A call to get Gilneas back.

Story Forum
Prev 1 6 7 8 Next
Since Blizzard is trying to get back World PVP, putting a Alliance city so close to a Horde city might work. Weekly Quests or bonuses for raiding Greymane/Sylvanas?
Well it was only a matter of time before my old thread got necro'd.

12/23/2011 07:32 PMPosted by Halzaron
I'd rather see the Alliance get Stromgarde and Alterac than Gilneas.

Ew, Alterac? The traitor kingdom? No, I'd rather have them turned over the Forsaken. Plus Gilneas is much more interesting, and isn't a shell of its former self like Alterac and Lordaeron is.
Gilneas is a symbol of nigh-complete failure: the kingdom would have been obliterated thanks to its isolationism if the night elves and by extension Alliance hadn't charitably pulled its rear end out of the fire despite Gilneas barely ever doing anything for them. The worgen need to start fresh and build a new identity.
Greymane-ily doo, where are you?
We got some work to do now.
12/23/2011 07:48 PMPosted by Nazathör
Gilneas is a symbol of nigh-complete failure: the kingdom would have been obliterated thanks to its isolationism if the night elves and by extension Alliance hadn't charitably pulled its rear end out of the fire despite Gilneas barely ever doing anything for them. The worgen need to start fresh and build a new identity.

If that is the case, then it would need to retain the name Gilneas because that's the faction name of playable Worgen. I don't want to derail this too much, but you have the Forsaken to thank for the rest of your post. And isolationism kept them from becoming Scourge, that's a fact.

Worgen and Gnomes are pretty much the only playable races with a faction name specifically tied to a kingdom they no longer have access to.
Isolationism kept them from becoming Scourge, that's a fact.

I don't know. The Scourge didn't move too much beyond the Plaguelands, though they might have done so if not for the Forsaken. Hillsbrad is just as far away from Scourge territory as Gilneas, and the Scourge never even touched it.
12/23/2011 08:01 PMPosted by Nazathör
I don't know.

Exactly, you don't know. And to refute the rest of your claim the Scourge DID make attempts at sacking Gilneas but they were barred by both the wall and Worgen summoned by the Archmage Arugal.
Odd. Perhaps the terrain differences. Oh well. Their isolationism may have helped for one threat, but nearly doomed it for the second.
12/23/2011 08:05 PMPosted by Nazathör
Odd. Perhaps the terrain differences. Oh well. Their isolationism may have helped for one threat, but nearly doomed it for the second.
Actually, Gilneas was all but impregnable. If not for the Shattering that split the Greymane Wall and destroyed the great, jagged rocks that surrounded its coast, the Forsaken and the Horde itself wouldn't have been able to invade Gilneas with anything but their airships.
It makes me wonder why the Gilneans couldn't have offered the Alliance better defensive forts since they innovated such an exceptional creation as the Wall. The Gilneans giving the Alliance better shock troops, guerilla soldiers, and massive bulwarks would have actually been something of great use if it was fleshed out more.
12/24/2011 08:30 PMPosted by Donahue
It makes me wonder why the Gilneans couldn't have offered the Alliance better defensive forts since they innovated such an exceptional creation as the Wall. The Gilneans giving the Alliance better shock troops, guerilla soldiers, and massive bulwarks would have actually been something of great use if it was fleshed out more.

it took the gilneans years to build that wall, and stormwind kind of burned the independant contractor bridge a few years ago with the whole defias event. i always thought that the half finished stone work alliance bases stemmed from no building crew wanting to work for stormwind/alliance based on past actions.
12/24/2011 09:24 PMPosted by Juibloc

it took the gilneans years to build that wall, and stormwind kind of burned the independant contractor bridge a few years ago with the whole defias event. i always thought that the half finished stone work alliance bases stemmed from no building crew wanting to work for stormwind/alliance based on past actions.

I don't think it took years to build, unless you have a good source. Pretty much all it said was that it was built after the Second War to isolate the Gilneans from the rest of the Alliance.
i think it took a good amount of time. they had to design the wall, get the mats, then put it together while the stone masons were working on stormwind. i dont think the wall went up in a weekend. the logistics of it just scream a long build, plus it was government funded so you know the workers took their time.
We're losing Theramore so we might as well get Gilneas back. It's the only right thing to do.

Let the Alliance gain a stronger foothold in Azeroth to count the Hordes grip on Kalimdor. Besides, the Alliance has the best Navy.

The Best.
Blizzard has, unfortunately, declared it will not be touching Gilneas again. The Old World is going to be inevitably treated like Last-Expansion content. Cataclysm wasn't a finished, polished product to start with and they admit this. Rather than "waste time" fixing and resolving everything in the Non-80-85 zones they're just going to move on to Pandaria and keep working on MoP. I can safely say this is fact, and unfortunately entire Worgen/Gilnean guilds disbanded and gave up, consenting even to the point of disbanding and reforming as Pandaren guilds because it seemed inevitable that worgen would receive the draenei treatment (no offense to our blue space-goat friends).

HOWEVER, myself and several others on the Moon Guard are starting up a massive, months-long RP campaign involving the re-awakening of Gilnean culture and the re-settlement of Gilneas. Not so much Kingdom RP; more RP-PvP mixed in with trying to re-build and re-settle in Gilneas. As far as we can tell in lore, since Hiram's death most of the fighting has moved out of Gilneas and the Alliance has successfully pushed the Horde out of Gilneas altogether. Most of the fighting is going on at the coastline on the border between Gilneas and Silverpine; hence the Battle for Gilneas Battleground. Several Blizzard Lore GMs have also confirmed to me that Blizzard does allow a more liberal interpretation of lore on issues they don't explicitly write about or speak on. I'm not saying butcher and forget the lore altogether but rather a large-scale RP-movement to re-settle Gilneas isn't such a far-fetched thing. We'll be returning as settlers long before we become conquerors and we won't be just re-taking the whole country overnight; where's the fun in that?

In response to the OP, I offer this. If anyone's interested in taking part in this large-scale RP campaign, please send an OOC letter to myself on Moon Guard so we can get a tally. Not to highjack a thread for advertisement, but I feel this might be a way for everyone to get their Gilnean on and have fun doing it.
12/25/2011 09:27 AMPosted by Halzaron
Alterac can barely even be called a kingdom. It's just a small zone. The reason I'd like to see it in the Alliance's hands is not because of historic reasons, or what have you, it's because it would be an amazing fortified base of operations. Seriously. Look at it from a strategic standpoint, I don't know why the Forsaken have not grasped it yet, they are quite stupid.

They've got no one to use it against. Andorhal has better supply lines from Tirisfal, and Hiri'watha is closer to Tarren Mill. I suspect the Alliance would be aiming to claim Alterac if they won in Andorhal, but they lost.