Update character models: Who would be sad?

General Discussion
Prev 1 19 20 21 26 Next
10/23/2011 07:37 AMPosted by Plus
while human females still stare off into the distance while you beat on them

i don't know about you, but i like it when they aren't looking at me when i hit them with a huge axe (or even change expressions, from, let's say, a cheery smile, to an "ouch, you hit me with a friggin axe!" face)
Please feel perfectly free to Update our Characters :)

More/better expressiveness
More/Better Fighting animations
Some new dances would be nice, too - Though I understand this has been discussed and table'd..

..and for the record - I am not the least bit worried about Blizzard messing up the look/feel.

Though I do have one question that's bugged me ever since the original game:

Why, oh Why... do Boobies bounce... through plate armor? <laugh>
I'd love to see updated models. Heck, I'd even settle for higher resolution textures for the current models.
Zarhym
Community Manager

We're not going to hide behind the statement that too many players will get mad if we tamper with their models, but it's a concern

Why not just make a graphics option for detailed character models? Then you can switch to the updated model if you want, and if there's any folks who like the old school look they can just choose not to use that feature in the options menu.

Solution: Don't "Update" the models, but allow us to pick between our current models and some nice, new up-to-date models. One time free chance to change our character look. Those that like the old models can keep them, the rest of us can get shiny new ones.
are they joking? they have to be. lolz my main character's butt looks way to big in a dress, which is why i am going to transmog to a pair of pants as soon as i can. lolz plus she runs like a friggin line backer!

not to mention that male humans need facial hair. they most of the males are built like apes. lol the humans and orcs look like it in the face too. male humans can at least hide this with facial hair. :P
Yea, after seeing what they've done to some of the new NPC models, I have faith anything Blizzard did on this would be an improvement. >.>
on the opposite extreme. night elf females have no butt at all. it looks weird because they do have hips.
I would not be sad, and I hope greater options are given, and certain races are brought to where they should have been.

Example:

Night Elves. They're supposed to be a little more fierce, considering both their ethnic background and their current and previous strong behaviours.

I'd love to see nelves get their slight vampire teeth, and to have some awesome earring choices for them.

Couple pics:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/media/artwork/warcraft3?keywords=&view#/wc3-night-elf
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/media/wallpapers/races?view#/night-elves1
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/media/artwork/warcraft3?keywords=&view#/wc3-night-elf

i have this as my wallpaper ^_^
The problem with this, is, some people will like the new remodels, and some will dislike them.

i.e. Mists of Pandaria. Some people like it, others dislike it.

This is always the case, just like Cataclysm, WoTLK, TBC and even Orgrimmar and Stormwind city updates.

By creating this thread it is doubtful that you will change Blizzard's mind, and I know that this is not the point of this thread.

Good luck, though.
The problem with this, is, some people will like the new remodels, and some will dislike them.

Guess what, some people like the models now and some people don't. What else is new?

Gamers like graphics. We can talk about how gameplay trumps graphics all the time, but really they are intrinsically linked. If WoW is to continue they should update their graphics. They can innovate the gameplay until they are blue in the face, but they will be overtaken by newer games if the game still LOOKS like it's from 2001.
TL:DR No idea why they didn't just say 'we can add in a graphics option to toggle them off or on per player'. Everquest 1 did it years ago.
10/22/2011 03:50 PMPosted by Ranaulf
Does this include the 'new' races? Most specifically, redoing female worgen?

I'm still hoping for that kitsune style we saw in the concept arts back in 2009.

And …i'd like more polygons on ma' beard! :P
Art Director Chris Robinson spoke on this just moments ago at the BlizzCon Open Q&A panel. It was in reply to an attendee who brought up that, in the art panel, it was explained that the pandaren model has 10 times the bone structures of the classic races, allowing for many more facial animations.

To paraphrase his statement -- which isn't too different from what I've said here on the forums before -- we absolutely plan on updating the existing models. As Chris mentioned, we want to make sure we preserve the look and feel of the original models players have come to know and love, while vastly improving their model and animation quality to be more in-line with the newer races.

We're not going to hide behind the statement that too many players will get mad if we tamper with their models, but it's a concern -- not a concern that's going to stop us from doing it, however. I want to stress as well that it's a massive undertaking to go back and do this. And to a lot of people it's something that won't be considered shiny new content. But not only do we hear the masses of players calling for this update, we really feel it's time to bring them up to par with newer models as well.

The game continues to age, but as we have no plans of slowing down on development any time in the near future, we want to keep updating and polishing it to stand the test of time (again, without sacrificing the look and feel which has brought players in over the years).

Would it be possible to have an option for players to use the new or old models via a client-side toggle? That way you can please both sides. :)
There are 20 pages, so I didn't read through all of them, so I don't know if this was said (though I'm sure it was)
I think they should update them, not change the art, but also add options; more hair, more faces, more "earrings", face markings, tusks, etc.
And why would it upset those of us who play troll females? We might be able to blink one day! I mean really, my eyes are on fire.
I think it's difficult to get any true answers from a poll like this before changes are made. Of course everyone would love to see the character models updated, however it would be after the changes are made that they could feel like it's "too different" or unfamiliar from what they've become attached to over the course of many years.