WoW No Longer Compatible with Windows 2000

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 16 Next
W2000 was a great and one of the more secure opper. systems. And if you know how to set it up you can get anything out of it you could get from any other opperating system.Many people run it with *new* processors.But nowadays I think blizz doesn't listen to customers kind of like IBM did some years ago and woke up way to late.And some of the competitors are now free to play.
I played through Vanilla and some of BC on my windows 95 PC :o then I upgraded in 2007 and Wrath went fine, then Cata came and I got about 13 FPS in major cities...but now I have an Alienware so... But um...yeah ANYONE who still has a W2000 PC kinda needs to well, upgrade.
For those people still running a decade old OS (Same folks that blame Microsoft for getting hacked), you have two choices; Pay the piper for an upgrade or move to Linux (Free as in Beer).

I run Cataclysm on Linux with absolutely no issues, so the "I can't afford it" excuse does not fly.
W2000? Really?

I haven't seen a W2000 computer since High School (2005).

And to the people worried about XP: it's still a very popular OS. I used to do tech support for At&t Uverse and more people run XP than Vista. Thankfully.

W2000? Really?

I haven't seen a W2000 computer since High School (2005).

And to the people worried about XP: it's still a very popular OS. I used to do tech support for At&t Uverse and more people run XP than Vista. Thankfully.

I was using XP up until December 2010 when my old PC died. (I think Diablo 1 killed it. I had just gotten it to where it wouldn't look like someone vomited pastel-colored pixels.)

But WoW no longer supported by 2000 is an unfortunate inevitability.
I use XP , when they stop being compatible with my OS they lose my patronage...
simple as that , the new OS's suck .
and the next OS I change to will not be an MS one.

and all you losers who say "its( name the year) no one should be ( name the whatever you are trying to tell people they should be doing) "
I don't care whether you live or die so what makes you think I care what you think?

You posted it on a forum, thats all I need to know to figure out you care.

But I don't think blizz will miss one customer because they insist on using outdated software. Oh, and Win 7 is light years better than anything they've ever created. The only OS that even competes is Linux, and thats only when you know what you're doing. *thumbsup*
01/25/2012 05:35 AMPosted by Hambergers
W2000 was a great and one of the more secure opper. systems.

lol what? The security of 2000 is light years behind that of 7 or Server 2008 R2.

And if you know how to set it up you can get anything out of it you could get from any other opperating system.

Ummm.......x64 support would like to have a word with you. Along with a dozen other technologies that are not supported on 2000

Many people run it with *new* processors.

No they don't.

Sure if they don't want to actually get anything out of these processors. 2000 pro only allows for 2 CPUs. Even with Server 2000 you can only have 4 (unless you have an Advanced or datacenter copy to increase the count). 2000 doesn't distinguish between logical and physical processors. So if you have dual core system running on 2000 pro, that is the best you are going to get on non server. So that makes hyper threading pretty much pointless. If you have a quad or hex core processor, you might as well start disabling cores in the BIOS because the OS is not going to use them.

The same is true with RAM. 2000 pro and even 2000 server only recognize 4GB. If you have an advanced server or datacenter server license you can increase this to 8 and 32.

And lets not forget the basic app support (.net 3 and higher for example).....

2000 was great when it was new but it was far surpassed by XP (server 2003) and windows 7 (Server 2008, 2008 R2) in almost every way.
Well, when Blizzard dropped PPC support, they said only 1-3% of people were still using PPC systems.

Yeah, I was one of them. I got a solid 4fps in 25-man raids, too.

Now I have a new Mac, and Lion.

Also, I can't play Starcraft or Diablo 2.
just a question but what will the minimum and recomended system requirments be and will there be any working with system desighners too develope computers with wow optimization with the new expansion comming out and will there be a possible computer deal if you buy sutch a system that mists of pandora be sold with it and pre installed.
there are now alot of manufacturers out there that specialize in said systems
dell
vodoo machines
asus
acer
i know they are big names but you have a worldwide fan base this could be a great thing
also laptops with capability would be nice and availability through the blizzard store.
ands a collectors edition of sutch systems would be nice too.
01/16/2012 04:39 AMPosted by Jasla
7 and vista are still uncommon compared to XP.

Took a few seconds of googling to find news links to 7 surpassing XP's market share by late last year. Hardly "uncommon." For gaming the number is probably even more skewed towards 7.
01/09/2012 09:11 AMPosted by Mobbo
Wow... WoW on a computer with Windows 2000 on it prolly ran at what... 2 fps...

Why would it? Win 2K isn't that much different than XP.

If you were talking Win 95, 98, or Me, or something earlier, you'd have a point, but Win 2K, while it fell behind, did well enough for WoW for years, and probably still runs it okay.

It is time to move on though, for security reasons, DX11, lack of support from near everybody, not just Blizzard, and the fact that Win 7 just runs better.

;)
I have WIN2K on my first wow machine still, it plays alright even now though I have had to patch some things manually and run omega drivers.

1.4GHZ P-IIIS Tualatin's with 512KB L2
1.5GB PC133 2-2-2
ATi 9700 Pro
80GB Maxtor 7200RPM Hard drives in raid 0

I can run 10man raids with it still if I turn AA and AF off.

I have an old quad socket 8 system that has NT4.0 on it still.
Good riddance. 7 is the bomb. Mac is even better.
i like the way you think lol
01/09/2012 09:08 AMPosted by Omegal
Crap... no playing at work now :(

Lol, tell them it's time to upgrade, for security reasons obviously ;)

i like the way you think abou things xD
When i started at my job almost 4 years ago, we had win 2000 here and I was suprised back then that it was on all the computers.

A year later they were upgraded to xp. I couldn't imagine still being on 2000, nevermind ever running wow on it.
A new operating system costs money some people don't have.

A new machine costs money some people don't have.
if money is really that bad then maybe these people shouldn't be playing a game with a monthly fee anyway. seriously with the amount 6 months of wowtime costs you could buy a new computer that's abt 5 times as good as one of those old old incredibly ancient windows 2000 machines.
Welcome to the pain of the PPC Mac users and the reality of OS support.

Blizzard has to rely on OS programmers/companies to provide the basic platform for the game. For reasons of OS copyright, third party software/hardware apps, and, thus, simple practicality Blizz cannot maintain the game very long on abandoned hardware or software platforms. They would prefer to keep us playing as long as possible no matter how poorly our computers render the game because they want our money.

Not everyone can go out and buy a new computer when the old hardware or OS gets abandoned. Thankfully my wife sees WOW and my computer requirements as a relatively cheap entertainment source for me. So far it has been worth 3 computers to her.