Theramore in flames: Horde favoritism. pt. 2

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 251 Next
I'm glad that idiot Jaina Proudmoore will finally see how blind she's been.
10/23/2011 11:20 PMPosted by Slaeyn
I'm glad that idiot Jaina Proudmoore will finally see how blind she's been.

Agreed. Perhaps her character can be redeemed. She doesn't have Arthas to cry about anymore. And Thrall has "left" the horde to save the world. her city is about to be burned.

It's about time she do something than stop Varian from lopping off Sylvanas' head when he had the chance.
10/23/2011 11:02 PMPosted by Zarhym
If you wanna make an omelette...

YOU GOTTA CRACK SOME SKULLS!!!!

...with exception to the floating ones of course ^_^`
These threads are amusing and really shows how well knee-jerk reactions can catch like wild fire.

I get the impression that everyone who is bothered by this feels as though the Alliance will simply tuck-tail back to Stormwind and cry while that scurry Horde keeps leveling alliance zone after zone without consequences to their actions and that'll be that for the expansion.

However, Varian is quite happy with being mad as a hatter when it comes to killing Orcs on a good day so you think this first strike will go unanswered without absolutely massive repercussions for the Horde?

You guys really need to have some faith in your faction and look ahead at what this one action will do as whole rather than as one event.

Well, that's what happened in cata. So there is a STRONG precedence that that is what will happen.
So, at BlizzCon we provided a few details about a new expansion and how it's going to have an ever-growing focus on the fight between the Horde and the Alliance in the wake of dispelling many very powerful threats to all of Azeroth. Then we find out a vague detail that some sort of unrelenting attack by the Horde on Theramore is to come. The Horde, to remind you, is currently a faction with an overzealous ruler and significant turmoil among their faction leaders; while the Alliance has almost never been quite so unified and far removed from the days of imprisoning orcs.

The first pawn on the chess board of what is to be the story for Mists of Pandaria is being moved, and you're angry at whose turn is first? I only offer that maybe there's a little more to the Horde and Alliance story lines in Mists than an Alliance town being leveled... like the entire expansion story you don't know about yet. ;)

No, what we are angry about is that you have our faction leaders call us wrong for being upset with the Horde. Even if its not outright said, its damn sure the feeling it gave off.

What we are angry about is you paint the Alliance as weak, bigoted, and stupid.

We are upset that you make the Horde so overwhelmingly awesome, even when their grand plan fails, they still manage to kick the !@#$ out of the Alliance, even when they are facing 6+ boats worth of allied Alliance forces more than what was planned on.

You've gutted the Alliance leadership, and whats worse, you can't even write the Alliance without even turning them into the Horde with the whole "One Ruler" thing you keep pushing.

But hey, at least you guys are going to get to have fun with your "High King"... Despite the fact that it shatters the concept of the Alliance. No ifs, ands or buts. No wait and see the story... It shatters the Alliance.

But still.. I enjoy omlettes, even if I don't like some of the ingredients.

I only ask that you remember the recipe, and don't drop the eggs when it calls for them.
So, at BlizzCon we provided a few details about a new expansion and how it's going to have an ever-growing focus on the fight between the Horde and the Alliance in the wake of dispelling many very powerful threats to all of Azeroth. Then we find out a vague detail that some sort of unrelenting attack by the Horde on Theramore is to come. The Horde, to remind you, is currently a faction with an overzealous ruler and significant turmoil among their faction leaders; while the Alliance has almost never been quite so unified and far removed from the days of imprisoning orcs.

The first pawn on the chess board of what is to be the story for Mists of Pandaria is being moved, and you're angry at whose turn is first? I only offer that maybe there's a little more to the Horde and Alliance story lines in Mists than an Alliance town being leveled... like the entire expansion story you don't know about yet. ;)

Oh, I'm sorry.

I must be playing a different World of Warcraft where the horde gave tons of reasons for the Alliance to go to war without Theramore being destroyed.
What if in retaliation something with Feathermoon Stronghold occurs?

I mean they are sitting on the other side of Kalimdor, Shandris is amassing her Sentinals and war machines.

now I know there isn't much in Feralas, Horde wise, that one camp that is not in a good spot. And even if they did march across Feralas, they are greeted with Thousand Puddles. So really it would probably be weird moves to say the least. Besides, Night Elves and Tauren tolerate each other. I am partial to Tauren myself.

I don't know... Just seems fishy to have her amassing there, when it appears to be no where to go. Something has to come of it, in my opinion. Maybe load it all into boats and start an invasion somewhere?
You must be a time traveler from Cataclysm Beta, because that's the exact same B.S. we heard back then too. And *SPOILER ALERT* that's exactly what happened.

I'm sorry that you cannot see the forest through the trees and that the very nature of the next expansion is dead center around the Horde vs Alliance as opposed to what it is now.

For starters, I am sure there is a very specific reason as to why Theramore was chosen as the first strike as it also happens to have Jaina which will, coincidentally, be given a much larger role in MoP as confirmed at Blizzcon and will put an interesting spin on how she will feel about the new Horde now that Thrall is no longer associated with them.

Forest through the trees...

To get all defensive and up-in-arms about being struck first by a faction who calls Garrosh Hellscream their Warchief is terribly silly.
10/23/2011 11:02 PMPosted by Zarhym
The first pawn on the chess board of what is to be the story for Mists of Pandaria is being moved, and you're angry at whose turn is first?

It's actually more like watching someone systematically move all of their pieces across the board one by one while your told "it's not your turn yet."

The entirety of Cataclysm's story with regards to the Horde-Alliance conflict has been nothing but Horde victories.
Every. Single. One.

Even in the areas that the Alliance did win, they still lost because they turned tail and ran away with no rhyme nor reason given. Beyond that, most of the significant ones also happened off-screen (Southshore, Arathi Basin, Warsong, and Azshara) so we don't even get to see the Alliance being beaten like puppies who pooed on the carpet.
10/23/2011 11:24 PMPosted by Ferlion
But hey, at least you guys are going to get to have fun with your "High King"... Despite the fact that it shatters the concept of the Alliance. No ifs, ands or buts. No wait and see the story... It shatters the Alliance.

You know the fate of the Alliance more than the developers do, Ferlion? That's quite an impressive skill!
10/23/2011 11:27 PMPosted by Baranar
For starters, I am sure there is a very specific reason as to why Theramore was chosen as the first strike as it also happens to have Jaina which will, coincidentally, be given a much larger role in MoP as confirmed at Blizzcon and will put an interesting spin on how she will feel about the new Horde now that Thrall is no longer associated with them.

Oh god... more Jaina and Varian? Metzen's aware that there are other Alliance characters who need face time right? It's been Jaina and Varian for two expansions now, with MoP being the third.
I'm wondering how they could have gone about starting the heated conflict in MoP and yet not make anyone upset.

I'm sure that if the Alliance had attacked a Horde settlement there would be a similar thread complaining about the Horde being made into victims, and how the Alliance were being made into antagonists.

And yet Horde pick 95% of the fights and have destoryed about a 1000 times more alliance things than alliance has of horde since the beginning of Warcraft... Horde claims to be noble and yet idolizes the heroes of the "old" Horde... Sorry but the Horde has never changed and are still evil but without the excuse of demonic corruption... Thrall was the only thing that gave their change of heart some kind of credibility but he left... The alliance doesn't really need anymore motivation to outright bulldoze the lot of them...

i'm not sure why you even care, it is most likely you'll be sitting in orgrimmar or stormwind anyway, who cares really?
What's the second move? Maybe you can burn down darkshore next, that would be really epic. Perhaps we could for the second move have duskwallow get plagued by sylvanis, she hasn't done anything for a few months. Or maybe we can cut to the chase and burn down the rest of stormwind. That would be really big. Oh the possibilities!

Last time you sold the moving narative thing the only thing that happened is I helped thrall get married. You say one thing, but the only thing that happens is more alliance screwing.

Oh please, work with me here. :)

In Cataclysm, desperate times call for desperate measures. And that impact was not equal and 1:1 as far as Alliance and Horde went. The Warcraft universe, at its core, is based on the rivalry between two vastly different factions. To make sure they have shared hardships -- equal ups and downs at each interval -- is pretty boring and severely limits the character development of the leaders on both sides. And it leaves the story with a lack of momentum for building good content.

The Cataclysm only ignited a new flame between the Horde and the Alliance, as each side approached recovering from the crisis in very different ways. But they have something much more pressing to focus on in this expansion: helping Thrall and the Dragon Aspects kill Deathwing and his followers. They provide the overarching and primary conflict in Cataclysm that needs to be dealt with, not the fighting between the Horde and Alliance.

But once Deathwing goes and a new land of opportunity is discovered, who rebuilds, who explores, who defends and protects their people, and who seeks the pride of a conqueror?

Man Zarhym. I like you. I respect you. I wish I had gotten to meet you at BlizzCon.

But considering the fact that the Horde has gotten to make the last 10 moves in this Chess Match, and now gets to "Capture our Queen" so to speak (In that Theramore is our 2nd largest city, perhaps our most iconic, and our best strategic resource on Kalimdor) on their 11th move in a row, could you perhaps maybe understand why we might get a bit restless?

I understand you got more coming. I understand you don't want to reveal it cuz, spoilers.

But it's still pretty discouraging. We just spent a whole expansion getting beat down. The fact that the next expansion's gonna start like this is gonna get us a little skittish.
10/23/2011 11:30 PMPosted by Woodwind

You know the fate of the Alliance more than the developers do, Ferlion? That's quite an impressive skill!

The Alliance was a group of separate kingdoms banding together in an ALLIANCE.. Not handing over power. The whole High King thing implies that he is the King of the Alliance. Which, you know.. Alliance... Kinda removes the concept of them all having one king.
10/23/2011 11:30 PMPosted by Woodwind
You know the fate of the Alliance more than the developers do, Ferlion?

The Alliance was fracturing in the current book. Velen and the Draenei are borderline outcasts, Tyrande has been relegated to being worthless eye candy, and Varian is as ragingly bullheaded and self-destructive as he ever is. Genn is a werewolf. not exactly sure where they're going with that for him, and the Co3H is so wrapped up in inheritance issues that the only thing they're contributing to is some lawyer's bank roll.