WoW on Ultra - What does it take?

Games, Gaming and Hardware
1 2 3 5 Next
I'm not sure if this would be considered off-topic or not, but I'm currently in the process of designing a new computer and was wanting to finally be able to play on Ultra Settings with 60+ FPS.

Does anyone know by chance the minimum system requirements to be able to do this?

CPU Speed
Memory
Video Card
Etc

Let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it! Or even from hearing from those who do play wow on Ultra.
Just get the best graphics card you can afford. That will give you the biggest bang for your buck. 4 gigs of ram is probably fine, but I'd go with 8 gigs of faster ram, though you won't notice much of a difference there. Any current CPU will be fine.
That is false. Currently my laptop has an i3 Processor, 1 gig Nvidia video card, 4 gigs of ram, and it cannot run wow on ultra with 60 FPS.
Actually it's not false. Your graphics card will be the best bang for your buck. Secondary is optimizing your system to turn off unneeded processes. Also a problem you're probably running into is the heat from the laptop. Laptops aren't designed to run wow on ultra because the components will all get hot. In a tower you have plenty of fans and airflow. Laptops everything is right next to each other. You're probably also running a slower hard drive and slower ram.
If you're not familiar, this is a safe site to go to. Check it out. No keyloggers.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm-directx-11-performance,2793.html
11/14/2011 11:00 PMPosted by Hells
That is false. Currently my laptop has an i3 Processor, 1 gig Nvidia video card, 4 gigs of ram, and it cannot run wow on ultra with 60 FPS.

>laptop
>games

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH.

I'd say an i5 2500k/4gigs DDR3 ram/5770 or equivalent Nvidia card to run this on max.

Currently playing on a 3.8ghz quad 4gigs DDR3, HD 5770 game runs like butter.

This ^^
I have something similar but with 6 gigs.

Brand new laptop runs amazing but when it heats up I dc like crazy, so a make sure you have an efficient cooling system it's defiantly worth it.
For AMD side, I run x6 1100t, 3.3 ghz, 8 gigs of pc3-16000 ram, 5770, 32" monitor, 2 22" monitors, various applications running constantly including bittorrent. Heat issues I took off the side on my tower and have a dedicated high velocity fan blowing instead.

Stormwind I currently have 32 fps. I could probably get it to 50 if I shut down everything else, but I'm not going to.

For AMD side, I run x6 1100t, 3.3 ghz, 8 gigs of pc3-16000 ram, 5770, 32" monitor, 2 22" monitors, various applications running constantly including bittorrent. Heat issues I took off the side on my tower and have a dedicated high velocity fan blowing instead.

Stormwind I currently have 32 fps. I could probably get it to 50 if I shut down everything else, but I'm not going to.

Easier solution, but a cheap computer for everything non-gaming. I have a cheap off the shelf hp box for everything that doesn't require any sort of power and it works gear and keeps my gaming machine clean. Run it off one monitor with my game running on the other. Even started running vent off of my cheap computer.
11/14/2011 10:44 PMPosted by Drunkraven
Just get the best graphics card you can afford. That will give you the biggest bang for your buck. 4 gigs of ram is probably fine, but I'd go with 8 gigs of faster ram, though you won't notice much of a difference there. Any current CPU will be fine.

Spoken like someone who NEVER reads hardware review sites.

Anand lal Shimpi has said many times, World of Warcraft is a CPU-bound game. That means the more powerful your CPU, the better your WOW experience.

Just check out AnandTech and look at Benchmarks by game, select World of Warcraft.

Currently, Intel's new $1000 CPU that is coming out / just came out, the 3960X or something like that, gets ridiculously massive FPS when coupled with a high-end video card.

But best bang for the buck would be a Sandy Bridge part, probably the 2600k.
11/14/2011 10:56 PMPosted by Imawarriorhi
i3 Processor

There's your problem

But best bang for the buck would be a Sandy Bridge part, probably the 2600k.

2600k is overkill for games. i5 2500k is the way to go.
11/14/2011 10:44 PMPosted by Drunkraven

You have no clue about PC hardware do you? 4G of RAM, an i3 processor, and a video card with 1G imbedded can easily run circles around WoW.
11/14/2011 11:02 PMPosted by Lionelle
I'm using an intel core 2 quad q6600 2.4ghz processor

I swear to god that was the best CPU ever made, its 4 years old and still a very very good and reliable piece of equipment, not to mention its inexpensive.
11/14/2011 10:56 PMPosted by Imawarriorhi

Because you're playing on a laptop....