Using Xbox 360 Controller for WoW

Technical Support
I have been told by a few people that there is a way to use your Xbox 360 controller to play with WoW. I have looked it up online and have seen many articles about programs and this and that, but they either don't work or cost money. Is there really a way that I can use my 360 controller to play WoW without having to pay for any programs?
Heavin,

World of Warcraft was developed only to support the standard Keyboard and Mouse configuration. Additional input devices; such as a joystick or gamepad are not supported. While they may offer some functionality in the game; please be advised that because they are not officially supported; some commands may not operate as desired.

"When you play the Game of Thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."
Ok, I know a few people using http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Razer+-+Nostromo+Gaming+Keypad/1785158.p?id=1218291963577&skuId=1785158&st=Belkin%20Nostromo%20SpeedPad%20n52te%20Gamepad&cp=1&lp=1
they say it works fine though you still have to use the mouse for most of the functions though that gamepad(linked) works for targeting and hotkeys. Just making sure I can use said gamepad
The Nostromo definitely works, but that's in no way the same as a 360 controller....
1. The Nostromo works fine with WoW, and doesn't break TOS or EULA. For more on using this controller with WoW, check out my YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/grendalsh
2. Martyt's post above is meant as a disclaimer that, while you CAN use non-standard control devices (ie, xbox controller, Nostromo, even a DDR mat), there is no support for it because it's not a 'standard' input device, so you're on your own if you chose to use one.
3. I HAVE tried using a DDR mat with WoW - no extra software required. Just had to get my PC to recognize the inputs as a gaming controller, then bind it's inputs into WoW's keybindings. It didn't work very well, but it was a proof of concept. Most devices do not require third-party software to use, only to customize the key values.
4. WoW CAN be made to work using a console controller, but really you're gimping yourself for a novelty.
10/12/2011 01:14 PMPosted by Heavin
I have been told by a few people that there is a way to use your Xbox 360 controller to play with WoW. I have looked it up online and have seen many articles about programs and this and that, but they either don't work or cost money. Is there really a way that I can use my 360 controller to play WoW without having to pay for any programs?

Xpadder works great, yes it costs money, it like $5 and simply works.
The program AutoHotKey might be able to do what you're after. The most "current" version is an offshoot named AutoHotKey_L, which is hosted on the same server. There's even help pages which discuss exactly this sort of thing. Oh, and it's free.

As mentioned, though, the experience may be less-than-desirable.

*ed: I say it might because I've never used it as such. I only use it for multimedia keys, since my keyboard lacks such functionality, and locking the various "Lock" keys to pre-determined settings.
You would need a 3rd party program like those suggest above to make the controller send out keystrokes/mouse movements when you hit the buttons. For instance, I've got a PS3 controller plugged into my PC, and the software I use (MotioninJoy) for this lets me make different profiles for what signals get sent for each controller button.

I set it up to make the left stick generate keyboard presses for strafing and moving forward/back, make the action buttons (square, triangle etc) do 1234, made the right stick do mouse movements, the shoulder buttons do left and right click, the triggers do tab and jump, and the dpad do some other keys.

While this is enough for say playing an arcane mage in a 5 man (I've actually been using it to level my mage when I feel lazy), it's still too clumsy to use for anything demanding like a raid or pvp (although there is a hilarious video on youtube of someone using a steeringwheel to play a frost mage in unrated BGs).
All I know is switchblade is bogus! you download this crap, an your wastin space on your hard drive. Pay to use a 360 controller on wow? I dont even pay for wow yet... Lol, the only good thing about switchblade is it's not a virus. Everything else about it almost seems to scream pyramid scheme ,if thats even possible... something like that should be free-ware. I can't wait till I start college in 2012 on the 7th. I'll program something better then switchblade, an make it free just to put them outta business. Thanx switchblade, thats 40 mins of my life I'll never get back. Joystixpro only $19.99 a month XD reminds me of a commercial on tv. WAT GARBAGE!
I think they wanna be like microsoft, they even make you pay for updates...
Thats stupid dude why can we not use a xbox controller??? we should be able to its not like we are hacking your bloody game you guys allow addons witch changes your program why not allow us to use a controller? please allow this it would make pve so much funner :P and pvp
Ignoring, for a second, that this thread is well over a year old...

Gamepads simply don't have enough inputs. An Xbox controller has a total of 12 buttons, 4 axes and a hat (which could be used as 4 more buttons) - the axes are already spoken for by character and cursor movement, leaving a total of 16 possible buttons to do everything else. Two of those would have to function as mouse buttons, leaving just 14 buttons able to be configured for other things such as quick targeting and skills.

I don't know about you, but 14 is nowhere near enough buttons for my characters - even in PvE (which arguably requires less buttons than PvP). I have a total of 13 binds just on my mouse and an additional 16 more on the keyboard before you take into consideration things like jumping and ducking (or, more importantly, up and down while flying/swimming), "Next target" and a PtT key for whatever VoIP program I'm using at the time. And there are still a few infrequent things I have to click in spite of all those bindings.

You could, potentially, use modifiers to extend the number of functions you have access to at the same time, but then you start running into a whole host of other problems when you want to use (for example) two skills which both require different modifiers. I've been there before, using only Shift as a modifier, and it the more competitive you get the bigger a problem it becomes.

Not only would rewriting the client to actually natively support a gamepad of any kind be a lengthy endeavour, the entire game itself would have to greatly simplified. Diablo III is possible because it is already simple, but WoW is a completely different beast altogether.

With that said, it's not that using a gamepad isn't allowed - it's just not supported. Provided you don't break any of the rules (particularly regarding automation) you can use the tools referenced earlier in this thread to do it. Just don't expect to do particularly well due to the aforementioned button restriction, and if something goes wrong than you're on your own.
dude if you wanna use a program to try it on its xpadder but the one i got from i different website got it for free so look up xpadder for free but using a gamepad or 360 gamepad may not work well when raiding
I was able to bind all 39 of my current in-game keybindings to my 360 controller via XPadder -- the program allows you to toggle different "sets" while holding down a specific key, thus allowing you greater button options. The biggest problems are: 1) remember which key does what, 2) not accidentally triggering another set from button spamming, and 3) one set has to be dedicated to mouse functions, if you don't want to constantly hold down a trigger to turn.

It will never be as efficient as a keyboard/mouse, simply because the mouse is 100% required to do a great deal of interface/player interaction, but for soloing and dailies, it's much, much easier on my hands.
Ignoring, for a second, that this thread is well over a year old...
Gamepads simply don't have enough inputs. An Xbox controller has a total of 12 buttons, 4 axes and a hat (which could be used as 4 more buttons) - the axes are already spoken for by character and cursor movement, leaving a total of 16 possible buttons to do everything else. Two of those would have to function as mouse buttons, leaving just 14 buttons able to be configured for other things such as quick targeting and skills.

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents:

I use an XBox 360 Wired controller (Wireless is possible with a dongle from Microsoft or cheap offshoot chinese brand) with XPadder and it serves all of my needs for all of my classes. I played WoW with a keyboard and mouse up to lvl 45... and since I have made the switch to the controller, I couldn't ever go back. I prefer this -by far- to the WASD/Mouse model. I have, with 12 main buttons, and then 3 modifiers (set to L and R triggers respectively... [L; R; L+R]) making a total of 48 button possibilities! Make a few macros, add in Bartender and XPerl for a little personal UI (to make associating spells easier with your button setup) and you have a fully functional controller experience.
Pinnacle Game Profiler is actually a better program (mainly due to better mouse acceleration options) but it also can be buggy. I had to be inventive with healing, but I put together a great system. On my Mac OS, I use the Tattiebogle driver and ControllerMate to map the buttons - and that program is, by far, the best program on the market for HID interface mapping and graphical programming in general - and yeah, that one's 25 bucks.

With this setup on both PC / Mac, I have been able to level melee, heals, and ranged/casters. I can Raid and effectively PvP... and wow, does pvp feel fun on a controller!
Anyway. Hope that clears some stuff up.
Im just going to throw this out there.... Final Fantasy XIV managed to make a very well put together gamepad setup and the way they did it you can have tons of different selections.

Basically movement is obviously controlled by the two sticks... then you can hold your triggers down to make both the ABXY buttons and the dpad to control actions and spells. I prefer it far more than keyboard mouse for that game. Now I just need to find a way to make this work with WoW and ill be satisified.
04/06/2014 05:14 PMPosted by Holyfap
Im just going to throw this out there.... Final Fantasy XIV managed to make a very well put together gamepad setup and the way they did it you can have tons of different selections.

Basically movement is obviously controlled by the two sticks... then you can hold your triggers down to make both the ABXY buttons and the dpad to control actions and spells. I prefer it far more than keyboard mouse for that game. Now I just need to find a way to make this work with WoW and ill be satisified.

"Xpadder" look it up, thank me later
*Microsoft Windows Users Only!*

You can download and install an application called "Xpadder". This application basically assigns what a key pressed on the keyboard would do, to a button of your choice on the controller. You can look up many tutorials on youtube on houw to use this application.
Why use an Xbox 360 control when you can play wow with a Steering Wheel?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CC5X-HvYPE