Retribution (7.0.3) - Updated 8/4/16

Paladin
Prev 1 8 9 10 39 Next
Concerning today's patch 5.0.5: (1) Mastery damage tool-tip changed from 17% to 15%. This is a tool-tip correction, not a nerf. It's been 15% all along. (2) Divine Storm damage nerfed from 135% holy weapon damage to 100% holy weapon damage. This lowers our AoE DPS a tad, but it doesn't change our AoE priorities nor does it change the number of targets at which we swap from TV to DS (it's still two).
The Divine Storm change is also a tooltip update. It's been 100% ever since 5.0.4 hit. The Mastery nerf also contains a scaling nerf along with the flat 2% base reduction, which is why we're seeing a noticeable decrease in Mastery percentages.
Hey Svayne, excellent guide. Pretty much nailed everything on the head with this one. Sticky requested and liked!
09/12/2012 12:09 AMPosted by Rucession
The Divine Storm change is also a tooltip update.

Nice to know.

Hey Svayne, excellent guide. Pretty much nailed everything on the head with this one. Sticky requested and liked!

Spank you, sir.
09/12/2012 08:02 AMPosted by Svayne
Spank you, sir.

Promise?
Curious... I haven't seen this mentioned ANYWHERE so I'm thinking I'm probably the only one dumb enough to try it. I don't normally play Ret, but I might be going that route in the future, so I'm trying to learn more and get some more practice with it. I've been playing around with glyphs, and in 25 HDS tonight I was using the two WoG glyphs: "Word of Glory" and "Harsh Words". I was essentially replacing TV with WoG in my rotation, and on every fight my avg hits and crits surpassed the TVs of the other Ret in my group. His ilvl was 399, mine was 400. Just curious if anyone else has tried this and what the reasons are for not doing this (the obvious reason being that it uses up 2 glyph slots). I just thought the 9% dmg increase might be worth testing it out, and all the other glyphs are so blah.
The only thing I would like to see is maybe add the stat weights into the stats section. Other than that it was very well written, requested for sticky.
Even so, Harsh Words doesn't benefit from any mastery you may have, unlike Templar's Verdict. Take your other ret's TVs and then factor in the additional damage he'll be doing with his mastery bonus. It comes out to have TV still be more damage; rets are melee, not casters after all.
09/13/2012 03:28 AMPosted by Zhoe
The only thing I would like to see is maybe add the stat weights into the stats section. Other than that it was very well written, requested for sticky.

I considered re-adding it for 5.0, but since this tier is over in a week, I decided to just wait until 90 to start going into depth on stats again. I'll repost for weights again Soon™ though.
12/06/2011 02:38 AMPosted by Svayne
Mass Exorcism requires at least five targets to be within range in order for it to be a DPS increase. Much like Double Jeopardy, this glyph is completely useless for single-target fights. Fights in which this glyph may be useful: Heroic Yor'sahj, Spine, Maloriak, similar add-heavy fights.

why is that? Am I just not reading it right? It doesnt seem to say it takes dmg away from the primary target to me, it just does 25% additional dmg to other targets as well. So anything more than one target it would be a dps increase. Again, maybe I'm misunderstanding the phrasing?
I need to fix that, Kortiken. The initial rewrite was done before I ever got my hands on actual numbers from those glyphs. I'll update next chance.
09/13/2012 04:40 AMPosted by Sevilon
Even so, Harsh Words doesn't benefit from any mastery you may have, unlike Templar's Verdict. Take your other ret's TVs and then factor in the additional damage he'll be doing with his mastery bonus. It comes out to have TV still be more damage; rets are melee, not casters after all.

Right ok thanks, figured as much!
OK, about Harsh words. In the end TV will beat it out in terms of DPS, mastery will make sure of that. But of what I have seen, go ahead and use whichever fits you best. Harsh words is ranged at I believe 40 yards and does not need 3hp to use. (though its most effective when used at 3hp) This makes it far more versatile than TV in many situations. Personally i switch back and forth depending on what i'm feeling, and I do notice a little dps difference between the two TV being on top. But when it comes down to it its your choice. Most of us will choose TV for pure dps, but both are still good.

I will post a thread about this idea after some more experimentation.
09/15/2012 08:47 AMPosted by Savagemoron
But when it comes down to it its your choice. Most of us will choose TV for pure dps, but both are still good.

It's nice for PvP, sure, but this thread is dedicated to maximizing current end-game PvE performance. TV+Mastery > Harsh Words, no contest.
Last thread on the page?

This can not stand!

Hey Svayne i noticed that TVDP changed position on your rotation since the last time i went over this. Could you explain the reasoning behind this?

Asking more on behalf of a guildy of mine who i try to keep updated with your guide (im specced HA).
TV DP actually wasn't even on the priority listing before I added it a few days ago. At least I don't think it was. I've been partying more than usual lately so...I forget things.

According to SimulationCraft, burning DP before HoPo generators is a slight DPS increase as DP has a chance to proc off of itself when you burn it. Chaining DP TV > ignoring DP in favor of HoPo generators by a slim margin. I guess it might also be important to know that using a finisher with a DP proc gives you the full 25% chance to proc another one.
09/16/2012 02:19 PMPosted by Svayne
According to SimulationCraft, burning DP before HoPo generators is a slight DPS increase as DP has a chance to proc off of itself when you burn it.

I'm actually surprised by this. I simply assumed you would still prioritise HP generators before the DP proc as long as you use the proc before it runs out. Like, assume a situation where you have exorcism as your only off cd generator, you have 4hp and dp is procced (It procced off dp hence still 4hp). Would it not be better to use exo, then the proc as delaying exo can potentially waste AoW procs.

My mindset might be all wrong so if anyone cares to explain it to me would be a great help. That or I make myself look through math -.-
09/17/2012 07:28 AMPosted by Ephogy
I'm actually surprised by this. I simply assumed you would still prioritise HP generators before the DP proc as long as you use the proc before it runs out. Like, assume a situation where you have exorcism as your only off cd generator, you have 4hp and dp is procced (It procced off dp hence still 4hp). Would it not be better to use exo, then the proc as delaying exo can potentially waste AoW procs.

I'd actually thought the same thing . The trade-off of burning HoPo generators first is that you're potentially wasting DP procs though, which according to SimC is worse than wasting potential AoW procs.