[Interest?] Scourge-Based RPG Thread

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
1 2 3 12 Next
Okay, so I have an idea for a new thread, it's in the planning stage and I want to know what people think before I start. I think it has a lot of potential if I get some enthusiastic posters, and will just be a blast and refreshing to do something different for a change.

First and foremost, in this thread you will play members of the Scourge, that is almost literally the only thing set in stone. You can be a dark and pale old Necromancer, a bone construct, a shimmering spectral Banshee. I wanted the members of this thread to have fun playing dark and evil creatures, and fighting the good, righteous light-wielding innocents for once! This thread will sate all your dark and evil hungers!

Secondly, most likely unless heavy opinion sways me, this will be based on my Walking Damned RPG system. I feel the need to stress that it is beyond simple to grasp as a player, ask anyone in my Walking Damned thread and they will tell you. It's very easy to understand, and very easy to play once you learn the ropes. This will not only help define class roles, encourage variation, but it will also add the fun of the dice to the system.

Thirdly, where I am basing this is up for argument, but I am thinking right now to follow the events of the Scourge campaign from Warcraft 3, from the rebirth of Arthas through the fall of Quel'Thalas, to the summoning of the Legion. If interest persists, it will continue up to the very creation of Arthas, The Lich King, and the dominance of Icecrown.

- - -

Now, the discussion, questions, so-forth...

[Are you interested in this Scourge-Based Thread Idea?]

Does it strike your fancy? Do you like the idea? I am encouraging ALL roleplayers to try this out with me, I think it will be a blast. If you are worried about your skills or time dedication, don't worry, trust that I want -you- in my thread. I want you to roleplay with me, I honestly believe I will be able to make you have fun.

[Are you interested in the RPG aspect of the thread?]

Do you honestly believe a normal thread would be better? Do you love the dice? Do you think I should add to the system? Do you think the system takes away from the roleplay? Any and all of your thoughts on ANY of my RPG systems will be appreciated. I am struggling to perfect them, and want to make a system that people may even be able to adapt, or at the very least I can use through many RPGs.

[Do you think the Warcraft-3 timeline is good?]

Do you think I should set it further forward? I love warcraft 3 and I love the idea of exploring all history (from orcs to night elves etc) through threads. This will be one of the first. Perhaps I could explore the human campaigns as well? I don't know. Maybe you think I should set it during Wrath of the Lich King? Or even newer events? Thoughts? Discussion?

- - -

Now for some more specific questions. I'd like everyone to answer the above, but the following is for anyone who can answer. I'm still exploring technical aspects of the thread, and want to know opinions. Currently the thread is an RPG based Scourge-themed RPG set right after the fall of Lordaeron to the Scourge. Players will play Undead under the command of Arthas, who ravage and destroy all life in Lordaeron! :D

A little more context on the systems. Currently I am tossing up between two systems, one where players will pick a base character who will either be, (Living, Zombie, Skeleton, Spectral), all merely states of living, and then like in Walking Damned or other RPG systems, advance through regular class systems picking your new skills etc.

The other is, you may pick between dozens and dozens of Character Specializations, from the Ghoul to the Banshee. There will still be lots of advancement and decision making, yet you will have unique and creativity huge swathing character elements that affect how you play. As a ghoul you would be a melee monster, yet as a gargoyle you would be a hit and run flyer... etc.

((1/2))
[Do you think I should go with the base character and let the player build up completely? Or do you think I should provide the host of character template options that will encourage creative variation and fun. I'm leaning towards the second, but perhaps I should do both?]

For an example of the above for those not familiar with the system. The base character would provide you with a state of being, similar to picking a race in any RPG. You would then pick your class, (things like hunter, warrior, mage), and then your starting inventory and skills etc would be derived. As you leveled up you would get abilities, skills, talents, spells, etc. In my previous systems, the advancement system was decision based, meaning you always had options.

If I went with the second option, at the beginning you would choose a unit. E.g. Ghoul, Nerubian, Gargoyle, Acolyte. (Some would be part of others, e.g. Acolyte=>Necromancer/Lich/Cultist, Nerubian=>Crypt Fiend/Crypt Lord/Crypt Caster etc.) These would provide you with huge character elements. E.g. Picking the Ghoul removes charisma as a stat, but provides with with a large strength boost. It also forbids you from using weapons, however your claws do tremendous unarmed damage and you can provide enchantments and bonuses to them.

[Technical: Should I include Death Knights as playable?]

Should I include being able to be Death Knights? Technically, in the era when I am going to run it (unless my mind is changed), there wouldn't be any Death Knights. But I know lots of people would want to be. However then again Death Knights may detract from the whole mindless fun Scourge feel? Aren't we all minions of Arthas?

- - -
- - -

Now for some honest opinions about future ideas and concepts. Firstly...

[Would you be interested in more warcraft 3, history based RPG threads?]

Perhaps one based on Thrall's Escape from Durnholde? Perhaps one based on the Night Elves fight against the Legion? Perhaps one based on the founding of Durotar? Is this something that strikes peoples fancy? Perhaps you don't want them to use my RPG system, would you want free-standing threads like that? Perhaps you want more recent threads?

[And... would you join?]

Note: I'm not abandoning Walking Damned or anything, :P, it'll just end eventually and perhaps even lead into this... I don't know. :D

((2/2))
1.) I really would love to try something scourge based, but I still think it's somewhat difficult. For example, you noted playing as a bone construct and ghouls and zombies, but aren't they all just mindless? I don't think everyone has the skill to make an intriguing post from the view of a mindless being.

However, there are still positions in the scourge that I believe would work really well. But they have some problems. For example, perhaps a San'layn or banshee? However, you'd have to wait until Arthas sacks Quel'Thalas in order to play them.

Cultists and Nerubians sound fun, but that is a small number to choose from if you want to put more depth to your character. (As, Meep, you could probably make a ghoul sound awesome, but I know I rely heavily on emotion and thoughts to portray my characters.)

2.) I honestly don't think I have a good enough understanding to answer this question, but I took a look at your RPG thread and so I'll try hehe. First off, I like standard rp threads out of personal preference, but I'd like to try something new.

Firstly the number scare me, but I'm sure I would adapt. Secondly, RnG scares me too, but I can handle that as well. My main concern is having to rely on a single person to keep the thread moving. For example, would you make a post and then have to wait on the TM to hand out the rolls? I also noted how you finish an IC part after a person's post. Like Bob attempts to cast his magic [Action-1: Arcane missiles.] And then you would describe the success or failure.

I love your writing style, but one of my favorite about rp is describing the fullness of a character's actions. How their spell looks, what it feels like to cast it and so on. I'm not sure if you actually describing the effect, or if you have the opportunity describe it yourself and then wait to get the failure/succes and see it described by you(Meep) or what. You can acredit this to my lack of understanding of dice-based rpgs.

3.) I personally like the time-line, but until you get through certain areas, playing a banshee or Death Knight would be impossible.

4.) I don't think I understand enough about the whole system, to comment. But the ideas themselves seem quite interesting.

5.) If you went with the WC3 campaign, then I don't think it's possible. However, I encourage more minded classes as my main fear is posting simply:

Ray the zombie stumbled across the wet, dark terrain. His once flesh covered nose was assailed with the delicious scent of living flesh. His hunger and dark loyalty were the only things driving him on, and he would only stop once he got his dinner. [Action: Search for human pizza]

Uhh... That actually wasn't as bad as I thought, but I'm still hoping to work with a more sipirited character hehe.

6.) I love the idea of history based rps. Until I experience a turn-based one however, I can't say I want them all be dice-themed. History rps are a good idea in my opinion though.

7.) Yes, I would most definitely join. I love the concept and the idea of trying something new. I think it would be really fun. :D
01/08/2012 05:06 AMPosted by Meep

Yes. Actually, i've had a character idea in mind of a Death Knight who uses a geist for his sight because he lost his eyes. I might just go with the geist because honestly, who doesn't love those things?

Perhaps. I'll take your word on it if you say it's very fun. I can give a better answer when we get to the warring stage in FTA.

Sure. However, I may need a timeline, or just link a wowpedia article that I can read. I only played like 5% of the first mission :'(

01/08/2012 05:07 AMPosted by Meep

No. Like you said, it detracts from being a minion of the Lich King. Perhaps if the Death Knight was a simple foot soldier trained in the arts of necromancy and such?

[And... would you join?]

Probably. It'll depend on my time schedule.
1. YES. Even though I've never RPed here before, don't mistake me for a newbie. I have roleplayed many times on other forums, just have to grow into these forums. So I know what I'm talking about when I say that it's a good idea and you should go with it.

2. I'd prefer just standard RP, but go ahead and do whatever.

3. I don't know, some of what you're saying there is news to me. XD

4. Second.

5. Yes, but only when we get to that part in history.

6. Maybe.

7. Most likely.
1) Very interested. Scourge is just really awesome, it has been awesome, and it will continue to be awesome. Plus, Meep fanboy here. /blush

2) No... I read your Walking Damned thing... very great storyline, but the dice just killed my interest. I really just prefer regular threads, since they're so, well, easy, yet they're still such fun. Point enforced by the fact that almost every single thread is normal.

3) I like WC3, though I think another good place would be maybe a bit before or during the final battle of Icecrown, you know when we kill Arthas, and we're desperately trying to push the Light out, maybe send in some undercover agents to find out battle plans, and they're right at Corp'rethar: the Horror Gate. We got maybe 300, 400 yards before they're at the entrance. We're doing everything we can to make sure they don't push through. Thread ends when LK gets killed, or maybe when they finally push through. I think it'd be fun.

4) Now this I like. I already thought of some race/class combos. Here they are.

1) Race: Human
Classes: Necromancer, spy, DK if you go with my time period.
2) Race: Zombie (Basically the more mindless members of the Scourge)
Classes: Ghoul, Spike ghoul (Minus raw damage for extra brain power and such), actual zombie, skeleton, one or two abominations
3) Race: Spectral
Classes: Shade, ghost, banshee, one or two Liches, tell if this is wrong section for our undead caster friends
4) Race: Nerubian
Classes: Crypt fiend, one or two crypt lords, crypt stalker, crypt caster, crypt darter (U know lil flying dudes, except these are actually pretty big)

5) If you go with my idea, yes. Why not? He still had Bloodbane and Saurfang, why not others?

6) That'd be great. Would love that.

7) Definitely, just remember, dice might deter me a bit.
Would I like to play Scourge? The answer is as simple as the quote in the following:

HELL YES!

But, there is only a bit of problems that I, personally, have against some of the things. I'll just go with all the questions and say just about everything I have in my opinions.

Just answered and I do believed I would love to RP one with every fiber of my being.

I will admit to you, RPG aspect scares the living Hell out of me. I tried to look at your OOC thread for Walking Damned so I can understand who the characters were, what was the OOC run down of the story and what not...and then I see all that stats and stuff and I just exited out.

I don't know why...maybe it's because I never did a RPG before, at least diced. I've always played World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Perfect World, Forsaken World, Maple Story, and so on and so forth...and neither of them ever involved dice.

Absolutely! But, for this to be really effective and enjoyable by a lot of people, I'm not sure if this is the best move. After all, back then, the only free thinking people they had were Necromancers. I'm sure people would jump at the opportunity to be a Ghoul or something, but then would hate it because of the aspect of the character is that they are literally a slave and can't think for themselves, having to only RP their characters performing the will of the higher up without so much as a second thought.

It would probably be best to go with a WoW setting. I believe someone had done a Scourge base thread where some people in the Scourge survived the death of Arthas and met up somewhere. And then they used their new independent minds to make rise to a new Scourge, one that could kill the poser King and make the living and Forsaken traitors pay for ruining them. Sadly, that didn't last very long.

That maybe the best choice of action, but we'll see...that provides the most choices in full honesty.

[Do you think I should go with the base character and let the player build up completely? Or do you think I should provide the host of character template options that will encourage creative variation and fun. I'm leaning towards the second, but perhaps I should do both?]

Not sure about this one. It may show that you can progress your character through hard work and determination, but when I think the concepts of the undead....it kinda fades away.

Realistically, I don't see someone looking at a zombie who has been through five battles while others couldn't survive a quarter of the first one, and then give him a magic boost up to where *is now a ghoul*, or however it is going to go down...when a skeleton appears, the Necromancer wants a skeleton. When a zombie appears, the Necromancer wants a zombie.

The army of the Undead isn't an army, it's a slave army. Rank ups or character growth is practically non-existent unless you are part of the free-thinking crowd. The mindless slaves, ain't gonna be nothing but mindless slaves and nowhere else.

WC3 timeline? No...WoW timeline? Possible.

I like WC3, I like RPs, and I like history...so I suppose I could get into this. But the one problem with WC3 based stuff is that it doesn't give much room to be flexible with the characters and what the characters can do.

WC3 is set while WoW is loose, because they were built that way. So, in WC3 style, it might be hard to do. Not impossible, just somewhat improbable. But, it could be done. Just got to be careful.

[And... would you join?]

Well, I suppose I could. The concept of RPG still scares the Hell out of me and I really don't like the idea of being nothing but a mindless slave. A lot of my characters are radical thinkers and wise men, so it would be a complete and utter turn around for me to do something like that (I tried RPing as a Necromancer, and it just didn't stick).

But, I don't have many options in Roleplay at the moment and I could use some resharpening on my style, so...yeah, I would join.

Now, I'm trying not to jerk anyone or being the 'douche' of the thread, but I'm just laying down what I think and I hope people can respect that. After all, you gotta make people think things really through-out and make it enjoyable for everyone.

Meep, I love the concept, absolutely LOVE it. But a few things would have to fleshed out before people will start warming up to it.

F*ck yes.

F*ck yes.

F*ck yes. I want to RP as one of the first death knights risen as Arthas! I want to crush Lordaeron underneath my saronite plated boots and then travel across the sea to help destroy the world with the Legion and then I want to face down Illidan's hordes on the very slopes of Icecrown!!!!!

I like the second :) character variation makes for more in-depth character development in my opinion.

If you don't I will be a sad panda. I think that for death knights they shouldn't be immediately super powerful. Their power should correspond to that of what the Lich King can actually give them which is very little at this point in time not only that but they were raised by a not entirely true death knight (Arthas) so the amount of necrotic energy they have inside them is not so great.

Yes. Warcraft 3 in my opinion (excluding the Starcraft storyline) is Blizzard's best.

[And... would you join?]

Duh.
Are you interested in this Scourge-Based Thread Idea?]

As some one who played and beat Warcraft III numerous times and did custom games as the Scourge and nothing else.... Yea :D

I think it would be good just as a normal thread. If people want to do dice, go ahead. I won't stop 'em. :D

Hell yes. I loved playing the orcs and Scourge the most. Mainly Scourge because if you have enough necromancers and ghouls, you have a never ending army :D

Second!!!! That seems like a great idea.

01/08/2012 07:43 AMPosted by Lanaid
No. Like you said, it detracts from being a minion of the Lich King. Perhaps if the Death Knight was a simple foot soldier trained in the arts of necromancy and such?

If it was by you..... Yea. I've seen a lot of your threads on this forum and they all turned out great :D

[And... would you join?]

Depending on my time schedule like Lanaid said.
(( Important: If I didn't directly reply to you, it doesn't mean I missed you. I read everything that was said and appreciate all the feedback ))

1.) I really would love to try something scourge based, but I still think it's somewhat difficult. For example, you noted playing as a bone construct and ghouls and zombies, but aren't they all just mindless? I don't think everyone has the skill to make an intriguing post from the view of a mindless being.

I think that's one of the main obvious problems with this idea, but I think with the inclusion of my RPG system, it will help lighten that. I know it's hard to post as a mindless being, but what I'm expecting from this RP is... suspension of disbelief, basically. Have fun, be a ghoul that gargles and talks, "Grrahlll, keeel humans, ggrahgl." You can interact with the other scourge, hell you could play a geist that's reall sophisticated.

That's the same idea with the timeline, if... you guys don't mind suspending disbelief, we could have a lot of fun playing things that would theoretically impossible. Then again, it would probably be just as easy to bump the timeline forward.

01/08/2012 07:38 AMPosted by Aleiran
I also noted how you finish an IC part after a person's post.

Ah, yes. Well the thing is, it's entirely optional. Basically what happens in my thread is the poster invokes the action first. E.g. "Bob lunges forward," then I determine the success, "Bobs blade severs the arm from the zombie." It's the way it has to be because of the dice. HOWEVER, I can adapt, and am willing to leave the IC element to the actual poster. It's something I have fun with, but it's easy enough in most cases for me to simply do this.

Poster: Bob conjures a field of electricity [Action: Lightning Field]

GM/Meep: [Manifestation Roll etc, math math math.. ((Successs))

Then I WONT post the fluff, specifically for you, and I'll let YOU describe the effects. I will list the damage, the amount of enemies effected, and leave the description up to you. I can do that for people who want to do their own Success/Failure/Description type deal.

7.) Yes, I would most definitely join. I love the concept and the idea of trying something new. I think it would be really fun. :D

Thank you for giving your honest opinion, I'm taking it all into consideration. But just to attempt to quell your fears. Most of the IC that isn't combat is done freely like any thread, I may do dice rolls here and there but you rarely have to WAIT on me. It's combat which gets slowed down and reliant on other posters and me. But I still constantly work towards making it dynamic enough so that you can have fun.

The important part about any of my threads is I try and get inside the heads of my posters and make the best experience for them. If you are in my thread, I will make huge changes, I will do anything to try and make you enjoy yourself.

- - -

I think you're right. I'm thinking of leaving Death Knight, as perhaps a specialization way later in the advancement paths. E.g. you can spend your life as a skeletal warrior, or even acolyte of some kind. And one day, maybe be a Death Knight. I don't know.

But yes, I love the idea of just mindlessly destroying things. You can have enough personality to make it fun, but the thread will be built around just destroying things and having fun. I don't think the RPG element will detract from the fun.

2) No... I read your Walking Damned thing... very great storyline, but the dice just killed my interest. I really just prefer regular threads, since they're so, well, easy, yet they're still such fun. Point enforced by the fact that almost every single thread is normal.

Hmm. Perhaps I -will- just do it normal, despite loving the dice so much. But... hmm.
Damn you, Meep! Now I got the urge to do nothing but play WC3!
don't know why...maybe it's because I never did a RPG before, at least diced. I've always played World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Perfect World, Forsaken World, Maple Story, and so on and so forth...and neither of them ever involved dice.

The thing is, all those games DO involve dice. You just don't see them. And that's basically like my RPG thread. In the background, I roll the dice, in the background I make all the skill checks. (You may SEE the math, but you don't have to DO any of it). All RPG systems like Dragon Age and World of Warcraft are built upon dice-rolls and chance.

I want to stress about my RPG system that, it's not that complex. You roleplay just like anyone else, a character like any other thread. You have a character sheet with statistics etc, which I reference when making skill checks, but ultimately it's just Roleplay until you get to combat. Now combat with the dice is the great part. You can do epic things, things which aren't just who can write the most ridiculous battle. You do epic things because of your character, and sheer luck, or sheer misfortune.

The army of the Undead isn't an army, it's a slave army. Rank ups or character growth is practically non-existent unless you are part of the free-thinking crowd. The mindless slaves, ain't gonna be nothing but mindless slaves and nowhere else.

Ah yes, but you're not really commanded. It's hard to explain without the thread, but basically you're a collection of random undead who tag along for the march of the scourge. You're given free reign to enjoy cinematic experiences of the warcraft 3 storyline, while murdering and destroying anything in your path. Ultimately it's just an opportunity to kill and fight, interact with each other using suspension of disbelief to have some comedy, have some drama, etc...

[@ Ashok]

:) Of course, Death Knights will be ON PAR with Ghouls at the beginning, how ever completely ridiculous and retarded that sounds. Your role would be somewhat of a leader, but you've got things like GHOUL brute strength, DEATH KNIGHT leadership/auras, ACOLYTE support caster, NERUBIAN ranged DPS. That is all of course if I go with the RPG system, otherwise none of it matters, not even one bit lol. :\

However, I'm still contemplating the whole DK aspect. I'm considering you can start off as just a generic skeleton warrior or something, and eventually advance into a DK? I'm not sure.

Damn you, Meep! Now I got the urge to do nothing but play WC3!

Have that urge, all the time... ;)
I think you're right. I'm thinking of leaving Death Knight, as perhaps a specialization way later in the advancement paths. E.g. you can spend your life as a skeletal warrior, or even acolyte of some kind. And one day, maybe be a Death Knight. I don't know.

But yes, I love the idea of just mindlessly destroying things. You can have enough personality to make it fun, but the thread will be built around just destroying things and having fun. I don't think the RPG element will detract from the fun.

Terrible to leave them out :( what I think could be done as you said have it be an advancement way late in their tree but give the opportunity for someone to RP one of the soldiers who accompanied Arthas north and be one of those that came back with him as an undead servant. They may not be what we would consider Death Knights now but they would at least become the death knights that we know of now.

EDIT: Damn you for editting :P

I am thinking of the Thaurissan comic and other information from lore that wasn't specified in WC3 that talks about Arthas not leaving all of his men behind. They are for all intensive purposes like skeletal warriors at that point but they become death knights because they aren't "entirely" mindless if that makes sense :P

I just know one of my characters (Tai Stronghammer) was with Arthas in Northrend and was turned into a Death Knight prior to Arthas' return to Lordaeron and from then on served as one :P I'm just thinking that I would RP him in this RPG :P
[IN SUMMARY]

Theme: Scourge-based, definitely gonna do it.
RPG: Torn 50/50 literally, I have no idea. I'm going to give you all a big example of how the RPG system will work, which will either help to quell some fears, or turn people away. I'm going to go with what I feel is best after that.
Timeline: A little torn, still edging towards warcraft 3. I think that while the mindless aspect has been brought up, this thread is not about character development. You have a personality, a bare minimum mostly, but it's all about having fun mucking about as an undead creature, killing guys, enjoying the experience.

I'm still thinking, please continue to post opinions.

Edit: And sure Ashok, that's definitely a possibility.
I still find this a great idea, and I can see what you mean that every RPG has a dice hidden in the background. But I haven't really went out of my way to actually add up stats and put it into effect for the game.

Like, up close dice...not hidden and subtle dice. But, still be interesting to try out...try something new.

And I would love a WC3 timeline, never really RPed something that took place before WoW, so it would be yet another unique thing.
(( Yeah. Well. I will be honest and say that I really want to do the RPG system. Because it is impossibly fun for me. I have so much fun, beyond imagining, rolling the dice for my Walking Damned thread. I'd bet I have much more fun than them xD, just because it's something I love doing.

However, if there is strong opposition to it, I promise dearly, I don't want to do a RPG system if no one is going to enjoy it. So... just have a look at the following 2 posts, the first is a non-combat example, the second is combat ))

[RPG SYSTEM EXAMPLE]

OOC will be done in quotes, to solve the problem of OOC within OOC. In this example, this is a completely made up example of future possibility in the thread. I will start this off with a quick cast-list and then show you what it would be like, if I was to take a snippet of how the thread is played using my RPG system. ((I'm doing this with limited time and energy, so note that all IC descriptions etc, will be much more full and well written in the actual thread))

In this example, the first half is simple roleplay, not combat, it works just like a normal thread. The second half is combat, to give you an example of how it works.

Cast List:
Timmy: Grahhl the Ghoul: Level 3 Ghoul
Billy: Zargoth the Evil: Level 3 Acolyte
James: Nightstalker: Level 3 Gargoyle
Lucy: Bones: Level 3 Skeletal Archer

GM/Meep

In front of the rabble of undead, the forest seemed to grow darker and thicker with every step. The ground was brown and grey under their feet, the gravel path had all but disappeared as the orange-red autumn leaves drew closer and closer inwards. As the undead would continue to walk, the forest would reach the point where continuing on meant pushing through nature itself.

Timmy

"Grahhl don't like trees!" the Ghoul snapped, lashing out with his arms at the trees that got closest to him, some leaves even sticking to the dried blood on his person. He wandered along and let out a howl as a twig straying from a tree caught him in the eye. "Grahgghhl!" was his defiant roar of annoyance as he had to dislodge the stick.

Billy

"Oh be silent," Zargoth snapped, "We've been tasked to investigate this area you mindless cretin. You will be silent or I will report you to the higher ups and have you scrapped for an abomination." The Acolyte sighed, taking his silver ritual dagger from his robes and beginning to slice forward. They had a mission, and he dared not return a failure...

"See anything up there Nightstalker?" he called upwards

James

The wind whipped past the stone flesh of the gargoyle as he sailed through the air above the forest. He couldn't see much at all. The tree cover went on infinitely, there was no break and no reprieve from the forest. It took him a minute, but finally the beast gave up and collapsed down through the trees to try and find the party again.

The gargoyle broke down onto its legs and walked along, shaking its head to Zargoth.

Lucy

Bones strung an arrow in his quiver, his jaw rattling, "Death. Humans. Must. Die."

Bones peered through the forest, attempting to see any trace of the outpost they were supposed to scout, but they seemed to have hidden it as well as elves. Damned humans, always fleeing and wriggling like worms against the inevitable.

Okay, notice how that was basically like Roleplay. Of course you'll have to look past my pathetic writing examples! But you still get it? So far, dice isn't even relevant. You are simply a minion of the scourge, roleplaying as one. There's a little suspension of disbelief in that, giving a ghoul some personality, and even a skeletal archer. But, do you all have opposition to that? Personality I see that as being really fun.
Now for a combat example. I'm not going to make whole character sheets here, but I'm going to give the bare minimum so you can understand what moves the people are doing in combat, etc. Basically how combat works (and this will all be explained when you actually join the thread when I eventually make it), is you each have a turn posting your (3 actions), everything you can do is listed with how many actions it takes. Things like moving, talking, basic interacting, do NOT take actions, you can do them freely. I didn't want to restrict roleplay during combat.

Timmy: Grahhl the Ghoul: Level 3 Ghoul
Weapon: Claws: (2d10), Rending, Diseased
Rending: Attacks ignore enemy armour
Diseased: Attacks poison an enemy on odd damage, doing (d10) damage per turn

Talents:
[Ghoul Flurry]: -Action(3)- Can spend 3 actions to viciously maul an opponent. Works like a regular flurry, however you may take both an agility and a strength test, and all degrees of success are how many times you hit.

Billy: Zargoth the Evil: Level 3 Acolyte
Weapon: Ritual Dagger: (1d10+2), Ritual
Ritual: Upon odd damage, heals the wielder
Spells:
[Shadowbolt]: (10): Does (2d10) shadow damage, plus your intellect modifier. When hit an enemy must take a spirit test or take an additional (d10) of damage per degree of failure.

James: Nightstalker: Level 3 Gargoyle
Weapon: Vicious Claws: (3d5+2)
Armour: Natural Stoneskin: 3
Talents:
[Swoop]: -Action(2)- Swoops down from above, doing regular combat damage and knocking the enemy back.

Lucy: Bones: Level 3 Skeletal Archer
Weapon: Skeletal Bow: (1d10+4), Damned
Damned: Upon odd damage, the enemy must make a spirit test or lose an action their next turn
Talents:
["Dead"eye]: -Passive- Called shots by the archer do an additional (d10) of damage.

((Note: The learning curve of learning all your abilities and talents is relatively slow))

GM

Suddenly, bandits! <insert long and detailed post about bandits appearing>

((Here, I would do all the maths. I'm not going to post it because it would take me 5ish minutes to do, and you actually don't need to see it at all))

[Turn Order: Bones, Nightstalker, Bandits, Zargoth, Grahhl]

Lucy

Bones scowls at pathetic human bandits, writes long and intriguing post, etc. [Action(2): Aim, Action: Called Shot to the head]

James

Nightstalker leaps up into the air, coming down with an unholy fury [Action: Swoop]. He then proceeds to maul some faces off. [Action: Attack]

Billy

Zargoth makes a hmmph sound, and then immediately fires off a shadowbolt [Action: Shadowbolt] then moves forward and stabs his blade into the closest bandit. [Action: Attack x2]

Timmy

"GRRARRARGHL!" Timmy lunges forward and sinks his teeth into the closest enemy, flailing wildly in all directions and mauling everything he can see. [Action(3) - Ghoul Flurry]

Note how everyone simply does a flavour post first, stating their actions, but they don't have to roll any dice. Now, the GM, posts a large post responding with the dice rolls and everything that happened in combat. Note that how the Gm explains everything that happened, if people were willing, the GM could let them describe the effects of their own actions.

GM

Bones
[[Called Shot(Agi)
Modifiers: +10 Deadeye, +10 Close Range
Bones(37+10+10): 35: (+2 Success)]]

((Note here, that while the above might seem confusing, it's relatively simple. It states the action, and the statistic being tested, in this case a Called Shot, and Agility. It then states all the modifiers, in this case Bones gets +10 for having the Deadeye talent, and +10 for being at close range. The final line is Bones' roll. Bones agility is 37, and he/she gets both the +10 and the other +10. The result of her dice roll is 35, and that means she PASSES, with 2 degrees of success))

[Damage Roll: (1d10+4)+2 = 12 x 2 = 24]
((Double Damage for Headshot))

Bone's arrow strikes true, connecting with the head of the enemy and doing lots of damage trolol.

Nightstalker

[Damage Roll(Swoop): (3d5+2) = 11]
[Damage Roll(Attack): (3d5+2) = 10]

Nightstalker swoops down upon the enemies and tears them a new one, knocking one of the bandits back into a tree----

Is it starting to make sense. I'm pretty sure I just caused anyone who was even considering the RPG system to run to the hills. There's no way I can convince you its not complicated without you playing it, so eh. If you guys are set on not doing the RPG system, hell I can quite as easily make it just regular thread. I just think the RPG system is something fun and new to try... xD

((Thoughts?))
Answer to all Questions: YES!

it would be a blast to be a Scourge Agent.

i just have one request ,if its possible, I would like to be a Paladin that Feel from Grace and is Twisted by the Scourge's promises of Power.

-Jandril Jenkins
01/08/2012 07:07 PMPosted by Jandril
i just have one request ,if its possible, I would like to be a Paladin that Feel from Grace and is Twisted by the Scourge's promises of Power

It's possible, sort of.

I don't know of lore that entirely supports that, I assume there would be higher roles that were corrupted. However using my RPG system that would be difficult. I'm thinking you would have to be a cultist, your story could support you being once a paladin, but you would not have your light powers or anything. Unless I can think of some way to work you in.

Then again, if we scrap the RPG system, we can easily work around it maybe... :)
Hmmmm....Seems simple enough, and I think I can see the math behind it all, kinda. I suppose it isn't all that bad *really regrets he passed up that one time to learn how to play Dungeons&Dragons*

Anyways, I suppose it would be something worth a try. You can count on me to play.