Beginner Mage PvP Guide - 4.3

Mage
Post Limit:
Prev 1 2 3 17 Next
--Macros--

Here are some basic starter macros to help mace pvp a lot smoother:

'make' :)

did you double paste the second part in post 7?
12/20/2011 11:36 PMPosted by Xiun
Mounts, food and arcane brilliance are all fine to click, as well as spells you won’t ever use, like flame strike, fire ball and arcane blast

honestly take arcane blast out of that. What else do you plan on casting when youre interrupted? its the best thing left ><
honestly take arcane blast out of that. What else do you plan on casting when youre interrupted? its the best thing left ><

Scorch and frostfire bolt. It's honestly a bad idea to expose your arcane tree and the cast time is just to long anyways.

12/21/2011 12:09 AMPosted by Droodrage
make' :)

I'm glad someone is looking out for my typos :D

12/21/2011 12:09 AMPosted by Droodrage
did you double paste the second part in post 7?

Doesn't look like it?

EDIT: nope defiantly had a hiccup there. Fix'd
Scorch and frostfire bolt. It's honestly a bad idea to expose your arcane tree and the cast time is just to long anyways

good point. seeing as i play fire >.>

also requested sticky :)

ill post more typos tommorrow if you like. I'm tired and i didnt feel like posting the few others i saw >.>
Great guide Xiun, great info for up and coming mages like myself (just hit 1900 woo).
I'd like someones opinion on this macro that i use to control my water ele.

#showtooltip Summon Water Elemental
/cast [nopet] Summon Water Elemental
/stop macro [nopet]
/click PetActionButton5
/petpassive
/petattack

Summons pet if no pet, uses freeze, attacks current target, and switches to passive by untargeting and hitting macro again.
I am at ~ 20% crit, considering reforging a little of that in to mastery.

good idea? or best idea ever?
I am at ~ 20% crit, considering reforging a little of that in to mastery.

good idea? or best idea ever?

Do it!

I personally like staying around 18-20% myself, so dropping below that mark won't hurt you at all.

Also, thank you very much for all the kind words everyone! Makes me happy :D
Requested sticky. Again.
You using MH+OH now

:'(

Btw "Tells your pet to attack yoru current target."
For fire mages;

If you dont have access to dragon soul(NOT LFR) gear, i highly suggest getting the Medallion of the Horde/Alliance with crit instead of resilience. It basically fills that 'pve slot' and its a massive boost to your crit.

edit: It's not the most flexible item you can get but it's easily obtainable and in my opinion a great buy for non raiders
12/21/2011 10:18 AMPosted by Valentineqt
You using MH+OH now

My mogged dagger doesn't let my enchant through, so I don't need the giant mass of glowing on my back/butt.

Btw "Tells your pet to attack yoru current target."

"Beginner mage pvp guide and how to make Xiun type better"

Mounts, food and arcane brilliance are all fine to click...

I agree except I find binding arcane brilliance to be beneficial with so much buff removing in pvp.
If you dont have access to dragon soul(NOT LFR) gear, i highly suggest getting the Medallion of the Horde/Alliance with crit instead of resilience. It basically fills that 'pve slot' and its a massive boost to your crit.

It's probably a good trinket for any mage actually, I'll be using it later in the season once I get more resil so I can reforge it into mastery.

Probably will make note of that soon in the OP.

I was going to bump the old thread for you, but it looks like it was capped! :o

Just got Cunning of the Cruel from Raid Finder (which is like winning the lottery odds-wise). Have to say it's a really fun and cool trinket for regular BGs. Lots and lots and lots of damage. Only downside is that it seems to break CC =( I've definitely enjoyed my 397 VPLC for that extra burst, but I'll probably equip CotC for regular bgs. As for rateds, I'm still on the fence because it actually breaks CC targets. The damage is great though. On a training dummy with no external debuffs up and AP/Mana Gem up I've gotten hits of 30k and crits of 60k. That's awesome. :D The scaling must be really good on this thing, and that's just the 384 LFR version. Saw the 410 version drop tonight. But yeah, that's before resil and all that.

Here's a couple more hopefully simple and easy questions:

1) Does anyone ever use Willful Ember Topaz in their gemming?

2) If not, by that token, would you recommend the 410 version of Ring of the Riven or Infinite Loop over one or both of the 403 pvp rings? With the extra socket with potential epic gems they turn to be a sizable chunk of extra intellect and stats. 59 more intellect to be exact.

PS: Imp Cone of Cold for Arcane is definitely way better for me than the Impact/Blazing Speed combo. Loving it.
1) Does anyone ever use Willful Ember Topaz in their gemming?

No. Resilience is not a stat you want nor need to stack at all as a mage, you'll get more than enough to survive on just your base gear.

2) If not, by that token, would you recommend the 410 version of Ring of the Riven or Infinite Loop over one or both of the 403 pvp rings? With the extra socket with potential epic gems they turn to be a sizable chunk of extra intellect and stats. 59 more intellect to be exact.

Probably not. Fpr pve gear the pieces that only seem worth picking up is the valor point cape and the T13 pants (haste reforged to crit). Those rings aren't really well itemized for pvp with all that hit and it isn't worth dropping all the resil you have just for an extra gem slot.
ok, Derp,

remind me (in writing) how I get the best pve pants for pvp? Or, at least, the best obtainable to me pve pants.

something about a token from LFR for the time lord leggings?
12/22/2011 06:44 PMPosted by Dishmayhem
something about a token from LFR for the time lord leggings?

Yes, if you queue for Looking for Raid and do The Fall of Deathwing or The Seige of Wyrmcrest Temple you can have a chance for a token to drop.

Then you take the token and exchange it to the vendor and he gives you the pants.

The reforge the haste to crit and enjoy.
Great guide Xiun, great info for up and coming mages like myself (just hit 1900 woo).
I'd like someones opinion on this macro that i use to control my water ele.

#showtooltip Summon Water Elemental
/cast [nopet] Summon Water Elemental
/stop macro [nopet]
/click PetActionButton5
/petpassive
/petattack

Summons pet if no pet, uses freeze, attacks current target, and switches to passive by untargeting and hitting macro again.

best macro ever. thx
Giving this a nice little bump, and merry Christmas to all!