Healing in arenas...

Arenas
What's the point? Damage is out of control in Cataclysm. There's literally no reason to lose your sanity in healing.

My background:
I have a level 85 Disc. Priest that I play in PvP competitively. I currently have a 2s team and had a 3s team. Both teams were rated at least 2k.

I've noticed that healing in arenas is a nightmare. It seems that teams with all DPS combinations are a lot more viable than teams with a healer. While I understand the idea of peeling off of a player (and my teammates/I do this) as well as using cooldowns appropriately (which I do), it is nearly impossible for a healer to outheal the damage most DPS comps can do. I might be able to Pain Suppression and mitigate the damage once every 3 minutes, but afterwards, I won't be able to sufficiently heal as much as possible to keep me or my teammates alive against an all DPS match. I feel that most DPS "burst cooldowns" are really low when compared to healing cooldowns.

Now, I don't claim to be the best World of Warcraft arena player ever. I, however, am not a noob. I LoS. I juke. I kite when I can. I have every spell keybound (I don't click). I use addons to keep track of enemy cooldowns (Juked), arena unit frames/informational messages (Gladius), enemy casting bars (TidyPlates), focus macros (which is not that relevant for a Disc. Priest), and so on and so forth. I do everything in my power to stay alive as a healer. My teammates peel. I peel with Psychic Scream (and sometimes Mind Control). But, it just DOESN'T work. If one of my teammates or I get tunneled in an all DPS comp, that teammate/me will most likely die.

I have 4.3 k resilience, but I'm still squishy as hell. My teammates have around the same resilience as me with the lowest having 4.2 k. That's around 40% damage mitigation from players. I played an arena match recently where 1 Warrior (this is not a Warrior QQ thread. This is just an example. Same goes with nearly every other DPS out there) was tunneling me. That Warrior was able to SOLO me even though I utilized all my cooldowns to stay alive. It took him about 10 seconds to kill me (as soon as Pain Suppression wore off which I had to use to survive the initial burst he was doing). That's unacceptable. A DPS should never be able to annihilate a healer unless that DPS is significantly more geared than that healer. That Warrior had about the same gear as me. He just DID too much damage. Prior to Cataclysm, this would NEVER happen. In WoTLK, a DPS could NOT destroy an equally geared healer within 10-20 seconds. It would take SKILL for a DPS to win against a healer in Wrath. The DPS would have to actually interrupt casts the healer was making or dwindle down the mana pool. Now it seems that any DPS can just train a healer and win eventually.

So, I ask the forums, why should anyone play a healer in arenas? To me it seems that DPS comps are a lot easier to play and consume less time (you either win the match in a few minutes or lose). In fact, substituting a healer for a hybrid DPS/healer like a Feral Druid, Ret. Paladin, Elemental Shaman, etc... seems to be more viable nowadays.

tl;dr: Arenas now are all train one target and kill them. It feels like there is no more skill in arenas. I miss the WoTLK CC chains that people pulled off to win a match. I miss the clutch interrupts that DPS had to use to win matches.

inb4: Y U NO POST ON UR PRIEST CHARACTER. I would post on my Priest, but alas I can't seem to switch to my character on the website. QQ.
Ok. I know what you are saying. But in 2s we can oom a healer and he still survives for way too long. Maybe it is just me idk. Does anybody else have that problem in 2s?
01/14/2012 01:57 AMPosted by Arturtanrael
Ok. I know what you are saying. But in 2s we can oom a healer and he still survives for way too long. Maybe it is just me idk. Does anybody else have that problem in 2s?

Stop playing as Blood and play a real spec.
01/14/2012 01:57 AMPosted by Arturtanrael

Are you playing double DPS? Are your cooldowns up? Most healers have some sort of cooldown that prevents them from dying once every 3 minutes. Most DPS have burst cooldowns that are significantly lower than that.

I can't see how you wouldn't be able to kill a nearly OOM/entirely OOM healer with 2 DPS tunneling him while keeping their teammate CC'd. I've never experienced that problem. When I go OOM as a healer, I usually die. The only reason why I would not die is if my partner constantly wastes his time by peeling off of me.
I'm only unable to out heal dps when I'm hardcore cc'd. (like trained for up to 20seconds)
Otherwise I'm doing fine.

Disc also isn't a COMPLETELY healer spec, its the mix of offensive spells and healing. A disc priest SHOULDN'T be able to outheal 3 dps if they can still dish out very decent dps for a healer.

For me to dps for example I have to pop wings and spam exorcism and holy shock which is a horrible mana drain but it's mediocre damage...(20k damage in 8 seconds?)

I've seen disc priests alone burst some of my partners for 50k with a holyfire/mindblast/shadow word death combo. Which takes what, 5 seconds?

I'm not here to rip on Disc priests though, I play in the same rating, but hey, every class has its issues.
I feel warrior damage is pretty balanced. Its just a couple of the other classes who have high damage in conjunction with everything else they bring to the table.

And if you died just from a solo warrior on you using all your CD within 10 secs after a PS, I don't know what to say? I can solo bad priests who have poor CD management, cant fake cast etc, but the good ones I will never kill alone inside 10 secs after a pain sup.
Obviously I play frost in pvp. No single dps. I did play double but we are trying out dk/disc. Just was wondering if anybody else was having issues.

Edit to say. Wow. Yes it says im blood. Maybe take a look and see that it is a tanking spec. Maybe look at the frost spec next to it. I dislike you.
I feel warrior damage is pretty balanced. Its just a couple of the other classes who have high damage in conjunction with everything else they bring to the table.

And if you died just from a solo warrior on you using all your CD within 10 secs after a PS, I don't know what to say? I can solo bad priests who have poor CD management, cant fake cast etc, but the good ones I will never kill alone inside 10 secs after a pain sup.

It was just an example that recently happened to me. It was fresh in my mind so I thought I would comment on it. I honestly think that the Warrior got EXTREMELY lucky (he probably crit 3 or 4 times in a row). I wasn't bashing Warriors when I made that example. It's generically applied to all DPS.

As of right now, resilience doesn't seem to do enough for players. It doesn't mitigate enough damage. I've gone against Rogues that get extremely lucky and proc Vial of Shadows multiple times in a game, in particular during the beginning. Anyone that gets caught by such an opener is immediately dead within 2 seconds. That's just stupid, is it not? How frustrating it is to start an arena match and then just die a couple of seconds later? How is that competitive?
I dont rly know of anyone who gets !@#$ on that fast as a healer. I play an hpally / rdruid in 2s and i takes 2+ dps and a %^-* ton of cc (or a rly good dk) to take me down in a reasonable amount of time. On my hpally i roll with an aff lock and we virtually never lose to a double dps comp. Rly only just priest / spriest comps b/c of mana burn and extra pressure. I think your partners should peel better to help you live thru the initial zerg
Its because healers can queue arena 24/7 whenever they want
01/14/2012 11:46 AMPosted by Beariggy
But then again, DKs have a very difficult time surviving themselves: basically no sufficient cooldowns against melee except the trinket and IBF. In a triple DPS comp, the DK cannot even change to blood presence, because he MUST kill you in the first 30 seconds.

Wow.. I lol'd. News to me that "DKs have a very difficult time surviving themselves"
Ah yeah in an open field i can down a healer but if im being cced and he uses the freaking piller its almost impossible to down one ....i think its pretty out of control what healers can do with peels . Would love to see pillers going up or down so the healer cant hump the piller for 45 min !