Quick Reference: Pointers for Healing Priests

Priest
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 Next
10/18/2011 12:44 PMPosted by Ashleycakez
Inner Will trumps Inner Fire in terms of mana conservation from casting PW: Shield, especially in an environment where you are casting it on multiple targets.

Perhaps. I re-read the EJ forums, and it's apparently additive with mental agility, for a 25% reduction. Personally though, i dont find many situations where i throw out lots of PW:Ss, but then that's subjective.

In addition, if you intend to mention stat priority at all, Disc can actually get away with choosing int > spirit in a number of cases, as our regen is primarily based on % of max mana.

10/18/2011 12:44 PMPosted by Ashleycakez
(maybe one day we'll have an updated guide there)

And what a glorious day that shall be.
10/18/2011 12:56 PMPosted by Popesicle
Personally though, i dont find many situations where i throw out lots of PW:Ss, but then that's subjective.

I'm trying to develop good habits for players who are going into content undergeared and need to make the most out of their mana. Thus, Inner Will is the best choice for Discipline. Why wouldn't you want to lower the cost of your PW: Shield which is the means of getting Rapture procs? It costs a decent chunk of mana for low level Priests and Priests who just hit 85, and Rapture gains are very small at these levels. You really need all the help you can get.

If you are grossly overgearing content, like full Heroic T12 doing BoT on normal, then Inner Fire is acceptable. When you need to manage Rapture procs for the most mana gained on content at your gear level or content you are undergeared for, then Inner Will wins.

10/18/2011 12:56 PMPosted by Popesicle
In addition, if you intend to mention stat priority at all, Disc can actually get away with choosing int > spirit in a number of cases, as our regen is primarily based on % of max mana.

No, this is not a guide on how to gear, spec, gem or reforge a Priest. I have no intention of stepping on anyone's toes who already have guides up on this forum, be they stickied or unstickied.

09/23/2011 09:54 AMPosted by Ashleycakez
If you are looking for more in-depth information on stats and talents please check the Disc and Holy stickies on this forum!

^ First line of the post. >_>
10/18/2011 01:04 PMPosted by Ashleycakez
Why wouldn't you want to lower the cost of your PW: Shield which is the means of getting Rapture procs?

My main concern with it is that it's effect is so limited. Despite appearances, Disc still has very few instant-cast spells, if you aren't counting channeled ones, and the mana reduction at 85 is still only a few hundred mana per cast. Also consider that rapture's ICD is going to ensure that rapid PW:S-ing teammates still is a net loss, particularly if they aren't taking enough damage to break it.

Comparatively, inner fire's going to add (by my rough math, based on my toon's SP) about 5-12% additional spellpower for all healing spells cast, which synergises nicely with DA, but not enormously. Again, i run with it mostly because it applies to so many more of my tools than IW does.

10/18/2011 01:04 PMPosted by Ashleycakez
^ First line of the post. >_>

My bad, reading retention's never been my strong point.
10/18/2011 01:27 PMPosted by Popesicle
Again, i run with it mostly because it applies to so many more of my tools than IW does.

Of course IF applies to everything. Even so, more Disc Priests will run with Inner Will for content that is on their level, especially when min/maxing for raiding. Inner Will wins out. You will save a great chunk of mana using IW and this mana saved (and used for additional heals) is greater than the slight sp increase.

Now if IF were an Intellect buff, this would be an entirely different story. But its not. Boo.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3229034455 This topic discusses it and includes the opinions of Priests who are a lot more math oriented than I am and more progressed. They essentially say the same thing. Use Inner Fire when the content is trival (or possibly at your level if you feel comfortable) and Inner Will when the content is at your level or higher than your level.
Thanks for this post.
09/22/2011 03:24 PMPosted by Subrosian
It's bad because you could use Inner Will and reforge Spirit -> Other stats and get more of a healing boost than the 500sp would provide you.

Arguably the best point i gathered from that thread. Hadn't really considered reforging spirit, and having considered it now, it actually does make a lot of sense for my play style.
Carry on sir, as i have been sufficiently corrected.
10/18/2011 01:40 PMPosted by Mathryn
Thanks for this post.

:) Np. Glad to help when I can.
10/18/2011 02:03 PMPosted by Popesicle
Arguably the best point i gathered from that thread. Hadn't really considered reforging spirit, and having considered it now, it actually does make a lot of sense for my play style.

This theory only works if you can actually make the trade he's talking about. But you might not be able to do so for two reasons:
1. You can't reforge enough Spirit. Keep in mind we're probably talking about well over a thousand Spirit you need to get rid of - and you may well already be getting rid of Spirit as a Discipline Priest. Even if the only instants you cast are a single PW:S every 15 sec, you still need to lose 350 mp5 worth of Spirit.

2. You can't replace the spellpower. Spellpower is 2-3 times more valuable than the secondary stats you're trying to replace it with. Remember that Mastery and Critical don't affect everything you cast and Haste would require accompanying Spirit to make it mana-neutral. Inner Fire provides 5.6% more to everything you cast - that's not easy to replace.

So while it may sound like a decent principle, it's actually not very enlightening for the Will vs. Fire debate because you still need to do the math. And once you do the math, you don't need the principle because you can simply base your decision on hpm.
If you really want the best analogy/comparison between IF and IW, look at the difference between trinkets such as Shard of Woe and something like Eye of Blazing Power with a lot of passive Int. I for one would always choose Shard of Woe - the less my spells cost, the longer I can cast without worrying about using a regen spell, and the more PW:S casts I can get out without worrying about draining my mana.

During fights with constant AoE auras (Sindragosa, etc) being able to hit harder is more important because the incoming damage is constant and ongoing - you'll never be worrying about topping people off and overhealing. However, on fights with burst damage and lulls, you'll have plenty of time to top people off so getting big heals immediately isn't as great a concern as saving mana for the next burst (by my thinking, anyway. I'm sure people will disagree.)

There isn't any buff/trinket in the game that would give you enough throughput that you could cast one less spell and still heal the same amount of damage (worded differently, because I'm not even sure I understood what I said: AoE damage comes out, you are still going to use 5 PoH to top people off; using IF instead of IW or Eye instead of Shard won't ever give you enough throughput to cut that to 4 casts unless the 5th cast was already overhealing).

Basically, my thoughts are: using IW will enable you to get more throughput stats on gear, as well as give you more bang for your buck in terms of hpm. As Disc, IF is almost never worth it because your biggest HPS spell (PW:S) will always get the mana cost reduction from IW. The longer you can cast without going oom, the better. I've never lost someone in a raid because I didn't have 500 extra spellpower and could've used 800 more healing with GH, but I have lost people because I forgot to use IW and went oom too quickly >.>
Giving this a bump since it's drifting into the abyss.
10/19/2011 06:31 PMPosted by Ironey
There isn't any buff/trinket in the game that would give you enough throughput that you could cast one less spell and still heal the same amount of damage (worded differently, because I'm not even sure I understood what I said: AoE damage comes out, you are still going to use 5 PoH to top people off; using IF instead of IW or Eye instead of Shard won't ever give you enough throughput to cut that to 4 casts unless the 5th cast was already overhealing).

You have some criteria for "I stop casting PoH now" that's probably a health level a bit less than full health. Above that line, you don't cast another PoH; below it, you cast another PoH.

When you cast 4 PoH in a row with IF, you gain ~22.5% more healing than you would have with IW. One way of looking at this is about a quarter of time, you'll have gotten above your "stop casting" line - and thus won't need to cast another PoH.

Also remember you have other healers in the raid who are using different spells with different casting criteria, so your additional healing can potentially help them.

The situation you're describing - heavy damage - is precisely where incremental throughput bonuses shine. Where they don't is when you're just constantly topping off players.

I've never lost someone in a raid because I didn't have 500 extra spellpower and could've used 800 more healing with GH, but I have lost people because I forgot to use IW and went oom too quickly >.>

I suspect you don't actually know if you've ever lost someone due to lack of incremental improvements in throughput because it's incredibly hard to connect the dots without digging pretty deeply into logs.

That's why it's normally helpful to quantify various effects rather than just rely on qualitative appraisals like you're doing.
09/23/2011 09:55 AMPosted by Ashleycakez
Tips for Discipline:
  • Use Inner Fire UNTIL you learn Inner Will at level 83.

• I hope you are kidding.. instant spells are not really the bread and butter of disc priests.
    10/25/2011 08:00 AMPosted by Macphisto
    Tips for Discipline:

• I hope you are kidding.. instant spells are not really the bread and butter of disc priests.

I hope you are kidding... This has been discussed in this thread already and I linked a more heated discussion about Inner Will vs Inner Fire for Disc.

When you just reach 85 your Rapture doesn't even result in a mana gain that is twice the cost of PW: Shield, so you should be using Inner Will to lower the cost of PW: Shield in order to save mana. You don't gain more mana, you will always get 7% from Rapture, but the mana savings from Inner Will will be much more beneficial when you are undergeared for content.

This guide is not for raiding. If you are in full 391 gear running random Heroic Dungeons it doesn't matter which armor you use. When you aren't in a situation that requires maximizing your mana you can use Inner Fire. When you are in the situation that you are undergeared (or heavily relying on PW: Shield) you use Inner Will.
    Thanks Ashleycakez, My wife and I have been using this guide on our priests and we are level 65 now and able to heal in 5 man randoms even when the tank thinks he can do the run faster then any before him. lol..

Keep up the good work.
    Glad to hear it! Happy leveling :)
    10/25/2011 08:00 AMPosted by Macphisto
    Tips for Discipline:

It's not like there is a spell in the game called Power Word: Shield or anything.....

Think of it like this.... with IW roughly every 5 times I cast PW:S I get a free spell (free shield and almost a free PoH, GH or FH).
    Fantastic! :o

STICKY PLZ. <3
    Editted to include the changes 4.3 brought to Divine Hymn - now a great save in dungeons!
    Yay Ashley! Uprated and sticky requested. :)