Female Character Development is gone?

Story Forum
Female characters in WoW have been somewhat left by the wayside lately, in favor of 4 individuals in particular. Thrall, Garrosh, Varian and Malfurion. I can understand this, because Thrall, Garrosh and Varian are all intergral to the (assinine) Horde/Alliance thing, and Malfurion is a pivitoal figure in the current story arc.

Of the female characers, the only ones who have gotten any real attention are clearly out of their minds. Maeve and Sylvanas have both gone off the deep end, and in a very big way. However, the development is there.

Jaina, we know, is getting a book soon, which is hinted to bring back her strong personality. Of course, it will almost certianly center around the destruction of Theramore, so which direction they take that personality remains in question. I would like to point back to Cycle of Hatred, mind you, as she went through a good deal of development there. She's been despirately trying to hold the peace between the Horde and Alliance. What bugs me about her is this whole 'my King' mentality in regards to Varian. Jaina is herself royalty, she owes no fealty to Varian, and should be far less reserved in dealing with him.

It was also stated, rather clearly, at Blizcon, that the 'Malfurion Armcandy' perspective of Tyranda will be going.

Just like with so many characters who haven't been explored, the issue is a lack of writers. They have what... 3 people writing the books? Theres alot of material for thsoe 3 people to cover, and there are going to be gaps and characters left out. We can only hope they get their time in the spotlight at some point. The overly male focus is a common theme in fantasy literature, and while its dated, its so deeply ingrained in the material that its likely to stay with us for a long time.

Alexstrasza is sort of cool but she doesn't really do much.

Ysera has no character.

Jaina is and always has been a cry baby who needs to buck up and stop worrying about guys.

Tyrande is a "female dog" who can get away with being a "female dog" because she's sleeping with Malfurion.

Sylvanas was ok until she attacked the Worgen. Now I hate her.

Maiev was ok but then she killed Illidan so now I hate her.

Aggra is one of the worst characters in the game.[/quote]

hahaha
Jaina's hate is starting to annoy me, seeing its all justicfied with she being a cry baby, yet I have only ever heard her cry twice, in the same raid.
/bump
This horse is so dead, that eventually other horses of the same breed at to die and be beaten to satisfy the need to beat this dead horse.

Eventually, to solidify this, these horses were then resurrected and are now recognizable as the Forsaken racial mounts.
I like Sylvanas. She is honestly the only leader I feel has any personality other then, "Hey, I'm the leader." I have only been playing for a year and not read all the lore yet, but from what I have seen of herm Sylvanas is one of the deepest characters in the game, and one of the stronger female leaders I have seen. I have seen better, but she is good.
Sylvanas is like the most badass character, as well as probably the most clever. Yea shes lacking in the moral department but thats why shes so doin so well. Kinda wish she got rid of those worgen though completely... stupid game mechanics...
Hate to break it to some people, but just because a character is 'badass' has absolutely no bearing as to whether they're a 'good' character or not.

Case in point; Jr Hellscream, the most inconsistently written character ever. He goes from whiny pissant from BC, to uber douchebag in Wrath, to bi-polar honorable warrior/insufferable idiot in cataclysm. And yet, people are informed that he's a great character and warchief.

Same goes for the undead streetwalker the Forsaken call a queen.
Case in point; Jr Hellscream, the most inconsistently written character ever. He goes from whiny pissant from BC, to uber douchebag in Wrath, to bi-polar honorable warrior/insufferable idiot in cataclysm. And yet, people are informed that he's a great character and warchief.

People in real life aren't as consistent as characters in books.
I agree with OP on Jania and Tyranade. Even though new book is supposed to work on Jania.

Aggra was never a "strong" lore character to me. More of a supporting type. She isn't just arm candy in my book though. "Arm Candy" is supposed to be pretty. That and Aggra will pimp slap Thrall if he ever loses his head. She loves him, but she's not his servant. Props on that actually.

Alexstraza... well first off, she doesn't have any mates left. And she did just lose her favorite. Plus there are rumors she's on the way out anyhow.

You can look forward to:

Sylvanas. I suppose her. I just hate how she IS the Forsaken. With no other figure in sight. They are her slaves more so then her people. I can't see her seeing them anymore then just tools. Even after reading her very short story.

Moira. She don't back down from no one. As long as she doesn't turn out to be evil.

Alleria & Veressa. If they aren't Arm Candy for their respective husbands, then they are strong lore characters.

Besides, Blizzard isn't just ignoring and not making powerful female characters... no one is really going anywhere. Just Varian, Garrosh, Thrall and formerly Tirion (Med'an if you include the comics). They haven't developed anyone since Wrath of the Lich King more then those handful of characters. I suppose it is because their cast is too big.
11/14/2011 10:15 PMPosted by Searik
People in real life aren't as consistent as characters in books.

So true. How does that rule of thumb go? "Good Fiction is written to be more believable than life could ever be.."

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CharacterDepth
Height: How important the character is to the story/society/main character. Most one-dimensional characters are defined by this and one or two character trait(s).

Breadth: Variation within a character. The amount of different traits that define them and how well these interact.

Depth: How the character changes the better you know them. If your ogres are like onions, they do indeed have depth.

Height: For female characters there have always been disparity issues, unless you are Sylvanas (which maybe is where some ire stems from). I think the fanbase as a whole would like all characters within reasonable range of each other; Tyrande need to be evened up with Malfurion for instance. As for Cataclysm's npc/non-heroes: Therezane, Vanessa, etc all have shown alot of height in the plot.

Universally, the disparity is felt though in Cataclysm. Everyone are Gnome-tall compared to Felreaver Thrall's level of artificial importance.

Breadth: Hrm.. I'll come back to this one when I can think up an example..

Depth:
I seldom find female characters that offer a puzzle to unlock fascinating changes.
The story often makes this hard by bluntly reinforcing a fixed emotional states rather than a developing one. One example would be Jaina during Ice Crown Citadel, she remains weeping throughout without any developments that help us see her in a different light.

11/14/2011 10:03 PMPosted by Dallanna
Same goes for the undead streetwalker the Forsaken call a queen.

That's a low blow. She is an Elf, and undead one, but an Elf none the less. Elves tend to dress a bit more provocatively because they don't have the puritan mindset that other races do. When you live for thousands of years, you tend to see that sort of stuff in a more grown up way.

That's a low blow. She is an Elf, and undead one, but an Elf none the less. Elves tend to dress a bit more provocatively because they don't have the puritan mindset that other races do. When you live for thousands of years, you tend to see that sort of stuff in a more grown up way.

My statement still stands... and really, if Blizzard had the cajones, they'd show her what an undead humanoid is supposed to look like; fetid, rotting, maggot infested, and disgusting. Ya know, which is supposed to be a perfect reflection of her personality. Not something for teenage boys to wank over.
11/14/2011 09:39 PMPosted by Searik
Sylvanas is like the most badass character, as well as probably the most clever. Yea shes lacking in the moral department but thats why shes so doin so well. Kinda wish she got rid of those worgen though completely... stupid game mechanics...

Yeah it's too bad... otherwise you would have had a nice footholding in Felwood. ;)

My statement still stands... and really, if Blizzard had the cajones, they'd show her what an undead humanoid is supposed to look like; fetid, rotting, maggot infested, and disgusting. Ya know, which is supposed to be a perfect reflection of her personality. Not something for teenage boys to wank over.

Blizzard has explained this, in the RPG Book (though some of that stuff is not canon). She looks like that because necromancers keep her looking less rotted. The same goes for the Dark Rangers. Though, it could also just be that they are Elves, and don't "rot" the same way. Maybe the Sunwell keeps them looking more or less "healthy".
11/15/2011 04:34 PMPosted by Empathy
puritan mindset that other races do

Wait, what other races have a puritan mindset? Almost every female in Warcraft wears something that bares their assets. (Hell even Priestesses wear pretty scant clothing, there's no puritanism in Warcraft.)
if Blizzard had the cajones, they'd show her what an undead humanoid is supposed to look like; fetid, rotting, maggot infested, and disgusting. Ya know, which is supposed to be a perfect reflection of her personality. Not something for teenage boys to wank over.

It is just pure !@#$%^- fanservice if you ask me...

Blizzard has explained this, in the RPG Book (though some of that stuff is not canon). She looks like that because necromancers keep her looking less rotted. The same goes for the Dark Rangers. Though, it could also just be that they are Elves, and don't "rot" the same way. Maybe the Sunwell keeps them looking more or less "healthy".

My point still stands. In a world here a good portion of the people are carrying, swinging, hitting, cutting, and shooting sharp and damaging implements, the only reason why the designers allow Sylvanas to tart it up is for titillation, nothing else. And yes, Jaina's not exempt from this idiocy of design either.

Only a complete moron would go bare in a place like this...
Look, sadly video games, and movies, and even books, are going to show woman in less then realistic outfits. It is a fact of life, and nothing anyone says or complains about will change that. WoW at least gives you the option of dressing your females in non-reveleing outfits if you so choose.

As to why Sylvanas does this... because every other Elf female does it. Heck, even the DRAGONS do it. Even the elf males somewhat do it, but not to the female extent. They like to show their beauty off. They are known for that, and they want to flaunt it. They make up for the exposed skin with powerful magics to give them as much protection as if they were wearing full plate.

However, just because they dress like that doesn't make them any less of a character. Thats like saying Mother Teresa would have been less noble and pure if she wore some sort of Nun mini skit when she was younger. The clothes do not always effect the personality. Yes, sometimes it does, but in Sylvana's case, it does not. She Dresses like that because she wants to hold on to her past life, if only subconciously.

Also, I don't think she sees the Forsaken as tools in her arrow anymore. She really seems to care about their fate now.
I always point out that Sylvanas' is probably one of the most developed characters in-game. Although I have to agree about Tyrande. From her character she should be in Ashenvale and kicking these orcs out.

I feel she is overshadowed by Malfurion