The Iron Man Challenge

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 26 Next
01/06/2012 10:59 PMPosted by Turbomán
pointless challenge.

Yes, but doesn't that apply to any hard modes in games?

I'd say that reaching level cap without dying once, but with running quests, killing mobs, etc - would be more worthy of an achievement than just about anything else in the game.
Hello all, Ironworgen the third here (notice my level is lower than my previous post).

Done in by a too casual approach and a lack of familiarity with my surroundings, but we all enjoy the benefits of the knowledge gained from those that came before us.

Think this may be my last go at this. Hoping to get out of the Worgen starting area this time which should make things easier since I'll have all sorts of low level zones to prey upon.

It hasnt updated yet but I have chosen a NE Druid. Healing Spell, Root and travel form all for free so why not. Will post on it as soon as its available

And let's not forget Shadowmeld. That would've saved me from my most recent death. Almost rerolled a Night Elf but figured I'd give Worgen one more shot.
Good luck to you adventurers doing this, keep us posted :)
Well my little priest died today. A little summery.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/sisters-of-elune/Ironsprite/

Ironsprite Blood Elf Priest
"Chased wildcats down for their pelts, lovely pelts, wish I knew how to make a fine cloak from their hides or afford to pay another to. A lucky find from a backpack, left over from a poor unfortunate killed by a wildcat. This tribal leather robe may very well sell, troll items are always exotic."

"Collected every dirty rag from those wretched. After washing them I tossed a stack up in Auction House, amazing what people will pay for cloth! A gold richer and no idea what to do with so much money!"

"Murlocs... gah they stink! And keep coming! I am not ashamed to admit I did a lot of running and screaming and more running and screaming."

"Now Fairbreeze wants me to help with leftover scourge. I am happy to help destroy those unholy walking carcasses!"

"Sent to find Apprentice Mirveda, she needs help collecting soil samples and is afraid of wandering scourge. After getting my hands dirty and delivering the dirt, she grew very afraid. Wants to cast some sort of spell over it, will add results after she's done. "

<No more entries>

Dead at level ten, scourge attacked killed Mirveda before I could kill them all first time, wouldn't stop attacking npc even when I made sure to damage all of them. Second time too all aggro and ran out of mana. Came down to last mob and ran for it. Didnt' make it.

Some people complain WoW is too easy. Well, for people who want a challenge, take part in the Iron Man Challenge! I came across a thread from someone named Sandinhiseye about this, and it was fairly old. So, rather than necro it, I'm making a new thread. Taken from his thread, here are the rules:
1) No items equipped other than White or Gray items.
2) No heirlooms
3) No talent points- no specialization - you may train class abilities
4) No professions, primary or secondary, other than First Aid.
5) No food or water above vendor-quality white items.
6) No groups- no BG's, no instances, no raids, no quest groups. No guilds.
7) No enchants, scrolls, potions/elixirs, or glyphs.
8) No outside financial or equipment assistance (no gold or bags from other toons)
9) THE BIG ONE - if you die, ever, you delete that toon and start over at lvl 1
Any takers? If you're doing it, post on that character and we will track your progress.

Challenge you say? SO SHALL IT BE!

However. I have rules of my own. And the ones above may change. Mine are as thus.

1)The ONLY items I shall have or shall ever equip will be the ones I start with. That is IT.
2)Definitely no heirlooms. I loathe them.
3)This one, I'm changing. I'm going to place my first talent point and get my specialization. But that's it. I won't place any other talents. But with this, I WON'T be training any other abilities. AT ALL. So I will have at most 3 (4 counting racial) abilities
4)Agreed, with the exception of me not taking First Aid. I won't take ANY
5)This I agree with as well. Like I'll need much with how much health/mana I'll actually have xD
6)Agreed. Fully.
7)Again, fully agreed and I will abide by it.
8)Well, I'm not going to be getting much of anything anyway, what with the whole no items/chants/etc. Lol (However. I MIGHT *not sure yet* send my character bigger bags. I HATE having starter bags >.<)
9)I will not under any circumstance outside of quest items loot any creature. I also will not do anything with quest rewards other than destroy (Yes, destroy and not sale)
10)The death rule above. Agreed.

Challenge ACCEPTED. I shall edit this post with my brand new character once he's made (The name will never change, no matter how many times I have to remake him) He will be Wyrmrest, since that is where Selena made hers and I don't (I believe I don't) have other characters on that realm (If I do, I'll prob mail bags xD)

I'll update later! Let's get this goin!

Bjorand (I think that's how it's spelled.... I had it make a name for me xD) - Wyrmrest Accord - Horde - Forsaken - Warlock. O.o
Diary of Ironia

Yeeeah, shaddup, ye be a diary 'n not a journal, so git used to it. I ain't no frilly little bit of a thing, but I calls 'em like I sees 'em, and a diary is whatchur gonna be.

So the other day I decided that it was time for me to git on outta me Poppa’s baldin’ hair, ‘n go ‘n see the world. I’ve always had an itch for adventure, but me Poppa’d be awfully lonely if I ran off. But he’s got a lotta friends around now to keep an eye on him, so I decided, ye know Ironia, I may as well go ahead ‘n do it. Everythin’ll be alright. So I dun did it. Well, I’m startin’ it, anywho. Baby steps. I told me Poppa about it, and he hugged me, and had a good cry. Nothin’ like an elderly dwarf cryin’ to bring a gal to tears. He gave me an old gun, and some warm clothing, and wished me luck. I asked him where to go, and he told me about some friends down in Coldridge Valley that could probably use my help, or at least a good visitin’ to. So, that’s where I decided to start my adventure.

Along the way I befriended a kind ol' bear, and named him Ironhide. Named him after me Poppa, cuz it was the nickname they gave him durin’ his mountaineerin’ days. Kinda fittin', I guess. He ain't much for gettin' things killed, but the baddies must be figgerin' that a giant bear is more of a problem than the lass with the gun. I'll take it.

Our first day was set upon clearin' out the valley of the troggs and the trolls. It went pretty well, and I rustled up some supplies for the folks up there in Anvilmar. They were right thankful, that ye can be sure of. Afterwards I went to get on over to Kharanos, but the cave came a-tumblin' down before I could get outta the valley! I had to rely on a gnome contraption to get me and ol' Ironhide outta there. Some flying machine thingy. Maybe one day I'll build me one of those!

I got to Kharanos without a scratch, and bought myself some new clothes. Yeah, shaddup, ye stinkin' diary. A girl's gotta look good sometimes. So, after a wee bit o' shoppin' I went ahead and helped out the locals. The folks at the inn needed some more supplies, and there were mountaineers in trouble everywhere I went. Poppa'd be proud that I helped 'em out; he was a mountaineer once upon a danged time too, ya know.

Eventually I took part in a grand scheme to push back the dark iron dwarves that were messin' around the Ironforge Airfield. Why the dark irons were attackin’ I dinnae, but I ain’t gonna let no stinkin’ dark irons in without a fight. I got to bombin’ ‘em ‘n all while flyin’ another one of them flyin’ machines. I really gotta get me one o’ these! After layin’ a smackdown on the general I got myself over to Ironforge to talk to the empress about it. AND YEAH I’m usin’ fingerquotes quite liberally when I say empress, so don’t be gettin’ any ideas about nothin’.

The empress (wench) first went on sayin’ that the commander I helped out was some kinda traitor, but Muradin, ah, he set the record straight. He and the other guy (I dinnae much about the Wildhammers to be honest) started tellin’ her that if she can’t control her people than she has no place in the council! So she gave up the idea about the commander bein’ a traitor, and after a deduction had me arrest some dark iron ambassador. Somethin’ about Twilight’s Hammer. I dinnae what kinda nonsense this Twilight’s Hammer is, but it can all kiss me patootie for all I care. Anywho, he got sent away to prison after callin’ her baby some kinda obscenity or some such. I wasn’t really payin’ much attention. Nothin’ but in-fightin’ for all I can wager.

On me way outta the throne room I ran into a mountaineer who hurried his way on over here all the way from Loch Modon. He was a-beggin’ me to go n’ help ‘em out, so I figger that’ll be our next stop. Right after a little drink.

(On a side note, the only rule I'm tweaking is the death rule. Any death is a death, but if I die because a quest mechanic kills me, then it doesn't count. If Deathwing kills me, then it doesn't count. Falling to my death, getting killed by an enemy, and so on, will be the absolute death)
Are hunters allowed to spend pet talents, by the way?
01/09/2012 04:43 PMPosted by Ironia
Diary of Ironia

Nice read! Thank you for sharing. :)
01/09/2012 06:10 PMPosted by Ironia
Are hunters allowed to spend pet talents, by the way?

I wouldn't think so. I'd think that falls under no talents/specializations.

However. I have rules of my own. And the ones above may change. Mine are as thus.

1)The ONLY items I shall have or shall ever equip will be the ones I start with. That is IT.
3)This one, I'm changing. I'm going to place my first talent point and get my specialization. But that's it. I won't place any other talents. But with this, I WON'T be training any other abilities. AT ALL. So I will have at most 3 (4 counting racial) abilities
5)This I agree with as well. Like I'll need much with how much health/mana I'll actually have xD
6)Agreed. Fully.
7)Again, fully agreed and I will abide by it.
8)Well, I'm not going to be getting much of anything anyway, what with the whole no items/chants/etc. Lol (However. I MIGHT *not sure yet* send my character bigger bags. I HATE having starter bags >.<)
9)I will not under any circumstance outside of quest items loot any creature. I also will not do anything with quest rewards other than destroy (Yes, destroy and not sale)

I agree with this, only difference for me is I'll upgrade to higher level whites and will loot everything to sell later. Won't be getting help from anyone, I'll buy my own bag upgrades.
This is the above Mitzumaki.

So far, everything is fine. But, as you can see, I only got to level 2 before I did other things. xD

I chose warlock. Mainly because I think it'd be the hardest, or at least up there, class to do this with. Yes, I have a pet. But. I'm also a warlock.... xD

Besides the above rules, I'm adding these. I'll quote them again just so they're here with the new ones.

Some people complain WoW is too easy. Well, for people who want a challenge, take part in the Iron Man Challenge! I came across a thread from someone named Sandinhiseye about this, and it was fairly old. So, rather than necro it, I'm making a new thread. Taken from his thread, here are the rules:
1) No items equipped other than White or Gray items.
2) No heirlooms
3) No talent points- no specialization - you may train class abilities
4) No professions, primary or secondary, other than First Aid.
5) No food or water above vendor-quality white items.
6) No groups- no BG's, no instances, no raids, no quest groups. No guilds.
7) No enchants, scrolls, potions/elixirs, or glyphs.
8) No outside financial or equipment assistance (no gold or bags from other toons)
9) THE BIG ONE - if you die, ever, you delete that toon and start over at lvl 1
Any takers? If you're doing it, post on that character and we will track your progress.

6)Agreed. Fully.
7)Again, fully agreed and I will abide by it, with the exception of health and mana potions. I think I'm making enough sacrifices elsewhere to make this permissable
9)I will not under any circumstance outside of quest items and bags loot any creature. I also will not do anything with quest rewards other than destroy them (Yes, destroy and not sale)

Challenge ACCEPTED. I shall edit this post with my brand new character once he's made (The name will never change, no matter how many times I have to remake him) He will be Wyrmrest, since that is where Selena made hers and I don't (I believe I don't) have other characters on that realm (If I do, I'll prob mail bags xD)

I'll update later! Let's get this goin!

Bjorand (I think that's how it's spelled.... I had it make a name for me xD) - Wyrmrest Accord - Horde - Forsaken - Warlock. O.o

11)I MUST do EVERY SINGLE QUEST in EVERY zone I enter before moving on (With the possible exception of quests that kill me as part of it, should that count as a death. If it counts, I'll skip these quests and these quests ALONE)

That's it for now. Let's get back to it :D
So. For anyone that knows. Do the quests that kill you for the quest count in the kills counter?
This does sound like an interesting and hard challenge. I would attempt it but I lag like all the time. And constantly disconnect, sometimes I can go without d/c and even lag but not very often, so doing this challenge may get my toon killed.

May though. If was a Blood DK she could survive as I log back in. A Hunter might due to their pet (I know you probably can't do a DK). Priest is a very slim chance with Power Word. The rest would most likely die due to lag and/or disconnect.
This does sound like an interesting and hard challenge. I would attempt it but I lag like all the time. And constantly disconnect, sometimes I can go without d/c and even lag but not very often, so doing this challenge may get my toon killed.

May though. If was a Blood DK she could survive as I log back in. A Hunter might due to their pet (I know you probably can't do a DK). Priest is a very slim chance with Power Word. The rest would most likely die due to lag and/or disconnect.

Well, if that's your only concern, you could change the rule to be "no non-DC deaths." Your statistics would still show deaths, but you know if there were something that you could have done something about (beyond never fighting mobs, I mean).
Update: I pick up Holy spec because I couldn't stand just having Crusader Strike and Judgement. I haven't assigned any talent points, or broken any of the other rules. Just thought I should be up-front about this.
01/10/2012 12:04 AMPosted by Syntax
Update: I pick up Holy spec because I couldn't stand just having Crusader Strike and Judgement. I haven't assigned any talent points, or broken any of the other rules. Just thought I should be up-front about this.

I honestly don't blame you lol... paladins, while being one of my favourite classes, are not exactly known for their core abilities. Much of what they do comes from actual talents.

Though, wow, all of that Holy Power and nothing to really use it on outside of Word of Glory. It's going to be a looooong grind for you XD
Dear Ironjournal...or whatever this is,

My initial trials on knowing what I wanted to do in my life were not up to my perfect standards. Someone wanted me to be a druid, but these so called people have forgotten that the Sin'Dorei would never be caught playing with,
~it disgusts me to think~
with, Nature magic. Revolting thought.
Anyways, I thought, "Hey Jani, you would make a great Paladin."
So I tried that for a bit, and it was WAY to hard.
~Stupid light~
Anyways, So here I am again thrown out of my home with my trusted Dragonhawk named Autumn. She is orange and red..nevermind.
Point is, this..
Neubran's: Dead. Trolls and their leader: Dead.
Scourge? Well, I am not sure I want to engage with those walkers. DO you see what they look like?
I have my bow, some arrows, and skin tight leather. What more could I possibly need?
...Until later jounal.
Jani~

--------------------------------------------------------
Okay - initial thoughts on this.
First off, you certainly need somthing other than just a couple abilities.
Got to lvl 15 with a pally, and decided that since every fight I was healing with word of glory and only able to use Crusader Strike, that it wasn't going to make it very far.
Every time a mob dodged or parried, it was like near death.
Made a Druid (obviously not a Belf) and got to level 9 - died fighting the Venture Company.

SO - if you are going to use some Melee form, make sure you get something other than 2 abilities, and make sure you have the best armor you can get....first aid is a must here.

I also was thinking that Melee is certainly getting the heavy gimp, in that as you level you will need the even the small amount of hit/expertese just to keep swinging.

Right now looking at this hunter, I think I can reasonably make it to outland. The abilities of a hunter are nice - even without the talent tree.
I have been hit only in close quarters, or when a pair of mobs pull. Still didn't kill me. Pally? That would have been certain death.
I am not sure how the warlock fares here....
If I die, I will start over and keep trying! Thanks for the Idea!!!
01/10/2012 10:28 AMPosted by Ironmanchall
Here is my character. I have a talent point in feral by accident and Will be removing it today once some auctions clear. Otherwise so far so good, no deaths going very smoothly.

I believe one of the rules is not to be in a guild.
Other than that, I gotta know - how did you do it on a druid? I tried I know 4 times and died between lvl 8-12 every time - lol..
Good job!