Question to the Higher ups (new models)

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 23 Next
I don't really like this answer, mostly because it's been a regular topic of discussion for you guys for the last few years.

It's obviously something that the players desperately want, thus I feel it should be of a high priority to work on.

I agree entirely, I know the art team works really hard, and we're not expecting them to pull all night shifts to make this happen, but it does need to happen eventually. I'm sure i'm not alone in being envious of the attention to detail when Blood Elves and Draenei were released, even more so with the incredible expressions of the Worgen and Goblins. I'm sure that Panda's will look amazing too, but it means little to those of us who aren't these races. If anything, it's compounding a belief that we just need to suck it up and deal with how we look.

Water has been improved, the things we fight keep getting better and even the towns we reside in are starting to look alive. But the fact remains, when any old race appears, especially those from Vanilla, it's a feature that stands out for all the wrong reasons.

I appreciate that it's a risky thing to tamper with, but it's beginning to feel more like neglect than an act of caution.

01/19/2012 08:27 PMPosted by Thelootgnome
It's obviously something that the players desperately want, thus I feel it should be of a high priority to work on.

No, its a thing SOME players want. I, frankly, don't care. I'm sure a lot of people don't care. If it means that the game is more accessible because of low graphics load, then that's even better.

But that being said, if they were to introduce new models I would rather they take as much time as they need to get it right rather than rushing out some half-baked design filled with bugginess. Or maybe some folks want that so they've got something new to whine about.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Intaanis

If this guys work is anything to go by, one person doesn't need a large amount of time to make a new model. His updates are usually only like a week apart. Blizzard has tons of people who work on these models for a living; I don't see how it wouldn't be possible to get the new models out by MoP.
Also on Youtube, this Night Elf model update someone made. It is still unmistakably a Nelf, but it's been bought up to par with other graphical assets in WoW.

New models does not mean change how we look, simply improve on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4w56xK1JeQ&feature=related
01/19/2012 08:36 PMPosted by Votair
If this guys work is anything to go by, one person doesn't need a large amount of time to make a new model.

Frankly, no-one outside of current and former Blizzard employees knows what's required to implement new models. And the whole 'well it takes this guy a week to do it!' arguments are rubbish for that reason alone.
01/19/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Zarhym
We want to figure out the best way to introduce such a feature without shocking a huge chunk of the playerbase that doesn't really think about how their character's features could be improved every time they log into the game.

By placing one hand on a crystal ball and holding a sealed envelope to my forehead with the other, I am able to speak the following words of inevitable prophecy:

"We know some of you have been asking for new character models, and we are still discussing the best way to implement these, but they won't be in Mists of Pandaria at launch. We are hoping to add them in a patch later on if we can figure out how these should be done without negatively impacting the existing game and playerbase."
01/19/2012 08:49 PMPosted by Thelootgnome
If this guys work is anything to go by, one person doesn't need a large amount of time to make a new model.

Frankly, no-one outside of current and former Blizzard employees knows what's required to implement new models. And the whole 'well it takes this guy a week to do it!' arguments are rubbish for that reason alone.

But Blizzard has never stated that implementation is the issue. They've said time and time again that they haven't even decided what to do. No artist is even working on them according to Zar. So if implementation is at all an issue, despite them doing it in shorter than the time they have for MoP every couple of months, why don't they tell us?
I know I'd like to see better human models myself.. including, perhaps, a not-so bulky male model. Maybe a bit slimmer one, that is almost got a... what's the word... bishonen feel to it. <.<

I agree that it's not comparable, but it's all we have to go by.

The argument here isn't what others can do, it's what Blizzard has not done. Whether you play to RP, slay dragons, kill other players or all of the above, you will do so with the focus on one constant art detail. It should be more than discussed at meetings, it should be treated as a priority and indeed a selling point for future progress of the game.

The world around us can only improve so much before inevitably, the players themselves will need to bought up to date. I believe that when improving our animations for the new Monk class, Blizzard had a great opportunity to take the time and make sure the older races look just as good as the newer ones.

So while the basis of the argument itself may be compared to the creations of others, the point of it is to place emphasis on the value we hold to how we look in game.
Did a faction change the other day from worgen to undead rogue... holy crap the undead look like total crap!
In a way we know they are working on new models. I mean the Chuck Norris commercial used a MUCH higher polygon count human model than what we get in game and that human model was also shown in a image at Blizzcon (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/evilknick/2iivbpg.png). Even the new racial leader models we get likely are based on some internal models they have started. I doubt Blizzard will admit to much for the time being though until they have every model to a point where it's worth showing.

But Blizzard has never stated that implementation is the issue. They've said time and time again that they haven't even decided what to do. No artist is even working on them according to Zar. So if implementation is at all an issue, despite them doing it in shorter than the time they have for MoP every couple of months, why don't they tell us?

Their Lead Artist actually admitted that they are working on the new models during an interview at the end of Blizzcon. It's just a matter of time for the most part now.
[quote]

Right now it's just difficult to give any sort of estimate on when new models might be available. Whenever a new expansion is in development there are many, many requests for new art assets. We're elbow deep in designing new gear sets, fleshing out the environments, finishing up several new creature models, etc.

Yet more than half of dragon soul has bosses that are slightly tweaked models of pre existing characters / creatures.

There is waaaaaay too much recycling of them to make one more compelling or interesting than the other.

It is a huge deal I'm sure but in my opinion, totally worth it.
01/19/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Zarhym
without shocking a huge chunk of the playerbase that doesn't really think about how their character's features could be improved every time they log into the game.

While I certainly understand your overall reasoning, both as explained here and as has been put forth in other posts...

How do you know there's a "huge chunk" of the palyerbase that doesn't think about how their characters look's could be improved, and why do you think it would shock them if new models were introduced?

Those are not rhetorical or trollish questions, I'm simply curious about what you mean and how this may impact the timeline.

Their Lead Artist actually admitted that they are working on the new models during an interview at the end of Blizzcon. It's just a matter of time for the most part now.

The sheer amount of joy I would feel if this is true could not be contained. :D

If all of this makes you feel that much further away from ever seeing new character models, I can say the project is still a regular topic of discussion for us. We want to figure out the best way to introduce such a feature without shocking a huge chunk of the playerbase that doesn't really think about how their character's features could be improved every time they log into the game.

Pretty much every other second of my game time is devoted by me to thinking about how my character model could look better. The other seconds are devoted to how stupid capes look, how my shoulders are out of proportion with my character model, how my gear clips constantly, and/or how repetitive and boring spell casting animations are.

No matter where I am or what I'm doing in game I'm constantly staring at my character. It's impossible to escape from. The only time I stop noticing my character is when I'm staring at my ui. That's why I play a healer.