Operation : Loremaster

Quests
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
Westfall and Redridge in the books.

01/09/2012 07:29 PMPosted by Elena
You can potentially increase the level you arrive at Cata content by doing quests by level

Not just cata. Everything beyond the first secondary zone you do, you will have a level advantage. By time I went to BMI, I was already 24. I'm 27 now and I have yet to do Loch Modan. Which means I'll be 27 (MAYBE 28) by time I get to my first 20-25 zone. I can't wait to see what level I am by time I first step into outland.
I've been poking around Hellfire tonight, and a nifty tip for Alliance (but not for Horde.)

Behind Thrallmar, there's a goblin that has a chain of four quests:
http://www.wowhead.com/quest=10236

It's quite possible for Alliance to neglect it since you'd think it's a Horde quest - especially since the Thrallmar and Honor Hold quests are quite parallel in design. But it is indeed neutral, and a great chance to do http://www.wowhead.com/quest=9355 at the same time!
Even when I'm not going for loremaster, I'm sure to at least do his first quest. I haven't met a server yet where 5 fel iron ore wasn't so valuable that it was worth the pit stop.
Now, a question for planning ahead. I intend to do the Horde version of Loremaster with the Cata changes, just as I'm doing with this character here. I know this character will be a shaman named Roheline. The question is: orc or troll - and why do you think it would make a better lore-seeker? :)

The question of why Roheline is thusly answered: both this character and the shaman would be named after Estonian words for colours. Kollane is yellow; roheline is green. I also have a DK named Valkoinen (Finnish for white.) Yes, I do take the "regular word in interesting language" approach to names sometimes.
Loch Modan done. That's all of the 10-20 zones. Now I get to start the 20-25s.
http://ghostsofmidnight.com/Lorecraft/2012/01/13/searing-gorge/ bump for update.

People are talking about overleveling the content zones. You can tell by my current level I am well over the end of Vanilla level but I still have three zones left to finish. I expect to be 62 going into BC, 70+ ish going into WTOLK and 85 before I ever start cata.

If you do this you actually get a massive gold dump from all the Cata quests if that is what you are into.

Some people are saying that loremaster is a massive waste of time because it is a time sink with only a title and talbard as reward. I agree a bit that there should be a good mount reward because it is a significant amount of time to get it done. However I don't think it is any worse of a time sink then say the insane rep title. And even more if you like learning about the lore of WoW and the fairly substantial back story of the game then doing these quests is a great way to go through it all. For a retired raider such as myself it is a great way to continue to play the game.

Shout out to Drushku and good luck.
Got through Hellfire and a bit into Zangar over the past couple days.

For Hellfire, it turns out that the goblin behind Thrallmar really does "loosen things up" a bit for Alliance: the goblins at the crashed zeppelin were the last part I did there, and I already had the quest achievement by then.

Edit, adding question:

How do y'all plan on handling the Aldor and Scryers?
01/13/2012 01:43 PMPosted by Kollanie
How do y'all plan on handling the Aldor and Scryers?

So long as you have one or the other, I don't think it much matters. I know aldor get one more quest from shat, but starting and ending in shat, I doubt it counts towards loremaster in any way. If anything, I think it was made that way for rep purposes since scryer rep items drop significantly more than aldor.
01/14/2012 02:22 AMPosted by Dushkup
So long as you have one or the other, I don't think it much matters. I know aldor get one more quest from shat, but starting and ending in shat, I doubt it counts towards loremaster in any way. If anything, I think it was made that way for rep purposes since scryer rep items drop significantly more than aldor.

Awesome! Scryers are so yucky; and it's been my personal experience that Aldor items drop more often... at least, until Netherstorm with blood elves being everywhere.

Just finished Zangarmarsh... and other than breadcrumbs out, one drop quest, and one Sporeggar quest (requires honoured rep, and used to require exalted,) I had to do pretty much everything. And I thought Nagrand was tight...

Withered Basidium is what I didn't get - if you want to look for it, it's found only on "Withered Giants" in the Dead Mire.
Wetlands in the books. I dinged 31 before I was finished with my first 20-25 zone. Unreal.

[EDIT]
I'm looking forward to being able to use old world flight to do old world quests lickity split.

[EDIT2]
Duskwood now in the books as well.

[EDIT3]
Ashenvale down now too. Hit exalted with Darnassus at the same time as last Ashenvale quest. I believe that's all the 20-25 and I'm already 33.

[EDIT4]
North Stranglethorn complete.

[EDIT5]
Arathi Highlands down.

[EDIT6]
Stonetalon Mountains done. That's it for the 25-30 zones. I'm 37 now. I think my lead closed a bit just because arathi is only 18 quests. But there are four 30-35 zones, so I think I'll probably open the lead back up.
I have two level 85s but didn't do Loremaster with either of them. I am working on it with this toon and I'm finding it to be an enjoyable experience. I'm at level 66 and I'm just about halfway through Zangarmarsh.
Trying to force my way through Alliance Kalimdor quests is a pain...

The amount of 'do 3 things at said location, go back, now go to new area and do another 3 things' threatens to derail my efforts
Un'goro update:

http://ghostsofmidnight.com/Lorecraft/2012/01/16/ungoro-crater/

Elena I hear you when it comes to those old style quests of do three things, run to NPC, then run back to same spot to do three other quests. I wish the team had really gone through and found all these quests and turned them into auto turn in quests. Nothing is perfect though.
Finished Desolace last night, my first 30-35 zone. It got me to level 40. Feels good being able to epic mount now.

[EDIT]
Finished Southern Barrens. Hit exalted with SW early into it. Am 41 now.
Have recently returned to doing this project. Took some time to focus on my mains and get the bad taste of the first portions of Outland out of my system. Blades Edge in particular is really just a long boring grind and I'm so glad to be done with that place.

I would highly, highly suggest you do not go there without picking up any 'Talk To Mor'dorg [or whoever the ogre is that opens Ogrila chains]quests. One is avaliable in Lower City near the QM. There are 2 total I think and both should count towards loremaster and will save you at least 1 hour worth of grinding those stupid apexis crystal shards to complete Ogria quests to make up for not having his simple 'talk to him' quests. I did not have those and I really was made to regret it.

The other starter areas for Outland are bleh as everyone pretty much knows so I saved Netherstorm and Shadowmoon for last and am exp off again until I complete them. At the very least they have great stories [the ghost town in Netherstorm and Guldan in Shadowmoon] so it should be interesting again.

Absolute best of luck to you all and remember if you feel like you are beating your head against a wall go do something else for a while, you will thank yourself later.

Elena I hear you when it comes to those old style quests of do three things, run to NPC, then run back to same spot to do three other quests. I wish the team had really gone through and found all these quests and turned them into auto turn in quests. Nothing is perfect though.

Actually I was referring to the style of quests now, previously you could at least take 5-10 quests, go out and finish them and come back. Some have sequels, but most aren't as bad as the '3 things at location A, repeat at Location B and C' style now

Wetlands is a notorious example with no coherent story tie in with any of the other zones connected.

And gently curse you Arathi Highlands, a 10 year old kid must have revamped you (Alliance side)
Terokkar down; and it honestly felt like I had to do everything. Skettis seems to not count (in your q-log, it's its own zone.) Not sure about the Sal'salabim quests in the first Altruis chain - they might be Nagrand, to whence I head now. :D
01/09/2012 07:11 PMPosted by Aukon
Having "Loremaster" next to your avatar's name is hardly worth the time invested without another worthwhile reward to go with it like a unique mount etc. Its a massive time sink for a title, when you can pay as little as 1000g for a title like shattered sun? I feel sorry for players who spend an exhaustive amount of time for a tabard that looks like you've been sick down the front of it. What a pathetic reward Blizzard why don't you show your players some more respect.

I'm doing Loremaster on this character too.

You got it wrong if you think that the point of doing Loremaster is to pursuit an achievement for the achievement or the tabard, or even the title.

The motivation, at least for me, is to play the game, to follow the story and all the content that was developed for the players. The reason I play WoW and no other game is because of its Lore, and what better way to explore the lore than seeking Loremaster.

I did that on a toon, didn't go to outland till kali/eastern was done etc. Was fun and you really don't see the title that often or people just choose not to use it because they'd rather be called champion of frozen wastes or whatever 99% of the population is wearing that day.
01/25/2012 05:39 AMPosted by Shockandawe
I did that on a toon, didn't go to outland till kali/eastern was done etc. Was fun and you really don't see the title that often or people just choose not to use it because they'd rather be called champion of frozen wastes or whatever 99% of the population is wearing that day.

Mhmm, it's awesome.

Nagrand mostly down, by the way: 64/75. This will be accounted for by:
-Second Altruis chain (requires some action in Shadowmoon Valley)
-Ring of Blood (not affected by the Elite nerf - still as group-5 tuned as ever!)

So tabling it for now and moving on to Blades Edge.