why cant we transmog legendarys?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 26 Next
I guarantee you that 90% of raiders who earned their legendary while content was relevant agree with Blizzard in this case. Legendaries are special, I don't want to see 10 thunderfury's a day, i want to see some guy take out his thunderfury in org and go wow thats such a cool weapon.

It loses its effect when it becomes a daily occurrence, this is what happened to epics seeming epic, don't let it happen to legendaries.
What is wrong with you people?

If you ALREADY have a legendary then putting a restriction on transmoging it for YOURSELF makes no sense whatsoever. It does not matter whatsoever that the item is legendary or a level 1, the point is that you OWN the item hence you can simply already equip it anytime you want.

You CAN wield it anywhere so the excuse that it would make legendaries common is a ridiculous argument. The only thing that this does is limit you use of your OWN item in Bgs or raids...all other times you can simply equip the item.

The restriction is another example of what is called: managing for the exception
Yay, King Arthur finally managed to pull Excalibur from the stone, but now he has to discard it and pick up a green item that looks like a frying pan b/c we are in the next chapter of the book. So much for epic journey.

Honestly legendaries should have been naturally scaled to begin with, and Transmog seems to be a perfect system for keeping a legendary item equiped. Why should some green item in the next expansion have more stats than a supposedly legendary item that took many many trips to a raid to obtain?

Just make the legendary unable to obtain when the expansion is finished. That way not 'everyone' will have one and they won't be 'everywhere'. People who get them can show off that they did it when it was hard or just enjoy them as long as they like. Everyone who has one isn't going to Transmog it anyway, so let that subset of people enjoy the spoils of their victory.
Thunderfury is NOT legendary anymore. It simply is a low level item with orange text and level 60 stats with low drop rates just like most legendaries.

Atiesh is legendary because it can not be obtained anymore but in terms of stats is worst than a pony keg at level 85.

Any item that is not obtainable should be considered a legendary item especially if its stats are crap and there is no benefit to equip the item anymore.

legendary should really mean WOAAAA factor and rare factor combined with usable stats. Instead its legendary qualifier only applies to the current staff and the next dagger...all others are obsolete. Obsolete items are not what I consider legendary. They may have orange text but that is just a small vanity plus on something as useful as a level 1 white.

and that comes from someone with an Atiesh which to me is utterly useless at level 85 besides for playing pranks on raid groups after a run. The definition of legendary is long gone, its just items with orange text and nothing else.

The restrictions on transmog are just silly. If you own the item you should be able to transmog it. Putting arbitrary restrictions on items you already own is just that: arbitrary restrictions. It won t change the number of legendaries you see around.
09/29/2011 01:46 PMPosted by Neverdied
If you own the item you should be able to transmog it.
That'd be nice, buy YOU don't own the item at all.

From ToU, under category "Ownership":
C.Virtual Items.
Blizzard owns, has licensed, or otherwise has rights to all of the content that appears in the Service or the Games. You agree that you have no right or title in or to any such content, including without limitation the virtual goods or currency appearing or originating in any Game, or any other attributes associated with the Account or stored on the Service. Blizzard does not recognize any purported transfers of virtual property executed outside of a Game, or the purported sale, gift or trade in the "real world" of anything that appears or originates in a Game, unless otherwise expressly authorized by Blizzard in writing. Accordingly, you may not sell in-game items or currency for "real" money, or exchange those items or currency for value outside of a Game, without Blizzard's written permission.
Obsure point being made - on to the real point of my post.

Blizzard said they don't want the "legendary" feel to be taken away from these items.
09/29/2011 01:46 PMPosted by Neverdied
The restrictions on transmog are just silly
09/29/2011 12:37 PMPosted by Masshorn
It's ridiculous. There isn't really a good reason.

Whether you agree or think their reasoning is silly, doesn't matter. It's Blizzards call to make since it's their game and their items.

Also, all of you that are so upset by this rule seem to forget one VERY important part of the statement made on the "Transmogrification Rules" post -
09/19/2011 05:50 PMPosted by Kaivax
This is a set of rules that we expect to change over time, and is not intended to be 100% comprehensive, but we hope that it can be referenced to answer most questions that players currently have about what they can and cannot expect to be able to do with transmogrification.
So try to relax, let the system come out and hope for a change down the road.
It might change, but I think they want to preserve the "Legendary" aspect of the weapons.
I see no reason you shouldn't be able to transmogrify legendaries that you own. If you've done the work and gained the item it should be just like any purple, blue, or green you did the work for and gained.

Some people have chalked it up to the fact you can still get them after it's trivialized content. I'm one of the people who got it an expansion late because I've played a tank since BC, thus never was allowed to get an on-level legendary as it would always be off-spec. But you can bet it was a pain in the !@# to organize my own ICC 25 runs for months to get my Shadowmourne or run MC for a year to get my bindings.

Considering most of the people I know who got legendaries put in less work than those who went back to get them (They would get them because they were in raid/top of DKP/whatever) while those who went back to get them had to organize their own runs or farm their own drops I'd ahve to say the people who went back when the content was "trivilazed," on average, worked harder for it.

Bottom line, though, is most of the people who have a legendary worked for them in one way or another and earned the item, why can't they use them?
As of now on the PTR you actually can transmog legendaries, so there is a chance transmog could hit live with legendaries as an option.
The current philosophy is that we want legendaries to remain quite rare on each realm. You don't see that many people running around wielding old legendary items with outdated stats -- it's a prestige/flavor thing. That said, a lot of the old legendary weapons still exist in the game, and the challenge to obtain them today is greatly trivialized. But if people want to go back and get them for nostalgic reasons, that's cool. Again, it'd be for prestige, fun, and flavor, but not a feasible decision for obtaining a new combat look.

What's not cool, at least in our minds, is watching people go back in droves to trivialize old content for legendary-quality items so they can replace their current weapon look with one that's supposed to be incredibly rare.

Under the Transmogrification system we're adding in patch 4.3, we really only see two options for legendary items: A) we keep them out of the system so they don't flood the realms and lose uniqueness; or B) we remove every legendary item from the game as soon as the originally intended challenges of obtaining them are trivialized.

I'm sure plenty of people would go with the latter option, but for now we see option A as less cause for frustration on the part of the playerbase at-large.

09/26/2011 12:38 AMPosted by Gargarensis
i have sulfuras and thunderfury and they were a pain to make so why cant i use it? letting every other wep that takes very little skill to get be usable over having farm mc for months for one half of thunderfury to drop, and 10 blood of the mountains and sulfurian ignots which have a LOWWWWWW drop rate. what is the legit reason.
Because
Their stated reason is "they want legendaries to be recognizable on sight" meaning, if you see a thunderfury.......thats an actual thunderfury in their hand. But its a stupid reason. Cause nobody totes around old legendaries for anything but lolz or to show off.

They have no uniqueness, since more than one person can have them per server anyway. And they already rot in banks 99.9% of the time. And as if things are unique anyway, I see tons of people toteing around the same weapons all the time.
The current philosophy is that we want legendaries to remain quite rare on each realm. You don't see that many people running around wielding old legendary items with outdated stats -- it's a prestige/flavor thing. That said, a lot of the old legendary weapons still exist in the game, and the challenge to obtain them today is greatly trivialized. But if people want to go back and get them for nostalgic reasons, that's cool. Again, it'd be for prestige, fun, and flavor, but not a feasible decision for obtaining a new combat look.

What's not cool, at least in our minds, is watching people go back in droves to trivialize old content for legendary-quality items so they can replace their current weapon look with one that's supposed to be incredibly rare.

Under the Transmogrification system we're adding in patch 4.3, we really only see two options for legendary items: A) we keep them out of the system so they don't flood the realms and lose uniqueness; or B) we remove every legendary item from the game as soon as the originally intended challenges of obtaining them is trivialized.

I'm sure plenty of people would go with the latter option, but for now we see option A as less cause for frustration on the part of the playerbase at-large.

Boom. Roasted.

See you at Blizzcon, Zarhym!

Under the Transmogrification system we're adding in patch 4.3, we really only see two options for legendary items: A) we keep them out of the system so they don't flood the realms and lose uniqueness; or B) we remove every legendary item from the game as soon as the originally intended challenges of obtaining them is trivialized.

i have sulfuras and thunderfury and they were a pain to make so why cant i use it? letting every other wep that takes very little skill to get be usable over having farm mc for months for one half of thunderfury to drop, and 10 blood of the mountains and sulfurian ignots which have a LOWWWWWW drop rate. what is the legit reason.

So basically what you're saying is that because Blizz thinks it looks neat they don't want everyone to have it? Legendaries aren't supposed to be a model everyone can have?

So, uh, why'd you reuse Sulfuras?

In this case, could we at least see some alternate version of the Glaive-like Weapons come into the game?

I really want thos weapons 8(
09/29/2011 02:33 PMPosted by Faid
So, uh, why'd you reuse Sulfuras?

The same reason they said didn't want a legendary to be a niche item, then make the first class specific legendary.

In the very same post (i believe).

i agree. every other person would transmog to thunderfury if they could, and it would be boring. but still let people get old oranges for fun if they want
i agree. every other person would transmog to thunderfury if they could, and it would be boring. but still let people get old oranges for fun if they want

So, its better that nobody uses the thunderfuy model, and it sits in people banks? To keep the thunderfury in style, they ensure nobody uses it. wat?

Why do people think the sky will fall even if suddenly everyone and their brother is using the thunderfury model? This aside from the fact that the ratio of people who have a thunderfury vs the number of people who DONT is very very large. And is not as common as people make it out to be. Not everyone who says "did someone say thunderfury?" actually has one.

Things go out of style all the time. I remember when the sandstone drake was everywhere, now I rarely see one. But I know people who still ride certain mounts despite them being old and easily obtainable. I ride my 3 hippogryphs for flying and my white hawkstrider all the time, why? Because I like they way they look.