Mining Bots are everywhere again

Customer Support
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
Possible solution? If somene is reported for being a bot a debuff is applied that makes you put in a CAPTCHA at random intervals for the debuff duration or have a randomly named (to counteract target macros) NPC appears that roots you in place until you talk to it. Sure it'd be an annoyance, but I'd rather deal with that than have to deal with bots taking nodes from people actually playing the game.
12/30/2011 01:30 PMPosted by Upirlikhyi
i got a whisper the other day asking me if i was a bot while i was herbing. I didn't respond right away and then the person says reported for bottng...I was like HUH?

It's weird when that happens :x Nothing ever comes of it. If the people who said they reported me for bot mining or bot fishing, actually did report me, I never got a notification.

♥ Aune
12/30/2011 01:39 PMPosted by Aune
i got a whisper the other day asking me if i was a bot while i was herbing. I didn't respond right away and then the person says reported for bottng...I was like HUH?

It's weird when that happens :x Nothing ever comes of it. If the people who said they reported me for bot mining or bot fishing, actually did report me, I never got a notification.

♥ Aune

yea i haven't seen anything about it either, I was just in shock someone thought i was a bot..
Blizzard needs to step it up. Unfortunately, the bots u see are no longer just hacked accounts...its actual players exploiting the game by using bots to farm when they sleep or are away, therefore when blizzard sends a message investigating the matter they respond as a real player and no action is taken..at least that is my assumption since two of these jerks are still regularly botting Uldum.

Its ruining the game and blizzards lack of response frankly has me toying with ending my sub after 7 years next month.
I don't know if there's been an increase but I've noticed the bots, report them with very specific info so the GM can find the exact moment in the log. That way if they are a bot, Blizz can nail them and if they're not, Blizz will know and go on to the next issue at hand.
12/30/2011 01:41 PMPosted by Upirlikhyi

♥ Aune

yea i haven't seen anything about it either, I was just in shock someone thought i was a bot..

Lol your character name looking like that of an average level 1 gold spammer may have something to do with it...
ive reported like 8000000 bots in the last few months mining lol. I would watch them for awhile. Attack them if they're horde(lots of bots have a set attack rotation to make it seem like they're fighting but its just pop XX and XX at XX%) and then talk to them if alliance. If they don't whisper u back its a pretty sure sign that they're botting
12/30/2011 01:41 PMPosted by Upirlikhyi

♥ Aune

Yeah it was odd... Although it did cause me to take a break shortly after. I figure that's a sign that I'm farming waaaaaay too much ;p ♥
TB seems to usually be clear of these bots. Go mining there.
I've reported a couple people as bots, but only when it's incredibly obvious.

The ones I'm not sure about I'll usually whisper and say "hey, how are the pickins today?".

The autoresponder bots will usually say something like "what's up?", or something else in response that makes no sense at all.

A simple, "hey, i really don't want you to get in trouble, so before i report you as a bot, i figured i'd give you a chance to chat with me", will usually get a response from non-botters.
I can tell there has been a lot of afk botting. Once I reported 3 in a 15 minutes span a couple months ago. GM response was still fast because 4.3 hadn't come out yet, kicked those 3 offline. All of a sudden I'm getting 3 or 4 mine nodes per minute rather than 3-4 minutes per node before.

I also used to farm Scholazar basin a lot for herbs. Yesterday I farmed there to level up my scribe alt, and I got 10 stacks of each herb in 1 hour. A far cry from when Scholazar basin was still active and full of bots where you'd be lucky to get 1 whole stack of each kind in less than 1 hour.

Patch 4.3 was just released, that means mainly lots of JC prospecting ore for gems, gems selling real well, and that creates a high demand for ore. High demand for ore = high likehood of afk bots. Same thing with herb for making potions and elixirs.

Just keep reporting them. When CM checks it out, they can find out if the player is botting or not and do something.
I feel your pain, I was in Uldum last night. It is really frustrating to fly around and find 1 nod every 10 minutes or so

Lol your character name looking like that of an average level 1 gold spammer may have something to do with it...

my character name is russian....but yea you might be right
When I mine I actually ignore my chat window completely and if you were to whisper me I wouldn't reply at all. I fly the same circle for hours a time and I can guarantee you that I don't bot.

Blizzard investigates every single bot report. But as they are intelligent they wait until they can patch a hotfix for the bot before they do mass ban waves. This cures the infection instead of treating the symptom.
12/30/2011 01:37 PMPosted by Taterdots
Possible solution? If somene is reported for being a bot a debuff is applied that makes you put in a CAPTCHA at random intervals for the debuff duration or have a randomly named (to counteract target macros) NPC appears that roots you in place until you talk to it. Sure it'd be an annoyance, but I'd rather deal with that than have to deal with bots taking nodes from people actually playing the game.
And the griefing would ensue drastially for many legitimate players farming because someone would report everyone for botting. When I farm, I ignore any and all emotes and whispers and just go about my business. I have been whispered that I was being reported for botting, and I replied back to them "All your gold is belong to me" just due to their shear ignorance. Unless you are sitting there watching them in the same room as they are, you have no idea if it is a bot or not. Simply report and go about your own business. I was not worried at all when I have been whispered that I was being reported because I wasn't botting and the logs would show I wasn't.
12/30/2011 02:04 PMPosted by Flatspriest
And the griefing would ensue drastially for many legitimate players farming because someone would report everyone for botting. When I farm, I ignore any and all emotes and whispers and just go about my business. I have been whispered that I was being reported for botting, and I replied back to them "All your gold is belong to me" just due to their shear ignorance. Unless you are sitting there watching them in the same room as they are, you have no idea if it is a bot or not. Simply report and go about your own business. I was not worried at all when I have been whispered that I was being reported because I wasn't botting and the logs would show I wasn't.

It is actually quite simple to tell if they are bots. They do not deviate from their patterned route. AT ALL. They also land and drop through the ground sometimes though not all do. All you have to do to see its a bot is follow it long enough ...it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure it out. The best solution IMO is putting mobs next to each and every node because another dead giveaway that its a bot is the fact that they only auto attack and usually are killed by the mobs rendering them unable to farm the node. Yes its a pain for me as a real person farming to have to kill a mob, but its not hard and if it would keep me from having to circle Uldum 10 times only to gather 1 stack of ORE id be happy to pay that price.

People are sick of bots. And people who !@#$% at people who are sick of bots either a) bot themselves and are hiding behind this behaviour with indignant and righteous anger against those who opose bots or they are b) nothing more than trolls trying to prey on other peoples valid frustrations with the state of this game.
Or c) people who realize the solutions presented may not be as effective as desired. For instance, dropping mobs around doesn't do much to botters that move through terrain, but severely restricts legit players while simultaneously making it easier for people -- players and botters alike -- to go after a node while a nearby player is dealing with these mobs.
It is actually quite simple to tell if they are bots. They do not deviate from their patterned route. AT ALL
So, in your estimation, I would be botting when I am farming because I go for hours never deviating from my path. I fly the exact same path each and every time I circle where my mining character farms. I fly the exact same path for my herbalist to gather herbs. I do this for hours on end with no deviation. The thing is, though, I am not botting, merely farming. Unless you are sitting right behind the person doing the "botting" as you claim, you have no idea for certain if they are or not. Just ticket your suspicions and let Blizzard deal with it. I have see several mass bans for bots in my time so Blizzard does take an active role in removing bot programs as fast as they can.
12/30/2011 02:42 PMPosted by Danvers
Or c) people who realize the solutions presented may not be as effective as desired. For instance, dropping mobs around doesn't do much to botters that move through terrain, but severely restricts legit players while simultaneously making it easier for people -- players and botters alike -- to go after a node while a nearby player is dealing with these mobs.

They seem to have solved the terrain divers a long time ago. It was a problem back in the days of wintergrasp but i have yet to see a terrain botter this expac.

We are not talking about terrain divers...they are not the biggest problem here. BOTS are. Bots you can see swarming nodes like bees when you try to farm so YA...ill take the mobs around the nodes because it at least does SOMETHING which is better than what is going on right now.
12/30/2011 03:01 PMPosted by Flatspriest
I fly the exact same path each and every time I circle where my mining character farms.

I highly doubt you perform the same mechanical turns at every designated node spawn point, retracing your steps pixel-by-pixel, perform the exact same order and combination of spells if a mob aggros, etc.

"Doing the same thing" in a farming context always has minor variations due to the human player being 'imperfect'. "Doing the same thing" in a botting context has absolutely no variations whatsoever.