Disenchanting for infinite dust

New Player Help and Guides
I'm leveling enchanting and need infinite dust. Wowhead lists 200 items that may disenchant into infinite dust.

Is there a simple criteria I can use for figuring out where to farm or buy items on the AH to disenchant?
In general, dusts come from gear and essences come from weapons. Infinite dust is a Wrath mat, and comes from level 67-80 Northrend green gear.
01/11/2012 04:18 PMPosted by Jakjak
In general, dusts come from gear and essences come from weapons. Infinite dust is a Wrath mat, and comes from level 67-80 Northrend green gear.

I checked the AH and about half of those disenchant to Infinite Dust and half to Arcane Dust.
01/11/2012 05:10 PMPosted by Fierytouch
I checked the AH and about half of those disenchant to Infinite Dust and half to Arcane Dust.

If it disenchants into Arcane Dust, it's a BC item. Infinite Dust comes from Wrath greens as already mentioned.

If it disenchants into Arcane Dust, it's a BC item. Infinite Dust comes from Wrath greens as already mentioned.

It can be confusing because there are level 67 Burning Crusade items as well as level 67 Wrath items. To be safe, you could only buy items 71-76. That would guarantee Wrath only items. The way to tell the difference between BC, Wrath, Cata items are the ilevels but unless you have them memorized its easy to buy the wrong items.
01/11/2012 05:15 PMPosted by Thander
The way to tell the difference between BC, Wrath, Cata items are the ilevels but unless you have them memorized its easy to buy the wrong items.

Is there a list I can refer to for those ilevels?
Vanilla tops out around iLevel 65 or so. BC starts around 85 and goes until about 110ish. WotLK starts around 125 and continues until around 175 or so. Anything after that is likely Cataclysm.
01/11/2012 06:52 PMPosted by Avanna
WotLK starts around 125 and continues until around 175 or so.

Wrath gear goes considerably past 175, unless there's another criterion being discussed here that I missed completely. [edit: aha. *green* Wrath gear probably tops out at 175, which I guess would be most relevant for getting infinite dust]

@Fierytouch: You might have luck making things with Jewelcrafting and/or Tailoring -- or having them made by other people -- and then blowing up the results for enchanting mats. If you're good friends with a tailor, you can supply mats to each other and both skill up that way.
Also there is an add on called enchantrix that will show you what each item will disenchant into IE

Random Staff of stats

Vendor 2g

sold by 3 merchants

disenchants into

75% Hypnotic Dust
25% Lesser Celestial Essence

Abyss Crystal can be shattered into dust/essence

If you don't have the skill, find someone who does.

It will save an enormous amount of time.
01/11/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Jilixx
Also there is an add on called enchantrix that will show you what each item will disenchant into IE

Enchantrix is a part of Noraganas Autioneer add on or of her Gatherer add on.
They're a nice suite of mods that work togather to not only tell you what breaks into what with percetages ,as mentioned above, but to use AH scan data to evaluate the value based on market ( or other ) values. If you get gatherer i would reccomend getting the data file that can be inported to display currently know herb or Ore nodes.

Lokki
Shadowmight Rings may be goood for you, they are crafted by Jewelcrafters, the mats are 1 Eternal Earth and 1 Eternal Shadow. back in wrath I DE'd these anytime i needed Dust, they usually yielded anywhere from 4 - 8 dust at a time.