Heirlooms

General Discussion
Prev 1 16 17 18 51 Next
10/05/2011 04:12 PMPosted by Jhelom
Can you see the difference between us mailing every single character on your account on every single realm an item, versus allowing you to mail a single item to any character on your account on any realm? It's a very big one as far as programming is concerned

And this is where I usually shut up out of frustration cause what the hell does it matter if you have one heirloom that can be mailed to a diffrent character for use over and over and over again??? Or you have mulitplies of the same item??? One item or muliple items, they can still be used on any toon just by taking a few seconds to mail em. Instead of being concered with cross realm mail and how that may be abused if it was ever done. Find a better solution than the 1 BoA be mailed around. The mail to all toons created on an account that has earned it. Or a vendor that allows you to aquire them on other servers if you account has earned it.

Trying to work around the mailing of BoAs isnt proving to be productive. Its been how many years now, and theres still no hope in sight? It cant be that hard to make a vendor that unlocks account items/perks similar to the guild rep vendor. At the very least, it would be easier than mailing cross realm and the potiential for abuse is almost nothing!
Can you see the difference between us mailing every single character on your account on every single realm an item, versus allowing you to mail a single item to any character on your account on any realm? It's a very big one as far as programming is concerned

And this is where I usually shut up out of frustration cause what the hell does it matter if you have one heirloom that can be mailed to a diffrent character for use over and over and over again??? Or you have mulitplies of the same item??? One item or muliple items, they can still be used on any toon just by taking a few seconds to mail em. Instead of being concered with cross realm mail and how that may be abused if it was ever done. Find a better solution than the 1 BoA be mailed around. The mail to all toons created on an account that has earned it. Or a vendor that allows you to aquire them on other servers if you account has earned it.

Trying to work around the mailing of BoAs isnt proving to be productive. Its been how many years now, and theres still no hope in sight? It cant be that hard to make a vendor that unlocks account items/perks similar to the guild rep vendor. At the very least, it would be easier than mailing cross realm and the potiential for abuse is almost nothing!
See my first post in the thread.

Post 142, I believe.
Why not make it when you buy the BoA it gives you a redeemable code that you can then use on any toon you make on any realm to redeem the BoA you desire?
YEah i figured that out a little late i spent 5 minutes typing that up just to post it on the wrong thread ugh. :( thanks for letting me know though
10/05/2011 12:07 PMPosted by Divinara
You're buying one item. But, that item can be given (not duplicated) to any character on the same account and realm via the in-game mail.

Honestly, that's just not the way this plays out...

I can only play on one character at a time per account, then if I plan to play on one of my other characters that needs a BoA, I just mail that BoA to the character that I'm about to play. Thus in practice all my characters have all my BoAs and the current system is just a nuisance since I have to mail stuff repeatedly.

Worse yet, when I log back the next time (a day or week later), I have to remember where all the BoAs are that I want before I even start playing the game... this means another 5-10 minutes of mail shuffling just to get started.

I like the idea of buying a piece of gear that can then be freely purchased by all other characters on my account for simplicity.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

I usually agree with Blizzard's decisions (strange right?). But this one just sounds way too counterintuitive.
For those making honest suggestions or constructive comments on this topic, I thank you. Jumping out of line and tearing apart Blizzard or any of the other posters in this thread isn't cool.

I'm just stating the facts of our design intent and technical hurdles, folks. If you choose not to believe what I'm saying -- as if I'd enjoy spending this much time on a topic just to spread lies and misinformation -- there's not much use in us continuing this discussion. Please keep it constructive and recognize that I'm a human being sharing what I know about our development and programming processes.

In other news, I've seen plenty of suggestions in this thread for ways in which some people think we could more quickly resolve the current limitation. I just want to point out that virtually all of the suggestions I've read would have very similar technical hurdles to overcome, but would also be less desirable solutions. If we're putting time into truly making BoA items account-wide, we want to do it right.

<3 Zarhym

Your responses are much appreciated zharhym, my only concern is: "Are you putting time into making BoA's account wide". It has been over 2 years or so since they were introduced and there just hasn't been much information on any progress being made, gives the impression it's simply not being given any kind of priority. And, in my own humble opinion, I can't help but see BoA's as being a "broken" feature until this is fixed.

It didn't help at all that Cataclysm gave us 2 new races and yet no corresponding character slot increase. I'm currently sitting on a capped realm full of un-deletable toons and all my BoA's are simply collecting dust.
well... I understand perfectly what u mean about earning not unlocking the heirlooms, but what I'm really hoping is that eventually u guys let us mail the heirlooms we "buy or earn" across realms like everybody is obviously looking for.
10/05/2011 05:38 PMPosted by Pwnógraphy

Honestly, that's just not the way this plays out...

I can only play on one character at a time per account, then if I plan to play on one of my other characters that needs a BoA, I just mail that BoA to the character that I'm about to play. Thus in practice all my characters have all my BoAs and the current system is just a nuisance since I have to mail stuff repeatedly.

Worse yet, when I log back the next time (a day or week later), I have to remember where all the BoAs are that I want before I even start playing the game... this means another 5-10 minutes of mail shuffling just to get started.

I like the idea of buying a piece of gear that can then be freely purchased by all other characters on my account for simplicity.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

I usually agree with Blizzard's decisions (strange right?). But this one just sounds way too counterintuitive.

Though under this system, would BoA's be bound to the character that picks them up out of the mail? If not then what happens if you purchase one dagger and one trinket, you now have two of both without having to purchase it twice.
Hello all,

Zarhym here again. :)

So, after making a trip to the doctor and having some blood stolen, I stopped by Ghostcrawler's office to discuss this and other topics with him. We talked about some of the feedback in this thread, as well as the developers' latest thoughts on BoA and heirloom items.

Rather than potentially having my statements in this thread come back to bite me at some point in the future, I'm going to risk being confusing or sounding dumb. :p

In short, they agree that the process of mailing heirlooms around constantly is a little annoying. We'd prefer to try and work ourselves away from the method of mailing out BoA items in the future, like pets, mounts, etc. To that end, we have some design goals in mind that would improve this sort of item distribution system. And with those design goals have come some ideas for changing heirloom mechanics. This is sort of contrary to the idea I stated in this thread about just designing the system to allow players to mail their heirlooms all around their accounts without realm restrictions.

That's all of the information I can share at the moment, but I feel like it's worth pointing out that the design philosophy I stated earlier isn't so set in stone -- we're reevaluating these types of systems as we look toward the future. I apologize if I've caused any confusion.
10/05/2011 11:41 AMPosted by Zarhym
I honestly don't buy the "It's a technical limitation" line. They can flag an account to have pets sent to each character when it's made, something similar can be done with BoA's, they just don't necessarily see it as important. "Technical Limitation" = "Not on our agenda"

The reason you might not accept the fact we call this a technical limitation seems to be because we fundamentally disagree about how the system should work.

Why not make it so when you purchase an item, you aren't buying the item right then and there, but you are "unlocking" it for the account.

You have to earn the ability to purchase each BoA item. You're not unlocking access to a BoA item which can then be duplicated for every character on an account. You're buying one item. But, that item can be given (not duplicated) to any character on the same account and realm via the in-game mail. What we want to build into Battle.net is the ability for this type of item to be mailed to any character on your account, regardless of realm. Such a system does not exist yet and provides a weighty technical challenge -- we need to make sure there are no adverse effects to making in-game mail cross-realm. For instance, just because we want you to be able to send BoA items to any character on your account, regardless of realm, doesn't necessarily mean we want to open Pandora's box by allowing anyone to mail anything not BoP cross-realm.

Can you see the difference between us mailing every single character on your account on every single realm an item, versus allowing you to mail a single item to any character on your account on any realm? It's a very big one as far as programming is concerned.

I think the fact that you guys have called these items Bind on Account leads to implications that it's account-wide. Heirlooms are clearly NOT account-wide items (without paying extra $ to make them so). But since you have called them that since day 1, that is why WE, the players, generally want them useable on our ACCOUNT, instead of a single faction on a single server.

Given that the expectation is that they are account items, I would think treating them like the various free pets would be the way to go (we could simply delete the extras we get with new characters). That functionality is already in the game, and it would mean the items actually acted like their description, even if it's not the way YOU at Blizzard would like them to act.

The system you describe (being able to mail across servers/factions to any of your own toons) would be a great one. But these heirlooms have been in the game for 3 years, labeled as Bind on Account, yet still clearly are NOT account bound.

That's why it rightly looks like making them act as they seem to be supposed to act looks to be "not on your agenda".
I really hate keeping track of my Boas its a pain in the butt to have to log on to 9 different characters just to find 1 boa that you need. ( to date i have 30+ boas so it takes me a long time to get organized) I also dont like switching to a different realm to play with friends and not having any boas because they are all on the other realm. So, boas can be really helpful but they can also be a pain in the butt to keep track of. :P
Nice to know. I'm glad the devs. are thinking of alternative to just mailing the BoA.

The reason you might not accept the fact we call this a technical limitation seems to be because we fundamentally disagree about how the system should work.

You have to earn the ability to purchase each BoA item. You're not unlocking access to a BoA item which can then be duplicated for every character on an account. You're buying one item. But, that item can be given (not duplicated) to any character on the same account and realm via the in-game mail. What we want to build into Battle.net is the ability for this type of item to be mailed to any character on your account, regardless of realm. Such a system does not exist yet and provides a weighty technical challenge -- we need to make sure there are no adverse effects to making in-game mail cross-realm. For instance, just because we want you to be able to send BoA items to any character on your account, regardless of realm, doesn't necessarily mean we want to open Pandora's box by allowing anyone to mail anything not BoP cross-realm.

Can you see the difference between us mailing every single character on your account on every single realm an item, versus allowing you to mail a single item to any character on your account on any realm? It's a very big one as far as programming is concerned.

I think the fact that you guys have called these items Bind on Account leads to implications that it's account-wide. Heirlooms are clearly NOT account-wide items (without paying extra $ to make them so). But since you have called them that since day 1, that is why WE, the players, generally want them useable on our ACCOUNT, instead of a single faction on a single server.

Given that the expectation is that they are account items, I would think treating them like the various free pets would be the way to go (we could simply delete the extras we get with new characters). That functionality is already in the game, and it would mean the items actually acted like their description, even if it's not the way YOU at Blizzard would like them to act.

The system you describe (being able to mail across servers/factions to any of your own toons) would be a great one. But these heirlooms have been in the game for 3 years, labeled as Bind on Account, yet still clearly are NOT account bound.

That's why it rightly looks like making them act as they seem to be supposed to act looks to be "not on your agenda".
Okay seriously, this is starting to give me the angries.

Heirloom items are not Account-WIDE items, but rather Account-RESTRICTED items. The term "Bind" refers to what the item CAN'T do, not what it CAN.

Yes, they ARE "clearly" account-bound. It's just that people (like you) insist on continuing to misrepresent the facts in an attempt to argue your point.

Yes, being able to conveniently access your Heirlooms on all servers would be a very welcome change, but "the tag is lying to me, FIX IT NAO" should not be the reason.
Well the solution to the problem would be, A) get choppin on moving the BOAs across accounts like the name implies, or B) make the name what it is intended to be BORs (Bind on Realms). But leaving it the way it is now makes it look like it is all about the 25$ fee to move a character.
Just like selling these mounts and pets, you dont do it because you think players would like to have them because they are cool and exciting, you do it for profit sales. Take the celestrail steed for example, its not cool or exciting.
I dont know why they dont like the idea up them unlocking once you buy a BOA. Sounds like a great idea to me.

Main on X server buys BOA Plate

Alt on R server goes to vendor in Org or SW in which he can buy Plate BOA's but not anything else.