Question to the Higher ups (new models)

General Discussion
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 Next
Does anyone else feel like undeads arent cool at all? For instance, even when i look at a level 85 undead mage i still feel like they arent that cool...

If Blizzard really does update the models, i would really like to see a big improvement in the undead.
So my question is, Why not transfer *more resources to getting new player models out if a whole lot of people want to see them right this moment? Do we as a people need to gather 1 thousand signatures to make this happen or is it a "Too bad, soo sad" situation?

Sutei - Daggerspine

It's absolutely not a "too bad" situation, Sutei. I know the concept of us having near unlimited resources to throw at whatever we want to is intriguing, but it's just not the case. We don't have an army of artists on layaway that we can transfer onto a project.

Just the same, we don't necessarily want to exponentially expand the head count of the art team to ensure a specific project gets done. There's a synergy we strive for on each of our development teams. In fact, we go to pretty great lengths to vet applicants whenever hiring for a new position. We need to know our iterative design philosophy and our core values are shared. So, if we were to hire several new artists to get this project finished, you certainly wouldn't see the results of that "right this moment."

Right now it's just difficult to give any sort of estimate on when new models might be available. Whenever a new expansion is in development there are many, many requests for new art assets. We're elbow deep in designing new gear sets, fleshing out the environments, finishing up several new creature models, etc.

If all of this makes you feel that much further away from ever seeing new character models, I can say the project is still a regular topic of discussion for us. We want to figure out the best way to introduce such a feature without shocking a huge chunk of the playerbase that doesn't really think about how their character's features could be improved every time they log into the game.[/quote

It's absolutely not a "too bad" situation, Sutei. I know the concept of us having near unlimited resources to throw at whatever we want to is intriguing, but it's just not the case. We don't have an army of artists on layaway that we can transfer onto a project.

Just the same, we don't necessarily want to exponentially expand the head count of the art team to ensure a specific project gets done. There's a synergy we strive for on each of our development teams. In fact, we go to pretty great lengths to vet applicants whenever hiring for a new position. We need to know our iterative design philosophy and our core values are shared. So, if we were to hire several new artists to get this project finished, you certainly wouldn't see the results of that "right this moment."

Right now it's just difficult to give any sort of estimate on when new models might be available. Whenever a new expansion is in development there are many, many requests for new art assets. We're elbow deep in designing new gear sets, fleshing out the environments, finishing up several new creature models, etc.

If all of this makes you feel that much further away from ever seeing new character models, I can say the project is still a regular topic of discussion for us. We want to figure out the best way to introduce such a feature without shocking a huge chunk of the playerbase that doesn't really think about how their character's features could be improved every time they log into the game.

^ I like this.

^^ I also like this.
01/19/2012 08:06 PMPosted by Neonrain

I'm not going to deny the importance of these things, but surely new character models should be a high priority. Gear will come and go, we'll out level zones and kill all it's new shiny creatures.

But our characters are the ones who will be with us that whole time, and beyond. We're quickly becoming a sore thumb in an ever increasingly detailed world that surrounds us, with even some of the new gloves having more detail on them than the older models faces.

So while i'm sure everybody appreciates the effort the art teams puts in to making everything around us look so good, I humbly ask your no doubt over worked art team to work on changing the thing we see most. Besides, I bet a lot of them would be chomping at the bit for a chance at doing it!

This is the person that I have been waiting for.
We have been with these characters in WoW.
This is "Us." in WoW. We look at ourselves 100% in game whether it be in the front, when we just want to admire how we look, then remember we've looked the same for all this time, then have someone that is identical to you run by.. Or whether it be at the back, when you're fighting an enemy. We'll go by the new levels, the new gear and new content. The new expansion...
But.. we'll always look the same...
Ps. "Unless you change the way our characters look."
Ps.Ps. "Or add the dance studio you told us about..."
Ps.Ps.Ps"Or add more customization options."
-Nod. From Ali!
Cookies, Blizzard! Cookies.
We want to figure out the best way to introduce such a feature without shocking a huge chunk of the playerbase that doesn't really think about how their character's features could be improved every time they log into the game.

As well as alot of other people..
I took this very dramatically.

We're already VERY outdated compared to Worgen and Goblin.
How's it going to be like with Pandaren side by side..
For example a Night Elf.

You need to do this Blizzard, before you lose a huge chunk of players.
I wish my femtroll could blink :(
Signed.
I agree with the general populace, you look at your character 100% of the time, given the age of this game, I would rather have the art team not worry about how grass looks on the ground or fire is on a fire place. My toon is always on the go in front of me and it sad when you can count the polygons :s
The world as a whole is great and the artists did a great job, but no one wants to purchase a new game to see great dungeons and great scenery, just to see a character that looked like it came from a Commodore 64 era. (a great console though :) )
01/19/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Zarhym
We're elbow deep in designing new gear sets, fleshing out the environments, finishing up several new creature models, etc.

Remove 50% of the effort on new mob models that we'll see on lvl87-88 and put on our toons, who we'll see from lvl1 to 90. Several times. Also, everytime we press C (on default) or look at our portrait. (...) Even clickin' on an enemy toon. And on raids. And on dungeons. And on arenas. (...)

Why revamping player models is such a low priority? (probably asked by hundreds of players and still no one answered)
Please, just give us a direct answer.
I don't often post on here but the fact that no models are being updated has really been a big disappointment.

Please tell me how this -
http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz175/snuzzled/tauren_yakko_compare.png

does not upset you?

Also please have a look at the older models doing monk animations -

http://us.media.blizzard.com/wow/mists-of-pandaria/images/bg-monk.png

take a long hard look at both models hands... It really is hard to look at. When you first play the game why would you choose a character that looks like it is from minecraft over a much better looking model from Cata forwards?

The models need to be updated.
Posted by Zarhym
We're elbow deep in designing new gear sets, fleshing out the environments, finishing up several new creature models, etc

I giggled at this... These "new" gear sets wouldn't happen to be based mostly upon removed items would they? :p
01/19/2012 07:26 PMPosted by Killercaitie
If all of this makes you feel that much further away from ever seeing new character models, I can say the project is still a regular topic of discussion for us. We want to figure out the best way to introduce such a feature without shocking a huge chunk of the playerbase that doesn't really think about how their character's features could be improved every time they log into the game.

Pigtail hairstyles for human females.

/tilts head to one side

Who dared to report this?! We must have human female pigtails! Please import the draenei female pigtails for us femmehumans.
Please, Zarhym, answer this:
Why was designing new race of Yak-men more important than using that time to update Taurens instead?

This is what it boils down to. You have resources, it is about how you decide to priorise them.

Seeing all these cool NPCs do not make me happy, it is a slap in the face. Why cannot I look that cool?

Luckily this is part of the answer, use those NPCs as a base for new player models. For example, Tyrande/Azhara is pretty much perfect. Add more faces and new hairstyles and your updated NE female is done! Please, do this sooner than later. And you do not have to do them all at once, you can release them one race at time; this would convince us that this thing is actually happening.

It is a sound business decision too. The character creation is the first thing the new player on his or her trial account sees. Character creation should make that potential new customer to go: 'Wow, I want to play that!' Thank you, I'm looking forward seeing new shiny character models soon!
It astounds me that you can go download a FREE MMO and have more selection and variety in the character screen than a multi-billion dollar company provides its playerbase. THEN, actually log on to this random MMO and get a sense of AWE and Epicness from end-game gear/items. The consistent reuse of weapon skins/textures is sad. THE SKIN color pallet is.... what is it? Some of the tones you get to select are just outright werid. The 5 piece sets?

Meanwhile. Thrall looks amazing, the rest of us look boring. Wearing the same armor as everyone one else. Blank looking faces... specially Human's. The only redeeming feature was introducing transmog. For the countless hours a player would spend on WoW, his/her appearance should reflect the effort and time spent on that toon. Not to mention the money spent just to log on.
How bout male humans get pigtails instead of human females? (sarcasm.) :D
Are you guys new to the forums? Please don't necro old threads, start a new one...
But if you start another we lose all the content ever built on the subject and even official comments on the same.
I agree that the game needs updating models of races playable.
I hear this issue since before the cataclysm
And nothing official in terms of a screenshot we have.
I can not stand seeing the same tired models of the 2004.
In fact, we go to pretty great lengths to vet applicants whenever hiring for a new position.

Interviewer: "Do you believe warlocks should be viable"

Candidate: "Yes"

Interviewer: "Thank you, no need to call us, we'll call you"
We want to figure out the best way to introduce such a feature without shocking a huge chunk of the playerbase that doesn't really think about how their character's features could be improved every time they log into the game.

make the "undead" look optional for our gear. Transmog is useless on us.
01/19/2012 09:30 PMPosted by Creepshow
If you do indeed in the future change the models give us the option at least to be able to stay the same without the update.I myself like the way things are and would hate to see the models I am used to and like get changed.If you change them fine,but let us choose if we want the new look or not thx.

It's simple:

when you roll out the new models, roll out free character re-customizations, and a toggle to go back to the legacy model.

End of story, with that nobody will be pissed.

If this is not done by MoP, then this quote is very true:
It's clear the income from wow is not staying in wow