Update character models: Who would be sad?

General Discussion
Prev 1 18 19 20 26 Next
http://i.imgur.com/REuUh.jpg

Who in their mind would pick the old model over the new one? Know imagine the same thing but for our character models.
10/22/2011 03:57 PMPosted by Stalkyou
Zarhym, you're at BlizzCon dealing with us in person and still finding time to update the forums with sizeable, well-crafted responses. How the HELL do you do it?

Cloning.

I vote time turner. Hey, it worked for Hermione!

10/23/2011 04:43 AMPosted by Theycalme
Does this mean I get to wear a full pair of pants?

Win. Sheer win. Thanks for the grin.
I would very much like to see a character revamp, especially after seeing the new Tyrande and Azshara models. I think character remodeling would be a very good use of designer's time, and I sincerely hope they work toward it for the next expansion.
i'm all for new models ^_^ just don't make my beautiful male trolls so much better that they're ugly.... would really make me a sad panda
Art Director Chris Robinson spoke on this just moments ago at the BlizzCon Open Q&A panel. It was in reply to an attendee who brought up that, in the art panel, it was explained that the pandaren model has 10 times the bone structures of the classic races, allowing for many more facial animations.

To paraphrase his statement -- which isn't too different from what I've said here on the forums before -- we absolutely plan on updating the existing models. As Chris mentioned, we want to make sure we preserve the look and feel of the original models players have come to know and love, while vastly improving their model and animation quality to be more in-line with the newer races.

We're not going to hide behind the statement that too many players will get mad if we tamper with their models, but it's a concern -- not a concern that's going to stop us from doing it, however. I want to stress as well that it's a massive undertaking to go back and do this. And to a lot of people it's something that won't be considered shiny new content. But not only do we hear the masses of players calling for this update, we really feel it's time to bring them up to par with newer models as well.

The game continues to age, but as we have no plans of slowing down on development any time in the near future, we want to keep updating and polishing it to stand the test of time (again, without sacrificing the look and feel which has brought players in over the years).

One thing that concerns me Zarhym is that when the monk class was introduced it was said that the animation people were doing a lot of monk unique animations. But since the older races had a lot less 'bones' to work with those animations may look a lot less fluid or just plain not as cool when standing next to a pandaren doing the same animation.
"Upset players" is just code for "we don't want to spend the money fixing it because people aren't going to stop playing if the characters they've been playing for seven years don't get updated".

My favorite Alliance race is dwarves, and I prefer playing female characters. PLEASE update the models!!!!
I like how as soon as a gm posts everyone starts licking his s*ck. Anyway...the character models are about 5 years out of date, the only reason bliz hasn't updated them is because we all still keep playing the game regardless.

I understand that development of in game models is a time consuming process, but blizz is a big orginization, i'm sure at some point in time they could've devoted some of their resources to updating the game models. Especialy for cata when you got goblins changing facial animations depending on what they are doing or saying, while human females still stare off into the distance while you beat on them (they're the ones that stand out the most to me, when they're looking off to your left while swinging at you).
You all look terrible against the new content, a few players like the old clunky models is not a good enough reason to keep them looking like something from runescape compared to the new technology and graphics.

We look atrocious for a game that has evolved its non player model content like it has.
Don't Updates me bro!
I like how as soon as a gm posts everyone starts licking his s*ck. Anyway...the character models are about 5 years out of date, the only reason bliz hasn't updated them is because we all still keep playing the game regardless.

I understand that development of in game models is a time consuming process, but blizz is a big orginization, i'm sure at some point in time they could've devoted some of their resources to updating the game models. Especialy for cata when you got goblins changing facial animations depending on what they are doing or saying, while human females still stare off into the distance while you beat on them (they're the ones that stand out the most to me, when they're looking off to your left while swinging at you).

yes well you can only push the old models so far, till many people will say man that game looks like cr@p because of it.

And if you think the goblins facial animations were something, wait till you see how panda animate its like 50 or so facial movements more.
-
10/23/2011 07:43 AMPosted by Jac
Don't Updates me bro!

As a femtaur I am not with you on this, please update me. If people want to look the same on their old brokedown models then at the customization screen give the option to refuse the update. Problem solved.
We're not going to hide behind the statement that too many players will get mad if we tamper with their models, but it's a concern

While it does concern me that my characters won't look exactly like I created them: 1) They never looked in game exactly as I envision them. 2) Free character re-customization would let me easily have her back at something I deem acceptable rather quickly & easily for both sides... and yes, I am aware that a SQL query to update the flag that says "re-customization authorized" active on all 12 million+ existing characters isn't really all that quick to execute, but should be easy enough to write. ^_^;;
10/23/2011 07:46 AMPosted by Mordek
when you update the models, please give us free re-customization for all our characters.

What should happen is if and when something like this goes live, the first time you log onto a toon a box pops up asking if you want to proceed with recustomization, yes to open the options, no to just continue.
With any luck we will get customizable dances and more emotes out of this.
idk about you guys but thralls new model looks amazing and should be the new male orc model http://www.wowhead.com/npc=48051#modelviewer:10+0

they actually have the right stance and aren't too hunched over.. might make garrosh look like he actually does in the loading screen picture as opposed to his oddly hunched over, pudgy, under-bitey self