Blizzard you've crossed the line, pt2

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8
I discussed the prospect of buy gold, directly or not, with a friend of mine, and came to this conclusion. While I was, originally, against the idea, now I have absolutely no problem with it. At least I don't here in WoW. The reasoning for this is simple:

Everything that you a required to spend gold on in this game to play the game effectively - flight training, spells from trainers, and things of that nature - you get plenty of money from just playing the game normally. I have extremely poor money management skills, and I still sit on enough gold that when it comes time to repair my armor or buy new skills I don't bat an eye, and I have the highest tier of flight training, and numerous mounts and companions.

I've bought armor from rep vendors, and even off the auction house, and all I do is do the quest lines (including dailies) and run dungeons a lot. When I do sell stuff on the AH, I usually sell it at a discount, simply because I don't need the money that much.

So what would being able to buy gold get me? Well, I might be able afford that dragon mount transformation thing that everyone is crazy about, but what kind of advantage does that give me?

Interestingly, I've talked to people on both sides of the issue, and I find that - overwhelmingly - people without money to throw away on a game tend to be against it, and people with money to spend on a game tend to be for it. So does this mean that something that not everyone can afford should be outlawed? I supposed I should turn in my iPod, then.
10/10/2011 03:32 PMPosted by Shögun
Same thing happened with Real ID. But on a larger scale. 90% of the feedback was negative and Blizzard changed it.

That is something a bit different. If you Google my real name, which is pretty uncommon, the results only show information about me and my friends. There were pictures of us, where I lived, information about us and where we lived, etc... Some mad kid could have slaughtered me and everyone I know just by Googling my name.

This is a little less intrusive to the privacy of their subscribers.

Also I do believe that the people started to contact their elected officials about the Real ID thing and it violating peoples privacy.

Just saying sometimes when people voice their opinions and their is enough negative feedback Blizzard might change it :/

Not that they would change this....
I think your whole point of contention is I could potentially buy a pet and make gold off of someone else "quickly." Take a look at how much gold you make during your $.50/day sub fee, then multiply that by 20 to get your $10 cash paid. I expect that cash value per gold is much better that way. If someone wants to keep spending X times the value of their sub fee to attempt to amass gold, how's it any different than grinding dailies and mats? Effort? Eh, dailies are relatively simple and collecting mats is easier. Time? $10 for 2 days is $5/day to MAYBE sell the pet and make anything vs. $0.50/day to get guaranteed gold. I've seen it said that anyone making less than 1k gold a day was doing it wrong, so 20k gold for that $10? At what point do they suddenly become different? You're paying for your gold one way or another. As long as it goes to Blizz, why does it matter how fast you pay for it?

The problem is theoretically, or in the future, you can cash in real life resources for in game ones (like Diablo 3).

This one pet probably isn't going to make or break it. But it's could only be a precursor.

You do have to pay to play the game, but everyone has to pay the same. After that initial fee (and it's unreasonable to say the game should be free), everyone is on "even footing". That's a part of the game that appeals to a lot of people. You can't just funnel real life money into the game to advance, like you will in D3 or EVE. That's something they said they'd never go back on. And they did.

Why not sell non-raid gear, or gold, or time cards for gold? Where do you draw the line? Is it gold? Because gdkp, boom, voila, you can now get gear for gold.

That even footing thing is something i liked about MMOs, and it was something i was planning on refusing to buy D3 over. I don't want to see it migrate to something i'm already playing.
I don't really care about the whole AH thing, but I will not pay $10 for a pet I only get on one character.
Unfortunately, people don't realize that blaming things, or addressing anything RE: this game, with "BLIZZARD" means nothing. Learn2know how companies work.

If you had any reading comprehension skills at all youd realize this issue is about far more than just the pet itself.

He did say it was the straw on the camels back, meaning that the news of a BoU pet was what made him cancel his account. Just thought I would point that out.

I believe that saying means, the camel had a lot of other things on it's back, but eventually that last piece of straw was too much weight and it fell over.

e.g. lots of bad stuff already on it=bulk, something annoying but clearly not as bad=straw

Correct me if I'm wrong.

But he would not have canceled his account if there was no tradable pet purchased with real money, one could argue that the cancelation was triggered by the tradable pet bought with real money.

After all, he would still be subscribed right now if there was no tradable pet that can be bought with real money. If those other things on the camels back were so bad he would have quit a long time ago. He was obviously tolerant of those other things on the camels back but was not ok with the BoU pet for $$.
10/10/2011 03:37 PMPosted by Someone

That is something a bit different. If you Google my real name, which is pretty uncommon, the results only show information about me and my friends. There were pictures of us, where I lived, information about us and where we lived, etc... Some mad kid could have slaughtered me and everyone I know just by Googling my name.

This is a little less intrusive to the privacy of their subscribers.

Also I do believe that the people started to contact their elected officials about the Real ID thing and it violating peoples privacy.

Just saying sometimes when people voice their opinions and their is enough negative feedback Blizzard might change it :/

Not that they would change this....

More similar, they did scrap realid grouping costing money.

but i agree it's unlikely to cause enough of a stir.

10/10/2011 03:37 PMPosted by Pseyrina
So does this mean that something that not everyone can afford should be outlawed?

That was the original thinking for MMOs. Times have changed, i suppose, for better or worse (or for the almighty profit).
On the scale of controversy, I'd rate this:
(1-10)
This is a 7 out of 10
Celestial Steed was 8
FL nerfs were 7
T11 nerfs were 4
RealId was 11
If I were Blizz, I'd stop with things like this here. More will rise huge discontent (valid or otherwise.)
10/10/2011 03:21 PMPosted by Tyrazsun
If there was a real, in-game advantage to having a stupid amount of gold (it doesn't buy you full raid gear, it doesn't make you a better player, it won't make you good at PvP, and you can't bribe heroic bosses to die with gold), this would be a concern.

GDKPs can buy you gear, legendaries, and heroic boss kills, FWIW. Semantics, but i figured i throw that out there.

I'm not so worried about this pet in particular, but the precedent.

I'll give you that much, on both accounts there. It's a scary precedent, but then again so is change in any sense. When gear itself or perhaps pre-made characters become purchasable, I'll be more concerned or upset. In-game currency that's already existent so that it's merely a change of hands has me less worried.
10/10/2011 03:41 PMPosted by Sanadras

GDKPs can buy you gear, legendaries, and heroic boss kills, FWIW. Semantics, but i figured i throw that out there.

I'm not so worried about this pet in particular, but the precedent.

I'll give you that much, on both accounts there. It's a scary precedent, but then again so is change in any sense. When gear itself or perhaps pre-made characters become purchasable, I'll be more concerned or upset. In-game currency that's already existent so that it's merely a change of hands has me less worried.

Yeah. I mean, i wasn't too worried about it a few years ago, when the Pet store was initially added. I don't think i posted at all.

It all relies on trust, really. I believed (well, hoped really. $$ is a big motivator, and i know that), that they'd stay that way. For me this is flirting too close to the idea, for someone i don't trust anymore.

They've been more willing to do things that bring in $$, but which aren't necesarily healthy for the game (transfers, for one. What could've been great, has left some servers ghosts towns).

I hate having the feeling like they're constantly pushing the envelope with me, trying to find the sweet spot just before i'm fed up with it, but still paying max $$.
10/10/2011 03:39 PMPosted by Tyrazsun
I think your whole point of contention is I could potentially buy a pet and make gold off of someone else "quickly." Take a look at how much gold you make during your $.50/day sub fee, then multiply that by 20 to get your $10 cash paid. I expect that cash value per gold is much better that way. If someone wants to keep spending X times the value of their sub fee to attempt to amass gold, how's it any different than grinding dailies and mats? Effort? Eh, dailies are relatively simple and collecting mats is easier. Time? $10 for 2 days is $5/day to MAYBE sell the pet and make anything vs. $0.50/day to get guaranteed gold. I've seen it said that anyone making less than 1k gold a day was doing it wrong, so 20k gold for that $10? At what point do they suddenly become different? You're paying for your gold one way or another. As long as it goes to Blizz, why does it matter how fast you pay for it?

The problem is theoretically, or in the future, you can cash in real life resources for in game ones (like Diablo 3).

This one pet probably isn't going to make or break it. But it's could only be a precursor.

You do have to pay to play the game, but everyone has to pay the same. After that initial fee (and it's unreasonable to say the game should be free), everyone is on "even footing". That's a part of the game that appeals to a lot of people. You can't just funnel real life money into the game to advance, like you will in D3 or EVE. That's something they said they'd never go back on. And they did.

Why not sell non-raid gear, or gold, or time cards for gold? Where do you draw the line? Is it gold? Because gdkp, boom, voila, you can now get gear for gold.

That even footing thing is something i liked about MMOs, and it was something i was planning on refusing to buy D3 over. I don't want to see it migrate to something i'm already playing. EDIT: Fix'd for unweildly spacing

While I do sympathise with the idea that it leaves people with even footing, that's just it -- this doesn't truly affect equal footing. Selling gear DOES affect footing and is not done. Selling game time I'd be all for because sometimes it helps to have that extra smattering of time, so long as THAT stays outta AH. (Basically, I'm good with selling MY gold to Blizz for game time, that is all.) *QUICK EDIT - Wasn't supposed to post, wait one, plz)
Lets keep this discussion in one place. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3341766682