mass layoffs at blizz

General Discussion
Post Limit:
Prev 1 10 11 12 Next
ot seeing any blue posts here. All rumor. Back to gaming!

I wish I could, Damn maintenance and the need to keep severs running correctly.
Did no one ever think maybe they laid off those people so they could get some new guys, with new ideas in?
So all I heard at Blizzcon was that XXX and XXX was a good idea and they planned on doing it but that they just didn't have the resources and manpower to do it. And they are actually letting people, talented people at that, go?? So where exactly is all this money we are pumping into the game/company going?
11/08/2011 09:38 AMPosted by Urmomslunch
@OP bad troll is bad troll

I'd say he is a good troll, look at how many bites he got.
11/08/2011 09:43 AMPosted by Rammsteìn
Did no one ever think maybe they laid off those people so they could get some new guys, with new ideas in?

It's not just the firings, but the 'timing' of the firings.

They were fired yesterday, while the Q3 numbers are coming out 'today'.

It feels very much like 'bad news', and they needed some mitigating 'corrective actions' to bring in with them to try and calm the stockholders.

As in...Subs are down for another quarter, but they've fired people whom they will say are responsible for a bad direction and bad development and have fixed the situation and anticipate a good Q4.
And you're saying that people just 'started feeling the pinch' right when Cata launched? You're saying that you believe that it's only coincidence that Cata's arrival happened at the worst possible moment, when 900k subscribers all decided within that six months, that they can't afford WoW anymore?

You think 'that' assumption is more reasonable and believable than....Cata was a bad expansion and people dropped it?

They had enough money to buy Cataclysm didn't they? That was what like $60 at least? So you're telling me they bought Cataclysm, then all of a sudden they started feeling the effects of the economic downturn that's been going on since 08, and were subsequently forced to quit...

How come none of them quit last year before buying Cataclysm? Oh right because it takes 3 years for them all to feel the effects of a bad economy. Ok there.

In December of 2008 (when everyone keeps saying this boom in subscriptions was and when the downturn began)..... USA Unemployment figures were at 7.2; nothing abnormal. Yes, at that present time people could afford, had no greater foresight that things would not turn around to prosperity. Cataclysm, many forget, go upon preorder and no matter how bad things are, we still won't forgo without gifts at the holidays.

Now, two years PAST that great 2008, and another 6 months after Cata's release, unemployment is 9.2 and fluctuates towards 10. This is TWO YEARS after the downturn starts... right when those unemployment benefits start to run out and you desperately need to cut costs. Coincidence? No......... REALITY.

So yes, I do see where some probably quit because they didn't like it, but everyone continues to counter that such is the only reason....... and that's being blind. 900k in 6 months..... more people lost jobs in that time; far more credible and necessary decisions regarding finances than just "I don't like this".
11-08-11 Op was master troll.
11/08/2011 09:32 AMPosted by Penumbra
Not seeing any blue posts here. All rumor. Back to gaming!

i have seen a lot deleted posts, so i know at least moderators are here in number.
Bobby Kotick was pissed that he could only afford 17 money baths a day this quarter instead of his customary 19, and decided to trim the fat.
And you're saying that people just 'started feeling the pinch' right when Cata launched? You're saying that you believe that it's only coincidence that Cata's arrival happened at the worst possible moment, when 900k subscribers all decided within that six months, that they can't afford WoW anymore?

You think 'that' assumption is more reasonable and believable than....Cata was a bad expansion and people dropped it?

They had enough money to buy Cataclysm didn't they? That was what like $60 at least? So you're telling me they bought Cataclysm, then all of a sudden they started feeling the effects of the economic downturn that's been going on since 08, and were subsequently forced to quit...

How come none of them quit last year before buying Cataclysm? Oh right because it takes 3 years for them all to feel the effects of a bad economy. Ok there.

In December of 2008 (when everyone keeps saying this boom in subscriptions was and when the downturn began)..... USA Unemployment figures were at 7.2; nothing abnormal. Yes, at that present time people could afford, had no greater foresight that things would not turn around to prosperity. Cataclysm, many forget, go upon preorder and no matter how bad things are, we still won't forgo without gifts at the holidays.

Now, two years PAST that great 2008, and another 6 months after Cata's release, unemployment is 9.2 and fluctuates towards 10. This is TWO YEARS after the downturn starts... right when those unemployment benefits start to run out and you desperately need to cut costs. Coincidence? No......... REALITY.

So yes, I do see where some probably quit because they didn't like it, but everyone continues to counter that such is the only reason....... and that's being blind. 900k in 6 months..... more people lost jobs in that time; far more credible and necessary decisions regarding finances than just "I don't like this".

Sure I suppose some people quit cuz of the economy. I'm sure some potential new players decided not to buy the game since it costs ~$100 for all 3 expacs to play at endgame. But I'm also sure that other players facing financial struggle are foregoing their more expensive means of entertainment and relying more on WoW for fun because it is cheap.

And these numbers are miniscule compared to the number of players cancelling because they don't like the direction Cataclysm brought the game. Just look at the forums, how many threads do you see saying "I quit WoW is too expensive!" compared to how many threads you see "I quit Cataclysm ruined WoW".
11/08/2011 06:58 AMPosted by Becken
But....I don't think the Titan team works on WoW, which makes your entire argument invalid.

what makes it worse is that they are laying off the titan team members, that does not bode well for the future of the company because that was their next super project. If a company scrap's its future game release after working on it so much and pulling out talent from wow to also work on it, that indicates a problem.
11/08/2011 06:59 AMPosted by Kittyboo
Crap what the hell!? This is really bad news but they had it comming making the game easy is never the best way to go. To be honest it should be much harder then it is now. SO WHAT casuals will complain but oh well you are having people leave because the game isnt immersing enough isnt challenging enough. To be honest I was LOVING the new dungeons at the start of cata it felt like it was going back to vanilla times but then it got hit with the BLOODY nerfbat. I still enjoy it but I remember when it used to take months to level a toon to max level not 1 week

I think it was the bait and switch that upset people more then anything.

In vanilla and BC it was difficult. If you couldn't raid at the higher level, then you were farming Kara/Grulls and the first few bosses of TK/SSC. For vanilla you were farming MC. But you still had lots to do if raiding wasn't your thing.

Wrath moved the goal posts so to speak in that they made it easy for everyone that was motivated enough to zone into a raid to be able to kill the end bosses of said raids. You weren't stuck mindlessly farming the starter bosses of each raid, you got to see the end bosses. Heroics were just right at the start and felt like you were making progress with your character, (please, we weren't face-rolling them until we well out-geared them or unless you were running with your guild). You still had tons to do outside of raiding, and you could raid with your alts.

Cata moved those goal posts yet again, but this time they tried to move them back to pre-wrath levels. even now, non-Guild heroic runs are a crapshoot at best. The community on the servers are not what they once were and it's all about linking achievements and gear levels.

I'll be shocked if they Q3 call today is anything good, but doubt there will be any layoffs or replacements of the current C-team though.

TL:DR You can't lower the difficulty and then raise it again expecting your playerbase to like it.

***EDIT***

To the people blaming the economy for the decline in subscriptions, please. WoW is still one of the cheapest forms of entertainment I can think of. Even if you cut your internet service from the top tier to the lowest to save money, WoW is still playable on even a 1Mb connection.