4.3.2 PTR and New File Optimization Tech

General Discussion
Post Limit:
Prev 1 3 4 5 11 Next
Tiapriestess,

Being somewhat of a guru on Sandforce based drives(beta tester)you should never see that low of write,ever.I'm not sure whats going on with your system but something is not right.Unless your computer is set to go into S3 sleep,meaning power to the drive is being cut,GC(garbage collection) should be taking care of business.GC is the reason that TRIM isn't even really needed for OCZ series 3 drives.I don't even have TRIM as i run Agility 3's in raid zero and have yet to see any drop in speed other than the "steady state"the drives settle into after fresh install.You can see,even the drives being pounded in this thread,and i mean INSANELY pounded are not dropping to the speeds your seeing.
As an aside,anyone that still thinks SSD' have a much lower lifetime than spinning platters better think again.We are talking HUNDREDS of Terabytes.Link to thread .......

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271063-SSD-Write-Endurance-25nm-Vs-34nm

***Edit** Let me say that I'm not happy that it takes so long of idle time for GC to kick in on Sandforce drives,as that ruins your ability to save some power by having your whole rig go into deep sleep,everything shutting off.But it is what it is,and its a must.

Obviously the GC isn't working correctly, because before I did a low level format (wiping the cells back to their zero state), it took 2-4 minutes per logout or exit. It's back down to 15-30 seconds afterwards. I know that the WoW patching method swaps files around like crazy and is uber inefficient, thus if GC can't kick in for any reason, those cells get eaten up pretty damned fast.

I actively maintain (and trim) my WTF and Addon folders by pruning them of unused files so they don't load when WoW launches and don't take up unnecessary space on my SSD.

As an aside, that abomination known as Spotlight is permanently disabled on my system. It serves no purposes for me other than to slow WoW (and everything else) to a crawl with its insidioius indexing methods.
01/05/2012 10:04 AMPosted by Neshra
Right now, it looks like the optimization reduced the WoW install by roughly ~3GB, and thats with the additions/changes to the game engine with 4.3.2. Not bad considering.

That is a fairly hefty reduction, just under 20% of the total install to date.

Your WoW install is only 15GB? Mine is over 26.
01/10/2012 10:26 PMPosted by Sumcallmetim

That is a fairly hefty reduction, just under 20% of the total install to date.

Your WoW install is only 15GB? Mine is over 26.

Mine's sitting at 29.6 GB. I don't know where this magical 15 GB install came from, but it ain't on any of our drives.
This is good news that Blizzard is starting to take ownership of how Warcraft get splattered onto our hard drives. So many developers have messy installations that will never be cleaned up. I look forward to even more optimizing from the "Developement Team" in the near future.
01/05/2012 11:05 AMPosted by Sorchia
my only hope is this will help some of us who have computers that USED to run world of warcraft great and now suddenly do not. otherwise i stick with my original thesis, you need to reprint your system requirements on the box of world of warcraft to say requirements for 10 man raids and requirements for 25 man raids, because these are clearly different.

One thing you can do if you have not already is play around with the combat filters in the combat log options and make a custom one that shows only your deaths or something like that (so that there isn't massive text scrolling .

Then use that filter during 25 man raids. Doing that helped me make my old 1.83 ghz Core Duo CPU and 7900 GS go equipped laptop when I'm away from my desktop. It was one of the more noticeable game tweaks I made.
two thumbs up...I'll be ready for my Diablo III download then.
About time is all I can say as my wow folder is almost 30Gig and unknown what is old patch and irrelevant leftovers, happy to see a maintenance update which will tidy this up and consolidate patches = faster loading and better optimization no doubt
01/13/2012 05:47 PMPosted by Xener
About time is all I can say as my wow folder is almost 30Gig and unknown what is old patch and irrelevant leftovers, happy to see a maintenance update which will tidy this up and consolidate patches = faster loading and better optimization no doubt

Dunno about that. My PTR client's /Data folder is still exceedingly large, and the /Cache folder within /Data got knocked down by a whopping <drumroll> 1.9 GB. That's it.

Can we please have the original patching method back? Our installs were half the size they are now using the old method before we had this /Cache nonsense. A disk cache resides in RAM. An application's internal cache usually resides in RAM. The only "cache" that typically resides on a HD/SSD is swap. I don't know where the devs figured that "cache" was just another word for "duplicate", but it isn't. Proper encoding of the audio/video files before they're even downloaded means no need for any "cache". It means no need for conversion (and thus placement into) a "cache".

You want optimization? Optimize it before you deliver it to us. You want to lessen the install size? Optimize/convert before we download it. The file shuffling shenanigans really have to stop. I see about a 15% reduction in the /Cache residing in my PTR client folder. That nets a 7.5% decrease in the game's overall install size.

I can do without streaming. Anybody that isn't hooked on WoW like it's a drug they'd have withdrawal symptoms from not playing for more than ten minutes avoids the "play while streaming" at all costs since it severely degrades any sort of network performance, thus degrading the entire game as a whole.

We lived just fine before the streaming. We did very well even having to wait for a patch to fully download and apply itself before the Cache. Why? Because even with that it took less time to get up and running to an enjoyable game than it does with the "rebuilding the cache"/optimizing bit. Assuming the same filesize for download, the time to download doesn't change. The actual time to patch (move/delete/insert files) doesn't change. But losing that extra "optimization" which really isn't, definitely would be a good thing.

Your game has no ads or any other such baggage, yet has an install size that can't even fit on a single layer blu-ray disc. That's bloatware.
The aspect of this all that really concerns me ?

The having to re-download of around 4-5 GB of assets your already have because they've been re-encoded.

One can only hope they change it so the Launcher does the re-encoded from the uncompressed files in the Data/Cache folder.

Else we'll have yet another furor on the forums like the last data folder reorganization resulted in.

Here to Help :)
Coolio
01/20/2012 08:02 AMPosted by Bluspacecow
One can only hope they change it so the Launcher does the re-encoded from the uncompressed files in the Data/Cache folder.

I don't mind a re-download if they can manage the "do it once and get it right" part. But from what I'm seeing on my PTR folder, my install lost 15% of the /Cache folder, which nets a roughly 7.5% net savings to the overall install of 30 GB. That's not much improvement, and shows that there's still a ton of bloat.

While each expansion added new data, there was enough data that replaced existing "old" data that the installs should not have ballooned in size like Cataclysm did. None of the previous expansions made my installs so large. It didn't get like this until the /Cache folder came along.

Thus far, the new "optimization tech" seems to be barely a drop in the bucket with regard to reclaimed disk/SSD space. Why we don't return to the old patch method is quite honestly beyond me. The streaming client is a spectacular failure, since any streaming in the background pretty much kills any performance and lags you out (you can thank the BitTorrent nature of the download services for this, as such would not happen with FTP/HTTP). Without any streaming client, we have no need for a worthless cache. It was much better to wait the ten to fifteen minutes for the patch to fully apply than to wait nearly thirty minutes for the "patching", the "optimization", and the "cache (re)building" that goes on now.

It's seriously time to let go of what doesn't work and bring back what does.
As of now, at 12:08pm EST my launcher wont even fire up. All that comes up is a box saying "Launcher can not obtain patch information. Please check your internet configuration."

lolz @ the sky cause its falling
WAAAAH IVE BEEN UP FOR 5 HOURS AND I CANT SLEEP WAAAHH. and the funny thing is im serious.. i thought only my mommy was aloud to take my games away from me :( thanks blizzard because of you a 11 year is going to cry himself to sleep :'(
So I did a quick search for the message I just received after the "reconfiguration" of game files, and I didn't find any prior posts..

What it says is: Data corruption detected. Repairing game data.

My question is: Would said corruption be due to something I did, or just a hdd error?

Edit: it has a skip button where the normal Play button is..if the data is corrupted, how can I skip the repair and still play?
01/25/2012 09:46 AMPosted by Dròód
Edit: it has a skip button where the normal Play button is..if the data is corrupted, how can I skip the repair and still play?

The same way the streaming client lets you play while downloading background data to fillin the gaps so to speak. You'll experience degraded gameplay (as a certainty) and may end up with a crash if your client tries a hit on the exact spot where the corruption lies, but you could play either way.

I wouldn't recommend it though. Let it repair and then go in-game. It's the only surefire way to ensure that the corruption can be fixed, as the game cannot repair a file that is touched by a live client.
You know what would be great? Releasing this new patch soon! This whole 4.3 patch was a giant pot of weak sauce. You need to start fixing problems before you create new ones.
Cool beans. XD
I haven't noticed the fps drop on those bosses, going to have to dig out fraps and see what's going on. I guess everyone has a different definition of "High End."

I can say that this is the first time in a LONG time that my firewall looked at WOW as a potential risk, so there is definitely some new action going on in the directory.
i have a copy of the whole game folder just for that reason. Anyone else worried about that should do the same before they start the client today until we can find out just what was changed.
Well, I can't play yet - and it doesn't matter since it won't affect performance in-game, and also I just got this laptop a month ago, but the whole "resizing/making install more efficiently loaded" thing went fairly smoothly for my system. Made typing out my posts here mighty jerky for about 20 minutes but everything was successful...so I guess the new program works lol.