DK Tier 13 Thread

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 9 Next
No, as far as I know we don't plan to make it a reveal at BlizzCon, though there's a chance the timing of its release could, by coincidence, be around that time. It's still planned to be revealed in the same manner the rest have been -- via a blog on our front page with the visual retrospective of previous tiers and developer description.

We'd love to post it by next week if we can, but I can't promise that with all the BlizzCon preparations taking place.

(The only reason I'm posting right now is because I've been at work for 13 hours today: twitter.com/talkingcongas/status/124695686452228096)

I'll give you a bit of the lowdown on why the death knight set hasn't come out yet, even in the 4.3 PTR files third-party sites are looking through. As with all sets, a concept art piece was done for death knight tier 13. When that was translated to the actual in-game look, we felt it wasn't up to par with the concept, and ultimately wasn't nearly at the quality level of the other tier 13 sets. But, that death knight set was completed weeks ago.

So, there are times where multiple iterations of how a set will look in the game are made, based on the original concept piece. In this case though, we felt there to be such a gap in quality that we went back to the drawing board and came up with an entirely new piece of concept art, scrapping the original concept and in-game art done for death knights.

Well, I can say the new concept art is done and the set is close to being ready for image captures. I've not seen either, but I've heard very good things. :)

This is just a thought but im sure it will get released before then. I'm just curious as to why all the other tier 13 models were datamined from the PTR but they decided to keep DK one out. Are they just still working on it or is there some kind of big announcement planned for DKs? The only thing datamined found on the PTR were the icons for the set which look a little frosty.

what yall think?

Thank you. So. Much. I was getting really frustrated because I could not find a single blue post on the subject. I wholeheartedly appreciate you taking the time to finally shed some light on the matter. So relieving, means a bunch, thanks for the consideration, hope you got a good nights rest <3
No, as far as I know we don't plan to make it a reveal at BlizzCon, though there's a chance the timing of its release could, by coincidence, be around that time. It's still planned to be revealed in the same manner the rest have been -- via a blog on our front page with the visual retrospective of previous tiers and developer description.

We'd love to post it by next week if we can, but I can't promise that with all the BlizzCon preparations taking place.

(The only reason I'm posting right now is because I've been at work for 13 hours today: twitter.com/talkingcongas/status/124695686452228096)

I'll give you a bit of the lowdown on why the death knight set hasn't come out yet, even in the 4.3 PTR files third-party sites are looking through. As with all sets, a concept art piece was done for death knight tier 13. When that was translated to the actual in-game look, we felt it wasn't up to par with the concept, and ultimately wasn't nearly at the quality level of the other tier 13 sets. But, that death knight set was completed weeks ago.

So, there are times where multiple iterations of how a set will look in the game are made, based on the original concept piece. In this case though, we felt there to be such a gap in quality that we went back to the drawing board and came up with an entirely new piece of concept art, scrapping the original concept and in-game art done for death knights.

Well, I can say the new concept art is done and the set is close to being ready for image captures. I've not seen either, but I've heard very good things. :)

This is just a thought but im sure it will get released before then. I'm just curious as to why all the other tier 13 models were datamined from the PTR but they decided to keep DK one out. Are they just still working on it or is there some kind of big announcement planned for DKs? The only thing datamined found on the PTR were the icons for the set which look a little frosty.

what yall think?

That's really awesome that you guys saw the set didn't turn out well enough and decided to re-do it. What I'd like to know is why the same wasn't done with the S11 set.
That set is also very clearly lacking in quality, which as an aside really raises questions about the person designing the Death Knight armor. Was the T13 set even worse? I wish I could have seen that XD
Not that I would actually mind as long as the T13 set really is awesome, since we'll be getting Reforging at the same time.

Wow, here's my 2 cents, I guess.

If you took that kind of time with the actual gameplay instead of the art you'd work for a developer who pushes a game many orders of magnitude the quality that it is now, because although some of the modern artwork looks good, nothing matters when everything is clunky and unbalanced - except your dozen RP servers who don't raid/pvp hard enough to collect the good looking gear until months after new stuff has been released.

That's wrong.

For the record, your 2 cents are pretty worthless. I happen to know that these guys work their butts off to make this and every game they work on as enjoyable and balanced as possible, it isn't an easy task. The reason it is taking so long for the dk set to come out is because they are focused on many other aspects of the game on top of the incoming blizzcon. It frustrates me when people make ignorant comments like this. How about you develop your own god damn MMO since you would obviously be so much better for the job since you seem to know so much about how to make one more successful than WoW has been?

Wow, here's my 2 cents, I guess.

If you took that kind of time with the actual gameplay instead of the art you'd work for a developer who pushes a game many orders of magnitude the quality that it is now, because although some of the modern artwork looks good, nothing matters when everything is clunky and unbalanced - except your dozen RP servers who don't raid/pvp hard enough to collect the good looking gear until months after new stuff has been released.

That's wrong.

First of all, as has been said millions of times already all over the forums, those are different teams. The people working on art are not the same people working on gameplay mechanics.
Second, different people care about different things. Just because you don't care about the graphics/art doesn't mean those things aren't important.
Frankly, this game is so old and outdated that it can use every little visual improvement they can manage.
Hell, they completely overhauled water graphics this expansion and it still looks fake and cheap as hell. Games released 6-7 years ago, like Guild Wars, have better water graphics than the brand new ones they made.
And finally, you aren't even a Death Knight. Of course you're going to dislike them putting aside development time for them. It's laughably shallow though to actually go out and say it's a bad idea to do it.

what yall think?

Zarhym, if that's the case, (I know it is I just want to know what Blizz's opinion on them is) how did the t9 sets ever make it past the drawing board? Or for that matter DK t7? :P

But it's good to know that it's on it's way and I'll be able to see what I'll look like soon. Thanks for the heads up man.
I am sad that I am seeing this in General Discussion. There have been plenty of threads in the actual DK forums that have gone unanswered and after all of those all it took was some one just posting in the wrong forum to get a blue post.

I am very excited to see what they have planned and Ill pretty much wait til the release of 4.3 if I have to, but hows about a preview of the T13 concept to hold us over until then?

I honestly believe that whatever they decide to do will be better than my flame lobster that Im wearing right now. Ill take the new PvP set as tier if I have to lol. Transmog FTW.

But really, please, for the love of god, PLEASE do not just give up and put our helm on our shoulders. Com'on, really T11? Did you really think that putting a couple extra helms on our shoulders would really go unnoticed? Sure, I looked like a 3 headed demon spawn, but it got old pretty fast lol.

Anyways, glad to hear an update, sucks it has taken so long, and keep up the good work. I enjoy it and really I have no choice if I continue to play the game. So put a damn clown costume on us, Im sure there are those out there that would enjoy the hell out of it hehehe.

Is it possible to see the prior concept image after the sets release?
[/quote]
It's amazing how damned-if-you-do and damned-if-you-don't Blizzard is on... well, everything. It's so sad to watch them try so hard and people complain no matter what they do. Here, they decided to open up part of their design process for the gaming public, to show us something special and do it in an official way since there's clearly a demand for it since people have been doing it in an unofficial way for some time. So they say: here is your cool bonus! And people's reaction is: WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO HIDE FROM US?!?!

Wow. They can't give us something nice without people freaking out and inventing conspiracies about it. Maybe, guys: they're just a gaming company, one that has an iterative design process that sometimes takes a little longer than normal. I know the truth is WAY more boring than the elaborate plots that have been concocted, but frankly that's how all of life works: the truth is always more boring than the lies. Sorry.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more with this post. Believe it or not Blizzard does put time and effort into everything they do in this game, only to be spit on by the very people who play it. Who cares if they posted this in the general forum, they did not have to post it anywhere. Thank you blizz for taking the time to address questions on the forum and, please, ignore the haters and keep up the hard work. There is still SOME good appreciative people in the WoW community, its just hard to find them.

what yall think?

WTB before/after pics. ;o
I bet someone decided to troll the concept art and made an entire suit out of skulls. Or it was Skeletor and some kind soul saved us from that.

Why can't DKs have sunshine and glitter and unicorns on our tier sets like pallies, huh?

Oh, and, just being the sort to apply logic, it wouldn't be DK T13...we don't have a T1-6 so this is like our T7 >>

It's the thirteenth tier of raid content, hence the designation. It has little to do with how many armor sets predated them.

Just like if there was a new class next expansion, it would still be their Tier 14 set for the next raid tier.

On-topic: Thanks for the insight as to why it was delayed, Zarhym.

wait no. can you show us a picture of the awful tier first? I wanna see how bad something has to be before your art team throws up

I'd love to see this but he's probably passed out at his desk.

>>;; Too bad, I'm always interested in weird, screwed up "bad art" that comes out of a good artist's portfolio.

Shows you where they were going - and that they also struggle from time to time.

I'm going to gather that it was just one of those things that looks better in 2D - looking at the icons, could you imagine if the set was made out of ice? That could present an awesome image in 2D, but EXECUTING it in 3D would be a colossal pain.

So maybe they're going to chuck you into Sons of Hodir gear instead - still frosty, but with more easily rendered details.

So you have time even though blizzcon is going on for all the other classes to get posted, but not DK's?
Oh, also, for the people who think 'skulls make everything deathy and scary! A DK without a skull is just pink fluffy bunnies!'

Let me assure you, if Blizz can make skulls look silly and not intimidating, they can make a non-skull themed set look intimidating and serious.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=39404#screenshots:id=112005
10/13/2011 06:27 PMPosted by Demonstalker
Do you even know what a skull is?

Well what would you call that then? look at the side view

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/896003-Between-t12-Paladin-amp-t12-Death-Knight-which-you-like-the-most

it looks more like a face, not vary skull like
i think they are makeing us t1-6 :D and even if they dont like the first t13 set they made they could just make it t1 (and t2 has a helm from ony level 80)
10/13/2011 05:57 PMPosted by Vellius
Please for the love of god no skulls or spikes

Because Death Knights have no affiliation with skulls..... Skulls are like their key symbol, IMO.

They should post both versions and let the fans decide...

Plus, hardcore Blizzard art fans like myself just like to see all the stages in the process of creating item models...

Thats actually a cool idea. From now on they should make two sets for each class and the one that gets implemented is decided by votes.
So do we get to see the old scrapped art?