Theramore in flames: Horde favoritism. pt. 2

General Discussion
Prev 1 141 142 143 251 Next
I propose Blizz not release any more info about Mists until it's in Beta.

It's pretty sad to see all this uproar over nothing.
People are sad. But unfortunately, if it isn't this, it will be something else. People will sift through anything to find something they can feel validated in complaining about.
How is the alliance getting painted as a heroic underdog?? I haven't seen that quest/story in the game... I havent seen our leaders go I know we are losing now but we will come back from this! I see leaders go oh we lost another thing to the horde how about we try peace while we go kill this evil doer in the world, huh you mean to tell me while killing random x baddy the horde took another place of ours? ON WARD TO FIRELANDS WE AND THE HORDE SHALL DESTORY THE FIRELORD!!

No matter how you look at it the Alliance side of Cata was done poorly some zones quest line ends suddenly with little to no detail of what actually happened. Andorhal Alliance kill lots of stuff then are told we are losing the city retreat heres your reward. And thats it nothing eles happens with it its like the alliance forgets it compeletly. Southern Barrens is an all out war and it then just ends for the alliance nothing really is settled did we lose in the Barrens did that little wall/tent outpost fall??

I dont personally care that the Horde win x amount of things in Cata im upset that the Alliance is doing nothing in this expansion!
Equal would be burning an important horde objective to the ground. Not wiping out an entire faction.

I still want to see stonard burn to the ground. Maybe they could show the Alliance at least trying to retaliate during the pre-MoP world even by finishing what we started.

I mean considering its the first orc settlment made in Azeroth how much more fitting would it be to detroy it. Plus it would create some parity if all mages lose the the non capital faction portal.
For the Horde!

Horde player since 2005, here. Just stopping in to say that if you Alliance don't like being second best (you always have been and always will be) then feel free to reroll or quit.

I'm sorry that I had to be the one to point out that you chose the wrong faction. Thanks for shopping, and have a fantastic evening ;)
10/28/2011 06:20 PMPosted by Zerde
Equal would be burning an important horde objective to the ground. Not wiping out an entire faction.

I still want to see stonard burn to the ground. Maybe they could show the Alliance at least trying to retaliate during the pre-MoP world even by finishing what we started.

I mean considering its the first orc settlment made in Azeroth how much more fitting would it be to detroy it. Plus it would create some parity if all mages lose the the non capital faction portal.
Those aren't the only ones.
Ok listen Zarhym, all these QQ'ers need to stop, they dont understand that you have stated the answear to their issues about 20 times. just because we destroy Theramore doesnt me the alliance wont hit us back, and the wording you used about hillsbrad made me think that might be the alliance move? i dont know, but if people would read what youre saying and stop complaining, they could tell that this is going to be the start of something big. I think, Zarhym, you should stop listening to these !@#$% complain, and move on! I cannot wait for the horde and alliance to finally start punching eachother, our butting heads have gone on for too long. FOR THE HORDE!!

(Seariously, stop complainig and let the story go where it goes, i can tell this will be quite an amazing xpack)

also i apologize for my spelling, im in the middle of a raid >.<
I think one of the most important lessons to be learned here is that the community should never be told anything ahead of time, because it will always be entirely misconstrued and over-inflated.

Without knowing the context of the attack on Theramore, nor of knowing the resulting actions from the Alliance, you sincerely have no grounds to be so up-in-arms. While it may be true that the attack on Theramore is a decisive win for the current horde battle plan, you have no idea the ways in which this will cause the Alliance to retaliate.

Ultimately, the story of Warcraft is the story of war, and war is not balanced and it is not equal. While I do apologize that you all have no further information to go on other than the fact that your town is being attacked, all the outrage is looking at a very small picture.

In wars, there will be wins and there will be losses, but really, there must be both, and for a story to be interesting and compelling, loss must exist. If the Alliance is to lose this base for the sake of the story, then so be it.

If you really wish for everything to be so equal, the narrative will become so formulaic that it isn't worth your attention.

It is important to remember that this game follows a story that is already written in the long-term, but is being revealed in chapters. In regards to the Theramore information, it seems as though somebody skipped ahead a bunch of pages and ruined one, but not all of the surprises, for everybody.

What I am personally hoping for with the attack on Theramore is a re-unification of the remaining human kingdoms. This means that Kul'Tiras may be reincorporated into Azeroth, that there may be a re-taking of Gilneas, and lots of other cool stuff that has yet to be revealed.

They mentioned at Blizzcon that Varian will be undergoing a "Labours of Hercules" to prove once and for all that he is not only a powerful human leader, but also fit to be the figurehead of the entire Alliance. Does it not stand to reason that the attack on Theramore would be a wonderful catalyst to unite the Alliance further, which could drive a larger wedge between the already splintering Horde?

Your day is sure to come--you just have to wait for it.
Garrosh is a winner
Horde player since 2005, here. Just stopping in to say that if you Alliance don't like being second best (you always have been and always will be) then feel free to reroll or quit.

I'm sorry that I had to be the one to point out that you chose the wrong faction. Thanks for shopping, and have a fantastic evening ;)

Poster like him doesnt exactly make it feel better. Yes maybe the horde will get its come up-pens and maybe it will be worse than the loss of Theramore, unfortunately due to the medium of storytelling it will probable take years to find that out.
The alliance quests were epic. What are you guys on about?
Alliance leaders have received some attention this expansion as well. Malfurion has returned, and the dwarven factions have unified in Ironforge. Not much has happened with the Draenei leader but at least I know who he is, unlike the Bloodelves. (I have no clue who leads them)
You do see some of Malfurion as you're leveling as an alliance. He's basically holding the world together in Darkshore in a similar way that Thrall did.

I'm not sure if this next part is told as if each faction did it. However, in Badlands as an Alliance hero I rescued and purified a black dragon egg creating the only uncorrupted black dragon in existence, who is about to play a pivotal role in the final encounter of the expansion.

Lastly, the alliance has their own A-team. And a man who wrestled a dragon with his bare hands and won.
10/28/2011 04:59 PMPosted by Zarhym
If you don't think there will be repercussions for that in an expansion largely based on the fight between the Horde and Alliance in post-Cataclysm Azeroth, you're probably focusing way too much on being unable to draw direct and equivalent plays for dominance and time in the limelight between the Horde and Alliance

All we are asking is that the story be worth telling. Not some petty squabble fight that won't matter to much or some other reason to get the horde Thrall back (which doesn't matter if they do to me). We just want/need something that will rally the Alliance, to make it so WE (as Alliance players) feel great about OUR faction again. Not just some means to an end to tell Horde their story. The only people who can do that is Blizzard; they are the only ones that can let us have this story.
10/28/2011 04:59 PMPosted by Zarhym
Yea, I went there. I really, truly need a weekend, 'cause I didn't get one last week.

Yay for work :P

(been there)

The problem is that it's getting to the point where equivilent retaliation is going to mean nothing less than wiping the horde out. Which isn't going to happen.
Uh. No. You're trying to set it up for failure is what you're doing. Why on earth would it mean wiping the horde out? Is the horde wiping the alliance out? That is nowhere near equal. Equal would be burning an important horde objective to the ground. Not wiping out an entire faction.

Look at the grand scheme of things. The Horde has been aggresively attacking the Alliance since Howling Fjord. At pretty much every turn, the Horde has been unambigously victorious. The Closest the alliance has come to victory in the game was burning Camp Turajo, which got painted as a war crime, and the Horde retaliated by destroying the oldest dwarf settlement on the continent. Momentum in a story is important. Extreme momentum can only be overcome with extreme force.

Put it this way, if two fighters just fought each other for 2 minutes, there'd be some pain, possibly some blood, but both people would be standing. If a fighter just gets to wail on someone for two minutes, odds are, they'll kill the person. If the person being beat somehow manages to overcome their injuries and inflict equal damage upon their attacker, there's nothing stopping them from simply finishing off the attacker who is now too weak to defend themselves from a person near death.

By allowing momentum to get out of control, you let the story get out of control.
10/28/2011 06:20 PMPosted by Zerde

I'm pretty sure Stonard was burning when I left it. I could be thinking of something else though. I know there were dead orcs everywhere. I'm confident that the Alliance won the skirmish in Swamp of Sorrows.
Even wars must end. By the sword, by the pen, or by the sun going out. All wars will end.
10/28/2011 06:23 PMPosted by Rodo
They mentioned at Blizzcon that Varian will be undergoing a "Labours of Hercules" to prove once and for all that he is not only a powerful human leader, but also fit to be the figurehead of the entire Alliance. Does it not stand to reason that the attack on Theramore would be a wonderful catalyst to unite the Alliance further, which could drive a larger wedge between the already splintering Horde?

My questions is why is Theramore oh so more improtant to Varian then the Horde using the plague in Southshore, you know the same plague they used at wrathgate that he went crazy about and attacked the undercity hell bent on killing every horde in the city and reclaiming it? Or the fact that Sylvannas as turned her self into a mini LK and is raising human soldiers as forsaken?

Why weren't these good enough issues for Varian to finally blow a fuse of war? To me from what we have seen in the story of Varian so far this would enrage him to no end, yet he has done nothing about it.
The alliance quests were epic. What are you guys on about?
Alliance leaders have received some attention this expansion as well. Malfurion has returned, and the dwarven factions have unified in Ironforge. Not much has happened with the Draenei leader but at least I know who he is, unlike the Bloodelves. (I have no clue who leads them)
You do see some of Malfurion as you're leveling as an alliance. He's basically holding the world together in Darkshore in a similar way that Thrall did.

Exactly. Not to mention we destroyed Taurajo, and had some truly epic victories in Darkshore and Ashenvale. Oh, yeah, and there was an entire raid tier and content patch devoted to Night Elf lore. But since Thrall appeared in a quest chain in that patch, I suppose none of that counts.
Every time I ran Kara with my wife and she would get transformed into a Worgen she would squeal with excitement. Cata comes around, and Alliance get a new race, Worgen!

Don't tell me Horde favoritism when you got the most epic race of all time with an amazing back story and we got the fluff silly race. I had to work really hard to keep that woman Horde, what RL impact does losing Theramore have on you? :P
10/28/2011 06:27 PMPosted by Slewth

I'm pretty sure Stonard was burning when I left it. I could be thinking of something else though. I know there were dead orcs everywhere. I'm confident that the Alliance won the skirmish in Swamp of Sorrows.

They did, but the Alliance retreated after siezing Stonard's supplies. They didn't burn the outpost down for... some reason.

The town is still standing. And the quest basically said, "hey we cant destroy this town so we will try to just contain it". Not exactly the most heroic of victories.

They did, but the Alliance retreated after siezing Stonard's supplies. They didn't burn the outpost down for... some reason.

I think the whole stonard thing has lead to this discussion. Had we been allowed to destroy that damn place I certain feel alot better. I mean its residents were outnumbered, there reinforcement cut and yet still managed to hold out? That leaves a bad taste in my mouth.