Heirlooms

General Discussion
Post Limit:
Prev 1 18 19 20 51 Next
Wish everyone would stop crying over the most ridiculous things..

Not to be harsh, but proper grammar -does- help your situation.
Zarhym,

I doubt you'll see this and probably won't reply if you do, but....

I got a ticket to Blizzcon this year.

I hope you're there.

I want to shake your hand.

You da man, Z. Well, or you used to be...now you're a floating skull.

I think the fact that you guys have called these items Bind on Account leads to implications that it's account-wide. Heirlooms are clearly NOT account-wide items (without paying extra $ to make them so). But since you have called them that since day 1, that is why WE, the players, generally want them useable on our ACCOUNT, instead of a single faction on a single server.

Given that the expectation is that they are account items, I would think treating them like the various free pets would be the way to go (we could simply delete the extras we get with new characters). That functionality is already in the game, and it would mean the items actually acted like their description, even if it's not the way YOU at Blizzard would like them to act.

The system you describe (being able to mail across servers/factions to any of your own toons) would be a great one. But these heirlooms have been in the game for 3 years, labeled as Bind on Account, yet still clearly are NOT account bound.

That's why it rightly looks like making them act as they seem to be supposed to act looks to be "not on your agenda".

They are "bound," to that account, meaning you can't sell them to a buddy doing RAF or something. And they're not faction specific. I send my BOA breastplate and helmet from my lowbie dwarf warrior to my lowbie pally tauren all the time.

I agree, it would be nice if they were realm crossable. Age of Conan, for all it's flaws, had a /claim system that any BOA items were available. you could not sell them to vendors, but if you accidentally deleted it you could at least retrieve it. However, I'm just glad I can get leveling gear and not only get one use out of it.
Zarhym,

I doubt you'll see this and probably won't reply if you do, but....

I got a ticket to Blizzcon this year.

I hope you're there.

I want to shake your hand.

I'm game. ;)
I want to say that this to me sounds like, finding an alternative solution to other features that include BoAs, such as account wide achievements. I remember before seeing some blue posts talking about how if they could overcome the technical hurdle of bnet and such, they could do some stuff for account wide achievements and BoAs, like your saying, but then later on another blue post said that it wasn't on your' guys priority list and instead things such as content was more important.

From what I get here is that, you guys figured out a few ways to solve the BoA problem and put it on a separate solution, that doesn't include things such as account wide achievements. I can't fathom a general solution for this big puzzle, but I could definitely see a solution for individual tasks as assigning my heirlooms to alts I designate, that I have earned on my main. I'm intrigued to see what the proposed solution is to this BoA dilemma is.

10/05/2011 07:06 PMPosted by Zarhym
That means virtually all possibilities are on the table -- when talking about the continued evolution of this game, we dream big and go back to the drawing board. BoA items, in general, fit into that puzzle somewhere. You'll find out a bit more as to why soon enough.
*leaves the brewfest leftovers, a wagonload of aged gnomish beetroot brandy, in this thread*
I'm not reading through 19 pages...but why can't this work like other major MMO's that have gear/reward unlocks that are account wide?

I played AION for a couple months when it first came out, and upgraded to the Collector's Edition after a couple weeks of play for the bonus items. After doing that, all I had to do when creating a new character was go to the website and have it disburse the Collector's items to the new character.

I don't see why WoW can't do the same thing. If you buy a BoA from the vendor, it would unlock it on your WoW page in the Battle.net system. Then after you create a new character you just have it move the BoA's to that new character because they've been unlocked for that Battle.net account.
You have to earn the ability to purchase each BoA item. You're not unlocking access to a BoA item which can then be duplicated for every character on an account. You're buying one item. But, that item can be given (not duplicated) to any character on the same account and realm via the in-game mail. What we want to build into Battle.net is the ability for this type of item to be mailed to any character on your account, regardless of realm.

It's probably already been said, but I am not sifting through 400 comments to find it -- The issue with this statement is, once I can freely mail any heirloom across to any character on any realm, all I need is a mailbox, and once I have that I might as well have the heirloom duplicated, the end benefit is the same, every character can share and use the heirloom, you're just taking away the headache of putting the heirloom in the mail every time I switch toons that I want to level.

I see no valid argument to the Heirlooms are "buying one single BoA not unlocking the BoA for the entire account" when there is absolutely no functional different between those two scenarios, just requiring me to go to a mailbox, which we would need to go to anyway if you implemented something like the purchased pet delivery system.

I know other posts have been made since you made that first statement, and I'm glad you're open to looking at other ways of handling BoAs, or at least Heirlooms, still the original argument you put up doesn't hold water under the slightest bit of scrutiny.
Quick idea I'd like to throw into the fray;

I've seen another online game use a "handle", so to speak, that defined a character more specifically. So, why not make the in-game mail cross server by putting a chat handle that goes by the characters name following the @ symbol and then the realm that they exist on?

Ex:
Name: Aodin@Alleria
Subject: Blargh
Text: ABIbcsdbfshvahnaoihg;hvoiaubhasdbdalhvb (lol?)

That way, it's simplistic to send to a specific character. Just an idea.

/awaits the flaming and activates shield wall

Will you shake his eye socket?
Or, you could just implement a system where the user would submit a ticket to a gm and then say request to move all heirloom to said server. kind of how character transfers work I suppose. Maybe automate that process somehow. well it doesnt have to be a gm ticket but i think that would be the general idea. perhaps it could be via mail box, send it to some pre designated blizz address in-game mail with the subject being the toon and realm that you want to recieve the boas, then the blizz person just takes care of that.
I think Hierlooms should be removed! **ducks firing squad**

Levelling these days is so fast without Heirloom.

For PVE - people who are decked out in full Heirlooms will never die while questing. With no challenge whats the point of going thru the questing process - I'm sure it must be boring for them.

They will also be super OP in dungeons. And can probably ignore any of the dungeon mechanics.

So I think we can then safely agree that these people only want to reach level 85 ASAP.

So Blizzard should just provide a mechanism to grant levels by either

1) use VP as an example to purchase levels to grant
2) or, on creation of a new toon start level 40 for example if you already have a cap level character.

For PVP - people who are decked out in full Heirlooms will make a character in levelling gear regret they even stepped into a Battleground. Just reading the forums you can see the "love" for Heirloom items in BGs

In essence delivering what Heirloom items provide via another method

I think the fact that you guys have called these items Bind on Account leads to implications that it's account-wide. Heirlooms are clearly NOT account-wide items (without paying extra $ to make them so). But since you have called them that since day 1, that is why WE, the players, generally want them useable on our ACCOUNT, instead of a single faction on a single server.

Given that the expectation is that they are account items, I would think treating them like the various free pets would be the way to go (we could simply delete the extras we get with new characters). That functionality is already in the game, and it would mean the items actually acted like their description, even if it's not the way YOU at Blizzard would like them to act.

The system you describe (being able to mail across servers/factions to any of your own toons) would be a great one. But these heirlooms have been in the game for 3 years, labeled as Bind on Account, yet still clearly are NOT account bound.

That's why it rightly looks like making them act as they seem to be supposed to act looks to be "not on your agenda".

Somebody might have mentioned this already, but I'm going to make the point again, anyway.

All items, without exception, are bind-to-server. Thus, there is no moving of items between servers except by the paid character transfer. Some items have additional restrictions placed on them that further limit how they may be moved. Soulbound items are restricted to a specific character and cannot be moved at all.

Bind-on-account is not a permission, it is a limitation. It restricts movement of the item in question to other characters that are on your account. It goes without saying that the item can only be moved to other characters on that particular server, because that's the case for every item you have.

You aren't owed the ability to transfer your BoAs across server. Depending on how void storage works, you *might* gain the ability to do this, and if so, be thankful for it.

Otherwise, stop griping.
I think that a void storage for BOA's only that all accounts on your b.net account can access would be great as well at fix all problem stated that the GC and crew didn't like.
Hello all,

Zarhym here again. :)

So, after making a trip to the doctor and having some blood stolen

As a medical technologist I take offense to the notion of having your blood stolen. You actually paid to have your blood collected safely and aseptically. This blood was then tested using sophisticated medical instruments and state of the art technology. The people who tested your blood are licensed professionals who work tirelessly to ensure that accurate results are given to your doctor who is able to make an informed decision about your health.

Signed

Shadruh, MS, MLS(ASCP)

You assume these two events are one in the same.

I assume he went to the doctor and on his way back to his car, he was attacked by a massive swarm of vampire bats, who stole his blood. And mosquitoes. And leeches. And Pam from True Blood, too, just for good measure.

It was not a good day for him...