WoW No Longer Compatible with Windows 2000

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 16 Next
We had to do it where I work as well. Between drivers which are not written for anything before XP and functionalities with 64-bit which don't work on earlier systems but that customers want to see in the software, we have had to move on. Yes, sometimes that means we keep a few creakers around for far longer than they should survive. We have one DOS computer that only gets turned on when certain old irreplaceable programs are needed, a couple of Win95, and only recently did the WinNT and Novell servers get replaced.

Lucky, getting our servers replaced is like pulling nails and then we're lucky if we get an actual real on after that and not just a virt clone off the main blade farm......

LOL, we've actually got a shared drive that's nothing but legacy ghosts and a closet full of working (barely) computers that are only compatable on those systems.

So yea, Bliz making this change, not surprising in the slightest. Especially with the move to real multi-threading and 64 bit systems.
Dunno who it is, but if steam's stats translate over to WoW, its less than .3% of users that have it.
01/09/2012 02:38 PMPosted by Udenlo
Dunno who it is, but if steam's stats translate over to WoW, its less than .3% of users that have it.

That .3% is the entire combined collection of 'other' OSs. Win2k is likely a fraction of that.
I'd venture to say that the W2k players are running it because of a primary need and just happen to run WoW on it as well. Now, that's not to say that it's time to upgrade the equipment attached to it as well, but I can tell you from first hand experience... Telling someone or a business that it's time to drop W2k is like telling them to fork over hundreds of thousands if not a few million dollars to update everything that machine is currently running.............

You are citing "business needs" for a video game.
If you can't separate out what you need for your business and what you need for a game... maybe it's time to re-prioritize.
Especially for an OS 10 years old.

So yes, for the sake of WoW - drop W2K.
For the sake of your business? Evaluate that yourself.
01/09/2012 02:00 PMPosted by Gargarensis
people still run w2k? have they been living under a rock or somthin? you can grab a 500-700 dollar windows 7 laptop that will run wow smoothly.

s/500-700/200/

I picked up a used laptop (for other purposes) that was $200 -- ThinkPad R60 -- and I had to try: yep, it runs WoW quite nicely. I don't get the kind of framerate I do on my gaming box, but it's better than some of the machines I've actually played on over the years. Win7, by the way.

WoW is far from bleeding edge as games go. You can find a computer for a couple hundred bucks in a used computer place, or at a flea market, or on Craigslist, that will probably be better than 90% of the machines we had on launch day.
It's 2012, people.
01/09/2012 02:51 PMPosted by Wolf

That .3% is the entire combined collection of 'other' OSs. Win2k is likely a fraction of that.

That is why I said less than .3%, and not .3%. If I had a hard number I wouldve said that hard number, instead I used the only stat that I know of.
Is it really wise to alienate any of your consumers when you're already losing subscriptions at an alarming rate? This seems like a poor course of action.

Even assuming just 5%(probably realistic), that's a hit of over 400,000 subscribers - literally overnight. I don't think this is a wise thing to do.
I think your 5% figure is insanely high. I'd be surprised if it was >1%

I also wondered how many people would be affected this change. So, I googled little and found this page

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

It's not game platform statistics (web site access), so we have to be very careful about the number, but by the end of 2010 (not 2011), Windows 2000 market share was 0.2%. By adjusting the number (removing Linux from the calculation), it was still 0.21%.

2011, they dropped Windows 2000 from the list, so now it might be statistical margin of error level.

Again, I'm not saying this is user side game platform share. It's web access share so naturally needed less demanding computers (2011 now includes mobile device access). But probably the number is not so different. (My guess is less than 0.1% now)

But even 0.1% for 10 million means 100k people. Still many people would get affected by this change.

edit: 0.1% of 10 million is 10k. silly mistake >.<

But even 0.1% for 10 million means 100k people. Still many people would get affected by this change.

Regardless, it's the last dozen people in horse-drawn carts crying foul that they're no longer allowed on the highway.

Continue to make the client convoluted and much more difficult to code for a fraction of a percent, or clean it up and purge unnecessary information.

It's up to the user to decide if losing WoW is enough of an incentive to upgrade, it's not upon Blizzard to keep supporting a completely obsolete OS.
01/09/2012 03:28 PMPosted by Chihaya

I would guess more like 0.01% of people running WoW are using Win2K.

Additionally, you must factor in people that have it on Win2K that do not have access to another PC or another OS (many do indeed dual-boot for XP). That would bring the number even lower.

I bet there's MAYBE 10k WoW subscribers this will actually effect.
I think your 5% figure is insanely high. I'd be surprised if it was >1%

I also wondered how many people would be affected this change. So, I googled little and found this page

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

It's not game platform statistics (web site access), so we have to be very careful about the number, but by the end of 2010 (not 2011), Windows 2000 market share was 0.2%. By adjusting the number (removing Linux from the calculation), it was still 0.21%.

2011, they dropped Windows 2000 from the list, so now it might be statistical margin of error level.

Again, I'm not saying this is user side game platform share. It's web access share so naturally needed less demanding computers (2011 now includes mobile device access). But probably the number is not so different. (My guess is less than 0.1% now)

I'd check that math. .1% would only be ten thousands users. That's a drop in the bucket. Less than that most likely.
I'd check that math. .1% would only be ten thousands users. That's a drop in the bucket. Less than that most likely.

correct. I realized it and come back here to fix it. my bad math, lol
01/09/2012 10:05 AMPosted by Ain
Is it really wise to alienate any of your consumers when you're already losing subscriptions at an alarming rate? This seems like a poor course of action.

Ignoring for a second that Windows 2000 was primary a business operating system, I don't even think that Microsoft is supporting it anymore.

Should Blizzard support IE6 for their website, so as not to alienate those customers that still use IE6 too?

Mac users went through this with Cataclysm and PowerPC and we survived - you can too ;P