Save Alterac Valley!

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 13 Next
It's time to retire older BGs that make no sense in the story any longer and push new battleground concepts.

We won't get anything new until they decide to dump a few or make their availability rarer (holiday type events)
11/09/2011 08:01 PMPosted by Khayla
This is likely to be a far more effective method of getting attention than the Adopt-A-Turtle campaign as the latter was pretty much just antagonising a large proportion of the player base with no real impact on the developers.

Yes.

Let's just sweep that one under the rug, shall we?
I miss the old AV :(

I support this thread!
With high resilience and multitude of healers, sitting in FoS for 2 hours isn't something you want to look forward to.

Look, I love old AV too, but it will never be the same it was back then. Accept it.
11/10/2011 08:32 AMPosted by Hixson
Accept it.

This is how bad things happen.

Besides, Blizzard has changed their minds in the past.
11/10/2011 10:50 AMPosted by Foury
Accept it.

This is how bad things happen.

Besides, Blizzard has changed their minds in the past.

Like I said - if they bring it back, it wont be as awesome as it was back then. That's what we have to accept.

As far as actually bringing it back, I think they will at some point considering so many people want it so.
The Alterac Valley turtle will forever live on in my heart.
Like I said - if they bring it back, it wont be as awesome as it was back then. That's what we have to accept.

As far as actually bringing it back, I think they will at some point considering so many people want it so.

Ah, I misunderstood.

No, it will never be exactly the same, but then again that's not quite what we're asking for. If elite NPC's came back and reinforcements were scrapped, then it would have more or less the same spirit as Classic AV.

We don't want to simply go back to the way it was, though - there are some issues that need to be fixed. For instance, Ivus/Lokholar should not be kiteable by a single player, the teleport trinket (SP/FW Insignia) should be changed to a tabard and put players behind their bunker instead of in the middle of a swarm of enemies.

Using what they know now, Blizzard ought to be able to bring back the feel of Classic AV with some new quality-of-life updates. It's got to be AV though. We can't accept a new BG that's "epic like AV" because then AV would still be broken. Plus, the last time we were promised a truly epic battleground was Isle of Wallquest.
Remember back in the old days you had to BG 24/7 just so you can maintain your rankings for ladder, and if some idiot in your raid accidentally kills a guard in southshore you would lose an entire rank?

I don't miss the 17 hour AVS.

What I do miss is Ice Lord Lokholar trampling down the fields making mince meat out of players -- packs of frost wolf riders razing havoc on others -- those pesky war riders bombarding the fields with bombs and alike.

These need to be implemented again in some form or another.

I was able to summon in a lower level AV, and it blew people's minds. lol

In 85, the matches are just too fast. A good turtle and clash on the Field makes it possible to do the summons... also possible to actually build rep via handins. I think removing resources and increasing cap times would help make AV a little more like it should be (IMHO).
Foury you sir are a hero of the people for trying to get this id have to say most fun and interesting bg that blizzard has ever made restored to what it once was :) ty so much and yes letter mailed and sent
O and for every one saying that omg its gonna take to long its supposed to simulate a full out war between alliance and horde. I do not think war takes breaks that is why in the letter it says to take it out of the random bg bracket and only on q basis all that stuff would be awesome if they brought it back it would bring back allot of the pvpers back to wow if they re did AV like it use to be. With the simulation of a full on war and such. Any ways that is my piece on this i wish they would our letters with be used to stoke there winter fires i am sure but its all ways going to be a no unless you ask :) .
11/11/2011 06:20 AMPosted by Adjudicator
2) You cannot capture any GY's/towers north of Icewing/SHB, until Icewing, SHB, SHGY are destroyed/owned by Horde and Belinda is dead. Destroying IWB/SHB removes the guards around Belinda and nerfs her HP and damage. THE EXACT SAME applies to the Horde side.

This kind of system feels artificial to me. I would much rather have the elite NPC's brought back so that a team must dedicate more players to capture an individual bunker (thus slowing the rate at which they can move toward the enemy base).

The idea that loot is generated automatically is interesting, but sometimes its better to have a few people dedicated to turn-ins than have everybody gather a few materials. What about free-for-all looting instead? Just a thought.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3424907465
"A 'Brief' History of AV"
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2952885503
11/12/2011 03:25 AMPosted by Foury
This kind of system feels artificial to me.

Although it would be more natural than if, say, siege walls were installed (which I am appalled to say some people have actually suggested). Still, I'm in favour of bringing back the NPC's.
11/12/2011 03:47 AMPosted by Normie
Would it be popular? I don't know. It could be made a max-level instance where you can grind a little conquest. That would increase the audience.

There's nothing wrong with adding a little incentive, but it needs to be done very carefully. If players feel that their participation is required, it defeats the purpose of removing AV from the random queue, which is to make it totally optional.
Well this horde lock will stand by the alliance mage in this effert. Have letter already signed sealed and stamped. Will drop off in mail box before weekend is out.

The classic should not be part of random bgs. Also, there should be no deserter debuff after 30 minutes of play.

11/12/2011 05:05 PMPosted by Virgar
Also, there should be no deserter debuff after 30 minutes of play.

One of the requests listed in the "A Brief History of AV" thread is:

- Allow players who have participated in the battle for 30 minutes or longer to exit the battle without penalty as long as there is a new player available in the queue.

Reason: Not everyone agrees on how long a "long" AV match should last, and real life responsibilities often require players to step away from the game for a few minutes or more.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2952885503