question becomes what does that phasing involve? A true 1-20 zone? A daily hub?
09/18/2011 05:05 PMPosted by Dawnsrequiem
You could make the case that Blizzard has been listening to the playerbase. The only problem is that it's outside the game, aside from the revamped Hallow's End.

Pretty much, I think the problem is we DO have Gilneas it's just there's nothing to put it to use for which I think I addressed in my previous posts. It would make a great base for strategic plans as well as a nice port to Stormwind coupled with some daily quests to show its importance to the Alliance. (As well as restoring the Worgen identity that's so fragmented)
The problem, as it always has been, is that it's out of the way for Alliance players.

Not at all. Having Gilneas as a functioning Alliance zone with vendors, class trainers, etc, would be a great boon to leveling Alliance players. Arathi Highlands, Hinterlands, Western Plaguelands, and Eastern Plaguelands are leveling zones, after all. And it's horribly inconvenient questing there without having any nearby class trainers. I have to keep flying back to Ironforge to visit a class trainer every time I level, which is really time consuming. Having Gilneas as a functioning city would be great, as it'd be a time saver.

As for what it should be, personally I always thought that the unphased Ruins of Gilneas zone should be a 12-20 zone. Just put in quests to carry a player from level 12-20, vendors, class trainers, quest givers, NPC's, monsters, etc, and you're set. That's a far better alternative than shipping the Worgen off to Darkshore. And the great thing about that would be that Alliance players will be able to get quest lines which show them the opposite end of the Silverpine quests, and how the war between the Worgen and the Forsaken turned out, learn about what happened to Godefroy, and actually have some kind of clue about who the hell Ivar Bloodfang is and what his issues with Godefroy and Crowley are, because if you only leveled through the Worgen starting zone then you don't have the slightest clue who Ivar Bloodfang is and would be pretty surprised to learn that Godefroy came back as a Forsaken.

And people are seriously concerned about Alliance raids from Gilneas? We have 310% speed flying mounts, now. It takes about 5 minutes to fly from Stormwind to Undercity, and it's much quicker leaving from Ironforge, so that's hardly an issue.

Pretty much, I think the problem is we DO have Gilneas it's just there's nothing to put it to use for which I think I addressed in my previous posts. It would make a great base for strategic plans as well as a nice port to Stormwind coupled with some daily quests to show its importance to the Alliance. (As well as restoring the Worgen identity that's so fragmented)

While the Alliance "has" Gilneas, it's not not fully controlled. The Horde are still attacking and it's canon status remains in doubt.

I don't see any evidence that restoring Gilneas is going to restore the Gilnean identity with the worgen.

Here's the problem. It's true that their identity is fragemented. The EK worgen act differently then the Kalimdor worgen. While the Kalimdor worgen act like night elves, the Gilnean worgen act like normal humans not Gilnean.

Wolfheart, unfortunately fractures them even further and since it takes place shortly after the starting zone concludes we aren't sure how much of it explains the worgen.

Outside the game, the worgen act like animals with human minds. They spend a majority of their time in the woods hunting and do whatever else animals do. They don't like their human forms and prefer to be in worgen form at all times and only go human when they have to.

So it would follow that if Gilneas was restored, the cities would still be empty except for the few human survivors while the woods and outlying areas would be teaming with the worgen.

It would appear that the Gilnean personality has been completely overwritten by their feral side. It would explain why the worgen in game don't act like Gilneans.

If restoring Gilneas will bring back that Gilnean personality, I'm all for it. Unfortunately, Blizzard hasn't figured out that they keep rewriting the worgen depending on what enviroment that they are in- outside, or in game.

09/18/2011 05:54 PMPosted by Leonicus
The problem, as it always has been, is that it's out of the way for Alliance players.

Not at all. Having Gilneas as a functioning Alliance zone with vendors, class trainers, etc, would be a great boon to leveling Alliance players. Arathi Highlands, Hinterlands, Western Plaguelands, and Eastern Plaguelands are leveling zones, after all. And it's horribly inconvenient questing there without having any nearby class trainers. I have to keep flying back to Ironforge to visit a class trainer every time I level, which is really time consuming. Having Gilneas as a functioning city would be great, as it'd be a time saver.

There is just one problem, it is still out of the way and basically becomes another Shattrath. In order to get to it the lowbies would have to do a SFK run with the added bonus of high level Forsaken guards everywhere. Southshore itself was out of the way for Alliance before Cataclysm. How is making them run basically to SFK going to fix that? Besides the fact that the flight times would only be a little shorter. Create a portal just for that?

It would be much easier, and not out of the way for them to just add class trainers to Aerie Peak. It's much more central to the Alliance leveling experience and you don't have to worry about having to outrun Forsaken guards all of the time.

I know that Blizzard can't keep it's word, but they were pretty clear about the no more capitals, especially one that is as deep in Horde territory as you can get up there.
There is just one problem, it is still out of the way and basically becomes another Shattrath. In order to get to it the lowbies would have to do a SFK run with the added bonus of high level Forsaken guards everywhere. Southshore itself was out of the way for Alliance before Cataclysm. How is making them run basically to SFK going to fix that? Besides the fact that the flight times would only be a little shorter. Create a portal just for that?

Who needs a portal? Haven't you noticed that, as you level, some flight paths open up? Just automatically open up a FP to Gilneas once you're high enough level and that's it.

It would be much easier, and not out of the way for them to just add class trainers to Aerie Peak. It's much more central to the Alliance leveling experience and you don't have to worry about having to outrun Forsaken guards all of the time.

You're grossly overexaggerating the situation, as that's what FP's are for.

I know that Blizzard can't keep it's word, but they were pretty clear about the no more capitals, especially one that is as deep in Horde territory as you can get up there.

They did that because nobody goes to Exodar and Silvermoon, but nobody goes to Exodar for good reason. That's because A) The only way to get to Exodar is through a boat. You can't take a FP there, B) Darnassus and Undercity is right next to them, and C) Neither city is centrally located. They're both at the top end of their continents, further away from the questing zones than their neighboring capital cities. Exodar, for instance, would see a whole lot more people using it if it was closer to Un'goro Crater.

None of that would be true for Gilneas, as it's centrally located near several higher level Alliance quest zones with no other Alliance capital cities nearby. So yeah, it'd definitely be used, as it's well situated with no other nearby competition. Moreover, the "won't be used" argument in the case of Gilneas is a massive crock because it exists, and it's not being used at all! What makes more sense: Build a city but don't populate it so that nobody has any reason whatsoever to go there, or build a city with NPC's that people can use? How does the former make any more sense than the latter? What sense does it make to just leave it sitting there, empty, instead of sticking in some useful NPC's, vendors, and such?

Not to mention that it doesn't have to be a capital city. There's no need for it to have an auction house or a bank, for instance. It just has to be populated. And personally, I'd rather it serve as an 12-20 questing hub instead of a capital city, anyway.
Yeah, I'd be fine with Gilneas going to the Alliance as a full-fledged zone. Also, did the OP mention something about Gilneas being the first to contact the dwarves and gnomes, or did I misread that?
09/18/2011 06:30 PMPosted by Felya
Yeah, I'd be fine with Gilneas going to the Alliance as a full-fledged zone. Also, did the OP mention something about Gilneas being the first to contact the dwarves and gnomes, or did I misread that?

I did, I don't have a source on it but it is known that the Gilneans learned industry from the Dwarves and Gnomes before any other kingdom did.
[quote]

Who needs a portal? Haven't you noticed that, as you level, some flight paths open up? Just automatically open up a FP to Gilneas once you're high enough level and that's it.

You're grossly overexaggerating the situation, as that's what FP's are for.

They did that because nobody goes to Exodar and Silvermoon, but nobody goes to Exodar for good reason. That's because A) The only way to get to Exodar is through a boat. You can't take a FP there, B) Darnassus and Undercity is right next to them, and C) Neither city is centrally located. They're both at the top end of their continents, further away from the questing zones than their neighboring capital cities. Exodar, for instance, would see a whole lot more people using it if it was closer to Un'goro Crater.

None of that would be true for Gilneas, as it's centrally located near several higher level Alliance quest zones with no other Alliance capital cities nearby. So yeah, it'd definitely be used, as it's well situated with no other nearby competition. Moreover, the "won't be used" argument in the case of Gilneas is a massive crock because it exists, and it's not being used at all! What makes more sense: Build a city but don't populate it so that nobody has any reason whatsoever to go there, or build a city with NPC's that people can use? How does the former make any more sense than the latter? What sense does it make to just leave it sitting there, empty, instead of sticking in some useful NPC's, vendors, and such?

Not to mention that it doesn't have to be a capital city. There's no need for it to have an auction house or a bank, for instance. It just has to be populated. And personally, I'd rather it serve as an 12-20 questing hub instead of a capital city, anyway.

Have you looked at a map of the Eastern Kingdoms?

http://www.wowpedia.org/images/7/75/WorldMap-Azeroth.jpg

Alliance levels on the eastern half of the northern part. Gilneas is over on the western side, as far away as you can get from where the Alliance levels at. How can it be centrally located to the Alliance questing when it's as far away as you can get? Look at where Aerie Peak is at. It's directly in the middle of the Alliance questing experience. If nearby class trainers is what you desire then Aerie Peak is what you want, not Gilneas.

Gilneas would work so much better as a daily hub then a replacement for IF. The place is under attack by the Horde, it's the site of a BG. If Blizzard won't make it a real 1-20 zone, then having a daily hub where you fight for Gilneas and get worldwide buffs would be really cool. it would allow the players to experience the worgen story and take part in it.

And there is a FP to the Exodar, you take it from Rut'theran Village. So it's either boat or FP.

Exodar, like Silvermoon, only really exists for the 1-20 leveling experience since those zones are pretty much cut off from the rest of the game.

I'm not arguing that Gilneas shouldn't be used. I'm just pointing out that having it only exist as a place that only exists for leveling Alliance players for a short time really would be a disservice to it. I'd much rather have it be part of the story rather then a quick stop.

Does it need to be populated? Yes, but then again for a reason that makes sense in the Gilnean story. The problem is that we don't truly know the status of Gilneas and Gilneas City. The place was plagued by the Forsaken, then only the church area populated by the 7th Legion who end up getting killed by the Forsaken.

Crowley and his GLF and the 7th Legion fled back into Gilneas for parts unknown while Ivar took his pack and whoever else into Hillsbrad.

If they can advance the story and tie up the loose ends, I'm all for that. Just make it make sense for the story. If they are still fighting up by the wall and surrounding area, then having people wandering around the capital really doesn't make sense since the Horde could break through and kill them all. Maybe take them further south in the Blackwald or something.

09/18/2011 06:47 PMPosted by Grimtale

I did, I don't have a source on it but it is known that the Gilneans learned industry from the Dwarves and Gnomes before any other kingdom did.

Need to get a source on that.
Have you looked at a map of the Eastern Kingdoms?

http://www.wowpedia.org/images/7/75/WorldMap-Azeroth.jpg

Alliance levels on the eastern half of the northern part. Gilneas is over on the western side, as far away as you can get from where the Alliance levels at. How can it be centrally located to the Alliance questing when it's as far away as you can get?

"As far away as you can get"? In comparison to what, Ironforge? We're talking about 2 minutes of flying time.

Look at where Aerie Peak is at. It's directly in the middle of the Alliance questing experience. If nearby class trainers is what you desire then Aerie Peak is what you want, not Gilneas.

I want both. I want nearby class trainers AND for Gilneas to be put to use.

Gilneas would work so much better as a daily hub then a replacement for IF. The place is under attack by the Horde, it's the site of a BG.

So what if a BG occurs there? Arathi Basin is located in the Arathi Highlands, and yet Arathi Highlands is a questing zone, and not a hub for dailies. Warsong Gulch is located in Ashenvale, and yet Ashenvale is a questing zone and not a hub for dailies. Alterac Valley is located in Hillsbrad (Formerly Alterac Mountains), and yet it's a questing zone, and not a hub for dailies. Eye of the Storm is located in Netherstorm, and yet Netherstorm is a questing zone, and not a hub for dailies. So why should Gilneas be an exception just because it has a BG?

Likewise, how many Alliance zones are currently under attack by the Horde? Ashenvale is not only the site of a BG, but it's also perpetually under attack by the Horde. And yet it's still a questing site. Gilneas would hardly be an exception, there.

If Blizzard won't make it a real 1-20 zone, then having a daily hub where you fight for Gilneas and get worldwide buffs would be really cool. it would allow the players to experience the worgen story and take part in it.

Personally speaking, I'd prefer the 1-20 zone idea. Doing the same daily quests over and over again is hardly my idea of experiencing the Worgen story. Eight levels of Worgen quest lines and quest chains is a far better way of doing it.

And there is a FP to the Exodar, you take it from Rut'theran Village. So it's either boat or FP.

Nowadays. I haven't checked because, honestly, I have no reason at all to go to Exodar.

Exodar, like Silvermoon, only really exists for the 1-20 leveling experience since those zones are pretty much cut off from the rest of the game.

Point is, Blizzard cited those two cities as reasons why they don't want to introduce new capital cities, but those two cities are clearly oddballs in the places they're situated and how easy it is to get to them. Gilneas would obviously be a far different case.

I'm not arguing that Gilneas shouldn't be used. I'm just pointing out that having it only exist as a place that only exists for leveling Alliance players for a short time really would be a disservice to it. I'd much rather have it be part of the story rather then a quick stop.

On the contrary, making it a hub for dailies would be the real disservice. For one, making it a 12-20 zone would allow for far more quests. That's a whole lot more lore than what you can get through dailies. Secondly, it'd allow for the possibility of tying the Worgen leveling into the Undead leveling in Silverpine. It'd open the door to having the Worgen striking out against the Forsaken invading into Gilneas and into Silverpine. It'd give leveling Worgen the ability to find out what happened to Godfrey, meet Ivar Bloodfang, and become involved with Crowley's fight against Sylvanas. The goal here should be to give Worgen players more lore, and get them involved in the conclusion of their own story, which the Horde took from them, rather than uselessly shipping them off to Darkshore and making them wait until they hit Level 85 before they finally get some more lore.

Does it need to be populated? Yes, but then again for a reason that makes sense in the Gilnean story. The problem is that we don't truly know the status of Gilneas and Gilneas City. The place was plagued by the Forsaken, then only the church area populated by the 7th Legion who end up getting killed by the Forsaken.

The 7th Legion were killed? This is the first I've heard of it. Link, please?

Crowley and his GLF and the 7th Legion fled back into Gilneas for parts unknown while Ivar took his pack and whoever else into Hillsbrad.

Yep, but Crowley's still there. And what I'm suggesting is that the leveling Worgen player get to experience all the stuff that led up to the events which cause Crowley to retreat back into Gilneas.

If they can advance the story and tie up the loose ends, I'm all for that. Just make it make sense for the story. If they are still fighting up by the wall and surrounding area, then having people wandering around the capital really doesn't make sense since the Horde could break through and kill them all. Maybe take them further south in the Blackwald or something.

As it stands, from what I gather the Alliance currently control Gilneas. There's just nobody there ingame. So why not populate it? It wouldn't be the first time that an Alliance quest hub was set up near a warzone, after all. Nobody's saying that the NPC's have to be happy little children running through the streets. The quest givers and vendors could be 7th Legion, Gilnean Liberation Front, a couple of civilian holdouts who refuse to abandon their homes, etc. Being filled with NPC's doesn't mean it has to be filled with regular day-to-day town life. Once again, a lot of the arguments you're making against that idea just don't hold water as anyone could run off dozens of examples of the situations which you claim can't happen occuring elsewhere.
"As far away as you can get"? In comparison to what, Ironforge? We're talking about 2 minutes of flying time.

Aerie Peak

Versus having to fly 10-30 seconds to AP versus 2 minutes to Gilneas.

I want both. I want nearby class trainers AND for Gilneas to be put to use.

Huh? So you want Gilneas and Aerie Peak to serve the same purpose? So instead of being central and seconds at best from any FP in the actual Alliance leveling, it's much easier to add several minutes to fly over from the eastern half to western half just so we can have Gilneas serve a purpose?

So what if a BG occurs there? Arathi Basin is located in the Arathi Highlands, and yet Arathi Highlands is a questing zone, and not a hub for dailies. Warsong Gulch is located in Ashenvale, and yet Ashenvale is a questing zone and not a hub for dailies. Alterac Valley is located in Hillsbrad (Formerly Alterac Mountains), and yet it's a questing zone, and not a hub for dailies. Eye of the Storm is located in Netherstorm, and yet Netherstorm is a questing zone, and not a hub for dailies. So why should Gilneas be an exception just because it has a BG?

And how many of those zones are Alliance or Horde exclusive? The 1-20 exclusive. They are all contested zones. Which, if we follow your logic, then Gilneas wouldn't be an Alliance zone, but a contested zone. Look at the goblins, their "capital" is located in Azshara which is a green zone, non-contested.

Likewise, how many Alliance zones are currently under attack by the Horde? Ashenvale is not only the site of a BG, but it's also perpetually under attack by the Horde. And yet it's still a questing site. Gilneas would hardly be an exception, there.

1-20 questing yes, I don't see what the problem is there.

Personally speaking, I'd prefer the 1-20 zone idea. Doing the same daily quests over and over again is hardly my idea of experiencing the Worgen story. Eight levels of Worgen quest lines and quest chains is a far better way of doing it.

The problem would be how to end it, if you did a 1-20 zone. Clearly since there is a BG there that is titled "Battle FOR Gilneas" then the story would pretty much end the way we see it end now. The Gilneans leave swearing vengeance, until they hook up with the night elves and forget about Gilneas. The main difference, and unless Blizzard changes it's mind, is that the player would see that the Alliance "controls" Gilneas, but it's still a contested zone.

On the contrary, making it a hub for dailies would be the real disservice. For one, making it a 12-20 zone would allow for far more quests. That's a whole lot more lore than what you can get through dailies. Secondly, it'd allow for the possibility of tying the Worgen leveling into the Undead leveling in Silverpine. It'd open the door to having the Worgen striking out against the Forsaken invading into Gilneas and into Silverpine. It'd give leveling Worgen the ability to find out what happened to Godfrey, meet Ivar Bloodfang, and become involved with Crowley's fight against Sylvanas. The goal here should be to give Worgen players more lore, and get them involved in the conclusion of their own story, which the Horde took from them, rather than uselessly shipping them off to Darkshore and making them wait until they hit Level 85 before they finally get some more lore.

Why not both? Why must Gilneas and it's story end at level 20 and then only exist as a BG? Why can't the players have a return to Gilneas daily hub? Those are all good ideas, but we would have to fit it in the timeline so it makes sense since the Horde are there after the player leaves. And since Silverpine is heavily phased, it would depend on if they can have the Alliance phase in their as well without breaking the servers.

The 7th Legion were killed? This is the first I've heard of it. Link, please?

Not the entire 7th Legion, some were left behind and currently occupy Gilneas, as far as we know. There was three parts of the 7th Legion- the submarines guys, the spies in Pyrwood and the Legion Base camp. The Alliance had more reinforcements incoming after the players rescue Godfrey.

Go play through the Forsaken leveling experience in Gilneas. Here's the starting quest which shows the Horde players killing the 7th Legion in Gilneas City, including their commander, the 7th Legion in Silverpine, and their dwarven leader.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:To_Forsaken_Forward_Command

Yep, but Crowley's still there. And what I'm suggesting is that the leveling Worgen player get to experience all the stuff that led up to the events which cause Crowley to retreat back into Gilneas.

Honestly, we don't know if he is there or not. The last that we see are them retreating and then they disappear from the game. Ivar Bloodfang and his pack shows up in Hillsbrad, but Crowley and his gang disappear into a giant hole. Having a 1-20 zone which explains where he went and what they are up would be much preferred.

And I'm not understanding what the problem is. I support the idea of having Gilneas being a full 1-20 zone instead of a 1-13 and then a 15-20 Horde leveling zone. Either have that or have a daily hubs to give people a reason to go back there. The only thing that we seem to be disagreeing on is having Gilneas become a "mini-capital city" just so players aren't having to fly down to IF. I would prefer Gilneas to be used as either a 1-20 zone and have just AP be the central hub due to it's central location and being just seconds away from any of the EK FP. If IF the worgen actually took notice of the Horde in that part of the Alliance questing, then having Gilneas act as part of that storyline would make more sense. The problem is that the worgen you meet during those leveling zones are nuetrals and want to work with the Horde as much as the Alliance.
For now, Gilneas is under Forsaken control.

Honestly, if the Forsaken had thought this out a bit more, and offered aid to the Gilneans instead, and used them as new allies, Worgen have every reason to join the Horde.

And of course, due to their utter loss and disgrace, Gilneas is dead. Long live the Worgen.
09/18/2011 09:05 PMPosted by Gutrage
For now, Gilneas is under Forsaken control.

It's not actually, Silverpine ended in Darius having to make a sadistic choice between Silverpine and his own daughter. While Silverpine was lost, Gilneas is still in the hands of the Worgen and it will likely be used for Hallow's End as well as being used for a possible base of operations.

That and it's also where Crowley runs back to after the choice was made.
Have the Worgen win back Gilneas permanently, let Silverpine be contested (but phase it so that leveling players can't be seen by the other side), and invent a new questing path for the Worgen going from Gilneas to Silverpine to Hillsbrad to Arathi, then paralleling the Dwarves and Gnomes.
Resettle Kezan.
Blow the roof off of Gnomeregan and have it be a city.
Build a respectable city on the Echo Isles.

that defeats the purpose of kicking the alliance out of hillsbrad though. the zones where divided up to make the total number of dominated zones more equal. the alliance had more "allliance" zones so alterac was merged with hillsbrad and the alliance where kicked out while the barrens was split and several other zones had major changes. putting the alliance in silverpine or hillsbrad makes all the work to alter the zones pointless.

then giving the alliance more and only adding kezan to the horde would further mess things up.

the alliance had more stuff, so some had to be taken/given to the horde to make the 2 equal factions equal. short of just adding more land mass for the horde to have that was the only solution.
I'm sure I've posted this in another Gilneas thread, but what the hell, I'm bored.

Having Kezan back would be boring as hell for the Horde, so turn Gilneas into a level 90 PvP daily zone, with interactive front lines and the like. Have one half of the city be for the Horde, the other half for the Alliance. There are already a bunch of landmarks that could be made into objectives (taking the area gives you a buff, increases your faction's influence in the area), just add a couple more (plague pits, 7th legion mobile outposts, etc.), change the land a bit and voila, a decent useful zone.

Having it be a low-levelled questing zone that barely anyone does with a capital city that nobody visits would be a waste.
Have the Worgen win back Gilneas permanently, let Silverpine be contested (but phase it so that leveling players can't be seen by the other side), and invent a new questing path for the Worgen going from Gilneas to Silverpine to Hillsbrad to Arathi, then paralleling the Dwarves and Gnomes.
Resettle Kezan.
Blow the roof off of Gnomeregan and have it be a city.
Build a respectable city on the Echo Isles.

that defeats the purpose of kicking the alliance out of hillsbrad though. the zones where divided up to make the total number of dominated zones more equal. the alliance had more "allliance" zones so alterac was merged with hillsbrad and the alliance where kicked out while the barrens was split and several other zones had major changes. putting the alliance in silverpine or hillsbrad makes all the work to alter the zones pointless.

then giving the alliance more and only adding kezan to the horde would further mess things up.

the alliance had more stuff, so some had to be taken/given to the horde to make the 2 equal factions equal. short of just adding more land mass for the horde to have that was the only solution.

I'd like to actually see a chart that measures up this zone imbalance you keep ringing about and I still think if the Horde got Kezan/Lost Isles back it would help balance take place again.